HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoffs Thread| Marlies sweep Rochester 3-0!

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 500
Im glad Percy is getting a chance to prove himself in these playoffs, it was looking like this would really be a lost year for him. It should be good experience for when he joins them full time the year after next.

The prospect I'm most excited to see in a Blue and White sweater though is Biggs, this kid could be everything we're missing in the physicality, and intensity departments. Hopefully he has a big year in the NCAA next year, and joins the marlies the year after.

Last edited by Tony Clifton Leaf: 04-20-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old
04-20-2012, 08:48 AM
dubplatepressure

If I was to base an opinion on last nights game alone I would totally understand why other players got the call up over Kadri this year. Guy is slick with the puck, but bad turnovers from over handling still plague this guy. Not really impressive last night and certainly was eclipsed by guys like damigo, colborne, ashton and frattin.

Can't wait to see more of that Ashton-colborne-frattin combo.

Holzer is a rock - pencil him in a our 6th/7th next year.

Old
04-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
In my opinion, D'Amigo, Ross, and Biggs will all be fixtures in the Leafs lineup within 5 years.

Old
04-20-2012, 09:08 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Swift View Post
In my opinion, D'Amigo, Ross, and Biggs will all be fixtures in the Leafs lineup within 5 years.
Here's to hoping that Frattin, Ashton, Colborne, Kadri can join them up front.

Old
04-20-2012, 09:09 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
If I was to base an opinion on last nights game alone I would totally understand why other players got the call up over Kadri this year. Guy is slick with the puck, but bad turnovers from over handling still plague this guy. Not really impressive last night and certainly was eclipsed by guys like damigo, colborne, ashton and frattin.

What? Kadri drew like 2 or 3 penalties and I thought he was pretty damn good through most of the game, and its not like Colborne didnt make an oops on that third goal...

Old
04-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

It is funny we have a lot of players who are playing in the playoffs right now who could make an impact.

Forwards

- Colborne
- Kadri
- Ashton
- Frattin
- D'amigo

Defence

- Percy
- Gardiner
- Holzer

I mean we could have a similar situation to what the Sens had last year when they won the Calder Cup.

Old
04-20-2012, 09:35 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
It is funny we have a lot of players who are playing in the playoffs right now who could make an impact.

Forwards

- Colborne
- Kadri
- Ashton
- Frattin
- D'amigo

Defence

- Percy
- Gardiner
- Holzer

I mean we could have a similar situation to what the Sens had last year when they won the Calder Cup.
Also, Blacker.

But yes, wouldnt it be nice to have the "ottawa" model happen here.

However I dont see us with the right mind set for it to happen, and I dont see the roster spots.

OTT, make no mistakes about this, went into this season assuming it would be likely another poor finish and a development year where they could add another good piece.

They had no idea Karlsson, Spezza, Alfy, Michalek, Gonchar, Anderson would respond the way they did.

How many guys graduated? Smith, Greening, Cowen, Daugavins?

Old
04-20-2012, 09:57 AM
gmjohnny

Percy in on D, Mueller out on forward

Stuart Percy was put in on D after a strong finish to the season in Abbottsford and replaced Josh Engel. I havent seen last nights game yet (PVR'd) so does anyone have an update on how he played. This should be a great experience for him but I also think he has another year left in the OHL (3 years in the league and just turned 19) so we wont see him with the Marlies even next year.

Not sure what happened to Marcel Mueller? Healthy scratch? He was on a roll scoring 9 pts in the last 8 and one of their more consistent forwards with a good 50pt season and a strong +-. Can anyone update me if he is injured or did they go with toughness with Jay Rosehill

Old
04-20-2012, 10:01 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Also, Blacker.

However I dont see us with the right mind set for it to happen, and I dont see the roster spots.

OTT, make no mistakes about this, went into this season assuming it would be likely another poor finish and a development year where they could add another good piece.

They had no idea Karlsson, Spezza, Alfy, Michalek, Gonchar, Anderson would respond the way they did.

Unfortunately the leafs still need a top C and #1 G in order for a ottawa type situation to happen. I do feel that this team is only a goalie away from competing.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post

Agreed, another good looking D man, as I said a few times here, when I saw him at practice, he's a monster. He's taller than his listed 6"3 height, when he was standing beside Komi, Komi looked like a shrimp.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:07 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Agreed, another good looking D man, as I said a few times here, when I saw him at practice, he's a monster. He's taller than his listed 6"3 height, when he was standing beside Komi, Komi looked like a shrimp.
Schenn needs to be built more like Holzer.

Holzer is not quite as thick in his upper body, but thats good because his mobility is pretty great for a defensive dman.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:14 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjohnny View Post
Stuart Percy was put in on D after a strong finish to the season in Abbottsford and replaced Josh Engel. I havent seen last nights game yet (PVR'd) so does anyone have an update on how he played. This should be a great experience for him but I also think he has another year left in the OHL (3 years in the league and just turned 19) so we wont see him with the Marlies even next year.

Not sure what happened to Marcel Mueller? Healthy scratch? He was on a roll scoring 9 pts in the last 8 and one of their more consistent forwards with a good 50pt season and a strong +-. Can anyone update me if he is injured or did they go with toughness with Jay Rosehill
Yes, Mueller was sat as a healthy scratch. I imagine they went with Rosehill to set a bit of a 'tone' in game 1.

04-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Also, Blacker.

I thought their last season was abnormal for them. They were expecting to make the playoffs but the coach completely destroyed the team.

For the Leafs to do the same, they need good goalie above everything. Our offense is not exactly a problem.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:29 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Well then enjoy, you're in the minority though. I don't understand how you can watch Kadri, Gardiner, Scrivens, and others on the Leafs but they play on the Marlies and you want nothing to do with them..strange. Guaranteed you'll be back cheering them on and being a fanboy next year when they're on the Leafs, just remember you watched Boston-Washington over our own prospects playing in meaningful games.
With all due respect this is where we differ. Meaningful games? Not to diminish their accomplishments but these aren't meaningful games. The only meaningful games going on are the NHL Playoffs. Thats where we have a disconnection. I actually support the Marlies somewhat. I go to a few games a year because I can afford them..all the seating is great...it is disappointing to see the lack of support they get actually. Every game I have attended has looked like a game in New Jersey or Phoenix where the stadium looks barren with fans scattered around. I'd go watch a playoff game live..no problem because its a different experience. Do I really care who wins the Calder Cup? I'll watch Stanley Cup Playoffs over any other hockey with maybe....maybe the exception of the Olympics....but only if Canada is involved..otherwise not even then. Not just for the quality of hockey but how about the quality of the broadcast itself? Didn't watch a second of it but who did the play-by-play? How many camera angles did they have and who was the color anyalyst? Did it even look remotely like a professional broadcast or did it look like watching the Ryerson Rams play against U of T in University hockey?

You guys would actually watch a Marlies game on TV over Philadelphia-Pittsburgh? I understand Washington-Boston but I don't agree. It has been the less exciting series along with FLA-NJ. I think the difference is that I am a hockey fan first and foremost. My favorite hockey team are the Leafs. Always have been and always will be. But my favorite hockey is NHL Playoffs..whether they are in or not.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:38 AM
mooseOAK*

Yet the CHL playoffs and the Memorial Cup and the Calder Cup manage to exist, thanks to people who are lower classes of hockey fans.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
With all due respect this is where we differ. Meaningful games? Not to diminish their accomplishments but these aren't meaningful games. The only meaningful games going on are the NHL Playoffs.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

"Playoff Hockey in TORONTO!"

I just gotta laughh at that. Go Marlies! They imrpessed me. especially Amigo.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

And people need to understand that this is the AHL, not the NHL. Big difference in competition.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
With all due respect this is where we differ. Meaningful games? Not to diminish their accomplishments but these aren't meaningful games. The only meaningful games going on are the NHL Playoffs. Thats where we have a disconnection. I actually support the Marlies somewhat. I go to a few games a year because I can afford them..all the seating is great...it is disappointing to see the lack of support they get actually. Every game I have attended has looked like a game in New Jersey or Phoenix where the stadium looks barren with fans scattered around. I'd go watch a playoff game live..no problem because its a different experience. Do I really care who wins the Calder Cup? I'll watch Stanley Cup Playoffs over any other hockey with maybe....maybe the exception of the Olympics....but only if Canada is involved..otherwise not even then. Not just for the quality of hockey but how about the quality of the broadcast itself? Didn't watch a second of it but who did the play-by-play? How many camera angles did they have and who was the color anyalyst? Did it even look remotely like a professional broadcast or did it look like watching the Ryerson Rams play against U of T in University hockey?

You guys would actually watch a Marlies game on TV over Philadelphia-Pittsburgh? I understand Washington-Boston but I don't agree. It has been the less exciting series along with FLA-NJ. I think the difference is that I am a hockey fan first and foremost. My favorite hockey team are the Leafs. Always have been and always will be. But my favorite hockey is NHL Playoffs..whether they are in or not.
Hockey fan??? Sounds like your more a professional broadcast fan or a camera angle/colour analyst fan???

These games are incredibly meaningful. Maybe they don't have the production value of the NHL playoff games but they do have value. These guys are the future adn are playing like crazy for a shot at the big club! These kids pour everything they have into these games and you question they impact of them. These playoffs are not too far off in terms of meaning than if the Leafs have had made it this year. I would say both the Leafs and Marlies house close to equal parts of the team that is going to start making winning a reality. These games though today may lead to a Calder Cup, but more importantly they'll lead to playoff success for the big club in the future.

Last night I watched D'Amigo, Holzer, Percy, Gardiner, Ashton, Kadri, Colborne, Frattin............. play their hardest and put it all on the line. These games were 100% meaningful to them which makes them 100% meaningful to me. If their willing to put their heart and soul into winning the Calder Cup then I'll return the favour by doing everythig I can to support them. The grand prize today may not be all that special to you but it's a damn big stepping stone to the grand prize later and to me that's pretty damn meaningful!

Old
04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
damigo has really impressed me the last couple of months

Old
04-20-2012, 12:22 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjohnny View Post

my father and I were absolutely raving about him on the drive home last night. He has nhl smarts and is always in great position. He makes excellent reads with the puck and complimented gardiner better than any of the leaf defenders have. Very active stick and he wasnt the most physical guy but he used his angles well to play his one on ones.... didnt look out of place with the little power play time he had.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
And people need to understand that this is the AHL, not the NHL. Big difference in competition.
I think people understand this isn't the NHL.

That being said, AHL playoffs is a higher level due to the injection of NHL talent into the rosters and the increased intensity. There is value there for developing our prospects and they will benefit with NHL-like competition (excluding NHL playoffs which are at a whole other level).

I really like the level of excitement in Toronto for the Marlies this year. They deserve it and we're about to finally see the first crop of prospects graduate from the AHL under the Burke era.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:24 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

super happy to see Colborne being an effective presence in the game last night. Deschamp and D'Amigo were a solid pairing and really stepped up their game. Frasor left me wondering why he isn't in the NHL.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
And you need to stop being so oblivious to the reason why these are important games for our young guys.

This goes to you and others who are just going to come in here and downplay the Marlies. GTFO and enjoy your NHL playoff hockey, real Leaf fans care about how our prospects are doing. It's ok, go watch your meaningless playoff hockey that has nothing to do with Toronto, just leave your terrible opinions and remarks out of this thread. I really don't see the purpose of these sort of comments. Of course it's not NHL competition. DUH!! how anal can you get.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:01 PM
samwitch

Might as well just have sent Gardiner, Frattin and the boys home... I mean, these games are completly meaningless. Not like they are going to gain any positives from an experience like the AHL playoffs... It's the AHL OMG broadcast quality blah blah blah what a joke.

Also, didn't know that being a "hockey fan" meant that you only watch the NHL? Makes sense.

Closed Thread