HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoffs Thread| Marlies sweep Rochester 3-0!

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Leafsman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
And you need to stop being so oblivious to the reason why these are important games for our young guys.

This goes to you and others who are just going to come in here and downplay the Marlies. GTFO and enjoy your NHL playoff hockey, real Leaf fans care about how our prospects are doing. It's ok, go watch your meaningless playoff hockey that has nothing to do with Toronto, just leave your terrible opinions and remarks out of this thread. I really don't see the purpose of these sort of comments. Of course it's not NHL competition. DUH!! how anal can you get.
Seconded!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-20-2012, 01:11 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
And you need to stop being so oblivious to the reason why these are important games for our young guys.

This goes to you and others who are just going to come in here and downplay the Marlies. GTFO and enjoy your NHL playoff hockey, real Leaf fans care about how our prospects are doing. It's ok, go watch your meaningless playoff hockey that has nothing to do with Toronto, just leave your terrible opinions and remarks out of this thread. I really don't see the purpose of these sort of comments. Of course it's not NHL competition. DUH!! how anal can you get.
Actually I agree with you.....it started by my astonishment that hockey fans would watch AHL over NHL regardless of who is playing, which is why I asked the original question. I merely responded to the poster who responded....HELL YEAH, or something to that effect. I remain astonished. But you are right. I'm out of this thread. I hope the Marlies do well but unless they are playing when the big boys aren't I won't be watching. To each his own eh?

Old
04-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Sergei Berezin

Frattin seems so much faster in the AHL. Everytime I see him with the Marlies, it's like he's our top prospect. If I knew nothing about the Leafs or their system, and I went to the games, the first guy I'd pick out would be Frattin.

I hope he doesn't become a Keith Aucoin who rips up the AHL but can't produce in the NHL.

Also, nice pass by Colborne on the Frattin goal, wow! Hopefully he gets some confidence rolling from that.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:13 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 7 - 4

It's great to see them win and put on a show for the hundreds in attendance.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:18 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Yet the CHL playoffs and the Memorial Cup and the Calder Cup manage to exist, thanks to people who are lower classes of hockey fans.
Nobody ever called CHL/Memorial Cup/Spengler Cup/WHC/AHL fans "lower class"....I certainly didn't. Nobody who is a true hockey fan can argue that the NHL is second to none. Certainly not the CHL/AHL/Spengler Cup. I am a hockey fan and I simply stated that I wouldn't miss watching the NHL playoffs for anything. Thats all. Maybe some others are Leaf fans and not hockey fans. I know a guy who only watches college hoops because he loathes the NBA. Whatever. This years playoffs have been exceptional. Exciting. Riveting. Rough. Its like watching an ongoing soap-opera. Thats why I don't believe people are tuning out for AHL. Thats all.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Actually I agree with you.....it started by my astonishment that hockey fans would watch AHL over NHL regardless of who is playing, which is why I asked the original question. I merely responded to the poster who responded....HELL YEAH, or something to that effect. I remain astonished. But you are right. I'm out of this thread. I hope the Marlies do well but unless they are playing when the big boys aren't I won't be watching. To each his own eh?
Ever hear of watching both? I mean in this day and age it is not hard to sit down and PVR one game and have the other going? Also most people are fans of their team and like to see that team play. So if they are given a chance to watch those players don't you think they will? (I.E Gardiner, Frattin, etc.) I watch the NHL playoffs don't get me wrong but in the end unlike you I like to watch hockey not the NHL. So while the NHL playoffs may be going if the Marlies or whoever is also playing I may just watch that.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:26 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
It's great to see them win and put on a show for the hundreds in attendance.
Actually it was 6244 which is more than any other AHL playoff game on the same night, and average for that league in general.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Nobody ever called CHL/Memorial Cup/Spengler Cup/WHC/AHL fans "lower class"....I certainly didn't. Nobody who is a true hockey fan can argue that the NHL is second to none. Certainly not the CHL/AHL/Spengler Cup. I am a hockey fan and I simply stated that I wouldn't miss watching the NHL playoffs for anything. Thats all. Maybe some others are Leaf fans and not hockey fans. I know a guy who only watches college hoops because he loathes the NBA. Whatever. This years playoffs have been exceptional. Exciting. Riveting. Rough. Its like watching an ongoing soap-opera. Thats why I don't believe people are tuning out for AHL. Thats all.
Well when you put it that way...

Listen, when you come into a rare thread, where there are happy, even gleeful, Leaf fans, and you post an asinine comment about how you won't watch the Marlies because "the NHL is better"... you can't expect any other response.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:29 PM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
super happy to see Colborne being an effective presence in the game last night. Deschamp and D'Amigo were a solid pairing and really stepped up their game. Frasor left me wondering why he isn't in the NHL.
I second this on Mark Fraser. Took a bad penalty, but more than made up for it. I guess he's a little old now, but him and Holzer look amazing together.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

hope Colborne has a dominating post season to forget about the lacklustre regular season.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:35 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Ever hear of watching both? I mean in this day and age it is not hard to sit down and PVR one game and have the other going? Also most people are fans of their team and like to see that team play. So if they are given a chance to watch those players don't you think they will? (I.E Gardiner, Frattin, etc.) I watch the NHL playoffs don't get me wrong but in the end unlike you I like to watch hockey not the NHL. So while the NHL playoffs may be going if the Marlies or whoever is also playing I may just watch that.

Dude...with a wife and two kids...I'm lucky if I get to watch one or the other...nevermind both. But whatever. To each their own. But honestly if the Pens can manage to come back to tie the series and there is a game 7....would fans on this board actually tune into the Marlies if they are on at the same time? I find that unbelievable.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:39 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 7 - 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Actually it was 6244 which is more than any other AHL playoff game on the same night, and average for that league in general.
That's great, what do they normally draw?

Old
04-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
i was actually sitting right behind the rochester bench... he just whined and cried the whole game, after the marlies scored on the penalty he took he came off and started yelling at the assistant coach that it wasnt a penalty. guys and absolute goof and a waste of a hockey player
Hahah wow that does sound painful to be coaching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Major significance indeed, I was impressed. Impressed so much that I am shifting my draft strategy on trading down, since Dumba/Trouba/Rielly are in that 5 range. Stuart's revelation has eased concerns on Defence. Moving down might be the best way to go, parlay the Galchenyuk or Dumba card into talent and positional need. Hopefully in 2 years the prospects we draft this year will join Biggs and Percy on the big team, watching the Marlies last night it is not hard to get excited. This will be our team in a few years.
Even if he played well, doesn't meant we stop picking up defensemen, the thing about this sport is there will always be better choices, and we will have to move on with it. Creating depth is important as we can use that to barter for other pieces and fix weaknesses. If I have the 5th overall we pick Galchenyuk, Forseberg or Grigo. If they are gone, go for Murray or Dumba(I don't like him persay but I can't deny his talent).
Quote:
It is funny we have a lot of players who are playing in the playoffs right now who could make an impact.

Forwards

- Colborne
- Kadri
- Ashton
- Frattin
- D'amigo

Defence

- Percy
- Gardiner
- Holzer

I mean we could have a similar situation to what the Sens had last year when they won the Calder Cup.
Blacker is another one you forgot about.

Unfortunately, there is no true "sens" model, as they just had a crappy year from their players and then underwhelmed from their expectations last year. Not to mention failing even while they had a first line center (spezza) and some good pieces along with Michalek, and an aging Alfredsson. They eventually got a stable goalie in Anderson to cushion Lehner's development and then went out and got another Goalie who can possible handy for them in Bishop.

Even without a first line center the importance of having a good goalie truly shows how it can help a team, when we had consistency in our back end we were good without them, crap. I am not worried about offense as much as I am goaltending really. If we just get that we can make the playoffs.

04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Is Blacker injured?

Old
04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Quote:
Dude...with a wife and two kids...I'm lucky if I get to watch one or the other...nevermind both. But whatever. To each their own. But honestly if the Pens can manage to come back to tie the series and there is a game 7....would fans on this board actually tune into the Marlies if they are on at the same time? I find that unbelievable.
I would flip between the two, but the Marlies game would take precedence. Normally I'm so heartbroken by this time of year that I avoid a lot of the NHL playoffs. This year I had enough time to prepare emotionally to accept the fact the Leafs weren't making the playoffs and I'm watching almost every game.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:48 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

Didn't watch the game, but how did Gardiner do?

Old
04-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
These are the players that are extremely valuable IMO, quietly effective. Do the smart little things that go unnoticed. Thought Deschamps looked every bit the 2nd rd pick Anaheim thought they were getting too! Power fwd like effort, could see him being a 3rd liner on this team one day.
I still see him as a third liner imo, sort of like the next coming of clark macarthur per say? Regarding Deschamps. Colborne I still have high hopes for him man, I really wish he could get things together, he really went down after a torrid start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
hope Colborne has a dominating post season to forget about the lacklustre regular season.
I think everyone wants this, left us dry after a great start. Really hope he turns the page and ups his pace in the playoffs so he can be even better next season.

The line of Ashton-Colborne-Frattin, was really impressive, both of the wingers were hard nosed for the net, while frattin was making things happen, colborne was effective and not letting up(except that one bonehead play yes) and ashton was showing his powerforward work there.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:05 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Couldn't watch the Marlies last night but would have preferred it to pretty well every game except maybe Bruins- Capitals. Plenty of dud games in the NHL playoffs also, believe me. The antics of the Flyers and Penguins are interesting but not sustainable for long if either wants to win the Cup.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Eisenh0rn

Quote:

I actually stood up and applauded your post.

**** Yeah!!!

Gutted I'll have to rely on the highlights.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:15 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 7 - 4

These games are televised?

Old
04-20-2012, 02:17 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Really though. Maybe some people don't like watching what Nathan Mackinnon just did to Patty "Pretty Boy" Roy because the Panthers are playing spring hockey. Maybe some people don't love the annual CIS tournament because it isn't NHL....

Last edited by eyeball11: 04-20-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old
04-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
These games are televised?
Only on RogersTV, and then on LeafsTV later that night.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:23 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Couldn't watch the Marlies last night but would have preferred it to pretty well every game except maybe Bruins- Capitals. Plenty of dud games in the NHL playoffs also, believe me. The antics of the Flyers and Penguins are interesting but not sustainable for long if either wants to win the Cup.
I dunno Moose...Im kind of loving the Pens-Flyers series...it is so not typical of playoff hockey....horrible goaltending, sloppy defense, goonery, tons of goals..and very entertaining. I agree that neither team will go too far if they keep playing in this manner but its still fun to watch (minus the awful cheapshots). I love the rough stuff though. Watching Crosby and Giroux fight? Wow. Thats playoffs man. Probably the two best players in the game right there duking it out. I was thinking the Bruins-Caps is interesting but not all that exciting. LA-VAN has been great hockey. Cant get stoked at all to watch Nashville, Phoenix, NJ-FLA.....STL-SJ has had its moments. OT-NYR fantastic.

There are duds no doubt but as the series wear on the duds diminish in numbers. NHL playoffs to me is the grand master of all sports tournaments. Nothing like it. Nowhere. Ever.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Drew75

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from ... but as an FYI ... I think it was the tone of completely dismissing the Marlies Playoffs - and by extension of that the development of our young prospects - as "meaningless" that has others riled up against you.

With the way the Leaf season ended, this is one of few things for Leaf Fans to really be excited about.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:33 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
I understand where you're coming from ... but as an FYI ... I think it was the tone of completely dismissing the Marlies Playoffs - and by extension of that the development of our young prospects - as "meaningless" that has others riled up against you.

With the way the Leaf season ended, this is one of few things for Leaf Fans to really be excited about.
AHL is a development league....nothing else. It doesn't really matter if Kadri, Colborne or Gardiner win the Calder Trophy.....not in the big picture. Yes its great for their development...I agree. So has all the other stages of their hockey careers before they became property of the Toronto Maple Leafs..they have played the sport for the majority of their young lives to live out their dream. To play in the NHL playoffs and compete for the Stanley Cup. Thats what every player wants. In fact the greatest players of all time never saw the AHL because they didn't need to. I'm not dismissing the importance from the developing players perspective. I'm dismissing the importance of it from a fan's perspective. If hockey is entertainment...and I have X amount of time for entertainment, I have to prioritize and I simply choose the league that every player dreams of playing in. The best tournament in the world. Thats all. Nobody can tell me this thread would exist if the Leafs played Washington last night and tied the Quarter Final series at 2.

I want to see those guys have success as much as anybody. In Leaf uniforms. If Kadri/Colborne/Gardiner etc.. win the Calder Cup but never accomplish anything with the Leafs...I don't care.

Closed Thread