HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Shaw's hit on Mike Smith(suspended 3 games)

Old
04-15-2012, 04:40 PM
yotesreign

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
After seeing this, I wouldn't be surprised if the league starts coming down hard all on those getting a hearing now and into the future playoffs or not.

Watching this game now, saw this hit. Shanahan ought to be busy tomorrow. Just give these guys 5 game suspensions to piss off their fans. Shaw could get 200 game suspension and it wouldn't mean a thing to this series, but the more games he gets the more of a message gets sent to not put a hit on the goalies.

BTW, this Pens/Flyers game has some great goaltending... NOT.

Last edited by yotesreign: 04-15-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: fixed typo
yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:45 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
I don't know why you guys keep saying Shaw wouldn't be missed to the Hawks if he missed some games. Not saying he is a core guy or anything, but he scored at about a 25 goal pace in the NHL this year, and provided 2+ hits a game to a team that needed it badly, along with his grit and hustle.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I don't know why you guys keep saying Shaw wouldn't be missed to the Hawks if he missed some games. Not saying he is a core guy or anything, but he scored at about a 25 goal pace in the NHL this year, and provided 2+ hits a game to a team that needed it badly, along with his grit and hustle.
Only a couple of people said that, I thought he was one of your better players in Game 1.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:54 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Only a couple of people said that, I thought he was one of your better players in Game 1.
Wasn't suggesting that everyone was claiming that, if it came across that way. Just seems I'm seeing it a lot between here and the main boards

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:21 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
While I haven't been one that has said that, I will say that he is less valuable to the Blackhawks than Smith is to the Coyotes.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Sciamachy
Shadow Coyote

Quote:
I've said something to that effect, and I'll admit its a bit of an over-simplification on my part. Its not that he hasn't played well for you guys, or brought an element that you guys need. Part of my sentiment is in light of the players we've been missing in the first two games (Vrbata in the 1st, Hanzal in the 2nd). Part of it comes from me not seeing any of the Hawks players as our biggest threat right now. Its our own players, doing the same stupid mistakes that we've seen countless times this year that has cost us these games. Those last second regulation goals and dmen giving the puck to the other team in front of our own net are nothing new around here. Not that Shaw won't be missed for you guys, but he's not at the top of the list of things that will make or break this series in my view.

Sciamachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:33 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Schenn went to the locker room. Not sure if your vision is correct, as he took a cross check to the adams apple. His hit was also clean. I wish we had someone like him.
I have no problem with the hit. I felt like it was borderline but not penalty worthy. Take another look at the video and start with the slow-mo at 25 seconds. Schenn's neck wasn't even exposed by the time the stick rode up. If you even want to say it did that. The punch shouldn't even be mentioned other than to say it was gutless but harmless. I didn't see Schenn holding his neck gasping for air. All he did was go to the locker room take a couple sips of gatorade and was back out there for the next shift. The theatrics that are on display in the playoffs are embarrassing.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 06:39 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
If the Hawks lose the series, I doubt the fans or coaches will put the blame on Shaw getting the game misconduct or a 1 to 5 game suspension for losing the series, but if they do lose and many say his loss was the difference that kept the Hawks from winning the series I'll reconsider my opinion then.

They were able to win game 2 in OT without him; I don't think Shaw getting a suspension will help the Yotes much which is why I think it's not a crucial suspension; just may help the league send a message about hits on goalies...

If you're saying the Hawks don't want to lose any players to a suspension I'm sure you're right and I would not suggest many teams would laugh off seeing any of their players suspended...

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:13 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Lucic did not get suspended for his hit on ryan miller so he will not be suspended.... on a personal note i dont beleive he meant to hit him

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:34 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
Hagelin gets 3 games for his hit on Alfredsson. Doan got the same amount in his last game in Dallas and that player still played on in that game. We will see if 3 games in the minimum considering these head shots are getting out as hand now as witnessed in the Pens vs Flyers game today.

gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Teravainen
LoveYouRyanNash

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Smith completely sold that. "I can't move my neck" Announcer: Chicago forward Andrew Shaw 5 minute major. Smith: Nevermind I'm all good.. Come on Yotes fans, you know Shaw deserves nothing.

Teravainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I love how black and white everything is. It's either he has a concussion or he is fine. Nothing ever just hurts really ****ing badly.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Naurutger

vCash: 1454
Quote:
I love how black and white everything is. It's either he has a concussion or he is fine. Nothing ever just hurts really ****ing badly.
Looking at the video he should not have finished the game but this is the same guy that would play 3 games in four days knowing he was spent. The combination of the crowd chanting and him knowing what he means to the team kept him in.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:38 PM
CitizenCoyote

Smith was in a bad way. I was watching him throughout the time outs and the power play. The first faceoff, he went for a little skate along the goal line extended and was wobbly. At one point, he looked like his balance was off in the crease. He was plainly shaking out cob webs. I thought he was going to get the quiet room between periods, but he got through it. If the Hawks had a decent shorthanded chance, they might have had an advantage. The notion that he was fine as soon as the penalty was called is absurd. How the guy acts when the camera is off tells a pretty compelling story. He was not in a good way.

It was an illegal hit that could have seriously screwed him up. What more is there to say?

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:41 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Like I said, if Shaw plays Game 3, every time he gets within a foot of Smith the Coyotes will get a power play. You will see Shaw screaming "I never touched him!!" as the ref points to the box. If the NHL suspends Shaw, he will be quickly replaced and the advantage to the Coyotes will be nil.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:53 PM
TheLegend
Home Sweet Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTazMeBro View Post
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Smith completely sold that. "I can't move my neck" Announcer: Chicago forward Andrew Shaw 5 minute major. Smith: Nevermind I'm all good.. Come on Yotes fans, you know Shaw deserves nothing.
[troll busting mode set to......... "maximum"]

I propose a simulation to get to the bottom of all this.

You lean over exposing your head while Shane Doan skates by at full speed allowing his shoulder to make full contact with your forehead.

We'll take shots from several angles using high speed cameras to record the data and post it here (and on the Chicago fan boards if that suits you) for an impartial analysis.

Fair enough????

[switching troll busting mode back to..... "stand by"]

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Naurutger

vCash: 1454
The main problem is the haters slow down the footage, keep it at full speed to see him up his shoulder into smiths cheek. I have seen some slow mo pictures were it did not seem too bad but at full speed it shows the proof.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I would probably be fine if Shaw didn't get suspended. He missed most of Game 2 and we got a 5 minute PP. I don't think Shaw had malicious intentions, but he didn't really move out of the way.

I'm more upset at people saying that Smith dived. Concussion or no, getting hit in the head hurts and you can still feel a little woozy even if you don't get a concussion. Smith is just a warrior. He wants to be the guy. He wants to win. He doesn't want to let his teammates down.

Old
04-15-2012, 11:03 PM
TheLegend
Home Sweet Home!

Quote:
I would probably be fine if Shaw didn't get suspended. He missed most of Game 2 and we got a 5 minute PP. I don't think Shaw had malicious intentions, but he didn't really move out of the way.

I'm more upset at people saying that Smith dived. Concussion or no, getting hit in the head hurts and you can still feel a little woozy even if you don't get a concussion. Smith is just a warrior. He wants to be the guy. He wants to win. He doesn't want to let his teammates down.
It gets down to the fact that some people have no concept for the basic laws of physics.

When you see Smitty's head snap back after the shoulder makes contact it certainly can appear to the average person he did it purposely to embellish the contact, when it really was the energy imparted on Smith by Shaw's shoulder and body making contact that created the effect.

But I digress........

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:42 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
It gets down to the fact that some people have no concept for the basic laws of physics.

When you see Smitty's head snap back after the shoulder makes contact it certainly can appear to the average person he did it purposely to embellish the contact, when it really was the energy imparted on Smith by Shaw's shoulder and body making contact that created the effect.

But I digress........
The gif that keeps getting posted on the main boards is doctored to make it look embellished. It is slowed down as the hit takes place and then sped up when Smith's head snaps back to make the contact look minimal and to make the head snap look embellished.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:09 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenCoyote View Post
Smith was in a bad way. I was watching him throughout the time outs and the power play. The first faceoff, he went for a little skate along the goal line extended and was wobbly. At one point, he looked like his balance was off in the crease. He was plainly shaking out cob webs. I thought he was going to get the quiet room between periods, but he got through it. If the Hawks had a decent shorthanded chance, they might have had an advantage. The notion that he was fine as soon as the penalty was called is absurd. How the guy acts when the camera is off tells a pretty compelling story. He was not in a good way.

It was an illegal hit that could have seriously screwed him up. What more is there to say?
I was at the game in the lower south end focusing on Smith closely after he stayed in the game following the hit. If he was acting then chalk him up for an Oscar for his behavior in the rest of the 2nd period. He was not mobile, stayed in his net slumped over when the puck was down the ice. Got down on his knees whenever there was a break in play. And perhaps most telling: he stopped a few long dump in pucks behind the net without trying to play the puck at all, just left it for his defensemen. That is the total antithesis of his normal puck handling style.

Smith was hurting in the 2nd after Shaw's hit. He played much more like the usual Mike Smith in the 3rd.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:15 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
It Finally Happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
He was not mobile, stayed in his net slumped over when the puck was down the ice. Got down on his knees whenever there was a break in play. And perhaps most telling: he stopped a few long dump in pucks behind the net without trying to play the puck at all, just left it for his defensemen. That is the total antithesis of his normal puck handling style.
I noticed this too. If he hadn't had a relatively easy 2nd period I imagine he would have given up a few soft ones.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:22 AM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Quote:
I was at the game in the lower south end focusing on Smith closely after he stayed in the game following the hit. If he was acting then chalk him up for an Oscar for his behavior in the rest of the 2nd period. He was not mobile, stayed in his net slumped over when the puck was down the ice. Got down on his knees whenever there was a break in play. And perhaps most telling: he stopped a few long dump in pucks behind the net without trying to play the puck at all, just left it for his defensemen. That is the total antithesis of his normal puck handling style.

Smith was hurting in the 2nd after Shaw's hit. He played much more like the usual Mike Smith in the 3rd.
Don't tell the Hawk fans about that!

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:31 AM
indczn

Quote:

I saw the exact same thing. I was sitting on the goal line, 15 rows up. Smith looked dazed and fortunately didn't face much after the hit to finish the 2nd.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I have no problem with the hit. I felt like it was borderline but not penalty worthy. Take another look at the video and start with the slow-mo at 25 seconds. Schenn's neck wasn't even exposed by the time the stick rode up. If you even want to say it did that. The punch shouldn't even be mentioned other than to say it was gutless but harmless. I didn't see Schenn holding his neck gasping for air. All he did was go to the locker room take a couple sips of gatorade and was back out there for the next shift. The theatrics that are on display in the playoffs are embarrassing.
I watched it several times frame by frame and the stick never comes in contact with the adam's apple. I think it caught Schenn by surprise and he instinctively overreacted to it. That said, it was a complete bonehead move by Asham and I don't care about his penalty. I don't think he should be suspended though.

Speaking of all this banning crap, what the NHL REALLY needs to consider is to have someone like Shanny who reviews video and suspends people for diving. I do not want the NHL to turn into ****ing soccer.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote