HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Andrew Shaw's hit on Mike Smith(suspended 3 games)

Old
04-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

vCash: 500
Things like this always brings the best out of reactionaries. Shannahan clearly states that Smith playing the rest of the game helped Shaw. Of course, people start complaining about embellishment. It's irrelevant at this point, people, keep up! This has everything to do with the GMs wanting their goalies protected. Embellishment or not, Shaw clearly shoulders Smith in the chin and doesn't make a great deal of effort to avoid contact. That is the problem.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Things like this always brings the best out of reactionaries. Shannahan clearly states that Smith playing the rest of the game helped Shaw. Of course, people start complaining about embellishment. It's irrelevant at this point, people, keep up! This has everything to do with the GMs wanting their goalies protected. Embellishment or not, Shaw clearly shoulders Smith in the chin and doesn't make a great deal of effort to avoid contact. That is the problem.
Try telling that to those who think the Shaw suspension has to do more with the Coyotes being owned by the NHL.

Of course, if this were Crawford getting hit by by someone of simular history by the Coyotes the responses would be different given the market we are in and the ownership issue.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
kihekah19

Just got back from the Blackhawk boards and man are they pissed. Originally being from Chicago (thus obnoxious), it's hard for me to not rub their noses in it.... I tried to tell 'em about the rules on Sunday, but it just didn't seem to sink in.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:52 PM
kihekah19

Chicago's intent from game one when Bolland ( I think it was ) dove into Smith after a love tap crosscheck, has been to physically rattle Smith.

Let's just hope it didn't work.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Chicago's intent from game one when Bolland ( I think it was ) dove into Smith after a love tap crosscheck, has been to physically rattle Smith.

Let's just hope it didn't work.
They said before game one that they wanted to stop him from playing the puck. I believe it was in an ESPN article; my first reaction that night was thinking back to that.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:03 PM
SweYote

Three would have been fair during the regular season or if Smith was injured but now I feel like it's over the top.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:07 PM
thebigbea

too much consider weber got nothing.. and lucic got nothing on miller..

thebigbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:08 PM
DCSemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
Three would have been fair during the regular season or if Smith was injured but now I feel like it's over the top.
It is, considering he got a game misconduct.So basically, it's a 4 games suspension.

DCSemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:10 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

good, at least we have the next three games without that little piss ant trying to take the head off of one of our players. Might make CHI a little timed on the physical play. Advantage: Coyotes

edit: I still dont get the Webber situation

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbea View Post
too much consider weber got nothing.. and lucic got nothing on miller..
Weber incident was handled poorly, but two wrongs don't make a right. You have to judge each infraction on its own.

This was a response to the GMs asking the NHL for more goalie protection. This is a result of Lucic/Miller.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:13 PM
DCSemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
good, at least we have the next three games without that little piss ant trying to take the head off of one of our players. Might make CHI a little timed on the physical play. Advantage: Coyotes
Seriously?

DCSemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSemi View Post
Seriously?
yes and his non stop diving would be nice to not see for a few games.

Swat Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:16 PM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Just got back from the Blackhawk boards and man are they pissed. Originally being from Chicago (thus obnoxious), it's hard for me to not rub their noses in it.... I tried to tell 'em about the rules on Sunday, but it just didn't seem to sink in.

Seems like a fair ruling, IMO.

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Quote:
Seriously?
You see something different?

Quote:
"The contact Shaw made with Smith is not incidental," NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan said in his explanation video.

"Rather, it is a forceful blow delivered by Shaw's shoulder to Smith's chin. Also, in our opinion, Shaw does not make a reasonable effort to avoid such contact."
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...#ixzz1sKbWwFjq

Old
04-17-2012, 03:25 PM
icekoob

To be honest guys, I think everyone, including a lot of fans from other teams are just fed up with the inconsistent ruling. For a lot of the clear thinkers around here it's less about the actual incident than it is the "department of player safety" making the league less safe and more of a joke.

Looking forward to a great game tonight.

icekoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Quote:
Seriously?
We all knew the results, including the players.

Quote:
A discussion among the league's 30 general managers Tuesday produced a strong consensus that goalies need to be better protected – even when they stray from their own goal to play the puck. That's exactly what Buffalo's Ryan Miller was doing on Saturday night when he was hit by Lucic and was left with a concussion.

After learning Tuesday that roughly two-thirds of GMs would have preferred to see a suspension in the case, Shanahan acknowledged that his mandate had been altered.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1096798.html

Old
04-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post

edit: I still dont get the Webber situation
In this YouTube clip, Weber grabbed Zetterberg by the head and slammed it on the glass.

People were complaining Weber is more worthy of a 3 game suspension than Shaw but instead Weber only got a $2500 fine.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:52 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

That piss ant never even tried to play the puck. I'm sorry to myopic Chicago fans but this is pretty black and white. We have to put a stop to the development of future Matt Cooke's here.

I'm glad he is gone, seriously he took down Verbada in Gm 1 and Hanzal in Gm 2. Maybe we can come out unscathed in gm 3

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

We all agree Weber should have gotten more, I thought he would at least. 2 wrongs dont make a right...although -2*-2=a positive 4....

Old
04-17-2012, 04:04 PM
mitch27

Am I overreacting? This really worries me. Shanny bases his suspensions on injury most of the time. What if he contacted the Coyotes and they told him Smith would be out for tonight so Shanny decided Shaw would get 3 games. Excuse my "sky is falling attitude", but with this franchise I've learned to expect the worst.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:13 PM
MP

Bahaha. Two games more than I expected, but I forgot that the league has been talking about doing more to protect goalies specifically.

The Lucic non-suspension might have led one to argue that Shaw shouldn't be suspended either, but I'm glad the league decided against adhering to bad precedent.

It would be fun to rub this in a bit, but between Smith and Hanzal playing and Shaw sitting, I have a distinct feeling that the hockey gods have smiled upon us today. Let's not get greedy. I'm just glad the Coyotes had one of these decisions go their way.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:16 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Am I overreacting? This really worries me. Shanny bases his suspensions on injury most of the time. What if he contacted the Coyotes and they told him Smith would be out for tonight so Shanny decided Shaw would get 3 games. Excuse my "sky is falling attitude", but with this franchise I've learned to expect the worst.
Word is that Smith is definitely in.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
awfulwaffle

Let's win the next 3 games and be done with it!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
Bahaha. Two games more than I expected, but I forgot that the league has been talking about doing more to protect goalies specifically.

The Lucic non-suspension might have led one to argue that Shaw shouldn't be suspended either, but I'm glad the league decided against adhering to bad precedent.

It would be fun to rub this in a bit, but between Smith and Hanzal playing and Shaw sitting, I have a distinct feeling that the hockey gods have smiled upon us today. Let's not get greedy. I'm just glad the Coyotes had one of these decisions go their way.
Is there confirmation that both are playing?

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:20 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Is there confirmation that both are playing?
I don't think there is any confirmation. SB nation(I posted it in the GDT), reported from TSN that Smith was playing tonight. I didn't see anything on Hanzal. I hope so though!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote