HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MAF has a Save% under .900 4 straight series

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2012, 04:35 PM
plenewken

vCash: 500
As much as it pains me to admit it, I have completely lost confidence in Fleury. This guy has been a liability for 3 consecutive playoffs series and the FO needs to seriously look at the situation.
Fleury s*cked and to further compound the issue, the Penguins don't have a decent back-up goalie to replace him.
The reality is that Fleury's game can fall apart anytime and he could also be injured. Who could have replaced him? Nobody.

Back to the drawing board, Shero.

Old
04-22-2012, 05:28 PM
mgd525

Quote:
In goal, Marc-Andre Fleury finishes with a 4.63 GAA and a .834 save percentage in six games, and was once again a liability in Game 6. He came into this series as a "Stanley Cup winner." By the third period Sunday, Bruce Arthur of the National Post called him "Dan Cloutier with a ring."
This actually put a smile on my face, then I thought about it and its true, ugh lol.

Old
04-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

We really do need to find some goalie depth. What's out there?

I know some fans are talking big trades, getting rid of Fleury and giving up really good assets for Rask, Schneider etc. That's one option.

The UFA goalie group? Not sure there's anything worthwhile there.

Wonder what really good goalie prospects are available?

I still think Fleury will be back whether we like it or not, but I do think they are going to bring in a higher caliber backup that can ease the regular season load for Fleury and take over for him in the playoffs if he struggles again.

Old
04-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I'm not here to MAF bash, because sometimes he just doesn't have it. That's just who he is. But, isn't it the coaches job to realize when his goalie sucks and yank him? Granted BJ did not have a great season but sending a message to the goalie and the team is important. Bylsma sucks at using his goalies IMO. And I guess the Pens better start drafting them HEAVILY.

Old
04-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I'm not here to MAF bash, because sometimes he just doesn't have it. That's just who he is. But, isn't it the coaches job to realize when his goalie sucks and yank him? Granted BJ did not have a great season but sending a message to the goalie and the team is important. Bylsma sucks at using his goalies IMO. And I guess the Pens better start drafting them HEAVILY.
My biggest complaint of the series is this. DB knew his goalie was rattled and did nothing. I guess that shows you how little they think of Johnson though.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Jacob

Johnson wasn't very good at any point this season, so I don't see why they'd ever go to him.

I mean, as a coach, what you try to do is get Fleury back on track. I don't think you do that by playing musical goaltenders.

Look how insane he played on Friday night. Fleury is an enigma. He can go from awful, to unbeatable, and back to awful within a 48 hour period. No coach is gonna figure him out. All you gotta do is keep playing him, really. You might not win with him, but you certainly won't win without him.

That's why we need a really good backup. Johnson was fantastic as a backup for two years, but this year he just kinda bombed. It forced us to overplay Fleury. Whether or not that's what caused his game to falter is anyone's guess.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:01 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I don't think that drafting is a good way to address goaltending. Young goaltenders are way too difficult to predict and there are so many factors that contribute to their numbers. I'd rather poach from other teams.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:02 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Johnson wasn't very good at any point this season, so I don't see why they'd ever go to him.

I mean, as a coach, what you try to do is get Fleury back on track. I don't think you do that by playing musical goaltenders.

Look how insane he played on Friday night. Fleury is an enigma. He can go from awful, to unbeatable, and back to awful within a 48 hour period. No coach is gonna figure him out. All you gotta do is keep playing him, really. You might not win with him, but you certainly won't win without him.

That's why we need a really good backup. Johnson was fantastic as a backup for two years, but this year he just kinda bombed. It forced us to overplay Fleury. Whether or not that's what caused his game to falter is anyone's guess.
I think that sums it up perfectly.

Old
mgd525

I would love to see us get Tomas Vokoun. Corey Sandford would make a solid back up. Dan Ellis is a ufa.

Josh Harding would be perfect.

Old
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
We really do need to find some goalie depth. What's out there?
From free agency, the only ones I'd consider are Vokoun & Harding. Anders Lindback is RFA stuck behind Rinne.

From trades: Bernier, maybe Rask depending on how Boston finishes this postseason, Kipprusoff is probably available if Calgary wants to rebuild, can't see Luongo returning to Vancouver though that's a longshot

Harding might seem the ideal blend of ability and age, but he has major injury concerns. If (doubtfully) they got rid of Fleury, I wouldn't be against a potential Harding/Vokoun tandem.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:

He played well in the third. Better than solid. A really good period of playoff hockey.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:16 PM
mgd525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
From free agency, the only ones I'd consider are Vokoun & Harding. Anders Lindback is RFA stuck behind Rinne.

From trades: Bernier, maybe Rask depending on how Boston finishes this postseason, Kipprusoff is probably available if Calgary wants to rebuild, can't see Luongo returning to Vancouver though that's a longshot

Harding might seem the ideal blend of ability and age, but he has major injury concerns. If (doubtfully) they got rid of Fleury, I wouldn't be against a potential Harding/Vokoun tandem.
this team would still be playing if we had Kipper. I wonder if something could be done around flower and kipper. Imo could make sense for both teams. Kip is still a great goalie even at 35.

Flower is younger and could possibly fix himself.

Last edited by mgd525: 04-22-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old
04-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Terrapin

I said this in another thread. Fleury has the potential to be outstanding. Sometimes he is. Sometimes he beyond horrible. But I really think, for this team as currently constructed, Fleury is not the right man for this team.

With our offensive talent, and until a few weeks ago, a pretty solid defense, we don't need a top 5 goalie. If we had an average to above average goalie, someone who's consistent, we would have won this series. Probably would have beat Montreal 2 years ago. Fleury's inconsistency is killing this team. We shouldn't need a goalie to stand on his head and steal games for us. We need someone to make routine saves, not let in soft goals like clockwork, and make an occassional big save.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:58 PM
mgd525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I said this in another thread. Fleury has the potential to be outstanding. Sometimes he is. Sometimes he beyond horrible. But I really think, for this team as currently constructed, Fleury is not the right man for this team.

With our offensive talent, and until a few weeks ago, a pretty solid defense, we don't need a top 5 goalie. If we had an average to above average goalie, someone who's consistent, we would have won this series. Probably would have beat Montreal 2 years ago. Fleury's inconsistency is killing this team. We shouldn't need a goalie to stand on his head and steal games for us. We need someone to make routine saves, not let in soft goals like clockwork, and make an occassional big save.
I agree. I think parting ways is best at this point. We cleary can't trust him at this point and he makes 5.5 mill. What makes it worse is we now have to spend a good bit of money on a real good back up. I don't want to spend 8 or 9 million on goalies.

I'd be happy spending a total of 5 mill on Harding/Vokoun together. Ship out Martin and go after Suter.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
MAF=AJ Burnett.

You can deal him now, improve, and get something in return. But no, Ray Ray is going to be a ***** and keep the dysfunctional core together too late.
That is a hilarious comparison. I don't see any possible angle it is true though.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:59 PM
gordie

A change in coaching staff will correct this problem as well as many others.

Old
04-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:

Saying you wont win without him you are clearly basing that off our current situation. Fleury is probably still movable to several teams and we could bring in a much more consistent goalie through trade/free agency.

I think the Pens if they have consistent goaltending over the next 2/3 years are a really good bet to get another Ring. The problem with Fleury is just what you said, sometimes hes good enough to get us to the finals (not often enough) and sometimes hes good enough to get us an ECHL title (too often).

Old
04-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
MAF blowing the third series in a row...
Yeah, lets not consider that last season was without Sid and Geno, the current version of Neal, and a healthy Staal.

Old
04-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Yeah, lets not consider that last season was without Sid and Geno, the current version of Neal, and a healthy Staal.
I agree, lets not consider it....especially considering he was given a 3 games to 1 lead in the series with that version of the team.

Old
04-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
I agree, lets not consider it....especially considering he was given a 3 games to 1 lead in the series with that version of the team.
You don't remember game 7 do you?

Old
04-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
You don't remember game 7 do you?
Oh I remember it, I also remember games 5 and 6. I also remember that you're thinking about a very small sample of his ****** goaltending when you could be focusing on the Montreal series or Philly series, or even the Ottawa series before that Montreal one where he was average at best. Im just done with the excuses for his garbage/inconsistent performances when it matters.

Old
04-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Control Denied

I wouldnt say Fleury blew the TB series like he did with this one and the Montreal one. He definitely got outplayed by a 50 year old Roloson though

Old
04-22-2012, 08:12 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
Yeah, he was just given the 3 games to 1 lead, he had nothing to do with that lead

Old
04-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Yeah, he was just given the 3 games to 1 lead, he had nothing to do with that lead
Hardly the point, he was MAF in that series, had 3 great games 3 brutal games and 1 okay game. 2 of the brutal games were after we had a 3-1 series lead and we lost the series. Thats what matters.

His < 900 sv% is was just 1 more playoff series for him. For every bit of good he did he went out the game after and took a **** on the team and made it impossible to win.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Rocket of Russia
Defender of Tang

If the defense of the guys in front of him played an average series, we wouldn't be talking about this. The breakdowns were brutal and they seemed to rattle him from the start when it became evident he was going to have to make amazing saves twice a period.

Closed Thread