HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Will Wellwood Make The Show??

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2005, 11:18 AM
  #51
MontrealCruiser_83*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Well Higgins may be too small also to make an inpact since he is only one inch bigger.....what a joke. Size is only an issue if you let it be an issue.
Wellwood doesn't have near the amount of natural skill that Higgins does.

MontrealCruiser_83* is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 11:26 AM
  #52
It Kills Me
Registered User
 
It Kills Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
Wellwood doesn't have near the amount of natural skill that Higgins does.
I don't agree. Skating isn't bad just not great. I'd take Wellwood over Higgins anytime. Natural talent? That of all things is what I would Wellwood has the most of.

It Kills Me is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 11:30 AM
  #53
MontrealCruiser_83*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
I'd take Wellwood over Higgins anytime.
Nice knowing your not worth arguing with early on.

MontrealCruiser_83* is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 11:30 AM
  #54
Twist and Shout
Registered User
 
Twist and Shout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
Wellwood doesn't have near the amount of natural skill that Higgins does.
Haha.... How many times have you watched Wellwood, and how many times have you watched Higgins?

Twist and Shout is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 11:37 AM
  #55
MontrealCruiser_83*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Wellwood about 10 times and Higgins anywhere from 15-20. You can't seriously compare some guy who was drafted in the late rounds to a bluechipper who was picked in the first half of the 1st round. Higgins dominated in College, dominated when he played with the US, dominated last season in the AHL, and would of been in a Habs jersey by Christmas. You Leaf fans are seriously a joke if you start talking about Wellwood like he's a guarenteed 2nd/3rd liner with upside. Grow up and realize that your players aren't always the best.

MontrealCruiser_83* is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 11:47 AM
  #56
Twist and Shout
Registered User
 
Twist and Shout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
Wellwood about 10 times and Higgins anywhere from 15-20. You can't seriously compare some guy who was drafted in the late rounds to a bluechipper who was picked in the first half of the 1st round. Higgins dominated in College, dominated when he played with the US, dominated last season in the AHL, and would of been in a Habs jersey by Christmas. You Leaf fans are seriously a joke if you start talking about Wellwood like he's a guarenteed 2nd/3rd liner with upside. Grow up and realize that your players aren't always the best.
If Higgins dominated in the AHL last year, then Wellwood was the best player in the AHL last year....

Twist and Shout is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 11:49 AM
  #57
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
Wellwood doesn't have near the amount of natural skill that Higgins does.
I haven't seen a player in the AHL who can stickhandle like Wellwood can. That is a skill is it not?

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 12:10 PM
  #58
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
I haven't seen a player in the AHL who can stickhandle like Wellwood can. That is a skill is it not?
yes... that is "a" skill.... the best stickhandler in hockey though isn't always the most skilled all-around player.

NFITO is online now  
Old
01-22-2005, 12:23 PM
  #59
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
yes... that is "a" skill.... the best stickhandler in hockey though isn't always the most skilled all-around player.
Superior stickhandling leads to being able to beat players, get open to make passes, and get into scoring position. It is a very big part of being a skilled all around player. We have all seen guys that can skate like the wind but don't have the puck skills to finish.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 12:35 PM
  #60
Lobstertainment
Registered User
 
Lobstertainment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,250
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
The size thing doesn't make much sense IMO, how many big players failed to make it too?

Lobstertainment is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 01:07 PM
  #61
CoupeStanley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nicolet
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Those Higgins/Wellwood comparaison are silly... Two totally different kind of player.

Higgins doesnt have that ability that a guy like Wellwood have to enter the o-zone slow the pace of the play and hit the guy right on the tape to create a play. The Wellwood advantage stop there. Higgins is a really fast player, got a better hockey sense, better shot. He's the kind of guy you can put in every situation and he will make you happy. A player that coaches loves to have.

Wellwood may become another version of Ribeiro. Higgins upside is more like a Jere Lehtinen. You can't get more different than this.

If Leafs fans, absolutely want to compare their prospect against ours. Try Wellwood vs Locke.

CoupeStanley is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 01:12 PM
  #62
MontrealCruiser_83*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
If Leafs fans, absolutely want to compare their prospect against ours. Try Wellwood vs Locke.
I was just about to say that... Word for word.

There's a reason why Higgins went in the first round.

MontrealCruiser_83* is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 01:14 PM
  #63
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
I know that you Leaf fans love Wellwood, but IMO he's being way overrated here.

He's a decent prospect... every team in the NHL has decent prospects though... he's still a guy that isn't a sure bet to make the NHL, and more so a long shot than anything, given the circumstances around him (his size, skating, need to make it as a top 6 or bust, etc)....

The Leafs prospects overall get overrated here by Leaf fans IMO... while I know that HF rankings are subjective, still the Leafs are ranked 29 out of 30 teams!! Wellwood is the 3rd best prospect on a team which doesn't have a lot of depth in terms of prospects.

Wellwood might make the NHL... he might make it as a Leaf, but both of these are still uncertain, and IMO a long shot... not to say long shots don't make it, but it won't be easy for Wellwood.

Outside of Toronto (and St. John's), his worth likely isn't much at all... we've seen many prospects with excellent stickhandling abilities, and good offensive skills not pan out - Druken is a perfect example of this... as is Josh Holden - both prospects who have gone through the canucks and leafs systems.

Druken had the top 6 game, and even put up points and created lots of offensive opportunities while in the *NHL*... but he was still missing a lot of other things that eventually kept him out of the NHL - one being his lack of defensive awareness, as well as his skating ability (while not a bad skater, he didn't have above average ability to make up for the lack of his defensive game).... like Wellwood, he was also a prospect that needed to crack the top 6, or bust... he wouldn't help a team on the bottom 2 lines. Eventually time ran out on him in Vancouver, as the team couldn't commit to giving him a top 6 spot under waiver protection, and he was moved, then claimed off waivers by the next team he failed under.

I guess only time will tell, but I think most of the hockey world outside of Leaf fans here, think his making the NHL is still very much in the air, and it would be considered a big suprise if he made it - at least as a Leaf - then if he didn't.

NFITO is online now  
Old
01-22-2005, 01:22 PM
  #64
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,229
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Wellwood will only make the NHL once he improves his skating and bulks up. He's very weak with the puck and once he gets hit he constantly loses it. He has amazing vision, but he really can't take a hit and his skating is very sub-par. Not awful, but bad. Bad enough to keep him out of the NHL, that's for sure.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
01-22-2005, 01:25 PM
  #65
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I know that you Leaf fans love Wellwood, but IMO he's being way overrated here.

He's a decent prospect... every team in the NHL has decent prospects though... he's still a guy that isn't a sure bet to make the NHL, and more so a long shot than anything, given the circumstances around him (his size, skating, need to make it as a top 6 or bust, etc)....

The Leafs prospects overall get overrated here by Leaf fans IMO... while I know that HF rankings are subjective, still the Leafs are ranked 29 out of 30 teams!! Wellwood is the 3rd best prospect on a team which doesn't have a lot of depth in terms of prospects.

Wellwood might make the NHL... he might make it as a Leaf, but both of these are still uncertain, and IMO a long shot... not to say long shots don't make it, but it won't be easy for Wellwood.

Outside of Toronto (and St. John's), his worth likely isn't much at all... we've seen many prospects with excellent stickhandling abilities, and good offensive skills not pan out - Druken is a perfect example of this... as is Josh Holden - both prospects who have gone through the canucks and leafs systems.

Druken had the top 6 game, and even put up points and created lots of offensive opportunities while in the *NHL*... but he was still missing a lot of other things that eventually kept him out of the NHL - one being his lack of defensive awareness, as well as his skating ability (while not a bad skater, he didn't have above average ability to make up for the lack of his defensive game).... like Wellwood, he was also a prospect that needed to crack the top 6, or bust... he wouldn't help a team on the bottom 2 lines. Eventually time ran out on him in Vancouver, as the team couldn't commit to giving him a top 6 spot under waiver protection, and he was moved, then claimed off waivers by the next team he failed under.

I guess only time will tell, but I think most of the hockey world outside of Leaf fans here, think his making the NHL is still very much in the air, and it would be considered a big suprise if he made it - at least as a Leaf - then if he didn't.
The people who say, for no other reason than they want to, that Wellwood won't make it have a pretty easy job finding examples because there are hundreds of guys that didn't make it. Anyone who points out that Wellwood is one of the most skilled players in the league can easily get shouted down by " yeah, but XXXXX had good stats but where is he!"

The AHL is there for a reason which is to feed the NHL so if a player at Wellwood's age is one of the top players in that league it is reasonable to expect that he can be in the NHL.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
01-23-2005, 10:53 PM
  #66
bruins4777*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
I'd take wellwood over higgins....

bruins4777* is offline  
Old
01-23-2005, 11:12 PM
  #67
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,793
vCash: 500
Will Locke make the show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
If Leafs fans, absolutely want to compare their prospect against ours. Try Wellwood vs Locke.
Sure, why don't we open up the scope of the thread a little more.

Will Corey Locke make the show?
Or who has a better chance to make the NHL? Locke or Wellwood?

trentmccleary is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 10:26 AM
  #68
LesCanadiens
Registered User
 
LesCanadiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Okanagan Baby!
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
I'd take wellwood over higgins....
Mike Milbury....is that you?

LesCanadiens is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 10:35 AM
  #69
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Sure, why don't we open up the scope of the thread a little more.

Will Corey Locke make the show?
Or who has a better chance to make the NHL? Locke or Wellwood?
Wellwood will make the NHL, don't know enough about Locke to say one way or the other.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 10:39 AM
  #70
johnnyboo
Registered User
 
johnnyboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Za Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
I'd take wellwood over higgins....


why take a guy who will be extremely lucky to make the nhl in a capacitated role, over a guy who a sure fire nhl'er
who will have an impact & be an integeral part of any team.


Last edited by johnnyboo: 01-24-2005 at 10:46 AM.
johnnyboo is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 10:55 AM
  #71
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggyboy
why take a guy who will be extremely lucky to make the nhl in a capacitated role, over a guy who a sure fire nhl'er
who will have an impact & be an integeral part of any team.
Is that what you saw in your crystal ball?

And what the hell is a "capicitated role"?

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 11:09 AM
  #72
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Well Higgins may be too small also to make an inpact since he is only one inch bigger.....what a joke. Size is only an issue if you let it be an issue.
That may be true but Higgins is a great skater, he could skate circles around Wellwood, it's on thing to be small and fast but when your small and slow you've got another big hurdle when you hit the big leagues, not saying he won't make it he has the skill kinda in the same postion as Locke they could do it but there size and speed will work against them.

eddy is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 11:15 AM
  #73
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
That may be true but Higgins is a great skater, he could skate circles around Wellwood, it's on thing to be small and fast but when your small and slow you've got another big hurdle when you hit the big leagues, not saying he won't make it he has the skill kinda in the same postion as Locke they could do it but there size and speed will work against them.
I can't figure out why if Higgins is a much better NHL prospect then why isn't he outplaying Wellwood in the AHL?

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 11:23 AM
  #74
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
I can't figure out why if Higgins is a much better NHL prospect then why isn't he outplaying Wellwood in the AHL?
Stats isn't everything but if your gonna go by stats Corey Locke is currently outplaying Higgins right now in Hamilton but I don't think any one thinks he's a better prospect then Higgins. Jarvis is a defence first minded coach and he's been trying to teach the team defence first system and until recently they've been concentrating on that and weren't putting the puck in the net, but i'll admit things havn't been as well as we would have thought for higgins offencivly but I think things will start to heat up for the whole team here in the 2nd half.

eddy is offline  
Old
01-24-2005, 11:24 AM
  #75
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,315
vCash: 500
I can see Wellwood getting some success on the PP in the NHL but I think his ice time 5 on 5 will be very limited. That will make him a decent player but not at all an impact player. IMO, the very best this guy can hope to achieve carreer wise is comparable to Yanic Perreault. Not bad but far from being an impact player.

Fozz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.