HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQF | Game 3 | Nashville Predators @ Detroit Red Wings | 12:23 PM EDT | NBC CBC RDS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2012, 05:26 PM
  #751
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I hate to say it but we have been atrocious at keeping opposing forwards away from the net for a few years now. The positional invincibility of even a Lidstrom is at this point a myth. I rarely see another team give up the low slot as quickly as the Wings do. A bit of movement on the offensive side and it's open and you gotta rely on a defensive move that keeps the pass or shot from going to its intended target.

I honestly think our D might just be really slow.
agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
I don't see us going far even if we win the series though.

Because we don't have enough depth, Z and Datsyuk will be burned out by the time we finish 2nd round (if we get there)
agree

i am only hoping to avoid a loss in 1st round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
I actually think Stuart is a very good d-man, but the guy is cursed.
imo, the main reason stuart both looks good defensively and gets scored on so much is that he spends too much time in the defensive zone.

i think most everyone would agree that he is not good with the puck in the defensive zone. he turns the puck over too much and is not an especially good passer. he gets stuck in his own end too much.

even a elite defensive player will get scored on often if he spends so much time in the defensive zone.

but all that time in the defensive zone also gives him extra opportunities to make good defensive plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwkBlue View Post
I dunno wtf Holland was thinking when he went after him..
he was trying to prove to all the critics that waiving quincey was not a bad decision.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's not that the Preds impress me so much, it's that the Wings aren't any better and actually look a notch worse IMO. The series isn't lost by any means yet, but I don't see a deep run in this Wings squad.
agree

neither team is impressive.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:26 PM
  #752
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
There is no question that Howie could be better, too. He's not at fault. But he's not on top of his game.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:36 PM
  #753
DeYarmond Edison
#fireholland
 
DeYarmond Edison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 3,103
vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
There is no question that Howie could be better, too. He's not at fault. But he's not on top of his game.
I think he is. The top of his game just isn't high enough to win these big games. If we can shoot 40+ and still lose. I have little to no faith in the rest of this series.

DeYarmond Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:37 PM
  #754
wings95
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Leavenworth, KS
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
There is no question that Howie could be better, too. He's not at fault. But he's not on top of his game.
I agree. Stu needs to play better just like lids and kronner too. Fil and huds gotta step it up. Bert needs to drive the net and keep banging bodies. Franzen needs to shoot more, dats finally woke up and needs to continue his play the rest of the playoffs.

wings95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
  #755
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings4013 View Post
But the only guy he skated through with the puck was Stuart.

Like I said, Stuart looked bad on that goal.

But Ericsson, who is the golden boy right now, created that losing his balance.
That left Erat and Klein in the middle against Stuart, with three wings on the side and unable to get in the play.
at 28 seconds, Stuart is watching Erat.
Erat passes. Stuart is now watching Klein.
At 30 seconds, he poke checks and misses Klein, Klein moves to the inside and beats Stuart.

So yeah, Stuart looks bad. For all intents and purposes, this was a 2-on-1.

And Stuart is the only one getting any blame for it.

Nobody talks about Ericsson being woefully out of position and unable to defend Erat or Klein. Nobody talks about the backchecking forwards who can't do anything except wave their sticks.

Everybody in the GDT immediate logs in and bashes Stuart.

And in the first period, when Stuart saved a shot on the PK that had Howard beat, two people bothered to point it out.

Because Stuart is on his way out, he's an easy scapegoat...especially for the Holland apologists trying to justify the Quincey trade and Ericsson contract, And especially for the Swedish posters who are critical of everyone who is not European (The Swedes are more nationalistic than Don Cherry. Ain't that grand?)

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
  #756
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh
 
Brick Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
I think Howard was very bad, maybe terrible.

I do not thinik so. Howard was bad. Stuart looked so awful on their 2nd goal.

The Preds play their game and are forcing the Wings to take bad shots. The Wings might be forced to play to win 1-0 or 2-1. That's the way it is. Trotz has it his way.
No question that Nashville is setting the tempo for the series, full credit to them for playing their style effectively. They're a good defensive team that makes it tough for the opposition to get their offense going. Their D has been better than our D has, and our skilled forwards need to finish on the plays that they do create. Babcock needs to respond to what's happening and make the appropriate changes. The Z/Hudler/Fil line has done nothing other than the individual brilliance of Z, so feel free to break up those guys, keep Nyquist up w/ Datsyuk, and consider rolling Smith into the lineup for either Q or a fourth liner who isn't getting many minutes.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
  #757
Frk It
#FireHolland
 
Frk It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 9,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeYarmond Edison View Post
I think he is. The top of his game just isn't high enough to win these big games. If we can shoot 40+ and still lose. I have little to no faith in the rest of this series.
The defense isn't helping him out very much.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:39 PM
  #758
DTownWingsfan
Registered User
 
DTownWingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Downingtown, PA
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,257
vCash: 500
Anyone got video of the fans with the light sticks before the game started? It looked pretty cool from the 20 second clip they have on nhl.com

DTownWingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:40 PM
  #759
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 11,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
There is no question that Howie could be better, too. He's not at fault. But he's not on top of his game.
Except when he handed Game 2 to the Wings on a silver platter. The guy stole the game and easily won that goalie battle.

The Wings' aim has to be to avoid this being a goalie battle. It should not boil down to who is the better goaltender, because Rinne wins that 9 out of 10 times.

- The Wings can't afford to let the Preds come in on the forecheck.

- They have to stay out of the box.

- For the love of god, stop them from crashing the net. How many goals have the Preds scored with them just throwing bodies at Howard? They play down low and look for the cross ice pass. It's their go-to play.

- Another problem is the Wings aren't spending enough time in the offensive zone. They enter, take a perimeter shot, Rinne gloves it and they go to the face off dot. Either penetrate the zone and crash the net or setup a play as if it was a PP. Keep the puck and outwork the opposition. Chasing the puck takes more energy than passing it around.

- The Wings are too one-dimensional. Gain the zone and setup the defenseman for a one timer. It's not working. Rinne will glove those most of the time. Switch things up. Also on the PP. The movement has improved, but not the final pass. Please give Nyquist a shot on the PP.

- And ****ing retrive the puck when you do shoot.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:44 PM
  #760
DeYarmond Edison
#fireholland
 
DeYarmond Edison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 3,103
vCash: 83
This system just doesn't cut it anymore. I almost regret spending 350+ dollars on tickets to game 4. At least it's my 21st birthday so i can get absolutely hammered.

DeYarmond Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:45 PM
  #761
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Except when he handed Game 2 to the Wings on a silver platter. The guy stole the game and easily won that goalie battle.
I missed the first period of that game, So maybe Howard was lights out in the first.
But in the second and third, Howard looked normal to me. Nothing spectacular at all, IMO.




Quote:
- Another problem is the Wings aren't spending enough time in the offensive zone. They enter, take a perimeter shot, Rinne gloves it and they go to the face off dot. Either penetrate the zone and crash the net or setup a play as if it was a PP. Keep the puck and outwork the opposition. Chasing the puck takes more energy than passing it around.
How many Wings have the ability to move the puck around the offensive zone.
Datsyuk. Zetterberg. Filppula. Maybe Hudler and Nyquist.

Quote:
- The Wings are too one-dimensional. Gain the zone and setup the defenseman for a one timer. It's not working. Rinne will glove those most of the time. Switch things up. Also on the PP. The movement has improved, but not the final pass. Please give Nyquist a shot on the PP.
Back in the day, Datsyuk and Zetterberg got goalies going side-to-side like they were puppet masters.
Coach Babcock decided to separate them and go with the point-shot powerplay.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:47 PM
  #762
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh
 
Brick Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post

Like I said, Stuart looked bad on that goal.

But Ericsson, who is the golden boy right now, created that losing his balance.
That left Erat and Klein in the middle against Stuart, with three wings on the side and unable to get in the play.
at 28 seconds, Stuart is watching Erat.
Erat passes. Stuart is now watching Klein.
At 30 seconds, he poke checks and misses Klein, Klein moves to the inside and beats Stuart.

So yeah, Stuart looks bad. For all intents and purposes, this was a 2-on-1.

And Stuart is the only one getting any blame for it.

Nobody talks about Ericsson being woefully out of position and unable to defend Erat or Klein. Nobody talks about the backchecking forwards who can't do anything except wave their sticks.

Everybody in the GDT immediate logs in and bashes Stuart.

And in the first period, when Stuart saved a shot on the PK that had Howard beat, two people bothered to point it out.

Because Stuart is on his way out, he's an easy scapegoat...especially for the Holland apologists trying to justify the Quincey trade and Ericsson contract, And especially for the Swedish posters who are critical of everyone who is not European (The Swedes are more nationalistic than Don Cherry. Ain't that grand?)
CB, you don't like how E is playing? He may have been out of position on that play, but you have to admit that he's been one of, if not the, best D-man for the Wings in our zone this series, right? Well, I think that anyway.

Regarding Stuart, I appreciate his style of play and how solid he was for years for us, but he didn't have a good season, and he's been bad in this series too. Doesn't matter to me that he may be leaving this offseason- I would hold that opinion if we had him signed for another 3 years.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:22 PM
  #763
winger7020
Registered User
 
winger7020's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
CB, you don't like how E is playing? He may have been out of position on that play, but you have to admit that he's been one of, if not the, best D-man for the Wings in our zone this series, right? Well, I think that anyway.

Regarding Stuart, I appreciate his style of play and how solid he was for years for us, but he didn't have a good season, and he's been bad in this series too. Doesn't matter to me that he may be leaving this offseason- I would hold that opinion if we had him signed for another 3 years.
I agree, I also think Lidstrom has hands down been our worst defense man these 3 games, unless he is pinching in the offensive zone. They guy is skating slow and always out of position. Maybe his age is finally catching up to him, or his ankle is still bothering him but man.

winger7020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:32 PM
  #764
icKx
What now?
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post

Like I said, Stuart looked bad on that goal.

But Ericsson, who is the golden boy right now, created that losing his balance.
That left Erat and Klein in the middle against Stuart, with three wings on the side and unable to get in the play.
at 28 seconds, Stuart is watching Erat.
Erat passes. Stuart is now watching Klein.
At 30 seconds, he poke checks and misses Klein, Klein moves to the inside and beats Stuart.

So yeah, Stuart looks bad. For all intents and purposes, this was a 2-on-1.

And Stuart is the only one getting any blame for it.

Nobody talks about Ericsson being woefully out of position and unable to defend Erat or Klein. Nobody talks about the backchecking forwards who can't do anything except wave their sticks.

Everybody in the GDT immediate logs in and bashes Stuart.

And in the first period, when Stuart saved a shot on the PK that had Howard beat, two people bothered to point it out.

Because Stuart is on his way out, he's an easy scapegoat...especially for the Holland apologists trying to justify the Quincey trade and Ericsson contract, And especially for the Swedish posters who are critical of everyone who is not European (The Swedes are more nationalistic than Don Cherry. Ain't that grand?)
I think at least a portion of the Stuart criticism just people trying to troll you tbh.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:06 PM
  #765
JVR or Bust
Crease Crasher
 
JVR or Bust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTownWingsfan View Post
Anyone got video of the fans with the light sticks before the game started? It looked pretty cool from the 20 second clip they have on nhl.com
Give me a few minutes and I'll post the link to my YouTube video.

Just got back from the game. It was my first time at the Joe. I drove from Toronto and I had an absolute blast. It sucks the Wings lost, obviously, but the atmosphere was terrific and the crowd was really into the game. Picked up a Datsyuk jersey before the game and he had a sweet goal. Happy with that.

JVR or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:08 PM
  #766
Evil
Rookie User
 
Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
Meh, I still have faith in us coming back. We're not getting the bounces, and our tempo is ruined by the penalties, but that third period was ours to lose. It's only 2-1.
Exactly..ill still give them the benefit of the doubt. They just need some desperation,and I hope the are fealing it about now

Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:10 PM
  #767
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7020 View Post
I also think Lidstrom has hands down been our worst defense man these 3 games, unless he is pinching in the offensive zone.
Not at all. Most of the goals on us have been scored with Kronwall-Stuart on ice. And don't even get me started on Quincy! Lids-Ericsson pair has been the best.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:12 PM
  #768
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,813
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7020 View Post
I agree, I also think Lidstrom has hands down been our worst defense man these 3 games.
You must be joking...

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:19 PM
  #769
redjax
Boom Roasted.
 
redjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Just got back from the game...ugh. Practically double them up on shots and a couple terrible defensive breakdowns (Stuart! Filppula!) is the difference in the game. If that goal crossed the line half a second earlier at the end of the 2nd we win the game, guaranteed.

Alas...let's make it 2-2 heading back to Nashville. But only if the Wings show up for the first period this time. We also need to finish all the damn chances...so many whiffed shots off great setups.

redjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:22 PM
  #770
winger7020
Registered User
 
winger7020's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Not at all. Most of the goals on us have been scored with Kronwall-Stuart on ice. And don't even get me started on Quincy! Lids-Ericsson pair has been the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
You must be joking...
He's been a ghost in his own end. Quincey has been really shifty, he has some awesome shifts and then he will turn around on the next shift and make you want to pull your hair out. There has been like two times where i actually noticed Lidstrom out on the ice. So i guess Quincey has been our worst, Lidstrom has just been a ghost.

winger7020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:44 PM
  #771
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,170
vCash: 500
Wings have taken 20 penalties in three games. Isnt that absolutely hilarious? I thought refs were supposed to let the players play in the playoffs.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:04 PM
  #772
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7020 View Post
He's been a ghost in his own end. Quincey has been really shifty, he has some awesome shifts and then he will turn around on the next shift and make you want to pull your hair out. There has been like two times where i actually noticed Lidstrom out on the ice. So i guess Quincey has been our worst, Lidstrom has just been a ghost.
Quincey was pretty good in this game. Made some good plays with the puck and didn't make any glaring defensive mistakes. That's his game if everything is going well. His penalty was also a ridiculously bad call.

Stuart and Kronwall were really the only Wing defensemen that had bad games IMO.

I think Babcock has caught on to the fact that Stuart's not at peak form - he only played 17:22 in this one, 5th among Wing Dmen ahead of only Q.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:05 PM
  #773
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,931
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Stuart might be thinking about getting back to his family and working on his tan.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:09 PM
  #774
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
I think at least a portion of the Stuart criticism just people trying to troll you tbh.
Yep.
I'm getting trolled on a minute-by-minute basis.
And if I react in kind, I get teed up for 5 points by the mod team.

My days here are numbered, and I don't much care.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:09 PM
  #775
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,226
vCash: 500
Wings have played 3 good games and only have 1 win to show for it.

That's rough. What happens if the Preds offense actually comes alive and gets sustained pressure without a powerplay? I don't know.

It's very disappointing, because there's such a huge set of circumstances where the Wings hold the series lead right now. That said, I still think the Wings look like the better team so there's no reason they can't tie the series up and take it to them.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.