HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 Catharsis, Part 2 - Get it All Out, Bra

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2012, 12:56 PM
  #151
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
You have to look at the situations if you're talking about Sid. Down by 2. Takes the Flyers best player off with him. It's not as if we don't have the leagues MVP behind him to pick up the slack.

The other one. We were down by 3. Sid was trying any and everything to goad the Flyers into a penalty when he was with Schenn and the stuff with Hartnell.

Everything Sid did yesterday was with a straight face. Calm as a cucumber. Yea the team lost its cool as a whole but so would i if i was totally helpless out there in terms of playing competitive hockey. As shocked as we are, imagine the shock in that dressing room. The only one who didn't seemed to be shocked was Sid.

The stuff the Pens have to get away from is the back and forth chirping. They put more energy into that than actually playing the game. I expect to see less of it cuz it's pointless at this juncture.

The Pens will give them everything but at a certain point, with the way this D is playing, players have to know they are pretty much done if Game 4 plays out like the other 3.

The Pens didn't need career years on offense. They needed career years on defense.
I have to respectfully disagree. Did you hear him talking about why he pushed the glove after the game? He sounded like a ten year old talking about another ten year old that stole a toy from him. You say he was calm, look at the way he played and I'd argue quite the contrary. He was as invisible as a player that good can be. No focus in my opinion. I don't know if people are just in denial that the Flyers are in their heads, but I think it's quite obvious what was going on there. You've got one team smiling and laughing off the other team who is stone faced and frustrated as hell. Usually that's us, but we're getting a taste of our own medicine this postseason.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:08 PM
  #152
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. Did you hear him talking about why he pushed the glove after the game? He sounded like a ten year old talking about another ten year old that stole a toy from him. You say he was calm, look at the way he played and I'd argue quite the contrary. He was as invisible as a player that good can be. No focus in my opinion. I don't know if people are just in denial that the Flyers are in their heads, but I think it's quite obvious what was going on there. You've got one team smiling and laughing off the other team who is stone faced and frustrated as hell. Usually that's us, but we're getting a taste of our own medicine this postseason.
Again look at the situations Sid was involved in and his demeanor. After pushing the glove away, the Pens crawled back into it. It really didn't matter how Sid played cuz he had no support hockey wise. Hell they didn't even start him on the PP. He doesn't even have the support behind the bench. When they did put him out there to start one, they scored.

I agree with you that the Flyers are in thier heads but they weren't in Sid's yesterday. He was trying unlike a multitude of others on this team.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:10 PM
  #153
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Again look at the situations Sid was involved in and his demeanor. After pushing the glove away, the Pens crawled back into it. It really didn't matter how Sid played cuz he had no support hockey wise. Hell they didn't even start him on the PP. He doesn't even have the support behind the bench. When they did put him out there to start one, they scored.

I agree with you that the Flyers are in thier heads but they weren't in Sid's yesterday. He was trying unlike a multitude of others on this team.
They scored 2 last game without him on the PP.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:16 PM
  #154
Ominous Grey
Registered User
 
Ominous Grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. Did you hear him talking about why he pushed the glove after the game? He sounded like a ten year old talking about another ten year old that stole a toy from him. You say he was calm, look at the way he played and I'd argue quite the contrary. He was as invisible as a player that good can be. No focus in my opinion. I don't know if people are just in denial that the Flyers are in their heads, but I think it's quite obvious what was going on there. You've got one team smiling and laughing off the other team who is stone faced and frustrated as hell. Usually that's us, but we're getting a taste of our own medicine this postseason.
You want him to sound happy?

He should be pissed. We're down 0-3 to our arch-rivals. I, for one, am glad he's taking it as a personal insult the way the team has played.

The Flyers are in the Pens' heads, definitely, but not so much Crosby. Crosby's been our best player besides maybe Neal. If you don't believe me, look at the statsheet. Better yet, look at how we nearly made the game tied after he did what he did. If Fleury could stop a beachball, the game would have been 3-2 heading into the second, with us having the momentum.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:16 PM
  #155
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
They scored 2 last game without him on the PP.
And how many since then?
The 2 best players arguably for the Pens this series has been Sid and Neal. It would only make sense they get the majority of the PP time.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:20 PM
  #156
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
And how many since then?
The 2 best players arguably for the Pens this series has been Sid and Neal. It would only make sense they get the majority of the PP time.
I'm just trying to point out to you that just because Sid wasn't on the PP, doesn't mean anything. They are scoring plenty of goals to win games. They just aren't stopping the other team from scoring goals. Period.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:24 PM
  #157
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 500
I should clarify that i did like what i seen from Sid yesterday but it was one game. Where they were trying to claw back into it as the game went on.

I don't want to see that stuff anymore cuz 1)it won't work anymore and 2)it's a waste of energy.

The problem is even if were playing at our best, i don't know if the back ends' best will be good enough. It's been three games where the back end and our special teams had to be better. Just let them watch tape of the first period of game 1 all day. The best defense is making them play defense, for us.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
  #158
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 500
Dave Molinari Dave Molinari ‏ @MolinariPG

Bylsma, on his team's reaction to its 0-3 deficit: "There’s a little bit of shock and disbelief, disappointment in the situation."

Pens Inside Scoop ‏ @PensInsideScoop

#Pens coach Bylsma: If we scratch back in series it's going to be on the strength of Marc-Andre Fleury in net -SK

Dave Molinari ‏ @MolinariPG

Bylsma: "As a group, we haven’t been there, to a man, for (G Marc-Andre Fleury)."

Dave Molinari ‏ @MolinariPG

Bylsma, on his team's Game 3 meltdowns: "Certainly not proud of the situation that happened on the ice in the game, in a lot of respects.”

Dave Molinari Dave Molinari ‏ @MolinariPG

Bylsma, on Crosby in series: "I think Sid has been real focused in controlling his emotions.” Said 87 did things to jump-start teammates.

Pens Inside Scoop ‏ @PensInsideScoop

#Pens coach Bylsma: Crosby was trying to spark our team to get back into it (with fight). It was more calculated than emotional -SK

Dave Molinari ‏ @MolinariPG

Bylsma, on Flyers' PP and PK success: “The nine special-teams goals for them … They were big goals in big situations.”

Pens Inside Scoop ‏ @PensInsideScoop

Coach Bylsma: #Pens PK has given #Flyers too much respect and not done what has been successful for us all year -SK

Pens Inside Scoop ‏ @PensInsideScoop

#Pens coach Bylsma: Day off was a chance to get away from the rink and recover -SK

Dave Molinari ‏ @MolinariPG

Bylsma, on Game 4: “Our mindset, and what we bring to the rink, is as important as anything else we do.”

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:54 PM
  #159
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,679
vCash: 500
This is the 2nd year in a row where I believe our highly touted PK has been sub-par.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:21 PM
  #160
Crosberry87
Registered User
 
Crosberry87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Hitler is pissed too

Hitler is disgusted with the Pens being in an 0-3 hole. Enjoy the laugh.



Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:29 PM
  #161
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy
 
Antaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post

Bylsma, on Game 4: “Our mindset, and what we bring to the rink, is as important as anything else we do.”


I'm a firm beliver that, that right there is the key.

I have no real idea what the hell happened to start these events (Damn you Measha Brueggergosman) but they've dug themselves a hell of a hole.

If they want to get out of it this season they've got to make some serious attitude adjustments, as a team.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:41 PM
  #162
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosberry87 View Post
Hitler is disgusted with the Pens being in an 0-3 hole. Enjoy the laugh.


That's gold. But then again I have a pretty childish sense of humor.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:48 PM
  #163
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,051
vCash: 500
Nothing in what Bylsma said suggests lineup changes. Not even down 0-3 in the FIRST round...basically when everyone would shake it up even just for the sake of shaking things up...will we make any significant changes. This mindset stuff only goes so far. We're getting our a*ses handed to us. We have 5-7 guys who are just sucking donkey balls. But no, fix the mindset. Whatever.

If Tangradi, Strait, calling up Despres, even playing Johnson or Thiessen et al doesn't happen after this debacle of a three-game playoff set, then what does that say about next season for these guys (and all our other prospects) going forward with this current regime?

The sad part is they're getting destroyed by a team who does EXACTLY the opposite of what they do as an organization. And they can't even see that.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:53 PM
  #164
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
That's gold. But then again I have a pretty childish sense of humor.
No, it's gold. Really brilliant gold. The aside about Pirate games sometimes being fun was too perfect. Sometimes you just have to laugh at your situation and roll on.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:57 PM
  #165
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Nothing in what Bylsma said suggests lineup changes. Not even down 0-3 in the FIRST round...basically when everyone would shake it up even just for the sake of shaking things up...will we make any significant changes. This mindset stuff only goes so far. We're getting our a*ses handed to us. We have 5-7 guys who are just sucking donkey balls. But no, fix the mindset. Whatever.

If Tangradi, Strait, calling up Despres, even playing Johnson or Thiessen et al doesn't happen after this debacle of a three-game playoff set, then what does that say about next season for these guys (and all our other prospects) going forward with this current regime?

The sad part is they're getting destroyed by a team who does EXACTLY the opposite of what they do as an organization. And they can't even see that.
You have to keep Fleury in imo. You're not coming back in this series without him. If BJ showed anything this season, I might have a different view.

But with respect to the lineup, yeah, I want Tangradi in. Size on the wing, banging their D-men around, puck possession down low. That's what he can bring.

And I'd absolutely take Martin out for Despres. But then again, that's alot of pressure to put on a kid.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:02 PM
  #166
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy
 
Antaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
And I'd absolutely take Martin out for Despres. But then again, that's alot of pressure to put on a kid.
Some people thrive under pressure, Martin obviously doesn't. (at the very least, not now)
Despres has won the memorial cup.


Good enough for me.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:05 PM
  #167
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,051
vCash: 500
What pressure? We're down 0-3? What's the WORST thing that could happen by benching Martin for Despres? We'll win the game?

Seriously.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:11 PM
  #168
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
What pressure? We're down 0-3? What's the WORST thing that could happen by benching Martin for Despres? We'll win the game?

Seriously.
Putting a kid in a top 4 role in a do or die game 4 against a bitter divisional rival who has outmuscled us in our own end and will be laying some big hits in response to last game.

It could work out tremendously, or you could set him up to fail miserably.

I'm not against it, just saying it's not an easy decision.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:28 PM
  #169
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Putting a kid in a top 4 role in a do or die game 4 against a bitter divisional rival who has outmuscled us in our own end and will be laying some big hits in response to last game.

It could work out tremendously, or you could set him up to fail miserably.

I'm not against it, just saying it's not an easy decision.
OK, so he fails. Chalk another one up. Go play golf. See you in September, Simon.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:30 PM
  #170
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
OK, so he fails. Chalk another one up. Go play golf. See you in September, Simon.
I'll be all for our young guys getting roster spots in september. But I'm not sure I want to expose him to this bull**** at this point.

We honestly don't need another puck mover to win game 4. We need to tighten the gap between our forwards and D. Show some desperation to tie sticks up when Martin will inevitably turn the puck over.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:37 PM
  #171
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'll be all for our young guys getting roster spots in september. But I'm not sure I want to expose him to this bull**** at this point.

We honestly don't need another puck mover to win game 4. We need to tighten the gap between our forwards and D. Show some desperation to tie sticks up when Martin will inevitably turn the puck over.
Despres' more than just a puck-mover. Stick him on Jagr and see what happens. He has the talent to shut him down.

And to not play him because you don't want to expose him is the wrong mindset. That's what our organization constantly thinks, and it's stalling some of our youth.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:42 PM
  #172
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Despres' more than just a puck-mover. Stick him on Jagr and see what happens. He has the talent to shut him down.

And to not play him because you don't want to expose him is the wrong mindset. That's what our organization constantly thinks, and it's stalling some of our youth.
They ****ed up not keeping him up during the regular season and letting him play through his shortcomings.

I just don't think it's wise to throw him to the wolves right now. And unlikely to happen to be honest.

I advocated moving Martin at the deadline b/c Niskanen had been so reliable all year. And it would leave room for Despres on the bottom pairing with Engelland. Their size alone would make them more than serviceable in limited minutes.

Now we see Martin's true colors in the postseason and his value has dropped off even more. Reclamation project levels. Shero was unlikely to move an established D-man, but I'll be interested to see if there are any rumors that come out about what offers he had at the deadline and if they come up again this offseason.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:45 PM
  #173
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,467
vCash: 500
Also, if anyone didn't notice. Niskanen played 1 second less than Martin last game. And not at 100% health.

Beyond me why they don't use him on the PK more. Martin might have the worst clearing attempts I've seen in a Pens uniform.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:56 PM
  #174
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Despres' more than just a puck-mover. Stick him on Jagr and see what happens. He has the talent to shut him down.

And to not play him because you don't want to expose him is the wrong mindset. That's what our organization constantly thinks, and it's stalling some of our youth.
Jagr would eat him alive. In Jagr, you not only have someone just as big, and probably stronger than Despres, but Jagr's veteran savvy would make Despres look silly.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:56 PM
  #175
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Also, if anyone didn't notice. Niskanen played 1 second less than Martin last game. And not at 100% health.

Beyond me why they don't use him on the PK more. Martin might have the worst clearing attempts I've seen in a Pens uniform.
I would reserve that for Michalek or Orpik most nights. Ben Lovejoy in these playoffs.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.