HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF | Game 2 | 7:30 PM | (6) New Jersey Devils vs. (3) Florida Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 03:42 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
ECQF | Game 2 | 7:30 PM | (6) New Jersey Devils vs. (3) Florida Panthers

~Florida Panthers Social Network~

Twitter Facebook Youtube

ESPN.Com Game 2 Preview

FloridaPanthers.Com

Stephen Weiss and the repaired smile of a franchise

Devils-Panthers: Five players to watch

Current Cats have many similarities to '96 edition

Panthers look to regroup after Devils take Game 1

George Richards' On Frozen Pond Blog

Harvey Fialkov's Sun-Sentinel Blog

NewJerseysDevils.Com

Devils feel they could take control of series with win in Game 2

Henrique, Gionta enjoyed Stanley Cup debuts

DeBoer: Popular with Devils, less so with Panthers

New Jersey Devils Fan Blog

Playoff Return:

Florida opened up play in the 2012 postseason exactly 12 years to the day it started its last playoff series, a four-game sweep by New Jersey in the 2000 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. Florida finished the 2011-12 season 38-26-18 and its 94 points were its most since totaling 98 in 1999-2000 (43-27-6-6).

Game 2:

Florida is looking for its second win in its seventh Game 2, having not won the second game of a series since taking a 6-2 win vs. Boston on April 22 in the 1996 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.

Sunrise Stephen:

Stephen Weiss made his NHL playoff debut Friday after skating 10 seasons with the Panthers, totaling 390 points (144-246-390) in 637 games. He was the Panthers’ fourth overall selection in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft, held in Sunrise. This season, he became the franchise leader in assists with his 232nd on Jan. 16 and the franchise leader for most games played with his 614th game on Feb. 23. He also ranks second in franchise history in points and fourth in goals.

G-52 Bomber:

In his first NHL playoff game Friday, Jason Garrison registered six hits –more than he had in any game during the regular season. Heading into the year, Jason Garrison had totaled 26 points (7-19-26) in 113 career games spanning three seasons. He shattered that total by netting 33 points (16-17-33) in 77 games. His 16th goal on March 23 set a Panthers franchise record for most goals by a defenseman in a single season and he tied a franchise record for most power-play goals by a defenseman with 9 –just one second away from breaking the mark on March 13. His first 13 goals of the season were all slapshots from the point, with his defensive partner, Brian Campbell, earning an assist on most of them.

Helping Hands:

Mikael Samuelsson led all players in Game 1 with two assists and has 55 points (22-33-55) in 93 career playoff games. The Stanley Cup winner totaled 28 points (13-15-28) in 48 games with Florida during the regular-season after registering a goal and two assists in three games with Vancouver to start the season.

Starting Struggles:

New Jersey’s 26 shots on goal in the opening frame Friday set a Panthers playoff record for most shots against in a single period, topping the previous record of 24, set in the second period of a 4-3 overtime win vs. Philadelphia in the 1996 Eastern Conference Semifinals on May 9, 1996. According to Elias Sports Bureau, it is the most goals allowed in a playoff period across the NHL since San Jose totaled 27 in the second period vs. Calgary on April 10, 2008.

Big Story
:

The Devils jumped out to a 3-0 lead and held on for a 3-2 victory in Game 1 of this Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series against the Panthers on Friday at Bank Atlantic Center. Center Patrick Elias scored on his 36th birthday and wingers Dainius Zubrus and Ryan Carter also connected as the Devils scored three times in the first period. Sean Bergenheim and Kris Versteeg scored for the Panthers in the second, but Devils goalie Martin Brodeur made six of his 24 saves in the third to give his team the victory. The Devils have won seven in a row, counting the last six games of the regular season, and have given up only 10 goals in that span.

Team Scope:

Devils: Brodeur recorded his 100th playoff victory on the night coach Pete DeBoer notched his first postseason triumph. DeBoer was coach of the Panthers the previous three seasons before joining the Devils last summer. Brodeur, who started his 171st consecutive playoff game, raised his record to 100-82. He's now 5-0 against Florida in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"It's great," DeBoer said. "Two milestones: my first and his 100th. That's a lot of wins. He's our backbone. He's the best ever and it's a great accomplishment. It's going to be hard to beat."

Panthers: The Panthers were able to rally to within one goal in the second when they tightened things up in their own end. Coach Kevin Dineen started Jose Theodore between the pipes and the veteran keeper, who allowed three goals on 26 shots in the first, finished the game with 35 stops. The Panthers know they can't afford another slow start.

"The next one is the biggest game and it goes from there," Theodore said. "You definitely don't want to go into their building down 2-0. We settled down in the second and it turned out to be too late. We have to be ready from the start."

Who's Hot
:

Versteeg scored his 12th playoff goal on Friday and now has 12 goals and 33 points in 51 career playoff games. … Brodeur has won six of New Jersey's last seven games, while allowing just nine goals.

Injury Report
:

For the Panthers, forwards Matt Bradley (concussion) and Jack Skille (shoulder) are out. … Defenseman Henrik Tallinder (blood clot) and center Jacob Josefson (wrist) are out for the Devils.

Stat Pack
:

Elias scored the 41st playoff goal of his NHL career on Friday, tying him with Teemu Selanne for eighth place among active players. Including the last five regular-season games, Elias now has a six-game point-scoring streak, during which he has two goals and nine points.

Puck Drop
:

"That's great for him," Brodeur said of DeBoer earning his first playoff victory on Friday. "I'm sure he'll get a lot more than me if he coaches like that. That's great, I think, for any kind of coach that it's his first postseason win and even for (Ilya Kovalchuk) that's his second (playoff) win, isn't it? It's kind of nice to be able to talk about these things. That means we were successful that night."

GO CATS GO!!! GO CATS GO!!!

GO CATS GO!!! GO CATS GO!!!

Last edited by pb1300: 04-15-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old
04-15-2012, 04:57 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
A 60 minute effort this time boys, please.

Old
04-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Acadmus

Come on, Cats - you shook off the jitters after period 1 on Friday night, show the league that you've got what it takes to win your first playoff game in 15 years

04-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Can't wait.. As Bart Scott coined the term in the nfl playoffs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7KSkZxt_zo

Old
04-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Tuco

It's our time tonight. We will win.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Boooooth10

I guess we're stuck with having to listen to Milbury tonight. The game is on Versus instead of FSN.

Old
04-15-2012, 08:49 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

cant wait to go to the game tonight. Have a good feeling about this one.

Great job on the gdt as always PB

Old
04-15-2012, 09:11 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1165119

All in on the Panthers.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Great GDT!!

But didnt anyone (Frank Forte?) say FSN would broadcast EVERY Game of the playoff..So much for that..And of course the idiots like Milbury and McGuire. Really hope that he will be in his lovely city Detroit or Philly. Whatever!
NBC sucks ass!

Old
04-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Amazing GDT again pb1300! No more jitters, no more waiting, the Panthers first playoff victory since 1997 comes tonight. Make it happen Cats!

Sidenote: I did not have time to comment on the 1st GDT so regarding last game, I attended my first playoff game ever. It was electric, like nothing I've ever seen. Everything was louder, from the opening faceoff, every hit, our goals, and the chants of Let's Go Panthers (which you could get going without much difficulty finally!) and of course the extremely loud Ref, You Suck chants. It was atmosphere I hope to return to very very soon

GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Old
04-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Amazing GDT again pb1300! No more jitters, no more waiting, the Panthers first playoff victory since 1997 comes tonight. Make it happen Cats!

Sidenote: I did not have time to comment on the 1st GDT so regarding last game, I attended my first playoff game ever. It was electric, like nothing I've ever seen. Everything was louder, from the opening faceoff, every hit, our goals, and the chants of Let's Go Panthers (which you could get going without much difficulty finally!) and of course the extremely loud Ref, You Suck chants. It was atmosphere I hope to return to very very soon

GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully same and better atmosphere tonight with a win, except for the refs you suck chants, which hopefully will not be necessary. They really took us out of that first period with that bad call which cost us a goal, and then the late soft penalty that pretty much killed our chances to tie late.

By the way, the playoffs games back in 96 and 97 were even much louder and more exciting. The smaller and closer arena feel had a lot to do with it, but the fans back then were non stop for the whole game.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:14 AM
FinallyWeissIsGone
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to FinallyWeissIsGone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Hopefully same and better atmosphere tonight with a win, except for the refs you suck chants, which hopefully will not be necessary. They really took us out of that first period with that bad call which cost us a goal, and then the late soft penalty that pretty much killed our chances to tie late.

By the way, the playoffs games back in 96 and 97 were even much louder and more exciting. The smaller and closer arena feel had a lot to do with it, but the fans back then were non stop for the whole game.
Yup. The Miami Arena and those steep steps/seats made it feel like you were lower bowl in the last row.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:26 AM
blackpanthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThugsNHarmony View Post
Yup. The Miami Arena and those steep steps/seats made it feel like you were lower bowl in the last row.
Not to mention the capacity was only around 15,000 so it was smaller than the BAC

Old
Frek
WE SEE RED!

vCash: 679
Yay I get to watch this one!!!. I watched the last one really late the other night and missed all the GDT fun.

My one comment from last game is that I think our Panthers more than proved that without the refs outright blowing a call we would have won that game. It's our turn tonight for the calls to go our way for once.

I really want to see Mathias step it up. He's really strong on the puck and he's well past due to make a difference.

Play hard tonight guys and we'll win this one.

LET'S GO PANTHERS!!!!

oh and btw, excellent job guys who made it to the game. For the first time in a long time I could actually hear the crowd on FSN cheering. I really hope to make it to a game if the series comes back here later.

Old
jglenn001

Send a message via AIM to jglenn001
We can do this! Lets Go Cats!

Old
04-15-2012, 11:29 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

HF ROLL CALL ....between lst and 2nd per ....by 101 near panther land entrance... This time we will be up 3-0!!!!

Old
04-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
HF ROLL CALL ....between lst and 2nd per ....by 101 near panther land entrance... This time we will be up 3-0!!!!
I'll be there. I'm in 119 so it's on the opposite side of the rink, but i'll be there.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:05 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Mission: KOVY2012!

Win, please..

Old
04-15-2012, 12:06 PM
UKPanther
@GJenSports

Oh how I wish this was one of the early games...I shall be supporting in my sleep!

Old
04-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
I'll make sure we take a picture in the 1st period intermission together so everyone show up in front of panther land like before (section 101)

Old
04-15-2012, 12:28 PM
RainingRats

I'd really like Dineen to mix the lines up. I'm pretty sick of the same lines doing nothing offensively. We can't get past two goals a game and I'd like Barch in there to mix things up. Barch was very good during the regular season and we could have used him last game to possibly change the momentum.

This team has struggled offensively for the past month and a half and Dineen doesn't try anything. It's really frustrating.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:29 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Done!

This is our game!!!! Let's get it done tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I'd really like Dineen to mix the lines up. I'm pretty sick of the same lines doing nothing offensively. We can't get past two goals a game and I'd like Barch in there to mix things up. Barch was very good during the regular season and we could have used him last game to possibly change the momentum.

This team has struggled offensively for the past month and a half and Dineen doesn't try anything. It's really frustrating.
And this is so true. Can't believe he doesn't try anything new. Whole team played better when Barch was in there, and he did good himself too.

Old
04-15-2012, 12:36 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA View Post
Done!

This is our game!!!! Let's get it done tonight!

And this is so true. Can't believe he doesn't try anything new. Whole team played better when Barch was in there, and he did good himself too.
I don't see much of a difference between Barch and Sturm skill wise. Sturm can kill penalties but he's not special. He's no Goc on the PK. Barch brings something to the lineup that nobody else on the roster can. The whole playoff experience thing is overblown.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:16 PM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frek View Post
Yay I get to watch this one!!!. I watched the last one really late the other night and missed all the GDT fun.

My one comment from last game is that I think our Panthers more than proved that without the refs outright blowing a call we would have won that game. It's our turn tonight for the calls to go our way for once.

I really want to see Mathias step it up. He's really strong on the puck and he's well past due to make a difference.

Play hard tonight guys and we'll win this one.

LET'S GO PANTHERS!!!!

oh and btw, excellent job guys who made it to the game. For the first time in a long time I could actually hear the crowd on FSN cheering. I really hope to make it to a game if the series comes back here later.

Get to watch this one too. I fly into jacksonville around 6:30 and then I'm gonna floor it back to gville. I'm hoping to only miss the first period or so. I've been in DC all weeked for orientation for my graduate program at GW, and Friday night was this meet and greet with current students/alumni from the program I'm entering... So I kind of had to attend for networking purposes. I managed to get an interview with the department of commerce though... So it was kind of worth it.

On an unrelated note... The move to DC means I'll be able to go to panthers/caps away games from now on... Which is awesome!!!!!

GO CATS GO!!!!

Old
04-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post

The team has struggled offensively all season. Dineen has tried every line combo known to man. I recall many here being upset with some of his combos.

Closed Thread