HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

jordin tootoo

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2005, 02:01 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Nashville and Carolina are the 'least' popular markets when hockey is concerned, neither area has long history in hockey, there are few rinks, few teams and hockey is not among the most popular sports there. How many NHL players come from Tennesee? How many universities with hockey programs there are in Tennesee?

Sorry but when I compare Nashville fans to other hockey markets, I simply can't think of many market with less knowledgeable fans on average. If you can, please tell us.
let's see some numbers to back that up. concrete numbers, not the ones you're guessing at. i mean, you're a pretty ubiquitous guy..being able to not only tell me how many colleges in tennessee have hockey programs(off the top of my head...UM, UTM, UTC, UTK, Vanderbilt, MTSU(our own Jonesey is on the team) and i'm sure there are even more i'm leaving out. Even more impressive, given all the hockey overseas you've bragged about seeing, all the stuff in the CHL you've bragged about seeing..and so on. You've got first-hand experience to back up ever trifling point, it seems. well..this is one you're off on. high school hockey is huge in both nashville and memphis, and in MY experience, my travel team(which i played on while in high school) defeated teams from the northeast and midwest. You're basing your entire argument on your perception and preconceived stereotypes of the city. There aren't any NHL players from Tennessee..but will there ever be? Not if people like you get your way. Furthermore...I'd put my own knowledge of hockey..and I'm sure that a few of the other Nashville posters...Enoch, Pred303, SmokeyClause, Triggrman, crossxcheck..just to name a few...would be more than willing to do the same...against yours. Most of us have followed hockey the bulk of our lives, and for you to come in and trivialize it through assumptions is more than a little insulting.

Old
01-14-2005, 02:02 PM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Nashville and Carolina are the 'least' popular markets when hockey is concerned, neither area has long history in hockey, there are few rinks, few teams and hockey is not among the most popular sports there. How many NHL players come from Tennesee? How many universities with hockey programs there are in Tennesee?

Sorry but when I compare Nashville fans to other hockey markets, I simply can't think of many market with less knowledgeable fans on average. If you can, please tell us.
Not saying I know all of hockey (thereby squashing your "less knowledgeable" theory), but to be fair, my first NHL experience was a Panthers Game vs. New Jersey in 1993 while attending college in West Palm Beach, FL. So it's safe to say I don't know as much as most others here. But for you to say that Nashville (and Carolina) are the 'least' popular markets does not equal that the fans are any 'less knowledgeable' than anywhere else. Just means they are the 'least popular markets (which is debatable, but I'll leave that for the contraction threads). Many of Nashville's fans are Detroit/Michigan transplants... and we know how 'less knowledgeable' those pesky Wings fans are, don't we?!?

Also, did you not READ NMK's post where he said HOCKEY has been in Nashville since the '60's?!? You even quoted it in your post, then went on to say:

Quote:
Nashville and Carolina are the 'least' popular markets when hockey is concerned, neither area has long history in hockey...
Just food for thought...

Old
01-14-2005, 02:22 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Please tell me how long you stayed in Nashville doing this study.....

Did you know Nashville held the ECHL record in attendance for a number of years?

Old
01-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
let's see some numbers to back that up. concrete numbers, not the ones you're guessing at. i mean, you're a pretty ubiquitous guy..being able to not only tell me how many colleges in tennessee have hockey programs(off the top of my head...UM, UTM, UTC, UTK, Vanderbilt, MTSU(our own Jonesey is on the team)
Quick website check:

UTM - hockey not listed in athletics list
UTK - hockey not listed in athletics list
State university - hockey not listed in athletics list
Lee University - hockey not listed in athletics list
Belmont University - hockey not listed in athletics list

All these universities had sports like golf, tennis, softball, soccer etc. on their lists but not single one of them had hockey in the list of athletics. Go and check it out yourself.

So I guess you were misinformed right?

Quote:
Even more impressive, given all the hockey overseas you've bragged about seeing, all the stuff in the CHL you've bragged about seeing
Never claimed to have seen CHL, as a moderator I expect you to have higher standards than that when it comes to posting.

Quote:
There aren't any NHL players from Tennessee..but will there ever be? Not if people like you get your way.
Doesn't that tell you anything??

Quote:
Furthermore...I'd put my own knowledge of hockey..and I'm sure that a few of the other Nashville posters...Enoch, Pred303, SmokeyClause, Triggrman, crossxcheck..just to name a few...would be more than willing to do the same...against yours.
Bring it on, anytime. Having played the game for 15+ years against some of the current NHL stars and been a hardcore hockey fan in general through-out my life (29 years), I have absolutely no problem to take all of you on anytime, anywhere. And I have absolutely no doubts what the outcome is either.

But let's put it this way:

Which one of the current hockey markets in your opinion is generally less knowledgeable about hockey than Nashville? I give you Carolina, what else?

Old
01-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
Also, did you not READ NMK's post where he said HOCKEY has been in Nashville since the '60's?!? You even quoted it in your post, then went on to say:

Just food for thought...
I should have been more specific, while there has been various hockey teams in the history, I meant hockey teams in the NHL/AHL/IHL level. There are leagues like UHL, CHL, USHL, ECHL all over NA but frankly how many people were even aware of them? Some of the hardcore fans who post here probably know them but large masses probably have never heard of them.

Old
01-14-2005, 03:50 PM
quartermaster29

Quote:
Quick website check:

UTK - hockey not listed in athletics list
State university - hockey not listed in athletics list

All these universities had sports like golf, tennis, softball, soccer etc. on their lists but not single one of them had hockey in the list of athletics. Go and check it out yourself.

So I guess you were misinformed right?
UTK has Division III team in the ACHA. It's not listed on the web site. I called the Sports Club director... and if memory does not fail me, they just played MTSU I think.

TSU ("State University") wouldn't have a hockey club I don't think... I could tell you why, but I might be accused of being racist. If you lived here, you'd understand.

I'd like to think that Atlanta would have less "knowledgeable" fans than Nashville. But then, you have never really clarified what it means to have "knowledgeable" fans.

Old
01-14-2005, 03:54 PM
quartermaster29

Quote:
I should have been more specific, while there has been various hockey teams in the history, I meant hockey teams in the NHL/AHL/IHL level. There are leagues like UHL, CHL, USHL, ECHL all over NA but frankly how many people were even aware of them? Some of the hardcore fans who post here probably know them but large masses probably have never heard of them.
I knew of the Nashville Knights (might be mistaking the name) in 1994 (I mentioned the NYJ and FLA game? That was my first game... I didn't really get into hockey until the early 2000's and I didn't start going to games regularly until the Preds traded Dunham). I even thought about going to some games (The Nashville Knights) but at the time I couldn't afford Macaroni and Cheese, much less a night at the hockey game.

But how does the lack of a major league of the IHL/AHL/NHL level equal "unknowledgeable" fans?

Old
01-14-2005, 03:56 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Hockey is hockey. The knowledge of the game doesn't depend on the level of pro play.

Old
01-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Pepper

Well if you divide the league to say 4 different levels, there are the Canadian cities + few U.S cities like Minnesota and Detroit in which hockey is the no.1 sport or close to it anyway. Then there's the 2nd level with hockey being well-known and one of the major sports (think north-east coast & LA etc). Then there are the relatively new markets where hockey is somewhat known & has real grassroot popularity (Florida, Dallas, Atlanta, Columbus etc). Then there are the completely new markets like Nashville, Carolina, maybe Phoenix.

But hey, these are only my subjective views, if you see it differently then we agree to disagree and go from there. It's not something you can measure accurately, it's just how I see it.

Old
01-14-2005, 03:58 PM
quartermaster29

Let me put it this way:

I fit the "unknowledgeable" hockey fan mold you are trying to paint all Nashville fans as. I don't know as much as you, I guarantee. But I'd like to think that the couple of years I've paid attention have taught me some things. So test me. Ask me questions starting with what you think are the easiest and work your way up to what you think are the hardest.

I promise to answer to the best of my ability, not seek help from more knowledgeable fans, and not google the questions. If I do not know a question I will flat out tell you so. Deal?

Old
01-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Pepper

Quote:
I knew of the Nashville Knights (might be mistaking the name) in 1994 (I mentioned the NYJ and FLA game? That was my first game... I didn't really get into hockey until the early 2000's and I didn't start going to games regularly until the Preds traded Dunham). I even thought about going to some games (The Nashville Knights) but at the time I couldn't afford Macaroni and Cheese, much less a night at the hockey game.

But how does the lack of a major league of the IHL/AHL/NHL level equal "unknowledgeable" fans?
I'm not talking about you or any Preds poster here in particular, I'm talking about on average. Pick randomly 100 people from Tennesee and ask how they feel about removing the redline and my guess is that you get atleast 90 "what?" -answers. Again, naturally I have no ways to prove it but it's my guesstimate. Ask the same question in Detroit or Minnesota and you'll get many real answers back.

Old
01-14-2005, 04:00 PM
quartermaster29

Quote:
Well if you divide the league to say 4 different levels, there are the Canadian cities + few U.S cities like Minnesota and Detroit in which hockey is the no.1 sport or close to it anyway. Then there's the 2nd level with hockey being well-known and one of the major sports (think north-east coast & LA etc). Then there are the relatively new markets where hockey is somewhat known & has real grassroot popularity (Florida, Dallas, Atlanta, Columbus etc). Then there are the completely new markets like Nashville, Carolina, maybe Phoenix.

But hey, these are only my subjective views, if you see it differently then we agree to disagree and go from there. It's not something you can measure accurately, it's just how I see it.
The day the Detroit Lions start playing good football you will see a decline in the popularity (not the death, just a decline) of hockey.

Old
01-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Hockey is hockey. The knowledge of the game doesn't depend on the level of pro play.
I fully agree. But we're talking about people on average here and I don't think hockey got much attention over there before Preds...Am I wrong?

Old
01-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Let me put it this way:

I fit the "unknowledgeable" hockey fan mold you are trying to paint all Nashville fans as. I don't know as much as you, I guarantee. But I'd like to think that the couple of years I've paid attention have taught me some things. So test me. Ask me questions starting with what you think are the easiest and work your way up to what you think are the hardest.

I promise to answer to the best of my ability, not seek help from more knowledgeable fans, and not google the questions. If I do not know a question I will flat out tell you so. Deal?
I have absolutely no intention of question your hockey knowledge, like I said I think most Preds posters (and I have no reason to believe that you're not part of this group) here know their stuff pretty well. I didn't mean to brag with my knowledge but since NMK wanted to flex some muscle, I replied.

Old
01-14-2005, 04:06 PM
quartermaster29

Quote:
I'm not talking about you or any Preds poster here in particular, I'm talking about on average. Pick randomly 100 people from Tennesee and ask how they feel about removing the redline and my guess is that you get atleast 90 "what?" -answers. Again, naturally I have no ways to prove it but it's my guesstimate. Ask the same question in Detroit or Minnesota and you'll get many real answers back.
But you didn't say "people from Tennessee" when referring to the "less knowledgeable" fanbase. You said:

Quote:
Fan favourite, especially in Nashville with less knowledgeable fanbase but I don't see too bright of a future for him in the NHL.
So if we amend the first statement and just ask Predator fans or Detroit fans, and I'd think you would find more than 10 that can give you an adequate answer to the red line question.

Old
01-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Pepper

Quote:
But you didn't say "people from Tennessee" when referring to the "less knowledgeable" fanbase. You said:

So if we amend the first statement and just ask Predator fans or Detroit fans, and I'd think you would find more than 10 that can give you an adequate answer to the red line question.
On that we agree, though naturally Nashville has newer fanbase than Detroit and thus not as many have picked up the finer points of hockey yet.

Old
01-14-2005, 04:16 PM
quartermaster29

Quote:
I have absolutely no intention of question your hockey knowledge
*whew* /underbreath thank God!

Old
01-14-2005, 04:26 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Pepper I don't think you meant this as offensive as we took it, but in general Nashville is more of a hockey town then you give it credit for being. Like I said we did hold the ECHL attendance record for years back in the early 90's.

We put 10k+ in the arena for the draft, that should say something about our fanbase.

Old
01-14-2005, 10:40 PM
gangstajerome

if the predators eventually folded would tootoo find work elsewhere in the NHL or would he just be lighting it up in the ECHL or AHL?

is his roster spot a product of a watered down NHL????? or would he be signed in a NHL with a few less teams than it currently has?

Old
01-14-2005, 10:57 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangstajerome
if the predators eventually folded would tootoo find work elsewhere in the NHL or would he just be lighting it up in the ECHL or AHL?

is his roster spot a product of a watered down NHL????? or would he be signed in a NHL with a few less teams than it currently has?

With some fine tuning, he could find a roster spot on most teams. Barring some rule changes that don't appear to be on the horizon, he does exactly what he needs to do. He changed the momentum of many games do to his hits or the penalties he drew. He needs some work on the offensive end and in his own zone, but he's good enough to play on most teams right now as a 4th liner. In time, he might find a niche as a third liner, but he'll have to get better at the traditional skillset to be a 3rd liner on any team save for the worst.

Old
01-16-2005, 03:32 AM
orcatown

Tootoo has had a poor season so far. His point production is minimal and rather than drawing penalties he is getting them. Has something like 128 mins. (highest by far on the team).

Tootoo is very compact and can deliver a good hit. But you can't spend the whole game just banging. You end up taking yourself out of the play.

However a guy like Tootoo can get the other team off stride and and have them looking for him rather than playing their game. I see him hanging around the NHL as a fourth liner.

Old
01-16-2005, 08:14 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Quote:
UTK has Division III team in the ACHA. It's not listed on the web site. I called the Sports Club director... and if memory does not fail me, they just played MTSU I think.

TSU ("State University") wouldn't have a hockey club I don't think... I could tell you why, but I might be accused of being racist. If you lived here, you'd understand.

I'd like to think that Atlanta would have less "knowledgeable" fans than Nashville. But then, you have never really clarified what it means to have "knowledgeable" fans.

www.icevols.com

Old
01-17-2005, 11:11 AM
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming

Atlanta has had hockey for a good 20-30 years..they had an NHL team in the 70's-80's. I would think it'd be the other way around, Nashville fans not being as knowledgeable as Atlanta fans.

Old
01-17-2005, 11:17 AM
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming

I went to the Griffins Vs. Milwaukee game on saturday night here in GR, and Bootland pounded Tootoo pretty good..Tootoo ended up turtling as Bootland wailed on him. I guess his half-shield didnt help him out too much.

Old
01-17-2005, 11:26 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBoltz56
I went to the Griffins Vs. Milwaukee game on saturday night here in GR, and Bootland pounded Tootoo pretty good..Tootoo ended up turtling as Bootland wailed on him. I guess his half-shield didnt help him out too much.

you're right. 5'9 Tootoo should have fought someone 8 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier than him, you know, proved he was a man.

Closed Thread