HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Al Strachan doing his best Larry Brooks imitation

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2004, 10:52 AM
DontTouchMyDonskoi
4everFerkland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
I'm not an Oilers fan, though I like the team.

Oilers are not a big market team, if only big market teams should survive we would have a 10 team league. Is that what you want?
and the other 20 markets will shrivel up ? wont they have enough support and players available to still form a professional league ?

clearly this is not a 10 team market.

dr

Old
12-07-2004, 11:03 AM
GabbyDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Oilers have lost lots of money in the last 5 years and I very much doubt that Sens made 20 millions in profits in 2003, Bryden would have never sold the team if he had gotten that much money.
Can you show any evidence that the Oilers have lost lots of money in the last five years? Newspaper reports in Edmonton this past weekend said the team made $ 8.7 million in profits in the past six years, and the valuation of the team has gone from $ 68 million in 1998 to $ 104 million in 2004, with a lower and lower debt load every year....where is there"lots of money" being lost?

Rod Bryden never had the wherewithall to be an NHL owner in the first place. He gained control of the Senators and Corel Center with the help of the Ogden Corporation (Covanta) on the junkiest of junk bonds basis. You can't "own" anything unless you put capital into it, and Rod Bryden never could find enough of other people's money to capitalize the Senators and Corel Center properly. He recently had to ask that $ 58 million of his personal debts be forfeited.

Old
12-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Pepper

I replied to that Oilers financial situation in another thread.

Closed Thread