HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECQF: #2 Boston Bruins v. #7 Washington Capitals Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 04:22 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
Wait a minute. I just looked at the stats for the series. Schultz played in 3 games?! Are you kidding me?

Old
04-23-2012, 04:26 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Wait a minute. I just looked at the stats for the series. Schultz played in 3 games?! Are you kidding me?
I believe he accumulated 2 hits in that stretch, and 5 goals against.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:28 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Old
04-23-2012, 04:31 PM
artilector

Quote:
Those two hits came about because he didn't have the mobility to change direction in time -- "Whaa-aa.. boom!" His ankles ain't what they used to be!

Old
04-23-2012, 04:38 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Those two hits came about because he didn't have the mobility to change direction in time -- "Whaa-aa.. boom!" His ankles ain't what they used to be!
Thanks Dubinsky!

Old
04-23-2012, 04:39 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Sarge had 2 hits??

Yeah on his twitter account from alzner and Laich letting him know he was sat.

He has zero, if that even counts as a number of hits.

A new low, so ashamed.

At least we didn't fake an injury excuse this year. Baby steps.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:41 PM
coyote

ice time

I find it quite interesting that a player has 20 goals, 2 shorties, and 5 game winners in the regular season and can only get less then 10 minutes of ice time in the 6 playoff game. No pp or pk time either.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:12 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
I find it quite interesting that a player has 20 goals, 2 shorties, and 5 game winners in the regular season and can only get less then 10 minutes of ice time in the 6 playoff game. No pp or pk time either.
you are talking about chimera? he played 12:37. but yea. he and green scored the first two goals yesterday and were rewarded with bench. i dont get it.

meanwhile checking the stats from the regular season, the caps were one shorthanded goal for away from last in the league in that catagory. they were two goals away from last in the league in empty net goals for.

i'd suggest that dale is not concerned about scoring goals. they play 100% defense and hope for a mistake or a power play or the other team shooting the puck into their own net.

so far they have gotten enough goals, but all the evidence is that they dont really put a priority on scoring.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:18 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Maybe its not their jobs to score. Maybe their job is to prevent goals, and support Holtby.

Dale is not going to scrap his plans because Chimera was smart enough to put his stick on the ice and skate to the net.

Green gets a goal, sorry but he is not going to panic and change his plan. Maybe a series of good defensive plays would get him more ice time?

Its obviously going to take some time for people to warm up to the idea that a player doesn't get a bone for doing his job playing in a team game.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-23-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old
04-23-2012, 05:22 PM
MoJoSauce

I know some people had/have been talking about perrault getting into the lineup over aucoin. Does anyone think the reason he hasn't played is that the slash he took to the hand in game 4 broke a bone in his hand or finger?

I understand this is speculation but it would not surprise me seeing how bad he was grimacing after it.

Sorry if this has already been brought up/discussed

Old
04-23-2012, 05:32 PM
artilector

I think the talk of Chimera and MP not getting ice time kind of pales in comparison with Wideman's stats:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...for-washington

It's too late now, but you have to think Orlov would not have done worse.. while actually doing more positive things as far as hitting people, offense, etc.

But.. every coach has favorites. BB would've probably played Green & Schultz for 25-30 a game, lol. And Hunter's faith in certain other players has paid off, e.g. Carlson and Beagle..

So.. dunno, I'd love for the Caps to have an absolutely objective coach, but doubt one exists!

Old
04-23-2012, 05:38 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Maybe its not their jobs to score. Maybe their job is to prevent goals, and support Holtby.

Dale is not going to scrap his plans because Chimera was smart enough to put his stick on the ice and skate to the net.

Green gets a goal, sorry but he is not going to panic and change his plan. Maybe a series of good defensive plays would get him more ice time?

Its obviously going to take some time for people to warm up to the idea that a player doesn't get a bone for doing his job playing in a team game.
i thought, rh, that dale was about rewarding performance with opportunity. why would dale, be cutting chim's ice time? green has been outstanding. he doesnt get scored on and his pk has been brilliant, yet you seem to want to make a case that green hasnt been that good in order to support that he was benched.

i make the case that he was benched in fact because of his play on the goal he scored.

i gotta give credit where its due. only huntsie sees what wideman brings to earn #1 minutes, nearly a full 2 minute pp with green on the bench and a spot on the first pk with carlson and green on the bench. if he can see what noone else can, he's a visionary. maybe keith aucoin scores 3 tomorrow, too.

edit: who's job is it to score goals? or as i suggested is it 100% defense and noone's job is to score?

Old
04-23-2012, 05:49 PM
tycoonheart

Heard Jay Beastle interview on 980 in the drive home. Sounded very upbeat, said no one was feeling down, everyone thought they played well and that they're ready to go Wednesday night. Nothing earth shattered but I like the way he sounded... very confident.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:56 PM
txpd

dale hunter has knighted beagle as an nhl player worth of more minutes than nhl allstars in his locker room. sure he is upbeat. if the caps win in TD his ticket is bought for an extension

if the caps could make the ecf, beagle might be captain before 2014

Old
04-23-2012, 06:02 PM
tycoonheart

Say what you will about him but he is one of the few on this roster that gives his 100% no matter what end of the ice he is in. I wish I could say the same about majority of our roster. Can't win with your super stars half assing it. If the stars on this team provided Beagle's level of effort we'd have already won a cup.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
if the caps could make the ecf, beagle might be captain before 2014

Old
04-23-2012, 06:07 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Say what you will about him but he is one of the few on this roster that gives his 100% no matter what end of the ice he is in. I wish I could say the same about majority of our roster. Can't win with your super stars half assing it. If the stars on this team provided Beagle's level of effort we'd have already won a cup.
I guessed you missed just about all of Ovie's playoff career, and most of Backtrom's?

Old
04-23-2012, 06:18 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

You can sum up this sport in two words: You never know.
-Lou Duva

Old
04-23-2012, 06:22 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
If that was him loafing on the Seids goal we would still be hearing about Dale blowing it giving him too much TOI. Fact is Beagle has done great with the extra TOI. He looked like our best center on the ice what just 6 weeks ago yet people are still scratching their heads wondering about his astronomical TOI. Ignoring the eye test, and looking at salary. Yet he has scored in this series not loafed defensively, been aggressive but hasnt taken dumb penalties, I think has done some good shutdown work on the B's top lines (with no recognition at all) and is winning a ton of faceoffs. If everyone exceeded expectations like he is, the cup will certainly come much easier.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
DCRedhawk21

Beagle getting a lot of ice time is interesting, but it's definitely not the most problematic allocation we've seen during this series (at the risk of , I'm looking at you Wideman and Aucoin)

Old
04-23-2012, 06:35 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
I guessed you missed just about all of Ovie's playoff career, and most of Backtrom's?
I don't question Backstrom's level of effort. He gives it his all.

Are you happy with Ovi half assing it?

I love the guy, don't get me wrong, but he looks like he couldn't care less when the other team has the puck.

I remember his first playoff goal against the Flyers. Ovi on the forecheck, going after the puck hard. Stick lifting, stealing the puck, putting it in net. Where is that guy?

Old
04-23-2012, 06:36 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I hope everyone takes a look at our TOI/G.

Who is that at number 3... Mike Green, really, averaging ~4 minutes more per game than Wideman? Did Wideman get injured for most of a game?

And outside of Wideman, who should not be in the top 10?

Old
04-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Koized

I wish DH would put Orlov and Halpern in for game 7.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:42 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I hope everyone takes a look at our TOI/G.

Who is that at number 3... Mike Green, really, averaging ~4 minutes more per game than Wideman? Did Wideman get injured for most of a game?

And outside of Wideman, who should not be in the top 10?
Nice find.

Didn't even know you could break down playoff stats by team like that. This will come in handy.

This board's favorite whipping boy Acoin is almost at the bottom of the list and the dude still gets the hate. Is Halpy coming in for him for that amount of TOI really going to do much? I don't think so.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:50 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
of course implicit in that is that ov would be removed to make room at captain for beagle.

i can see the skill being traded to make room for an all grit and shot blocking roster.

ovechkin for dustin brown.
semin ufa left
backstrom traded for callahan
green traded for douglas murray
kuzntesov traded for clutterbuck

Closed Thread