HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Will Wellwood Make The Show??

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2005, 11:18 AM
MontrealCruiser_83*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Well Higgins may be too small also to make an inpact since he is only one inch bigger.....what a joke. Size is only an issue if you let it be an issue.
Wellwood doesn't have near the amount of natural skill that Higgins does.

Old
01-22-2005, 11:26 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
I don't agree. Skating isn't bad just not great. I'd take Wellwood over Higgins anytime. Natural talent? That of all things is what I would Wellwood has the most of.

Old
01-22-2005, 11:30 AM
MontrealCruiser_83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
I'd take Wellwood over Higgins anytime.
Nice knowing your not worth arguing with early on.

Old
01-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Haha.... How many times have you watched Wellwood, and how many times have you watched Higgins?

Old
01-22-2005, 11:37 AM
MontrealCruiser_83*

Wellwood about 10 times and Higgins anywhere from 15-20. You can't seriously compare some guy who was drafted in the late rounds to a bluechipper who was picked in the first half of the 1st round. Higgins dominated in College, dominated when he played with the US, dominated last season in the AHL, and would of been in a Habs jersey by Christmas. You Leaf fans are seriously a joke if you start talking about Wellwood like he's a guarenteed 2nd/3rd liner with upside. Grow up and realize that your players aren't always the best.

Old
01-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Wellwood about 10 times and Higgins anywhere from 15-20. You can't seriously compare some guy who was drafted in the late rounds to a bluechipper who was picked in the first half of the 1st round. Higgins dominated in College, dominated when he played with the US, dominated last season in the AHL, and would of been in a Habs jersey by Christmas. You Leaf fans are seriously a joke if you start talking about Wellwood like he's a guarenteed 2nd/3rd liner with upside. Grow up and realize that your players aren't always the best.
If Higgins dominated in the AHL last year, then Wellwood was the best player in the AHL last year....

Old
01-22-2005, 11:49 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I haven't seen a player in the AHL who can stickhandle like Wellwood can. That is a skill is it not?

Old
01-22-2005, 12:10 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
I haven't seen a player in the AHL who can stickhandle like Wellwood can. That is a skill is it not?
yes... that is "a" skill.... the best stickhandler in hockey though isn't always the most skilled all-around player.

Old
01-22-2005, 12:23 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
yes... that is "a" skill.... the best stickhandler in hockey though isn't always the most skilled all-around player.
Superior stickhandling leads to being able to beat players, get open to make passes, and get into scoring position. It is a very big part of being a skilled all around player. We have all seen guys that can skate like the wind but don't have the puck skills to finish.

Old
01-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
The size thing doesn't make much sense IMO, how many big players failed to make it too?

Old
01-22-2005, 01:07 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Those Higgins/Wellwood comparaison are silly... Two totally different kind of player.

Higgins doesnt have that ability that a guy like Wellwood have to enter the o-zone slow the pace of the play and hit the guy right on the tape to create a play. The Wellwood advantage stop there. Higgins is a really fast player, got a better hockey sense, better shot. He's the kind of guy you can put in every situation and he will make you happy. A player that coaches loves to have.

Wellwood may become another version of Ribeiro. Higgins upside is more like a Jere Lehtinen. You can't get more different than this.

If Leafs fans, absolutely want to compare their prospect against ours. Try Wellwood vs Locke.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:12 PM
MontrealCruiser_83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
If Leafs fans, absolutely want to compare their prospect against ours. Try Wellwood vs Locke.
I was just about to say that... Word for word.

There's a reason why Higgins went in the first round.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:14 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I know that you Leaf fans love Wellwood, but IMO he's being way overrated here.

He's a decent prospect... every team in the NHL has decent prospects though... he's still a guy that isn't a sure bet to make the NHL, and more so a long shot than anything, given the circumstances around him (his size, skating, need to make it as a top 6 or bust, etc)....

The Leafs prospects overall get overrated here by Leaf fans IMO... while I know that HF rankings are subjective, still the Leafs are ranked 29 out of 30 teams!! Wellwood is the 3rd best prospect on a team which doesn't have a lot of depth in terms of prospects.

Wellwood might make the NHL... he might make it as a Leaf, but both of these are still uncertain, and IMO a long shot... not to say long shots don't make it, but it won't be easy for Wellwood.

Outside of Toronto (and St. John's), his worth likely isn't much at all... we've seen many prospects with excellent stickhandling abilities, and good offensive skills not pan out - Druken is a perfect example of this... as is Josh Holden - both prospects who have gone through the canucks and leafs systems.

Druken had the top 6 game, and even put up points and created lots of offensive opportunities while in the *NHL*... but he was still missing a lot of other things that eventually kept him out of the NHL - one being his lack of defensive awareness, as well as his skating ability (while not a bad skater, he didn't have above average ability to make up for the lack of his defensive game).... like Wellwood, he was also a prospect that needed to crack the top 6, or bust... he wouldn't help a team on the bottom 2 lines. Eventually time ran out on him in Vancouver, as the team couldn't commit to giving him a top 6 spot under waiver protection, and he was moved, then claimed off waivers by the next team he failed under.

I guess only time will tell, but I think most of the hockey world outside of Leaf fans here, think his making the NHL is still very much in the air, and it would be considered a big suprise if he made it - at least as a Leaf - then if he didn't.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Wellwood will only make the NHL once he improves his skating and bulks up. He's very weak with the puck and once he gets hit he constantly loses it. He has amazing vision, but he really can't take a hit and his skating is very sub-par. Not awful, but bad. Bad enough to keep him out of the NHL, that's for sure.

Old
01-22-2005, 01:25 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I know that you Leaf fans love Wellwood, but IMO he's being way overrated here.

He's a decent prospect... every team in the NHL has decent prospects though... he's still a guy that isn't a sure bet to make the NHL, and more so a long shot than anything, given the circumstances around him (his size, skating, need to make it as a top 6 or bust, etc)....

The Leafs prospects overall get overrated here by Leaf fans IMO... while I know that HF rankings are subjective, still the Leafs are ranked 29 out of 30 teams!! Wellwood is the 3rd best prospect on a team which doesn't have a lot of depth in terms of prospects.

Wellwood might make the NHL... he might make it as a Leaf, but both of these are still uncertain, and IMO a long shot... not to say long shots don't make it, but it won't be easy for Wellwood.

Outside of Toronto (and St. John's), his worth likely isn't much at all... we've seen many prospects with excellent stickhandling abilities, and good offensive skills not pan out - Druken is a perfect example of this... as is Josh Holden - both prospects who have gone through the canucks and leafs systems.

Druken had the top 6 game, and even put up points and created lots of offensive opportunities while in the *NHL*... but he was still missing a lot of other things that eventually kept him out of the NHL - one being his lack of defensive awareness, as well as his skating ability (while not a bad skater, he didn't have above average ability to make up for the lack of his defensive game).... like Wellwood, he was also a prospect that needed to crack the top 6, or bust... he wouldn't help a team on the bottom 2 lines. Eventually time ran out on him in Vancouver, as the team couldn't commit to giving him a top 6 spot under waiver protection, and he was moved, then claimed off waivers by the next team he failed under.

I guess only time will tell, but I think most of the hockey world outside of Leaf fans here, think his making the NHL is still very much in the air, and it would be considered a big suprise if he made it - at least as a Leaf - then if he didn't.
The people who say, for no other reason than they want to, that Wellwood won't make it have a pretty easy job finding examples because there are hundreds of guys that didn't make it. Anyone who points out that Wellwood is one of the most skilled players in the league can easily get shouted down by " yeah, but XXXXX had good stats but where is he!"

The AHL is there for a reason which is to feed the NHL so if a player at Wellwood's age is one of the top players in that league it is reasonable to expect that he can be in the NHL.

Old
01-23-2005, 10:53 PM
bruins4777*

I'd take wellwood over higgins....

Old
01-23-2005, 11:12 PM
trentmccleary

Will Locke make the show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
Sure, why don't we open up the scope of the thread a little more.

Will Corey Locke make the show?
Or who has a better chance to make the NHL? Locke or Wellwood?

Old
01-24-2005, 10:26 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
Mike Milbury....is that you?

Old
01-24-2005, 10:35 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Sure, why don't we open up the scope of the thread a little more.

Will Corey Locke make the show?
Or who has a better chance to make the NHL? Locke or Wellwood?
Wellwood will make the NHL, don't know enough about Locke to say one way or the other.

Old
01-24-2005, 10:39 AM
johnnyboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777

why take a guy who will be extremely lucky to make the nhl in a capacitated role, over a guy who a sure fire nhl'er
who will have an impact & be an integeral part of any team.

Last edited by johnnyboo: 01-24-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old
01-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggyboy
why take a guy who will be extremely lucky to make the nhl in a capacitated role, over a guy who a sure fire nhl'er
who will have an impact & be an integeral part of any team.
Is that what you saw in your crystal ball?

And what the hell is a "capicitated role"?

Old
01-24-2005, 11:09 AM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Well Higgins may be too small also to make an inpact since he is only one inch bigger.....what a joke. Size is only an issue if you let it be an issue.
That may be true but Higgins is a great skater, he could skate circles around Wellwood, it's on thing to be small and fast but when your small and slow you've got another big hurdle when you hit the big leagues, not saying he won't make it he has the skill kinda in the same postion as Locke they could do it but there size and speed will work against them.

Old
01-24-2005, 11:15 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
That may be true but Higgins is a great skater, he could skate circles around Wellwood, it's on thing to be small and fast but when your small and slow you've got another big hurdle when you hit the big leagues, not saying he won't make it he has the skill kinda in the same postion as Locke they could do it but there size and speed will work against them.
I can't figure out why if Higgins is a much better NHL prospect then why isn't he outplaying Wellwood in the AHL?

Old
01-24-2005, 11:23 AM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
I can't figure out why if Higgins is a much better NHL prospect then why isn't he outplaying Wellwood in the AHL?
Stats isn't everything but if your gonna go by stats Corey Locke is currently outplaying Higgins right now in Hamilton but I don't think any one thinks he's a better prospect then Higgins. Jarvis is a defence first minded coach and he's been trying to teach the team defence first system and until recently they've been concentrating on that and weren't putting the puck in the net, but i'll admit things havn't been as well as we would have thought for higgins offencivly but I think things will start to heat up for the whole team here in the 2nd half.

Old
01-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Fozz

I can see Wellwood getting some success on the PP in the NHL but I think his ice time 5 on 5 will be very limited. That will make him a decent player but not at all an impact player. IMO, the very best this guy can hope to achieve carreer wise is comparable to Yanic Perreault. Not bad but far from being an impact player.

Closed Thread