HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MAF has a Save% under .900 4 straight series

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2012, 10:37 PM
TheSniper26
Leadership

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket of Russia View Post
If the defense of the guys in front of him played an average series, we wouldn't be talking about this. The breakdowns were brutal and they seemed to rattle him from the start when it became evident he was going to have to make amazing saves twice a period.
To be fair, I don't think it was his lack of amazing saves that lost this series. It was the lack of routine ones. I'm sorry, but an un-screened wrister from just inside the blue line has no business going in on a pro goalie. And that is just one of several in this series that had no business going in. Defensive breakdowns or not, Fleury still has his responsibility of stopping pucks. That means stopping a few quality chances here and there. We can point fingers at Martin and Malkin and Crosby and Bylsma all we want, but in the end, your goalie has to make the saves he's supposed to make if you're going to have a chance.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Siberian

Fleury has always been an average goaltender. In 2009 he just had a much better defense.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:59 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Fleury has always been an average goaltender. In 2009 he just had a much better defense.
I disagree. He has all of the physical ability to be a top goalie and he's probably the best shootout goalie in the league.

His problem is his mental game. It's very fragile.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:02 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
To be fair, I don't think it was his lack of amazing saves that lost this series. It was the lack of routine ones. I'm sorry, but an un-screened wrister from just inside the blue line has no business going in on a pro goalie. And that is just one of several in this series that had no business going in. Defensive breakdowns or not, Fleury still has his responsibility of stopping pucks. That means stopping a few quality chances here and there. We can point fingers at Martin and Malkin and Crosby and Bylsma all we want, but in the end, your goalie has to make the saves he's supposed to make if you're going to have a chance.
I'll just keep parroting the same post over and over again. I know it won't have an effect, but I'm stubborn in that way.

Watch other playoff games. Drink them up. Pens don't have any more breakdowns than any other team, yet time after time, the elites are coming up with huge stops time and again.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I disagree. He has all of the physical ability to be a top goalie and he's probably the best shootout goalie in the league.

His problem is his mental game. It's very fragile.
I agree,

I don't know where everyone gets the idea that he's a bad goalie, and he's not even just average, I think he's above average with the ability to be elite, just needs more confidence and a better defense.

Guys....just stop, quit pointing fingers, I don't want to see numerous threads about how Fleury should be traded, the team lost as a team you can't blame the Penguins losing in the 1st round 2 years in a row on one individual. I see people saying "fire Bylsma", "trade Fleury", etc. The team lost, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin just as responsible for this loss as Bylsma and Fleury are, the whole team lost. Time to think about it over the offseason, make some changes and make a run next year.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:07 PM
jerome garcia

him and his mental problem need to go then. you can't keep screwing your team because the goaltender cant get his **** together. not fair to the other guys. i know we only scored one goal, but that third one deflated the team and they lost hope of winning after that. i'm a fleury fan, but enough already. your either a playoff winner, or your not. one cup shouldnt give you a free pass the rest of your career. yeah the defense sucked, but too many soft goals is too many soft goals no matter how you look at it.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I'll just keep parroting the same post over and over again. I know it won't have an effect, but I'm stubborn in that way.

Watch other playoff games. Drink them up. Pens don't have any more breakdowns than any other team, yet time after time, the elites are coming up with huge stops time and again.
And this is exactly why some people who continue to insist Fleury gets left out to dry more than any other goalie in the league believe so. Because those other elite goalies make the save, thus those breakdowns don't show up on the scoresheet/highlight reel. Fleury highlights his team's breakdowns because they end up in the net.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:21 PM
vodeni

and that's why save percentage stats never lie...
whenever MAF is on one of his good streaks his saves percentage goes up .925-930, but his average is .913 which makes a whole a lot of difference and that is who he is, an average goalie with highs and lows peaking at higher intensity than for the others.

not to mention his play off SV%

Old
04-22-2012, 11:22 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
And this is exactly why some people who continue to insist Fleury gets left out to dry more than any other goalie in the league believe so. Because those other elite goalies make the save, thus those breakdowns don't show up on the scoresheet/highlight reel. Fleury highlights his team's breakdowns because they end up in the net.
Of all the things that drive me nuts on these boards, it's that. People really are dismissive of the fact that what makes the other true elites exactly that - elite - is that they DON'T have to make the number of quality saves that Fleury is asked to make.

I mean, what exactly makes them elite then? 1 big save a period? 2? I'm sorry, but you're not given that distinction by coming up big once in a while because your defensive system is so ****ing stellar.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:37 PM
metalan2

Just a bad goalie that makes flashy saves from time to time. If we had even an average goalie we are moving on. But we didn't and lost.

Of course I'm telling the truth again, but looked at like I'm denying the lord and savior Jesus Christ.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:39 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Just a bad goalie that makes flashy saves from time to time. If we had even an average goalie we are moving on. But we didn't and lost.
I just cannot believe anyone can say this. You realize we don't even come CLOSE to getting our name on the cup in 2009 without #29, right?

Has he been inconsistent in big moments? Yes. It's as if we sold our souls to make it happen in 09. I think he will rebound as he's still so young. I just can't believe anyone would say he's a bad goalie because of it. Look at Marty. Look at Hank. Look at some of the best goalies, too. Look at Miller. They do it, too.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Sivek

He's played over 500 games at NHL level, that's more than a ton of active goalies, more than Miller, almost as many of Lundqvist, when is the light going to turn on? When is he going to take a step into the top 8 goalies in the league?

I can't see it happening after such a great amount of games. He still has the same flaws he did as a teenager.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:43 AM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I just cannot believe anyone can say this. You realize we don't even come CLOSE to getting our name on the cup in 2009 without #29, right?

Has he been inconsistent in big moments? Yes. It's as if we sold our souls to make it happen in 09. I think he will rebound as he's still so young. I just can't believe anyone would say he's a bad goalie because of it. Look at Marty. Look at Hank. Look at some of the best goalies, too. Look at Miller. They do it, too.
I agree that Flower was a HUGE part of the cup run in 09 and also getting to the finals in 08. BUT...since he got his name on the cup he's been under 900 in the playoffs. That just isn't good enough. I don't put all the blame on him. The D is terrible. But he's a big part of it. Much more of a part of it than DB, Staal, Malkin, Sid, Martin or Talbot talking to his coach.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I agree,

I don't know where everyone gets the idea that he's a bad goalie, and he's not even just average, I think he's above average with the ability to be elite, just needs more confidence and a better defense.

Guys....just stop, quit pointing fingers, I don't want to see numerous threads about how Fleury should be traded, the team lost as a team you can't blame the Penguins losing in the 1st round 2 years in a row on one individual. I see people saying "fire Bylsma", "trade Fleury", etc. The team lost, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin just as responsible for this loss as Bylsma and Fleury are, the whole team lost. Time to think about it over the offseason, make some changes and make a run next year.
This. They lost as a team, there wasnt 1 individual the lost it for them.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:51 AM
zhenya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Fleury is no stranger to rebounds. That's for sure.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
Oh I remember it, I also remember games 5 and 6. I also remember that you're thinking about a very small sample of his ****** goaltending when you could be focusing on the Montreal series or Philly series, or even the Ottawa series before that Montreal one where he was average at best. Im just done with the excuses for his garbage/inconsistent performances when it matters.
The irony is delicious.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
He's played over 500 games at NHL level, that's more than a ton of active goalies, more than Miller, almost as many of Lundqvist, when is the light going to turn on? When is he going to take a step into the top 8 goalies in the league?

I can't see it happening after such a great amount of games. He still has the same flaws he did as a teenager.
When did this turn into a Staal bashing thread? lol

Old
04-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Shwag33

Vokoun is a FA.... i'm not sold on getting rid of fleury unless we have a real plan going forward.

Holtby is going to be the caps starter next year, Vokoun will most likely be out, as long as his injuries are healed i'd go for him.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Face facts, if we hadn't of drafted him. I don't see us with a nearly as competent netminder. We would likely have no cup, and Flyer like goalie problems (before Bryz).

Old
04-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Shwag33

The people really defending fleury, saying it was all defense. While they didn't play good flower made what 3 or 4 really good saves in the series throughout the game. He put the puck in his own net twice.

Soft goals are killers for team morale. The rest of the players are human.... how many times did the pens work to score a goal and then fleury give up a softy 2 min later?

Old
04-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Crosberry87

Bad defense or not, he had to make some more saves. Look at all the goals he gave up in game 6. Freaking wrists shots with no screen and beating him clean. Every team gives up good scoring chances and rely on their goalie to make timely saves. Quick, Rinne, Lundqvist, Thomas, etc, those guys continually make those saves.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:23 AM
LSnow

Fleury and Niemi are very comparable, both have the ability to be really really good or really bad.. Both are inconsistent but have alot of talent.. Both are OK starters.. Funny thing is other one is 1st overall pick and other is undraftet...

Old
04-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Control Denied

Fleury wasnt a huge part of the cup run. He was just as average then as hes always been

Old
04-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Gold Diamond
Dey Soff

Fleury is going nowhere. He's a very good goalie who has played mediocre in the playoffs the past 3 years. Not every goalie goes God Mode, and I'm not going to fault him for this.

That being said, we need a better back-up next year to spell Fleury and play around 20 games. Fleury's mental game is shot to pieces.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:49 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post

Thought it happened this year, played great for most of the season.

**** his play was disappointing this series. You just can't be ****** in the playoffs as often as he is.

Closed Thread