HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Will Wellwood Make The Show??

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2005, 12:42 PM
johnnyboo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Is that what you saw in your crystal ball?

And what the hell is a "capicitated role"?
Hey it's just my opinion, no need to get hasty.

Old
01-24-2005, 01:11 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
I can't figure out why if Higgins is a much better NHL prospect then why isn't he outplaying Wellwood in the AHL?
Higgins will be an NHL 2nd line C/LW or an NHL 3rd line C/LW.
Wellwood will be an NHL 2nd line C or AHL 1st line C.

Old
01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habdul
Mike Milbury....is that you?
I think i've seen higgins twice? And wellwood once. I was fairly impressed with wellwood and i thought higgins blew each time i saw him. Its probably just my boston bruins bias against habs prospects...

Old
01-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I know that you Leaf fans love Wellwood, but IMO he's being way overrated here.

He's a decent prospect... every team in the NHL has decent prospects though... he's still a guy that isn't a sure bet to make the NHL, and more so a long shot than anything, given the circumstances around him (his size, skating, need to make it as a top 6 or bust, etc)....

The Leafs prospects overall get overrated here by Leaf fans IMO... while I know that HF rankings are subjective, still the Leafs are ranked 29 out of 30 teams!! Wellwood is the 3rd best prospect on a team which doesn't have a lot of depth in terms of prospects.
Wellwood might make the NHL... he might make it as a Leaf, but both of these are still uncertain, and IMO a long shot... not to say long shots don't make it, but it won't be easy for Wellwood.

Outside of Toronto (and St. John's), his worth likely isn't much at all... we've seen many prospects with excellent stickhandling abilities, and good offensive skills not pan out - Druken is a perfect example of this... as is Josh Holden - both prospects who have gone through the canucks and leafs systems.

Druken had the top 6 game, and even put up points and created lots of offensive opportunities while in the *NHL*... but he was still missing a lot of other things that eventually kept him out of the NHL - one being his lack of defensive awareness, as well as his skating ability (while not a bad skater, he didn't have above average ability to make up for the lack of his defensive game).... like Wellwood, he was also a prospect that needed to crack the top 6, or bust... he wouldn't help a team on the bottom 2 lines. Eventually time ran out on him in Vancouver, as the team couldn't commit to giving him a top 6 spot under waiver protection, and he was moved, then claimed off waivers by the next team he failed under.

I guess only time will tell, but I think most of the hockey world outside of Leaf fans here, think his making the NHL is still very much in the air, and it would be considered a big suprise if he made it - at least as a Leaf - then if he didn't.
Wellwood isnt our 3rd best prospect IMO. the 29th ranking is absurd, everyone knows it. Ian White, Robbie Earl, Dmitri Vorobiev come before Wellwood in my eyes and all of them are good prospects with a good chance in the high leven, NHL!
Wellwood's skating is not that bad. I only agree with the part of him bulking up and getting strong. Other than that he is alright!

Old
01-25-2005, 11:10 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
100% agree. Can someone please tell me which advantage do you get out of one inch ?
think of a right angle triangle the longest side is the side opposite the right angle. a one inch change in height can mean an extra 3 to4 inches in reach which in a game of inches like hockey can make a huge difference.

Old
01-26-2005, 04:28 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Well Higgins may be too small also to make an inpact since he is only one inch bigger.....what a joke. Size is only an issue if you let it be an issue.
It only took 8 posts for someone to mention Higgins.

Old
01-26-2005, 07:17 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
It only took 8 posts for someone to mention Higgins.
Whaaaaaa....I was defending Wellwood. Wellwoods size won't hold him back unless he lets it hold him back. I probably should have used Vermette instead since it was a Sens fan that made the comment about size.

Old
01-26-2005, 11:05 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
Its probably just my boston bruins bias against habs prospects...
Nice to see straight-up honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
I think i've seen higgins twice? And wellwood once. I was fairly impressed with wellwood and i thought higgins blew each time i saw him.
Not much to go on here. The basic point I was making was that Higgins is considered at this point as the better prospect...by a fairly wide margin.

Every GM in the league ('cept for maybe our old pal, Milbury) would take Higgins over Wellwood in half a heartbeat. Does this mean that Wellwood may not ever have a better NHL career than Higgins? Certainly not. Anything can happen and any one player can beat all odds and become a good/great NHL'er...we've seen it countless times.

Old
01-26-2005, 11:28 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac
Whaaaaaa....I was defending Wellwood. Wellwoods size won't hold him back unless he lets it hold him back. I probably should have used Vermette instead since it was a Sens fan that made the comment about size.
hockeydb has Wellwood and Vermette ranked an inch apart, but tsn has them listed as 3 inches apart.
Actually scratch all that, the official team sites have them listed 3 inches apart. (6'1 vs. 5'10)

Either way though, I probably would have argued that Vermette's speed would negate any lack of size which you think he has.

Both Perreault and Savard have played a lot of NHL games despite being small and slow.

Closed Thread