HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 Catharsis, Part 2 - Get it All Out, Bra

Old
04-16-2012, 06:02 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I would reserve that for Michalek or Orpik most nights. Ben Lovejoy in these playoffs.
Haha, I watched the game again today. Definitely enjoyed watching Orpik straight wiffing on a slapper around the boards after Adams wins the f/o, for the second time.

That guy has been absolute ****. He'd be our worst defenseman if he couldn't throw hits occasionally.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Jagr would eat him alive. In Jagr, you not only have someone just as big, and probably stronger than Despres, but Jagr's veteran savvy would make Despres look silly.
Despres played a game against him earlier this season and did very well. Small sample size, but we don't have much of anything else to go on right about now.

Jagr ate Dupuis alive yesterday, circa 1991. The left D aren't handling him now either, might as well try someone else. Rinse. Repeat.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Marns
@thestretchpass

It's worth everyone checking out this interview with Ray Ferraro on TSN.ca: http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip659561

Watch from 2:05 when Lansberg asks about how the Flyers have gotten under their skins. Ferraro says that one phrase he's heard Scott Hartnell say a lot is "You guys are losing your mind, what's wrong with you guys?" He says that it's infuriated the Pens.

I know that the play and physicality has also angered the Pens, but it's a real worry that a team can get under their collective skin so easily. Given that it is this rivalry in particular, there is always stuff from seasons gone by that carries over, but surely they've just got to rise above it all and get on with it. Something tells me the fact that there are so many fresh faces on the Flyers (and so many players who aren't yet so emotionally involved in the rivalry) has benefited them.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:16 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Despres played a game against him earlier this season and did very well. Small sample size, but we don't have much of anything else to go on right about now.

Jagr ate Dupuis alive yesterday, circa 1991. The left D aren't handling him now either, might as well try someone else. Rinse. Repeat.
Despres could pull down his pants and **** in the middle of the ice and you'd say he did very well, Jags. He's your flavor of the month. There's no point in even debating with you about anything regarding Despres. I fully expect him to be your write in for Norris next season.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Despres could pull down his pants and **** in the middle of the ice and you'd say he did very well, Jags. He's your flavor of the month. There's no point in even debating with you about anything regarding Despres. I fully expect him to be your write in for Norris next season.
Oh if only I had a vote.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:36 PM
SidTheKid8787

Again, i think you have to look at things logically. The Pens lost their heads in game 3 cuz they couldn't find any answers between the whistles. They are more shocked than us i would imagine cuz they probably had more faith in the Paul Martin's and Brooks Orpiks's than we did.

I'd even venture to say even Philly is shocked at the atrocious defensive play from the Pens. Not so much the lack of composure. The shoe could easily be on the other foot and Philly fans would have to be defending what the players say between games or thier actions on the ice.

Games 1 and 2 were very good hockey games in terms of both teams skating away from the scrums etc.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:40 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Oh, goody - Roenick is about to weigh in on the Pens-Flyers game on NBCSports Network.

Better hold off on eating dinner until after the segment so I don't have to eat twice.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Again, i think you have to look at things logically. The Pens lost their heads in game 3 cuz they couldn't find any answers between the whistles. They are more shocked than us i would imagine cuz they probably had more faith in the Paul Martin's and Brooks Orpiks's than we did.

I'd even venture to say even Philly is shocked at the atrocious defensive play from the Pens. Not so much the lack of composure. The shoe could easily be on the other foot and Philly fans would have to be defending what the players say between games or thier actions on the ice.

Games 1 and 2 were very good hockey games in terms of both teams skating away from the scrums etc.
So, what are you saying? Stuff happens. Oh well, we'll get him next year? The end???

Old
04-16-2012, 06:47 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
So, what are you saying? Stuff happens. Oh well, we'll get him next year? The end???
In terms of fans coming down on the Pens for yesterday. Yes, that falls into the "stuff happens" category for me. The game, the situation and the past between the 2 teams.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:53 PM
SEALBound

I thought this was funny...my post before game 1...

Quote:
To be quite honest...this is the Penguins series to lose. If they lose, they will have done it to themselves.

Keys to the series:

1. Marc-Andre Fleury. MF'in MF. He has to out perform Brzy. Plain and simple. The softies...can't happen. We know that more than likely the defense is going to lapse a few times and he has to be at the tip top of his game to bail us out. He has to steal those games and be a rock. No goals on the first shot...no softies...just classic MAF. He has to be our MVP this series.

2. Dan Bylsma. He has to out coach Laviolette. The Flyers know what match ups will work...and he has to get the star players away from those matchups. Couturier has done a decent job against Malkin...DB has to get him away from those shutdown matchups. We can not finesse our way through this. It didn't work against MTL in 10 and its not going to work this time. Play the match up game...and win Dan.

3. Secondary scoring. We know Sid and Geno are going to score...them being them is not a key to the series. We know we need them. We need the secondary scoring from guys like Kunitz, Dupuis, Sullivan, and Cooke. Everyone has to chip in. If the 4th line can chip in a goal every so often, even better. Gotta hurt them on the PK too. If we aren't getting the match ups and guys are focusing on Sid or Geno, the secondary guys have to contribute.

4. Pressure. 0-0...that is the score of the game no matter what the score of the game is. We have to be applying constant aggressive pressure. Relentless on puck pursuit. It's was got us past Detroit and it will get us past the Flyers. Gritty in the corners, busting balls to get back on the backcheck, and quick transitions. Force turnovers boys.

5. Intensity and after the whistle. We know Philly wants to get under our skin...and they do it as well as team possibly can. The boys fall for it every game. We play that chicken **** after the whistle stuff and it gets us off our game. Everyone has to ignore it. Whistle blows, skate away immediately. Lets them chirp. If they see it doesn't get it us...it will get to them. It will get them of their game and thats what we want. We can't fall victim to it. Not pointing fingers...but Malkin in particular! Stay out of it Geno! Hurt them on the score sheet!

6. Minimal defensive lapses. We have a lot of them...a lot of missed assignments and a lot of guys out of position. Tighten up. We need our pairings playing like they are capable of. Now...the one thing concerning the defense that will kill us (and I mean KILL US!) above all else...CLEAR THE MAN OUT OF IN FRONT OF THE NET! All year there has been a complete and utter refusal to clear the opponents from in front of the net and it kills us. We let them camp out like its the friggin KOA on Memorial Day weekend. It simply can not happen...on the PK or at ES...clear them out defense!

Those are my keys to the series...I think we can do it...be prepared for war...
Every single one...failed...and we are at 0-3 lol...

Lord help us...

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:55 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I thought this was funny...my post before game 1...

Every single one...failed...and we are at 0-3 lol...

Lord help us...
Indeed SEAL. I do give credit to the Flyers though. The chant "You Can't Beat Us" is embarassingly true.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:57 PM
mpp9

We can't play worse. That's the only positive I can take out of this.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Moebius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Oh, goody - Roenick is about to weigh in on the Pens-Flyers game on NBCSports Network.

Better hold off on eating dinner until after the segment so I don't have to eat twice.
They say once you have to get personal you've lost, but Roenick is a bumbling fool. A greasy moron. I mean, the way he talks (sounds like a homeless person), his sloppy appearance, and I think he spits when he talks.

Moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We can't play worse. That's the only positive I can take out of this.
We can. We can not score.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
We can. We can not score.
I can easily see a Varlamovesque game tomorrow by MAF and the Pens getting run out of the building.

Unless the Flyers get complacent and start playing poorly.

Steve Durbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:20 PM

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:23 PM
PensFanSince1989

I've just seen it all. Cherry defending Crosby and applauding him for not giving up yesterday.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:24 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
I've just seen it all. Cherry defending Crosby and applauding him for not giving up yesterday.
Watching it as well. Even gave Hartnell a little jab. Bizarro world my friends.

To the purists who believe in fighting, i can see them giving him a little respect for yesterdays effort though.

Last edited by SidTheKid8787: 04-16-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old
04-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
He's still no Gilbert Brule though.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:22 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Sid's not the first (nor the last) captain to do it, that's why.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Shanahanigans

Hey guys, Oilers fan here. I know you guys are getting **** on all over the main boards, and it sucks (we kind of know that feeling too). Regardless of what happened in game 3, I still love watching the Pens play, and with intensity. There are obviously a couple of players I haven't been impressed with, but this isn't the place to discuss it. So, I just wanted to wish you guys the best of luck in Game 4, and hope this entertaining series can go up to game 7. Good luck!

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:18 PM
mpp9

Quote from Crosby:

On the fans saying Game 3 was embarrassing:
You know what, I think the tough part is that if they’re in this room, they’d see how much every guy cared. It’s more than one team that’s doing that stuff out there. They should have nothing to be embarrassed about. They should be pretty proud of the guys they have here. It’s a terrible situation to be in, being down 3-0. But that’s when you need your fans the most. We’re not going to sit here and make excuses. We can’t fix the fact that we’re down 3-0. But I think we all believe we can come back and I think this is when you lean on your fans the most.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:34 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

When this series goes back to game 7, I want to heard a loud "YOU CAN'T BEAT US!!!" from the fans in Pittsburgh. Also, "How is Pronger?!?!?!"

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:43 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPower420 View Post
When this series goes back to game 7, I want to heard a loud "YOU CAN'T BEAT US!!!" from the fans in Pittsburgh. Also, "How is Pronger?!?!?!"
Completely uncalled for. Especially after what we had to go through with Crosby. You're the kind of person who gives Penguins fans a bad name.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote