HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most important player this post season?

Old
04-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Ovechtrick89

vCash: 405
Most important player this post season?

Hi all, new user but a long time fan of this board love reading through all the threads. The only reason i haven't joined before is because i'm the kind of guy that will put stuff off that needs to be done just to get immersed into a caps debate online for hours instead and F5'ing non stop.

However i couldn't hold out any longer and i think i've joined at the right time because we're not the best regular season team in the NHL for once and hence we don't get the haters/bandwagoners all over the board and instead only get the real caps folks out there.

So i guess to lose my hfboards virginity i want to get your opinion on who's the most important player for us this post season.

For me it's Nicky because we all know who Ovi is and what he'll bring and that's nothing but his A game, but in the past years while great 8 was carrying the weight of the team in crunch time nobody else was sharing the load and really that's why we have this stinking reputation of 'playoff chokers' hanging over our heads.

That's why i feel if Nicky shows up here on out (and to an extent Sasha also) then i'm not sure how many teams could keep up with us offensively no matter who we have in net.

Ovechtrick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Carlzner

vCash: 500
Ovechkin

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:37 PM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

Holtby, Braden.

Goaltender is the most important player for just about every playoff team in NHL history.

No goaltending=no chance.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Ovechtrick89

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Holtby, Braden.

Goaltender is the most important player for just about every playoff team in NHL history.

No goaltending=no chance.
Maybe so but we still need everyone apart from Ovi not to stink up the joint in the playoffs and outside of him Backstrom is the best player so that's why i say it's imperative he helps out Ovi when he's being double teamed by some of the best out there.

Old
04-11-2012, 05:41 PM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

Backstrom can average 1.5 PPG in the playoffs and it won't matter if they are giving up 4 a game.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Ovechtrick89

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Backstrom can average 1.5 PPG in the playoffs and it won't matter if they are giving up 4 a game.
Holtby was my second most important player after Nicky so it's not like i don't think he's pivotal to our potential success, i just feel it could be special if we see Nicky and Ovi on fire because that will alter how many players the other team is willing to throw down the other side of the ice and giving Holtby less to deal with because god knows Wideman isn't the key.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Millhaus

The same guy who is always the most important player on the team when he takes the ice: Ovechkin.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Devil Dancer

Maybe Mike Green. He's a guy who can make a difference in all 3 zones, and if he starts scoring, he can wake up the PP and add much-needed offensive punch. In other words, good D by Green + good O by Green = playoff success.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Ovechtrick89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Maybe Mike Green. He's a guy who can make a difference in all 3 zones, and if he starts scoring, he can wake up the PP and add much-needed offensive punch. In other words, good D by Green + good O by Green = playoff success.
His form since the concussion doesn't lead me to believe he'll be that effective, which is a huge shame.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:34 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

It's definitely Ovechkin. If continues to produce at his ridiculous postseason pace, the way teams play us changes, the team's attitude changes, and things just seem to come together.

It's the captain.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Ovechtrick89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
It's definitely Ovechkin. If continues to produce at his ridiculous postseason pace, the way teams play us changes, the team's attitude changes, and things just seem to come together.

It's the captain.
He can only do so much, others MUST pull their weight. I'm sick of everyone apart from Ovi underperforming in the post season.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechtrick89 View Post
His form since the concussion doesn't lead me to believe he'll be that effective, which is a huge shame.
He looked pretty good at the beginning of the year before the other injuries.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Bure

Holtby.

If we want a chance of winning, we will need strong goaltending.

If he plays poorly we are done, that's it that's all.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Ovechtrick89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
He looked pretty good at the beginning of the year before the other injuries.
I hope he gets back to how he was because we were literally unbeatable when he was playing like he was.

Looks like Nicky is over his concussion though which is good.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:57 PM
ahimsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechtrick89 View Post
Hi all, new user but a long time fan of this board love reading through all the threads. The only reason i haven't joined before is because i'm the kind of guy that will put stuff off that needs to be done just to get immersed into a caps debate online for hours instead and F5'ing non stop.

However i couldn't hold out any longer and i think i've joined at the right time because we're not the best regular season team in the NHL for once and hence we don't get the haters/bandwagoners all over the board and instead only get the real caps folks out there.

So i guess to lose my hfboards virginity i want to get your opinion on who's the most important player for us this post season.

For me it's Nicky because we all know who Ovi is and what he'll bring and that's nothing but his A game, but in the past years while great 8 was carrying the weight of the team in crunch time nobody else was sharing the load and really that's why we have this stinking reputation of 'playoff chokers' hanging over our heads.

That's why i feel if Nicky shows up here on out (and to an extent Sasha also) then i'm not sure how many teams could keep up with us offensively no matter who we have in net.
Welcome.

All five players on the ice at any given time are the most important. Like the 5 fingers of a fist. Each set of 5 must come together as one.

And no passengers.

Not condoning boxing. Just supporting my analogy of working together as team. Five finger fist is a beautiful thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk66n...eature=related

Last edited by ahimsa: 04-12-2012 at 12:09 AM.
ahimsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Ovechtrick89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Welcome.

All five players on the ice at any given time are the most important. Like the 5 fingers of a fist. Each set of 5 must come together as one.

And no passengers.
Thanks man. Easier said than done with the inconsistencies in this caps team shown this season.

Old
04-12-2012, 12:19 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
Hockey's most important player, its always the goalie IMO.

One soft goal early in the game can eliminate all 22 minutes of the best player in the worlds maximum efforts. Ask a bookie, he will tell you.

Now we are somewhat unique in that Ovi seems to fuel our fire. But in playoffs past, he had the fuel yet we lost. Halak himself extinguished said fire. But then you are getting into the hot goalie cold goalie advanced theory, off topic.

Ovi is our most important skater and its not even close. Consolation prize goes to Mike Green. Of 3 years ago.

Dream big said it, it is a team game. A well coordinated attack is tough to overcome, but then our team has largely been constructed to win on great individual plays. Team play is still a work in progress.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:25 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

The answer has to be Holtby. It's very hard to see how we win this series if he doesn't match or outplay Tim Thomas.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:36 AM
BPMrules

In order...

1. The PP. It's been our achilles heel in the playoffs the past few yrs.
2. Holtby. Obviously.
3. Backstrom. The key to #1's success, in addition to 8 and 52.
4. Wideman. He needs to stop blowing it.
5. Hunter. Will he adapt, and be a good playoff coach?

BPMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 05:59 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
I would consider PP's however PP's seem down, we don't draw many penalties, we don't exploit the stupidity of the refs, nor can I recall a single playoff series in which that pivotal call went in our favor.

Yes I am trying my best to prepared to get screwed by that back ref deciding to make a call out of his ass, instead just letting it go and largely letting the players decide the outcome of a series. Or the ref standing next to the play.

On cue someone will post that I want gang tackling on breakaways, but they overlook penalties that stop a scoring chance get called in the playoffs. And maybe overlook our own leading the NHL in career playoff PIMs. I don't want questionable calls made, nor the dumb ass ref falling for Halak grade dives on a Knuble fart.

The ref may be the most important player in decding who wins.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-12-2012 at 06:05 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:10 AM
n3ss

Its about time Joel Ward started earning his pay.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 06:55 AM
txpd

ovechkin. first goals. closing goals. and a huge physical presence that breaks down primary opponents.

yes, the goaltending is important. do we know whether the caps have to live and die with holtby yet? if neuvirth is ready to play next week and give the team a shot in the arm if holtby stumbs, holtby is no longer the most important player. further, if ovechkin out plays thomas, does holtby have to out play thomas. if not, then isnt ovechkin the most important player?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 07:55 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
The Caps will go as far as Nicky takes them this year.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 09:18 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

It's a team. They all have to do their jobs and back each other.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:42 AM
bonzilla

1. 'oltby
2. Any center out with Shultz/Wideman

..also some luv for Aucoin. As to cycling, the guy's greatest offensive ability is:

1. his skill at keeping the cycle going by using his stick and quickness to pick or pick-pocket the puck off the boards without getting squashed like a bug or being pinned in the corner only to get outmuscled..He kind of sits back like a crow sniping roadkill off of a busy street

2. Then once he gains possession - his ability and vision to quickly distribute the puck, creating scoring chances for both forwards and D.

For all the Knuble lovers, MK is just not an effective cycler anymore. He can't get to the dump-ins, he stalls the puck in the corner and just doesn’t have the strength any longer to "bull" his way around below the goal line to keep the cycle going ..Other than attempting to stuff the puck (which everyone in the building knows he's going to attempt 5 seconds before it happens) 2012 Knuble rarely creates the time or space for himself to feed the slot, pass to the D, or simply keep the cycle alive.

I have a suspicion that there is a good chance we see some success with secondary scoring from Aucoin-Perreault-Ward or Aucoin-Perreault-double shifted OV.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote