HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hagelin to have hearing on Sunday (UPDATE: Suspended 3 games)

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2012, 08:39 AM
vbman09

vCash: 500
Wonder if Melo knows who Messier is?

Old
04-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Abooch68

I love how Alfie looked up to see if the refs arm was in the air or not before he crumbled to the ice...

Old
GloveSave35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Hockey = great game
NHL = **** league
Ain't that the truth.

Old
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbman09 View Post
Wonder if Melo knows who Messier is?
Better question:

Does Melo know who Harry Truman or Gerald Ford are?

Old
04-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Graves94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
If their stars are pounded out, they will wither away. Just like how other loser piece of **** teams like them do.
Agreed. The Rangers major advantage in this series is their toughness, and they must use it, but smartly, meaning finishing all their checks, and using an aggressive forecheck.

Old
04-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I am not looking to escalate the situation. Take Smith or Neil off the ice for en extended period of time with Scott. It's a win for the Rangers. It's not as if Carkner went after Gaborik.
Clearly the Sens have determined that it is win at all costs. I agree with that. Take Karlsson out; period. Who cares if they didn't go after Gaborik? It's this type of passive, cowardly attitude that leads to early playoff exits. This is a war. To win the war you target their most valuable assets and take them out. Crush that little weany.

Old
04-16-2012, 08:48 AM
RFAN

Ok So as per norm Ranger bias in play. From listening to interview on B&C with Shanny, the Rangers should appeal no matter what.

As far as payback, the only payback that hurts is to win. Play the game that got you to top of league. Gooning it up is for desperate teams and Rangers aren't a desperate team. The Sens only won because they got a lucky bounce off a skate.

Go out a hit everyone and make Sens run around and take penalties.. Pick a moment and drill, cleanly, one of there top guys.

Old
04-16-2012, 08:48 AM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
The fact is that until the league wakes up and realizes that all players, regardless of star status, should be punished based on the action and not an injury we will always see inconsistent mind-boggling rulings and the NHL will continue to be seen as a laughable 2nd rate league.
This kind of nonsensical "summary discipline" coupled with the obvious bias directed toward some markets and against others and with the upcoming CBA expiration might signal that this could be the last year of the NHL as we know it.

With that in mind, I would have absolutely no qualms about dressing Scott and Deveaux and telling them to use their sticks as weapons. Go out and hurt somebody wearing the other sweater. It's obvious that kind of stuff is tolerated, while aggressive hockey play is not.

Something is going to break somewhere in these playoffs unless someone gets control of the situation, and it's obvious that Shanahan is either unwilling or too incompetent, while Bettman is too focused on advancing his Penguins and small-market agenda.

If winning the Cup means we'll have to play like the Charlestown Chiefs, so be it.

Old
04-16-2012, 08:49 AM
CH2

And now Shanahan back tracks. The guy is a joke.

Old
04-16-2012, 08:52 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFAN View Post
Ok So as per norm Ranger bias in play. From listening to interview on B&C with Shanny, the Rangers should appeal no matter what.
Here's the problem with that:

If the Rangers were too appeal, Hags wouldn't start serving his suspension until the result was ready [right?]. Meaning Hagelin would have to play some very angry Sens tonight and that could risk being suspended in the semis.

Old
04-16-2012, 08:53 AM
mug25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Better question:

Does Melo know who Harry Truman or Gerald Ford are?
Did Melo even pass the 1st grade?

Old
04-16-2012, 08:54 AM
mug25

I'm surprised no one else has asked this...

Where were Prust and Rupp during game 2? Their "toughness" was non-existent the entire game.

Old
04-16-2012, 08:57 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
I'm surprised no one else has asked this...

Where were Prust and Rupp during game 2? Their "toughness" was non-existent the entire game.
What do you expect Rupp to do with his two minutes of toi?

Old
04-16-2012, 08:58 AM
sens4life
#GotHamburger?

RT @aaronward_nhl: Clarification on MSG tweet.There will be no reduction in the 3 game suspension for Hagelin,regardless of Alfredsson's status. #TSN

Old
04-16-2012, 08:58 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
While I think the NHL really needs to get it's act together in regards to the consistency of it's discipline, Im pretty disgusted with some of you questioning Alfredson's integrity...I highly doubt he dove or faked injury...him being out of the lineup hurts Ottawa.
true, except they still managed to win saturday without him and rumor is that he will be back in monday night (just like mario was).

Old
04-16-2012, 09:01 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
And now Shanahan back tracks. The guy is a joke.
What did he say??

Old
04-16-2012, 09:03 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
RT @aaronward_nhl: Clarification on MSG tweet.There will be no reduction in the 3 game suspension for Hagelin,regardless of Alfredsson's status. #TSN
aka Shanny got a talking to after B&C interview.

Again, the league couldn't be more transparent, right now.

To me, this is a disgusting reflection on the league. It's so blatant, and widespread at this point, that the league is basically giving the middle finger to everyone while saying:

"We don't care what you people think, this is a business and we're going to protect are stars regardless of what they do, or what is done to them."

Old
04-16-2012, 09:06 AM
NYR Viper

Guys, I mentioned this another thread already, the use of the derogatory name "Senaturd" will NOT be allowed in this forum. The Sens Mods have been kind enough to infract anyone using the term "Rags" on their forum, we will be doing the same. it is okay to get heated, but please keep it civil.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
true, except they still managed to win saturday without him and rumor is that he will be back in monday night (just like mario was).
Alfredsson would be stupid to come back any time before a potential Game 6.

Even Mario was smart enough to wait until Game 1 against Boston that year. Contrary to popular opinion around here, Mario DID NOT PLAY in any more games against the Rangers in that series in 1992. He WAS NOT HURT, but didn't play because it would have been too obvious. Pittsburgh took a calculated risk that losing Mario was less of a blow to them than the Rangers losing Graves.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Onion Boy

Call me late to the party, but I just watched Shanny's official explanation videos on the NHL website.

First time I've watched replays of either incident.

I can understand that the Hagelin hit looks really bad. We know that he is a not a dirty player and probably didn't mean to do what he did. But the result is pretty vicious so I can't argue the suspension, though I think 3 games for a first-time offender is pretty hefty.

1 game for Carker is a joke. He punched Boyle in the face with his fist, twice, before continuing to pound on him. No place in the game for that. Neil did it the right way later, squaring up and waiting for Boyle to drop his gloves. Clear intent to injure by Carker. Should be same suspension as Hagelin, or more. He is a repeat offender.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Asham/Adams after yesterday. If Hags got 3, Asham should be done for the series (cross check to face, punch to back of head on ice). Adams, who knows (repeated punches to back of head, 3rd man in).

We'll see.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

It used to be that 1 game in the playoffs = about 3 games during the regular season, when talking about suspensions and rightfully so. Each game means more right now.

So that was a 9-game suspension worthy hit? I don't think so. Shanahan seems to have forgotten this unwritten rule.

Old
04-16-2012, 09:13 AM
mug25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
What do you expect Rupp to do with his two minutes of toi?
Which leads me to ask, if Torts isn't even going to play Rupp why would we even put Scott in?

Old
04-16-2012, 09:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The problem is several fold:

1) There's too much editorializing. In the Carkner video, Shanahan says that Carkner goes after Boyle in response to Boyle going after Karlsson in the last game. This is irrelevant. It's also not an excuse.

2) There is no set guidelines for suspensions and infractions. A headshot with a shoulder is two games. And an headshot with an elbow is three games. Based on what? The decision on number of games are nothing short of arbitrary.

3) The result of the infraction is not the issue. The infraction itself is the issue. The fact that Boyle wasn't hurt doesn't make what Carkner did any less egregious. Or, to separate myself from the Rangers, the fact that Zetterberg was fine doesn't make what Weber did any less egregious. And how a person responds to a headshot varies based on the individual.

4) Is prior history relevant or not? This is a first time infraction for Hagelin. He's never even receive a major penalty. Carkner has a history of this behavior. If it's not relevant, why would Shanahan even mention it in his Carkner video.

5) This is setting what I think is a dangerous precedent. By saying that Boyle chose not to fight is not an exoneration of Carkner. If the Rangers dress Scott and he goes after Spezza or Karlsson and knocks them out of the game, then any suspension that Scott may get is a trade the Rangers would gladly make. How is this player safety?

04-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

i don't think this team has a care in the world. they're going to come in and win a gritty game like they have done all season. refs are HOPEFULLY going to call the game really tight knit and if that happens we benefit. we beat them playing hockey game 1, we'll do the same in game 3.

i'm really hoping dubinsky soars. this is his type of game. he does better when he's playing with a purpose. nobody really went after him this season... i just wish he'd be more physical and run his mouth less

Old
04-16-2012, 09:22 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Alfie on the ice right now for the sens morning skate according to Pat Leonard.

Closed Thread