HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Shaw's hit on Mike Smith(suspended 3 games)

Old
04-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

vCash: 500
Andrew Shaw's hit on Mike Smith(suspended 3 games)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=627882

Quote:
Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw will have a hearing Monday for an incident with Phoenix goaltender Mike Smith in Chicago's 4-3 overtime win Saturday.

Shaw was assessed a five-minute major for charging and a game misconduct at 7:11 of the second period after making conduct with Smith behind the Phoenix net. Smith was down for several minutes but was able to finishHopefully he gets the game
Hopefully he gets a couple of games.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 04-17-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:46 PM
MP

A suspension likely won't alter the complexion of the series in any substantial way, but I hope they throw the book at him. That was a blindside hit to the head, any way you slice it. Three games would be great, owing to the fun factor of watching Blackhawks fans piss and moan about it. Two games wouldn't strike me as excessive. One may be more realistic. Anything less than one would be (another) mistake.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:54 PM
SweYote

* He got a game misconduct
* Smith did not get injured
* Not a repeat offender (I think?)
* It's the playoffs

Based on those factors I don't think it will be more than one game, but the hit itself is dangerous enough for Shanaban to suspend him for that game.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Gotta love all of those who are saying Smith faked this.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
A suspension likely won't alter the complexion of the series in any substantial way, but I hope they throw the book at him. That was a blindside hit to the head, any way you slice it. Three games would be great, owing to the fun factor of watching Blackhawks fans piss and moan about it. Two games wouldn't strike me as excessive. One may be more realistic. Anything less than one would be (another) mistake.
Agreed that it won't change the complexion of the series and such but hopefully him getting suspended sends a message to the Hawks to better watch it around Smith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
* It's the playoffs

Based on those factors I don't think it will be more than one game, but the hit itself is dangerous enough for Shanaban to suspend him for that game.
I don't think Shanahan is going to use the playoffs as a factor since the league wants to crackdown on head shots given all the hype we got about the concussion issue.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:16 PM
PhoPhan

It's impossible to guess whether Shaw gets suspended, though the decision on the Weber thing makes me think he won't see any further reprimand. Regardless of whether Shaw left the ice or intentionally elbowed or shouldered Smith in the head, the onus is on Shaw to get out of the way, and he skated into Smith at full speed anyway. He deserved to be thrown out.

Frankly, I hope he doesn't get suspended. What Raffi Torres could do to him is way worse than what Shanahan could.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:19 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I'm guessing no suspension based on the fact he missed a major portion of the game after being ejected. Then again I've had a bad track record for predicting how the wheel of justice will spin.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 50
He has some skill, but he is a dirty player. A cheap, dirty player. This was pure stupidity, and should be closer to 5 games - a goalie is not fair game to hit, Shaw made no attempt to stop, and hit him squarely in the head. Look at the Bitz hit- 2 games for a shoulder to shoulder hit in which the player hit his head on the glass... but Clifford isn't a goalie - it was just bad timing on Bitz's part. Shaw wasn't even allowed to make contact in the first place - big, stupid no-no resulting in a direct headshot. There is no excuse for Shaw - no arguement to be made. It was a clear, and very dangerous violation. Throw the book at him.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:26 PM
awfulwaffle

Shaw will have a target on his back, and Torres is one man I would not want to have a reason to just bust out.

The league is trying to get away from hitting the head, so I can see him still getting a game, but who knows. I really don't care if he does or not, I'm more concerned with our team on the ice right now. 2 games in a row allowing them to tie it up. We should be 2-0, and not needing OT to get the 1st.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The Coyotes bench was chirping Shaw on the opening face off of game one and had targeted hin even previous to this incident. Shaw is earning himself quite a reputation among players around the NHL as a coward.

04-15-2012, 01:50 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

OP in the main boards is "Should Mike Smith be suspended"

Blackhawk fans are as homer as they come.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:51 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

He will get one game - at most. Either way, it is a moot point. Chicago will just replace him with someone of equivalent talent and/or trouble making ability. He will have zero effect on the series.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:57 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Think he gets 1 game max. Look at what Shea Weber did the other night....and he didn't get a suspension (although he deserved one). The fact that it's the goalie gets Shaw the one game.....otherwise none.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:03 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZviaNJ View Post
Think he gets 1 game max. Look at what Shea Weber did the other night....and he didn't get a suspension (although he deserved one). The fact that it's the goalie gets Shaw the one game.....otherwise none.
NHL logic: Weber is a star player, Shaw is not. No suspension for Weber, maybe one for Shaw.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Sciamachy
Formerly Sceva Sct

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
* It's the playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
He will get one game - at most. Either way, it is a moot point. Chicago will just replace him with someone of equivalent talent and/or trouble making ability. He will have zero effect on the series.
These are pretty much where I'm at with all this. Ultimately though I really could not care less what happens to him, one way or another it'll get sorted out on the ice.

Sciamachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:17 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
It's impossible to guess whether Shaw gets suspended

As opposed to all the other topics everyone makes "educated" guesses about, on the hfboards?

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:27 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

If Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook or Keith had hit Smith, then it would be worth worrying about because their suspension would make a difference. Shaw could get 50 games and this series will play out the exact same way. The Coyotes are better off if Shaw gets nothing and the refs make it right during a game.

Defining "Make it right"

If I had a choice between :

1) Shaw being suspend
2) The refs giving him a penalty during the game because he does something stupid and they are keeping an eye on him

I would take the latter every time.

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 04-15-2012 at 02:40 PM.
OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:29 PM

I mentioned this to my wife last night, it was no doubt a brutal hit on Smith but it's hard to tell how much it really got to Smith.

If you were Smith in that situation you would not want to jump up on your feet. You would want to lay there and draw some sympathy from the refs to make sure your team can benefit for one. Two, you would want to make sure that you are clear and focused and that the hit didn't really rattle you. The last thing you want to do if you are Smith is rush back to the game and end up giving up a couple of soft goals because your head isn't on straight. I think these types of situations can lead to a bit of a theatrical reaction for those reasons, and I think all players would be subject to this so it's by all means not a slam on anyone.

Shaw should get a game, I think most can agree on that. Much like the Weber hit, most non-partial watchers might be surprised if a suspension isn't handed out. I don't think he was intentionally trying to injure Smith, he has no prior history, etc.

I was consumed with Smith being down but as an afterthought I was surprised to see that an all out brawl didn't erupt. The refs might have wrangled the teams apart to avoid this, like I said I didn't see because I was fixated on Smith. I know the team loves Smith so I'm not as concerned as say Buffalo was when Miller went down and the team didn't fight for his honor.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
The Coyotes bench was chirping Shaw on the opening face off of game one and had targeted hin even previous to this incident. Shaw is earning himself quite a reputation among players around the NHL as a coward.

Swat Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Spin the wheel yourself!

I think he maybe gets a slap on the wrist, because he missed most of game 2 and Smith still played.

Blackhawks fans don't have to like the rule, but goalies are not free game when they leave the net. The fact that he hit his head with his shoulder makes it that much worse.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

After seeing this, I wouldn't be surprised if the league starts coming down hard all on those getting a hearing now and into the future playoffs or not.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:38 PM
kihekah19

[QUOTE=Blubba Jenkins;48074447]

[URL="http://www.nhlwheelofjustice.com/"
Blackhawks fans don't have to like the rule, but goalies are not free game when they leave the net. The fact that he hit his head with his shoulder makes it that much worse.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure they understand the rule.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:39 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
After seeing this, I wouldn't be surprised if the league starts coming down hard all on those getting a hearing now and into the future playoffs or not.

Asham's always been an idiot.

Old
04-15-2012, 04:58 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Cross check to the upper chest followed by a right hook that grazed the side of his helmet. Schenn stayed down until after the TV intermission. He threw a borderline hit and instead of taking the abuse and going on the PP he went down and faked an injury. Not a fan if he's going to play that style and do things like that.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:07 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Cross check to the upper chest followed by a right hook that grazed the side of his helmet. Schenn stayed down until after the TV intermission. He threw a borderline hit and instead of taking the abuse and going on the PP he went down and faked an injury. Not a fan if he's going to play that style and do things like that.
Schenn went to the locker room. Not sure if your vision is correct, as he took a cross check to the adams apple. His hit was also clean. I wish we had someone like him.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote