HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are there no statues at MSG?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2012, 10:55 PM
  #1
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,547
vCash: 2960
Why are there no statues at MSG?

On NHL Network, they showed the unveiling of statues outside the United Center of Hull and Mikita. How come MSG doesn't have any statues of some Ranger and Knick (**** the Knicks) greats?

__________________
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:05 PM
  #2
iamaranger
Registered User
 
iamaranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: long island
Country: United States
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
dont think there is enough room really

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:06 PM
  #3
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
On NHL Network, they showed the unveiling of statues outside the United Center of Hull and Mikita. How come MSG doesn't have any statues of some Ranger and Knick (**** the Knicks) greats?
No room and no historical precedent. This is really the only statue I ever associated with the Garden:

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:39 PM
  #4
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,696
vCash: 50
We don't believe in idolatry like those other bums.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:54 PM
  #5
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,447
vCash: 500
I'd love some. There are some spots in front of the main lobby. There's a statue of someone right behind the ATM's, matter of fact.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:23 AM
  #6
mug25
Registered User
 
mug25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
I cant imagine WHO the statue would be of...

Messier? Leetch? Richter? Graves? The old timers that almost no one under the age of 100 actually remember? (I was sadly introduced to Hockey in 1994, I missed the rise of the Messier era, only saw the height of it).

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:55 AM
  #7
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,547
vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
I cant imagine WHO the statue would be of...

Messier? Leetch? Richter? Graves? The old timers that almost no one under the age of 100 actually remember? (I was sadly introduced to Hockey in 1994, I missed the rise of the Messier era, only saw the height of it).
How about Giacomin? Howell or Bathgate? 1994 wasn't the only season in our history. And to the poster who said there's not enough room: Seriously? There's no room in that entire hallway thing entering the Garden above Penn Station?

After the transformation, the Garden should look like this:



There's plenty of room there to put them. Hopefully this will be a surprise when they officially open up the completely transformed Garden.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:57 AM
  #8
mug25
Registered User
 
mug25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
How about Giacomin? Howell or Bathgate? 1994 wasn't the only season in our history. And to the poster who said there's not enough room: Seriously? There's no room in that entire hallway thing entering the Garden above Penn Station?

After the transformation, the Garden should look like this:



There's plenty of room there to put them. Hopefully this will be a surprise when they officially open up the completely transformed Garden.

Did you read my entire post? Those of us who aren under 30 weren't even alive for the older players. There was no disrespect meant to those players but I can bet that a very large number of Rangers fans weren't even fans until 1994. I know I'm one of them. The Rangers winning the Cup sparked my interest in Hockey. Until then, I was hung up on how bad the Yankees were and spent my days wishing Don Mattingly didn't get injured LOL.

Anyway, I'm straying from my point. You cant put a statue for every great player — unless you do something like Monument Park in Yankee Stadium. MSG would need to do something the Knicks too, not just the Rangers.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:04 AM
  #9
theJUMPER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Rangers old, old-school history should not be remembered in statue form. There was 6 teams, c'mon people. I don't even think there should be a statue for Messier, to be honest with you. Statue rep involves winning more than once and for the most part, being homegrown, or at least majority of one's career played with a team.

Knicks history is even more dull than the Rangers.

Maybe if Henrik rattles off a dynasty there will be one.


Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 04-10-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: qdp
theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:06 AM
  #10
mug25
Registered User
 
mug25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJUMPER View Post
Rangers old, old-school history should not be remembered in statue form. There was 6 teams, c'mon people. I don't even think there should be a statue for Messier, to be honest with you. Statue rep involves winning more than once and for the most part, being homegrown, or at least majority of one's career played with a team.

Knicks history is even more dull than the Rangers.

Maybe if Henrik rattles off a dynasty there will be one.




LOL!
Gotta agree. If anything, something similar to Yankee Stadium's Monument park...but then again, I feel like Retired numbers in the rafters are more than enough.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:12 AM
  #11
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,547
vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
Did you read my entire post? Those of us who aren under 30 weren't even alive for the older players. There was no disrespect meant to those players but I can bet that a very large number of Rangers fans weren't even fans until 1994. I know I'm one of them. The Rangers winning the Cup sparked my interest in Hockey. Until then, I was hung up on how bad the Yankees were and spent my days wishing Don Mattingly didn't get injured LOL.

Anyway, I'm straying from my point. You cant put a statue for every great player — unless you do something like Monument Park in Yankee Stadium. MSG would need to do something the Knicks too, not just the Rangers.
Who cares if you actually watched them? Just because most of us (including me) didn't see them play, doesn't mean they don't deserve to be honored with a statue. How many Chicago fans watched Hull and Mikita play for them? How many Montreal fans watched Morenz play? I doubt there's many Morenz fans alive.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:05 AM
  #12
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
On NHL Network, they showed the unveiling of statues outside the United Center of Hull and Mikita. How come MSG doesn't have any statues of some Ranger and Knick (**** the Knicks) greats?
You mean RANGER greats..who cares about basketball!!!

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:10 AM
  #13
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,547
vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQueensNY88 View Post
You mean RANGER greats..who cares about basketball!!!
Oh, I don't give two ***** about basketball. I'm just surprised MSG doesn't have any statues of anyone, especially Knick players, since it seems they only care about basketball.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:10 AM
  #14
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,345
vCash: 500
Bill cook, bun cook, frank Boucher.....

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:49 AM
  #15
blue2noise
Registered User
 
blue2noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,486
vCash: 500
John Mitchell is going to look great in bronze

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:53 AM
  #16
Dangleberry
Registered User
 
Dangleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
John Mitchell is going to look great in bronze
I literally when I read that.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:57 AM
  #17
mug25
Registered User
 
mug25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
This thread answer it's own question. Too much debate over who should get a statue. They cant do one for everyone.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:58 AM
  #18
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,547
vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
This thread answer it's own question. Too much debate over who should get a statue. They cant do one for everyone.
Then how come every team doesn't have that problem? Wouldn't that same "problem" apply to retiring numbers too?

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:18 AM
  #19
Cliffy1814
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJUMPER View Post
Rangers old, old-school history should not be remembered in statue form. There was 6 teams, c'mon people. I don't even think there should be a statue for Messier, to be honest with you. Statue rep involves winning more than once and for the most part, being homegrown, or at least majority of one's career played with a team.

Knicks history is even more dull than the Rangers.

Maybe if Henrik rattles off a dynasty there will be one.
Walt Frazier would be the only one who meets your criteria.
Maybe willis Reed, but he actually wasn't as great a player as people make him out to be.
I'd be on board for Clyde and Mess side by side in the lobby.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:22 AM
  #20
mug25
Registered User
 
mug25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
WAIT.

What about all of the great Boxers that have fought at MSG?! Surely Rocky Marciano should get a statue.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:37 AM
  #21
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
It's simple because Rocky is in Philly.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:43 AM
  #22
mug25
Registered User
 
mug25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
It's simple because Rocky is in Philly.
touché

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:46 AM
  #23
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
The Rangers need that one all-time great that transcends generations. That one guy that everyone knows about no matter what year they were born. Bathgate and Howell? Yeah they were great players and HOFers but they aren't household names for generations to come like Stan Mikita or Bobby Hull.

I'd say the closest they have to that are Brian Leetch or Rod Gilbert. And I'm not including Messier here because he didn't play the majority of his career in NY. Same goes for Graves. And Richter... not sure if he is statue-worthy. Just my opinion.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:48 AM
  #24
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
touché
LOL, their statue has weirder eyes though.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:52 AM
  #25
JayQueensNY88*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Oh, I don't give two ***** about basketball. I'm just surprised MSG doesn't have any statues of anyone, especially Knick players, since it seems they only care about basketball.
i know what ya mean,I just had to post I hate basketball.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.