HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECQF: #2 Boston Bruins v. #7 Washington Capitals Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 06:52 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I hope everyone takes a look at our TOI/G.

Who is that at number 3... Mike Green, really, averaging ~4 minutes more per game than Wideman? Did Wideman get injured for most of a game?

And outside of Wideman, who should not be in the top 10?
oh yea bra...i knew that. its why it makes even more sense that after all that with thing going well, you just take the 3rd pair guy with the -4 and give him the keys to the team truck and set the top minutes guy with the +4 on the bench and let him watch.

brilliant....

Old
04-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I don't question Backstrom's level of effort. He gives it his all.

Are you happy with Ovi half assing it?

I love the guy, don't get me wrong, but he looks like he couldn't care less when the other team has the puck.

I remember his first playoff goal against the Flyers. Ovi on the forecheck, going after the puck hard. Stick lifting, stealing the puck, putting it in net. Where is that guy?
If he played like he did for the last 5 minutes for the whole game, we probably win. At this point, I turn a blind eye to his ineptitude defensively, but he better be able to play at a high level offensively and he hasn't.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i can see the skill being traded to make room for an all grit and shot blocking roster.
Best of all is you can do that near the cap floor most likely. HunterHockey is implicitly underdog hockey.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:58 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
If he played like he did for the last 5 minutes for the whole game, we probably win. At this point, I turn a blind eye to his ineptitude defensively, but he better be able to play at a high level offensively and he hasn't.
Thom Loverro was on Sports Reports today and he was at the game. Said after Ovi got out of the box for that 4 min penalty, he looked pissed. Came to the bench and kicked the boards really loud like 3 times, entire arena could hear it. Supposedly Ovi played lights out after that. If he plays like that, we win next game easily. Hard to say which Ovi is going to show up though.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Say what you will about him but he is one of the few on this roster that gives his 100% no matter what end of the ice he is in. I wish I could say the same about majority of our roster. Can't win with your super stars half assing it. If the stars on this team provided Beagle's level of effort we'd have already won a cup.
So let me ask this. If player A at 70% effort is better than player B at 100 % effort, do you still play player A more than player B? That's even assuming Beagle gives more effort than, say, a Semin. I like Beagle, at the right price I'd like him to be our 3rd line center (and decent 2nd line depth) for a long time, But in the playoffs you have to go with your best horses; not the time to prove a point at the expense of a series. I think that holds true more so for Green, who I think has been very good this series (I agree with TX). The only guy I believe has put forth less than his best has been OV, and he's so damn explosive you have to live with that.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:09 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
So let me ask this. If player A at 70% effort is better than player B at 100 % effort, do you still play player A more than player B? That's even assuming Beagle gives more effort than, say, a Semin. I like Beagle, at the right price I'd like him to be our 3rd line center (and decent 2nd line depth) for a long time, But in the playoffs you have to go with your best horses; not the time to prove a point at the expense of a series. I think that holds true more so for Green, who I think has been very good this series (I agree with TX). The only guy I believe has put forth less than his best has been OV, and he's so damn explosive you have to live with that.
I don't think its fair to compare Ovi and Beagle that way. Beagle doesn't seem to be a defensive liability that Ovi is. Of course Beagle is also no where near the scorer Ovi is.

Its a risk/reward kind of thing with Ovi (more risk than reward right now I'd say). The guy could win you a game if he wants but him half assing it defensively could cost you dearly.

I don't think Dale is proving a point. He's trying to manage this risk/reward thing. That is why once we get a lead, Ovi's TOI seems to get cut. Because he doesn't want Ovi half assing it and costing the team since he seems to be prone to doing that more so than other forwards.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:13 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

The player management is absurd. There's nothing about Hunter's system that argues for playing the guys who suck.

I'm not talking about Beagle. He's been terrific in his role - though I do think he's played way too much at times when they needed offense.

I'm talking about Wideman who is undeniably terrible; Green, who's been playing better each game but is getting less and less ice time as a reward; and Aucoin who should be in Hershey. Chimera too.

If playing well, preventing goals against and scoring goals for isn't success under Hunter's system, than I don't know what he's after.

I do get the argument about freelancing, but the only game where I saw any freelancing was game 3. Since then, I've seen mostly consistent, strong play from all but Wideman and Aucoin.

In a perfectly tied series, where both teams have scored just 15 goals in 6 games, to play a D man who is -4 with 1 point is insane as is playing a forward who contributes absolutely nothing to a line that gets chances.

(Having said that, I just saw that Carlson is now a -3 with 1 point, second-worst on the team. He was -1 before last game.)

But whatever, Green and Hamrlik are both +5 for the series with 2 and 3 points respectively. No reason to bench either one.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:13 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Enough with the Ovi bashing.

When hes doing good, his linemates are going to the opposite end of the offensive zone as he is, when hes doing badly, they are cowering behind the red line leaving out to dry making it so ****ing easy for both Seidenberg and Chara to crowd him.

Ovechkin has shown all season long he knows he gets very little room and tries to drag the defense man, but for what reason? To pass the puck to no one? You can't ****ing blame him Laich and MoJo are afraid of the front of the net or being all alone on the wide open ****ing wing.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:22 PM
tycoonheart

My problem with Ovi's isn't in the offensive zone. He's trying his best with pug hog Laich. To have 5 points being matched against Chara and Seids while having Laich as his center is pretty dang good. My problem with him is what he doesn't do when the other team has the puck.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Enough with the Ovi bashing.

When hes doing good, his linemates are going to the opposite end of the offensive zone as he is, when hes doing badly, they are cowering behind the red line leaving out to dry making it so ****ing easy for both Seidenberg and Chara to crowd him.

Ovechkin has shown all season long he knows he gets very little room and tries to drag the defense man, but for what reason? To pass the puck to no one? You can't ****ing blame him Laich and MoJo are afraid of the front of the net or being all alone on the wide open ****ing wing.
There is some truth to what you are sayjng, but there are some extenuating factors you are not considering. First of all, when OV is carrying the puck and mad dashing up the ice there is a good chance he will turn it over. If both line mates are skating balls to the wall with OV, there is a high risk of an odd man rush the other way. The other issue is that OV cherry picks or takes off early at times, so he will be well ahead of his teammates. But I do agree that we need to be more creative on his rushes and give him more options.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:25 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
My problem with Ovi's isn't in the offensive zone. He's trying his best with pug hog Laich. To have 5 points being matched against Chara and Seids while having Laich as his center is pretty dang good. My problem with him is what he doesn't do when the other team has the puck.
This.

Also he shouldn't carry the puck into the O zone.

BUT: he's not our problem... the guys who are -lots of points without scoring are the issue.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

as much as he gets grief for it, its not really the wings job to be back checking that deep. Ovies defensive responsibilty is taking the point shot away from the defensemen. Its not his job to be chasing down Seguin, thats falls on the Center and the D. The wings can cover for the C/D if they are caught deep but that shouldnt happen often with good players.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:38 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Best of all is you can do that near the cap floor most likely. HunterHockey is implicitly underdog hockey.
i hear ya. they can replace evason with kono and try and get that miller kid from detroit...hey, thats it. trade ov to detroit for that miller kid.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I don't question Backstrom's level of effort. He gives it his all.

Are you happy with Ovi half assing it?

I love the guy, don't get me wrong, but he looks like he couldn't care less when the other team has the puck.

I remember his first playoff goal against the Flyers. Ovi on the forecheck, going after the puck hard. Stick lifting, stealing the puck, putting it in net. Where is that guy?
Your post was clearly referring to the past, when Ovechkin's been a playoff monster. One of the best in history.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
as much as he gets grief for it, its not really the wings job to be back checking that deep. Ovies defensive responsibilty is taking the point shot away from the defensemen. Its not his job to be chasing down Seguin, thats falls on the Center and the D. The wings can cover for the C/D if they are caught deep but that shouldnt happen often with good players.
So you are saying he should stay in the neutral and wait for the Bruins' defensemen to arrive? Had he hustled back to the defensive zone he would have been in position to help. He didn't.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Pop quiz.

Green's 3 highest TOI totals have what in common?
Yeah, but NO.....they dont.

Green TOI by Game
1: 21:01 == LOSS
2: 33:28 2 OT game == WIN
3: 26:35 (Wideman 15:00) == LOSS??
4: 19:09 == WIN??
5: 21:06 == WIN
6: 17:03 == LOSS
7:

His lowest minutes was a loss. 2nd Lowest was a win. His most minutes/60min game was a loss. 1 + 1 doesnt equal 2 here, necessarily, when it comes to Green's minutes.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
So you are saying he should stay in the neutral and wait for the Bruins' defensemen to arrive? Had he hustled back to the defensive zone he would have been in position to help. He didn't.
So what happens if Holtby makes a save, leaves a rebound and it get kicks back to the D for a big blast. Would Ovie be a stupid russian for being out of position?

Yeh maybe he could have rushed back and gotten a stick on him or taken a pen to prevent the goal. But not much you can do when there is a awful turnover like Backstrom commited on the GWG

Old
04-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Pop quiz.

How many games has Wideman sucked in the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Answer: 6.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:40 PM
txpd

Quote:
So what happens if Holtby makes a save, leaves a rebound and it get kicks back to the D for a big blast. Would Ovie be a stupid russian for being out of position?

Yeh maybe he could have rushed back and gotten a stick on him or taken a pen to prevent the goal. But not much you can do when there is a awful turnover like Backstrom commited on the GWG
actually, the caps winger are collapsing all the way down to the crease. they are not supposed to let the opposing d get between them and the net, but its not unusual now to see the caps wingers on top of the crease with the defense.

they dont cover the points. if the opposing d wants to stand and the blue line the caps wingers arent withing 15 ft of them.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Capsman

Quote:

A shot from the point was the least of our concerns. This was not a usual other team has possession in our zone situation. This was a turnover in the neutral zone, the Bruins D were back on their blue line. Nobody would have faulted OV for hustling back. In fact, had he done so he might have poke checked Seguin before there was a rebound. TX was correct in that we play a collapsing D and give up the point anyways.

I love OV and don't think he's a "dumb Russian". He was and will be a great player again, I believe. But IMO he saw that play develop and figured it was hopeless for us. I would rather he find that out rather than assume that. As poor a decision maker as Wideman is he threw himself into the net trying (as usual).

Old
04-23-2012, 09:21 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Katie, Whyno, you lurkers, do we have to type it up for you?

Dale, Aucoin has been a great addition to the roster since the deadline. But I am curious why you choose to use him over Alex Semin on the PP in game 6. Semin had barely been used in that game. Also, I was surprised to see your smallest forward in the crease over guys like Laich, Brouwer, and Knuble. Thanks.

Dale, Mike Green seems to be having a strong series. No ESGA, got his first goal in some time, leading the team in +-. Yet I noticed he only had 17 TOI last game. Is he injured, what's going on there, is it all matchups? Have you considered increasing his role in any way, like giving him PP time?

Dale, Wideman has been on the ice for quite a few ES goals this series, maybe all, sorry I need to check my notes, even though he is already averaging well under 20 minutes a game. Have you considered making any changes there?

George doesn't give out privileged info anyways, and you may gain his respect. You wont get fired, in fact your boss may be stunned to see how many hits you get.

Don't make me make my first tweet to put the pressure on.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-23-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old
04-23-2012, 09:23 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:

Dale, Aucoin has been a great addition to the roster since the deadline. But I am curious why you choose to use him over Alex Semin on the PP in game 6. Semin had barely been used in that game. Thanks.

Dale, Mike Green seems to be having a strong series. No ESGA, got his first goal in some time, leading the team in +-. Yet I noticed he only had 17 TOI last game. Is he injured, what's going on there, is it all matchups? Have you considered increasing his role in any way, like giving him PP time?

Dale, Wideman has been on the ice for quite a few ES goals this series, maybe all, sorry I need to check my notes, even though he is already averaging well under 20 minutes a game. Have you considered making any changes there?

George doesn't give your privileged info anyways. You wont get fired, in fact your boss may be stunned to see how many hits you get.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:27 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:

Dale, Aucoin has been a great addition to the roster since the deadline. But I am curious why you choose to use him over Alex Semin on the PP in game 6. Semin had barely been used in that game. Also, I was surprised to see your smallest forward in the crease over guys like Laich, Brouwer, and Knuble. Thanks.

George doesn't give your privileged info anyways. You wont get fired, in fact your boss may be stunned to see how many hits you get.

Lol. The only time I've seen a Washington sports reporter ask someone a "tough" question was when Czabe asked Brunell if he would bench himself for Campbell since he was playing like ass.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:50 PM
JMUcapsfan07

Quote:
Lol. The only time I've seen a Washington sports reporter ask someone a "tough" question was when Czabe asked Brunell if he would bench himself for Campbell since he was playing like ass.

Czabe was promptly fired from the CSN post game show as soon as that happened.

Maybe that explains why nobody asks the tough questions.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:52 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Any of you guys up for an avatar bet on game 7?

Closed Thread