HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VI (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Hawkman
Le Gros Bill

vCash: 500
Although I forgot to mention them in my list, The Black Keys are my favorite new band. The local park district sponsored a city wide essay writing contest and Sean won it. They're planting a tree in his name at his school tomorrow and I'm pretty excited about it. Maybe he'll grow up to write legal briefs like Sturm does.

Old
04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Hawkman
Le Gros Bill

Leafs win 2013 Cup - ATDers go crazy!

"Roberto Luongo asks Canucks for trade; list will reportedly include Maple Leafs, Lightning (Puck Daddy)
Seeing Roberto Luongo as the center of controversy and the scapegoat for playoff failure for the Vancouver Canucks is like comfort food at this point in the season. Alas, it appears the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs will be the last time the netminder wears the whale (barring expansion to Hartford). Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet reported Thursday morning that Luongo asked the Canucks for a trade in his exit meeting, without the team even asking him to waive his no-trade clause. This comes after Luongo told the media, after Vancouver's 5-game defeat to the Los Angeles Kings, that he wouldn't stand in the way of a deal should the Canucks decide to move forward with Cory Schneider as their goalie. Luongo holds the cards here, and can veto a trade to control where he's traded. According to reports, the Toronto Maple Leafs are one of the destinations he'd approve."

Last edited by Hawkman: 04-26-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old
04-26-2012, 12:03 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

In today's unsurprising news:

Norris Finalists : Karlsson, Weber and Chara

Old
04-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
Although I forgot to mention them in my list, The Black Keys are my favorite new band.
I just finally got around to buying their latest album, El Camino, yesterday. Listened to some of it on the way to work...pretty good so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing them live when they come to Chicago for Lollapalooza this summer.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:35 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
In today's unsurprising news:

Norris Finalists : Karlsson, Weber and Chara
good. Hopefully Pietrangelo is 4th then. I can definitely live with this.

As far as Karlsson winning the Norris, I'm neutral. He did some really special things offensively. Not killing penalties hurt his case. it's entirely possible that Weber and especially Chara had a bigger impact overall thanks to more well-rounded games and killing penalties. It's also possible that he just generated so many points that it doesn't matter. Interested to see how this one plays out.

Old
04-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
good. Hopefully Pietrangelo is 4th then. I can definitely live with this.

As far as Karlsson winning the Norris, I'm neutral. He did some really special things offensively. Not killing penalties hurt his case. it's entirely possible that Weber and especially Chara had a bigger impact overall thanks to more well-rounded games and killing penalties. It's also possible that he just generated so many points that it doesn't matter. Interested to see how this one plays out.
I believe QUALCOMP shows that Karlsson was playing against the other teams' best at ES, so that at least makes his no PKing not seem as bad. I think his offensive numbers and Ottawa making the playoffs when they weren't really suppose to will win it for him.

EDIT: When's the last time a Dman led the pack by this much offensively with a player like Jason Spezza as their best forward? Nothing against the guy, he's a great player, but look at some of the other Dmen who have done this and the best forwards on their teams...Coffey had Gretzky/Lemieux, Pilote had Hull/Mikita, Kelly had Howe

Last edited by Hawkey Town 18: 04-26-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old
04-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Hawkman
Le Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
I just finally got around to buying their latest album, El Camino, yesterday. Listened to some of it on the way to work...pretty good so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing them live when they come to Chicago for Lollapalooza this summer.
That's very cool. I can't compete, but my son Sean Patrick wants to go to a Comic Book convention in Rosemont in August so I'm taking him. Some of the guests include William Shatner, Jeri Ryan, Stan Lee, WWE® Superstar CM Punk™ (I don't know who CM Punk is, but I bet you guys do.), Nina Dobrev, Tom Felton, Bruce Campbell, Jon Bernthal, and Sean Young who is best known for her performances in films from the 1980s such as Blade Runner, Dune, and No Way Out.

Old
04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
****, i'd go just for Shatner and Bruce Campbell. Having Jeri Ryan there certainly doesn't hurt matters either.

And the Black Keys are ****ing awesome, been more and more of a fan of theirs since Attack & Release.

Old
04-27-2012, 07:04 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Very interesting teams in the western conference this season.

Caps in 6
Flyers in 5
Blues in 6
Preds in 7

Funnily enough, we have 70% of votes in office for Kings, Coyotes and Rangers...

Old
04-27-2012, 08:35 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Tough call in the Caps-Rangers series. Doesn't NY typically struggle with the Caps in the playoffs?

Rangers in 7
Flyers in 5
Preds in 6
Blues in 7

Old
04-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Velociraptor

Caps in 7
Flyers in 5
Blues in 6
Preds in 6

Old
04-27-2012, 11:59 AM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
I believe QUALCOMP shows that Karlsson was playing against the other teams' best at ES, so that at least makes his no PKing not seem as bad. I think his offensive numbers and Ottawa making the playoffs when they weren't really suppose to will win it for him.

EDIT: When's the last time a Dman led the pack by this much offensively with a player like Jason Spezza as their best forward? Nothing against the guy, he's a great player, but look at some of the other Dmen who have done this and the best forwards on their teams...Coffey had Gretzky/Lemieux, Pilote had Hull/Mikita, Kelly had Howe
Yeah, I think that's a big factor. Ray Bourque in the late 80s was probably the last great offensive defenceman with a worse top forward than Karlsson had. I guess you could look at Scott Stevens in 1993-94 as well, although 78 points didn't go as far back then.

Even worse than Spezza as the best forward was a 39 year old Alfredsson as the #2, Milan Michalek as the #3, and Nick Foligno as the #4. The Sens relied heavily on their blueliners to generate offence, especially Karlsson, and finished #4 in GF with a forward group that included about 9 bottom sixers.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
Yeah, I think that's a big factor. Ray Bourque in the late 80s was probably the last great offensive defenceman with a worse top forward than Karlsson had. I guess you could look at Scott Stevens in 1993-94 as well, although 78 points didn't go as far back then.

Even worse than Spezza as the best forward was a 39 year old Alfredsson as the #2, Milan Michalek as the #3, and Nick Foligno as the #4. The Sens relied heavily on their blueliners to generate offence, especially Karlsson, and finished #4 in GF with a forward group that included about 9 bottom sixers.
How is Spezza bad as a top forward?

Old
04-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
He's not, but check out post #306 for some context. Compared to those 5 guys, he's several tiers lower.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:39 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
compared to the top forwards other top offensive defensemen have had (Gretzky, Lemieux, etc) - he is.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:46 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Spezza is a floater. How many times have you heard the play by play guy say "Spezza needs to get his feet moving." He gets beat to pucks, beat on his half-effort checking attempts, really a liability without the puck. The guy is not a winner. He has talent with the puck, no doubt. But the total package is lacking.

I watched him play juniors in Windsor and the crowd booed him a lot. He did not endear himself to the blue-collar hard-working crowd with his sometimes determination. He often floated around waiting for a pass or rush, and the man he was supposed to be covering often got chances against. He has not changes significantly in that regard.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:49 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Spezza is a floater. How many times have you heard the play by play guy say "Spezza needs to get his feet moving." He gets beat to pucks, beat on his half-effort checking attempts, really a liability without the puck. The guy is not a winner. He has talent with the puck, no doubt. But the total package is lacking.

I watched him play juniors in Windsor and the crowd booed him a lot. He did not endear himself to the blue-collar hard-working crowd with his sometimes determination. He often floated around waiting for a pass or rush, and the man he was supposed to be covering often got chances against. He has not changes significantly in that regard.
I kind of agree, but his offensive ability is undeniable. It's just.. you need to put players around him that can keep up with him offensively while covering for him defensively.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:51 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

The media is really hyping a low scoring close series between Nashville and Phoenix and I just don't see it. Nashville is a playoff team retooled for a cup run while Phoenix is an overachieving squad. Nashville have a lot of scoring depth a vastly superior blueline and one of the best goalies in the business. Low scoring 1-0 games? Sorry, but Phoenix is not as challenging as Detroit was, and Nashville is not as inept as Chicago became in the latter half of the year.

PREDICTION: Nashville in 5 games, with the Preds averaging OVER 3 goals a game!

Old
04-27-2012, 05:52 PM
jarek

Quote:
The media is really hyping a low scoring close series between Nashville and Phoenix and I just don't see it. Nashville is a playoff team retooled for a cup run while Phoenix is an overachieving squad. Nashville have a lot of scoring depth a vastly superior blueline and one of the best goalies in the business. Low scoring 1-0 games? Sorry, but Phoenix is not as challenging as Detroit was, and Nashville is not as inept as Chicago became in the latter half of the year.

PREDICTION: Nashville in 5 games, with the Preds averaging OVER 3 goals a game!
Not with Barry Trotz coaching! He finally has a team that can compete offensively with the best, so I think he's going to focus on defense while telling his team to capitalize on opportunities handed to them. I agree that Phoenix is a much easier opponent for them than Detroit.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:54 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
I kind of agree, but his offensive ability is undeniable. It's just.. you need to put players around him that can keep up with him offensively while covering for him defensively.
True, His offensive ability is significant enough that with the right linemates he can thrive. He has had some luck in Ottawa, with the offensive emergence of a blueliner and linemates who skate hard. I still think though that he belongs on an also-ran team not a contender.

Old
04-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Philly in 6
Washington in 7
L.A. in 7
Nashville in 6

04-27-2012, 05:58 PM
jarek

Quote:
True, His offensive ability is significant enough that with the right linemates he can thrive. He has had some luck in Ottawa, with the offensive emergence of a blueliner and linemates who skate hard. I still think though that he belongs on an also-ran team not a contender.
It's why Alfredsson was so good for him. Alfredsson is the most complete player the current Ottawa franchise has ever had.

Old
04-27-2012, 06:00 PM
seventieslord

Quote:

It kinda sounds like you haven't watched him in the last 4 years. Everything I've heard and seen suggest he has made significant changes in these areas.

It's ok to admit that he has. It doesn't mean his all-time value changes accordingly automatically just because his non-offensive skills have been acceptable for 3-4 years. But it does raise the "average" value he can be expected to deliver in an ATD. Spezza, for the foreseeable future, will remain an MLD center, probably 2nd line, if we stick with 32 team ATDs.

Old
04-27-2012, 06:01 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
Not with Barry Trotz coaching! He finally has a team that can compete offensively with the best, so I think he's going to focus on defense while telling his team to capitalize on opportunities handed to them. I agree that Phoenix is a much easier opponent for them than Detroit.
And they will. That is my point. Hard work, three lines that can score, and one of the best powerplays in the league will eat up the Coyotes defense and put away too many screens and rebounds and shots UP CLOSE on Smith. The Preds are not a perimeter team. They take the rubber to the net and get second and third chances. Smith is weak in terms of reflexes, is slow in reaction time, plays his size on angles and flopping in the lanes. He wil be eaten up!

3+ goals a game for Nashville. I disagree with TSN, nhl.com and Comcast on how this series will play out. It will not be close and it won't be a goaltending duel.

We will see...

Old
04-27-2012, 06:06 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
It kinda sounds like you haven't watched him in the last 4 years. Everything I've heard and seen suggest he has made significant changes in these areas.
I gave up on following the Senators as a secondary interest team last season when the Sens sucked royally. Karlsson was a bright sfinally pot and given how the Sens have progressed this season I almost wish I had watched more Ottawa games this year.

I have seen two of the Sens games this postseason, including the Game 7, and Spezza was NOT moving his feet, trailing plays, was beaten for a goal, looked like old Spezza.

Closed Thread