HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VI (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 12:26 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
How about the finals last year? How about that epic crap game 7 against the Hawks the year before? He's shat the bed multiple times..
there was no game 7 against the Hawks, they lost in 6 both times...

Funny you should mention all this, I counted up the playoff bed****ting of the best goalies just today - games with a save% of .830 or lower in which they were credited with a loss. Luongo has 11 of them in 61 games for an average of 18%. Fleury has 13 in 75 for an average of 17%.

Points of comparison: brodeur's average is 11% since his last cup, and Nabokov, typically seen as a bad playoff goalie, is 11% since 2004.

So Luongo sh*ts the bed with a greater frequency than any top goalie, it seems, yet, his career .916 sv% is 8th of 18 goalies to play 30 playoff games since 2004. If he has the lowest and most frequent lows, then to be well above average on the aggregate, his highs have to also be higher and more frequent. But no one wants to look at the big picture. They just want to sift through the ***** in his bed.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:12 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

If I'm a Cup contender, I would much rather have a consistently above average goalie than one who could steal games and also blow them consistently. If I have a weak team, I'd take the second one.

There's a reason why Martin Brodeur - who basically went 15 years of never having two bad games in a row - was so valued by NHL GMs

Old
04-23-2012, 02:48 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Playoffs need less of this

Old
04-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Backes, Bergeron, Datsyuk finalists for Selke...that's quite the record Datsyuk's compiling. My guess is Bergeron for the winner

Old
04-23-2012, 06:32 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
wow, why can't people get off the "Marleau is a choker" bandwagon? When did this even start? It must be 6 years by now.

one bad playoff and people are back on it. It's stupid. I mean, I'm not saying he's a playoff superstar or anything, but production-wise he has been right on expectations.

In his career, his PPG goes from 0.74 in the regular season to 0.68 in the playoffs. That is an 8% drop, which is better than most players experience. But that also includes 4 years in which he had about half a point per game and much less than that in the playoffs as the Sharks were easy first round fodder.

From 2002 till now, Marleau has 0.75 PPG in the playoffs, and 0.83 in the regular season, a drop of 9%. Before this "0 in 5" year it was only a 5% drop in his prime years.
Ryan Kesler didn't score this postseason, in fact, is goalless in his last 17 games. Is he a choker? Nope. The fact is that both St. Louis and L.A. played great defensively and the series wasn't proof of anything careerwise. The same could be said of Lidstrom against a superior Nashville defense.

'Defense wins championships' this year, unless Philly or - hockey gods forbid - Ottawa go all the way.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:36 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Backes, Bergeron, Datsyuk finalists for Selke...that's quite the record Datsyuk's compiling. My guess is Bergeron for the winner
All season long several members of the media have been buzzing about Bergeron, so I have expected since December that he would be a frontrunner in their voting. My eyes say Backes has been the most deserving, but then again, he's a flashier hitter so he tends to stand out more. But playing in St. Louis is a strike against him compared to the Cup champs and that other guy raved about as one of the most skilled, beloved in the media.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
So, what to do with him? Elite MLD 1st liner? Due to his multipositionality, should he be an early spare? 3rd/4th scoring line? Offensive punch added to a shutdown line? (honestly, there will always be better options for that role, too)
I see him as an elite spare/average 4th liner.

04-23-2012, 06:50 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I see him as an elite spare/average 4th liner.
His elite soft hands has to be worthy of all-time 2nd pp duty.

At left wing with an elite passing center, and with a booming shot of a dman from the point to generate juicy rebounds around the crease, Marleau can compete with the best.

He also has world class speed from effortless strong strides, deceptively so.

He has great hockey sense to handle the highest levels of competition too.

I'd put him on the wing of an elite passer on any line, ideally at present as the third talent of a 2nd line, though having that as a temp fill-in job from a 4th line, 2nd pp duty role makes sense.

Marleau makes sense as an ATD spare given he can play left wing or center, special teams, in a top-6 role as a rebounder crease presence, in a bottom-6 role as a responsible, coachable (all coaches have praised him endlessly in San Jose) speedster. I actually think he is more likely to be effective as a 2nd line left winger than as a bottom-6 forward, given he is not a hitter, nor energy guy, though he handled 3rd line and pp, pk duties just fine in the 2012 Olympics playing with and against the best of his era. His hard work is recognized by fans who continually vote him as a fan favorite. Us Sharks fans love the guy!

Old
04-23-2012, 07:25 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
His elite soft hands has to be worthy of all-time 2nd pp duty.

At left wing with an elite passing center, and with a booming shot of a dman from the point to generate juicy rebounds around the crease, Marleau can compete with the best.

He also has world class speed from effortless strong strides, deceptively so.

He has great hockey sense to handle the highest levels of competition too.

I'd put him on the wing of an elite passer on any line, ideally at present as the third talent of a 2nd line, though having that as a temp fill-in job from a 4th line, 2nd pp duty role makes sense.
it's easy to say that, but then look at the names he is up against for those positions.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

This playoff has been an anti climax for me... these soft penalties is really annoying. Let hockey players be hockey players ffs.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:32 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
This playoff has been an anti climax for me... these soft penalties is really annoying. Let hockey players be hockey players ffs.
Since the lockout, the refs have always called a ton of penalties in the first round, before easing off in later rounds

Old
04-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Since the lockout, the refs have always called a ton of penalties in the first round, before easing off in later rounds
My point still stands then...

Old
04-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

KHL and SEL playoffs was better than this crap. Refs are stinking up the joint but its a given.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I'd still rather see lots of penalties than have thuggery decide who wins.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I'd still rather see lots of penalties than have thuggery decide who wins.

Youve got it.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post

Youve got it.
Except that as the playoff progress, the refs stop caring and thugs benefit.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:13 AM
seventieslord

What an epic changing of the guard we are witnessing in the western conference. Nashville, St. Louis, Phoenix and Los Angeles have a combined ONE series win in the last decade. One! And if you selectively extend their respective periods of futility, they have just two series wins in the last combined 66 years (LA 2001, Nashville 2011). The four teams they just knocked off (DET, VAN, CHI, SJ) had a combined 32 series wins just in the 6 years following the lockout. Things have changed in the west!

Old
04-24-2012, 12:25 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

things havent change in the west , it's just the stupid league parity , watch them suck in 2 years and other teams coming on top.Ridiculously boring , it's just a crapshoot at this point , no real core of players and too much salary cap fantasy talks is what the fans seems to like these days.It's a cancer to hockey.Of course it sucks if your team is bad for years during some era where the other teams are powerhouses , but at least when it's your turn you can actually enjoy it for a while.Either way , this is bad for hockey history , it's now hard to accomplish anything team wise and it pisses me off.Too much parity is simply boring.I also would liek to be able to see some great players playing on powerhouses and see what they could do.

I like to see 4 super teams and waiting for their series matchups while they bulldoze their way through the others , it builts the tension before it.Right now any team could win the cup , this is simply horrible.

One thing I should do is start a sport betting career and bet on underdogs , I'm sure there is money to be made in the long run as long as the NHL parity exist.There is probably a window of opportunity before the bookies adjust to the new reality that no team is a 1,50 favorite in a series anymore.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:33 AM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
things havent change in the west , it's just the stupid league parity , watch them suck in 2 years and other teams coming on top.Ridiculously boring , it's just a crapshoot at this point , no real core of players and too much salary cap fantasy talks is what the fans seems to like these days.It's a cancer to hockey.Of course it sucks if your team is bad for years during some era where the other teams are powerhouses , but at least when it's your turn you can actually enjoy it for a while.Either way , this is bad for hockey history , it's now hard to accomplish anything team wise and it pisses me off.Too much parity is simply boring.I also would liek to be able to see some great players playing on powerhouses and see what they could do.

I like to see 4 super teams and waiting for their series matchups while they bulldoze their way through the others , it builts the tension before it.Right now any team could win the cup , this is simply horrible.

One thing I should do is start a sport betting career and bet on underdogs , I'm sure there is money to be made in the long run as long as the NHL parity exist.There is probably a window of opportunity before the bookies adjust to the new reality that no team is a 1,50 favorite in a series anymore.
I think the parity is great for the league. To have different teams always with a chance to win the cup is very exciting. The new system also rewards teams that manage their assets properly as well.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:43 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
I think the parity is great for the league. To have different teams always with a chance to win the cup is very exciting. The new system also rewards teams that manage their assets properly as well.
agree to disagree then.I hate leagues where everyone has a shot.Crapshoots arent interesting.

to me it's painful to see all these teams having a chance this year , they arent even great teams at all.looking at the line-ups they just sucks , except maybe the flyers if they had pronger.

same thing with the art ross , its been a painful ride to watch 8 or 9 (cant remember too lazy to check right now) differant players win in a row.

Old
04-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Agreed. I picked the Predators and the Blues.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Once you guys talked about bands you like. Do you guys like any of these? Here's my list:

Adelita's Way
Art of Dying
Black Stone Cherry
Breaking Benjamin
Chevelle
Halestorm
Jane's Addiction
Pop Evil
Poppa Roach
Puddle of Mudd
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Red Light King
Royal Bliss
Saving Abel
Shinedown
Stone Sour
Theory of a Deadman
Three Days Grace
Trapt
Wayland

Old
04-25-2012, 10:31 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
Once you guys talked about bands you like. Do you guys like any of these? Here's my list:
I like:

Red Hot Chili Peppers

I used to be into:

Chevelle

they're cool but I never got into them:

Jane's Addiction

I know very little about and have no strong opinions on:

Breaking Benjamin
Stone Sour

I know nothing about:

Adelita's Way
Art of Dying
Black Stone Cherry
Halestorm
Pop Evil
Red Light King
Royal Bliss
Saving Abel
Shinedown
Wayland

They, um, suck:

Poppa Roach
Puddle of Mudd
Theory of a Deadman
Three Days Grace
Trapt

Old
04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Thanks for posting and your honesty. As for the ones you don't know, I'm not trying to be hip. I know I'm not. The Leafs won the Cup the year I was born. We listen to a modern rock radio station in the car and that's how I know them. They list every song by time so if you hear one and don't know the band you can look it up at the time later on the net. It's very cool.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:18 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Man, this season's 1st round is insane. So far in our office betting, Mr.Random, who randomizes his picks, went from last place after regular season into first place in playoffs. Madness.

Closed Thread