Notices

It's Time for Tyler to Step Up

Old
04-15-2012, 06:13 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

vCash: 500
It's Time for Tyler to Step Up

If he wants to be a big shot in this league, the table is set.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:26 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
If he wants to be a big shot in this league, the table is set.
There are many wearing the Black and Gold who need to step it up, hardly like Segs is the only one

While I agree with your sentiments, there needs to be an understanding that yes, the kid had a great sophmore season, he showed lots of signs that he`s maturing, figuring out how to do the small/right things, but......he`s still a kid, and during the season we saw dips in his play which is absolutely 100% natural for a young player.

Last year when he stepped into playoff action, he was a healthy scratch, and he burst outta the gate, he got a taste of playoff hockey and this is dangerous for fans sometimes, they automatically feel that due to the fact he`s been "there" before he should naturally be able to do it again.

Difference is, and this is a biggy, he hardly had opponents so focused on him last year when he stepped in, more focus elsewhere, not on the kid who barely cracked 20pts. Different story this year, I`d say more teams have game plans set up specifically to shut down Bergy`s line with Segs on it. I agree, the boys have to fight through it, but this isn`t a case of Segs not trying to, it`s a case of him figuring out how to, and finding that fire inside to do it.

All falls on experience, hopefully he, like about half of his teammates pick up the "dirty" part of their game, simplify it, that`s exactly what the Capitals have done, you couldn`t play a more simplified game then what they are playing now. The kid will be fine

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Numbah4

At least his line has had some scoring chances. Krejci-Lucic-Peverly has been our worse line. I'm not joking. Yes, even worse than the 4th line. Did Krejci line have as good a chance as Campbell deflection from the slot after a nice cycle? The answer is no. 5 ON 5 they have been pathetic. That's where it has to start. Your supposed top line.

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:50 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah4 View Post
At least his line has had some scoring chances. Krejci-Lucic-Peverly has been our worse line. I'm not joking. Yes, even worse than the 4th line. Did Krejci line have as good a chance as Campbell deflection from the slot after a nice cycle? The answer is no. 5 ON 5 they have been pathetic. That's where it has to start. Your supposed top line.
Krejci did this too against the Habbies, terrible first round series, he didn`t look at all right yesterday, maybe it was neck stiffness or whatever, he needs to however be reminded that the playoffs have started, I had no issues with Looch and Pevs (who still looks a touch off with the timing) Krejci was horrific though, Marchand seems to be getting a free pass here too, kid`s been brutal IMO

Old
04-15-2012, 07:07 AM
spokedB

I agree with ODAAT on NOT singling out Seguin. He is pretty young to put the entire load on his shoulders - especially given that hockey is a team sport in the greatest possible sense. I recall this board led by a pundit who shall remain unnamed dumping all over Joe T. who went on to become - not the Second Coming - but a pretty fair player.

Now, let all the responses "We wouldn't have gotten...had Joe not been traded" begin.

spokedB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:13 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokedB View Post
I agree with ODAAT on NOT singling out Seguin. He is pretty young to put the entire load on his shoulders - especially given that hockey is a team sport in the greatest possible sense. I recall this board led by a pundit who shall remain unnamed dumping all over Joe T. who went on to become - not the Second Coming - but a pretty fair player.

Now, let all the responses "We wouldn't have gotten...had Joe not been traded" begin.
Oh gawd no, not the Joe arguement again

Totally different hurdles for TS this playoff, this year, everyone knows what he`s capable of and they are paying defensive attention to him, last year, in spite of a crazy few games where he lit it up, he was hardly the defensive focus of opponents, all part of the learning curve for him and it`ll make him stronger moving forward.

I recall Crosby`s first playoff taste (and no, not comparing talent just the experience aspect), I think he put up a ppg, but he was an absolute non factor, hadn`t seen that kind of checking, next season, with that experience behind him, lit it up for the Pens big time

Old
04-15-2012, 07:14 AM
GoBs

I single out Seguin as well. He looks timid out there. When your not driving the net or going into the corners nothing good will happen. How about going down the boards for once and taking the hit to make the play instead he cuts into the middle and loses the puck or try's to ale the short pass and it gets picked off. Segs has been the biggest disappointment is playoffs.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:16 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

How about instead of singling out Seguin, while I agree he does need to step it up, the whole top 6 needs to step it up.

Peverley can't be on the first line, I'm sorry, he just isn't good enough for first line minutes and hes especially not good enough to be facing other teams top D pairings.

I would go with this to mix it up a little.

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Marchand-Bergeron-Rolston
Pouliot-Kelly-Peverley
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Seguin and Peverley both look terrible, absolutely terrible. The other 4 in the top 4 aren't playing so good either.

Time to mix it up, because, quite frankly, 2 goals in 2 games ain't gonna get it done. That whole top 6 needs a shakeup.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:19 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
How about instead of singling out Seguin, while I agree he does need to step it up, the whole top 6 needs to step it up.

Peverley can't be on the first line, I'm sorry, he just isn't good enough for first line minutes and hes especially not good enough to be facing other teams top D pairings.

I would go with this to mix it up a little.

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Marchand-Bergeron-Rolston
Pouliot-Kelly-Peverley
Paille-Campbell-Thornton
Sorry, I don`t touch that 3rd line, if Pevs moves anywhere, it`s to flank Bergy, and that`s the ONLY change I`d make if I even made one change. Pevs is more than talented enough to face whatever D pairing, let`s not forget, the guy missed almost 6 weeks of hockey, and is still clearly not as sharp as were used to seeing him be, Krejci is the issue on the 1st, and Marchand is my biggest issue on the 2nd.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:20 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Seguin and Peverley both look terrible, absolutely terrible. The other 4 in the top 4 aren't playing so good either.

Time to mix it up, because, quite frankly, 2 goals in 2 games ain't gonna get it done. That whole top 6 needs a shakeup.
Other than the Pens/Flyers series, EVERY series is suffering from power outages, tis the playoffs, this is how most games are.

Obiously a GF average of 1 isn`t acceptable, but 6 packs aren`t gonna be laid on the Caps, they are in 100% defence mode

Old
04-15-2012, 07:21 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Sorry, I don`t touch that 3rd line, if Pevs moves anywhere, it`s to flank Bergy, and that`s the ONLY change I`d make if I even made one change. Pevs is more than talented enough to face whatever D pairing, let`s not forget, the guy missed almost 6 weeks of hockey, and is still clearly not as sharp as were used to seeing him be, Krejci is the issue on the 1st, and Marchand is my biggest issue on the 2nd.
Yeah well, Kelly and Peverley always play good with each other. That third line is used to people switching in and out, whether it has Caron, Pouliot, Kelly, Rolston and Peverley.

Peverley looks like **** on the first line, he isn't so great on the second line either, he needs to play with Kelly and produce against bottom pairing D pairs.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:22 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Yeah well, Kelly and Peverley always play good with each other. That third line is used to people switching in and out, whether it has Caron, Pouliot, Kelly, Rolston and Peverley.

Peverley looks like **** on the first line, he isn't so great on the second line either, he needs to play with Kelly and produce against bottom pairing D pairs.
Again, why break up the line that has done EVERYTHING that the top 2 lines should be doing??

Old
04-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Again, why break up the line that has done EVERYTHING that the top 2 lines should be doing??
To try and mix it up so the other lines can contribute something?

The third line plays solid who ever it has on it, it's the first two lines that need to be changed.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Shaun

The whole team should stop playing like ****.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:24 AM
GoBs

Quote:
When Claude played Rolston on the first line yesterday the Caps couldn't get the puck out of their zone. It is a drastic change, but if we drop another game it might be worth trying.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:26 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
To try and mix it up so the other lines can contribute something?

The third line plays solid who ever it has on it, it's the first two lines that need to be changed.
Pevs down to Bergy`s line, Segs up, that`s all I`d do, I won`t disagree that the 3rd line plays solid with whomever, but the clear chemistry those 3 have right now just isn`t the kind that a coach typically is interested in breaking up.

There`s enough skill/talent on the 1st two lines that they should fight through this, it ain`t like they are playing against a team who has 6 All-Star defenseman out there.

Old
04-15-2012, 07:26 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
When Claude played Rolston on the first line yesterday the Caps couldn't get the puck out of their zone. It is a drastic change, but if we drop another game it might be worth trying.
Big "if" won`t need to happen

Old
04-15-2012, 07:34 AM
bme44

I might be in the minority here but I think it is time to dress Caron. The Bruins are looking for a stonger net front game and Caron will provide that . Sit Thorton and and change up the lines. Start Seguin with Krejci and Lucic ,if they are plying well great if not move him to the fourth line and use him on the power play

bme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:40 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bme44 View Post
I might be in the minority here but I think it is time to dress Caron. The Bruins are looking for a stonger net front game and Caron will provide that . Sit Thorton and and change up the lines. Start Seguin with Krejci and Lucic ,if they are plying well great if not move him to the fourth line and use him on the power play
So now we sit the same Thornton that many (myself included) here, and his teammates pointed to as being a massive spark in last years run for a kid with exactly 0 games on his playoff resume???

Sorry, I`m a big Caron guy, I just don`t see any move like that necessary nor wise, ya wanna send a message, ya send it to Marchand, sit his arse upstairs and have him try and remember what playoff hockey is about, I want to see that guy who made opponents want to beat him senseless, were seeing a creampuff and passive Marchand, toss Caron in there, put Marchy back in for game 4, message sent

Old
04-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Guys Seguin had 4 points in one game last year...and Krejci lead the league in playoff scoring...so shut up.
Let's see them do it again!

Old
04-15-2012, 08:10 AM
bme44

Quote:
So now we sit the same Thornton that many (myself included) here, and his teammates pointed to as being a massive spark in last years run for a kid with exactly 0 games on his playoff resume???

Sorry, I`m a big Caron guy, I just don`t see any move like that necessary nor wise, ya wanna send a message, ya send it to Marchand, sit his arse upstairs and have him try and remember what playoff hockey is about, I want to see that guy who made opponents want to beat him senseless, were seeing a creampuff and passive Marchand, toss Caron in there, put Marchy back in for game 4, message sent
I understand your point, I just think Caron is a player that goes to the front of the net well and should be in the line up .Yes I think there needs to be atleast one change made to the line for the next game. Who needs the wake up call the most of the forwards is quite arguable when you score two goals in two games

bme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:11 AM
C77

I think the Bruins need to win more battles in the Washington end.

They need to put solid body checks on Caps players to eliminate them from the play....Then the open ice skill guys like Krejci and Seguin will have more space.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:20 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
I single out Seguin as well. He looks timid out there. When your not driving the net or going into the corners nothing good will happen. How about going down the boards for once and taking the hit to make the play instead he cuts into the middle and loses the puck or try's to ale the short pass and it gets picked off. Segs has been the biggest disappointment is playoffs.
Agree big time. Segs is what he is and what we see is what he is. I have said in other threads he looks good at doing nothing. (spare us he lead us in scoring)

Look at the flyers rookies, you either have it or you dont. Been watching/playing hockey for 48 years and rearly do you see players all of a sudden become " impact players " when is counts in the playoff wars. I really truly hope I'm wrong about this kid but he make Phil K look like Cam N.

Flame away...

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote