HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VI (all non-ATD topics here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

vCash: 500
I don't know what to think of OV's playoff career. He does score. He and Giroux have both played exactly 50 playoff games and both rank top 15 in PPG among post expansion players with 50+ playoff games. I guess the question is does OV bring enough other things such as defense, leadership, etc. to a playoff team to lead it past the second round? What do you guys think? 70s?

Last edited by Hawkman: 05-10-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old
05-10-2012, 10:50 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Maybe so.. but he also sounds like a hockey player.
Really? I'd say a Polish name sounds by default unhockeylike. Same with Spanish names like Gomez or Torres. Actually about 3/4 of the names you listed sound completely unhockeylike due to being obviously from hockeyless countries. Of course, that doesn't preclude them from being funny or cool.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
seventieslord

You said it best. "he does score". I don't think he's great as a leader or defensively but he puts up points and he hits with reckless abandon. That can only be useful.

I've never been a big fan of him but I'm really not sure about Hunter's little strategy of playing him less when they're leading. Either you think the guy's a liability or you don't. If you do, then don't play him at all. History has shown that despite whatever deficiencies he has, he is clearly a net positive while on the ice. If Hunter feels the way he plays leads to more goals but also more goals against, he should probably just go with it. Perhaps Ovechkin is more likely to allow a goal, but he's even more likely to produce one. I don't always like questioning coaches, because what do I know, I'm just some leafs board fan boy. But Hunter seems like an easy target for this one.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:57 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Really? I'd say a Polish name sounds by default unhockeylike. Same with Spanish names like Gomez or Torres. Actually about 3/4 of the names you listed sound completely unhockeylike due to being obviously from hockeyless countries. Of course, that doesn't preclude them from being funny or cool.
Yeah, the definition of a good hockey name is an extremely subjective one. I think that it should be "cool", it should sound like a hockey player, and should really roll off your tongue. Bonus points for length. (Length doesn't save Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond from being perhaps the worst name ever, hockey or not)

What we can all agree on, is that the best hockey names of the generation past, were Zarley Zalapski, Jeff Beukeboom and Kelly Buchberger. Following that template of greatness I think the majority of names I chose are good ones. I mean, who can really argue with that top 8?

Until a player gets drafted with the last name Hammermeister, Zalapski is still my all-time choice. Rockett Power is really close though.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
You said it best. "he does score". I don't think he's great as a leader or defensively but he puts up points and he hits with reckless abandon. That can only be useful.

I've never been a big fan of him but I'm really not sure about Hunter's little strategy of playing him less when they're leading. Either you think the guy's a liability or you don't. If you do, then don't play him at all. History has shown that despite whatever deficiencies he has, he is clearly a net positive while on the ice. If Hunter feels the way he plays leads to more goals but also more goals against, he should probably just go with it. Perhaps Ovechkin is more likely to allow a goal, but he's even more likely to produce one. I don't always like questioning coaches, because what do I know, I'm just some leafs board fan boy. But Hunter seems like an easy target for this one.
I definitely like how they've separated him from Backstrom/Semin to cause some matchup problems for opponents.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:03 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Too bad that Sebastian Schweinsteiger plays football instead of hockey. I think 'Swineclimber' is about as ridiculously awesome name as it gets.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Wild D Clayton Stoner has an interesting name. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I speak French and think names such as Real Cloutier and Rejean Houle are cool, but I can understand why non French speakers may not care for them.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
I dont think Oliwa, Sidorkiewicz or Czerkawski sounds unhockeylike tho... best polish hockey name without a doubt: Jerzy Christ

Old
05-10-2012, 04:06 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

It's a shame that Ron Tugnutt and Radek Bonk retired. The Senators were my favorite team to play against in NHL 2000.

Old
05-10-2012, 05:55 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
I dont think Oliwa, Sidorkiewicz or Czerkawski sounds unhockeylike tho... best polish hockey name without a doubt: Jerzy Christ
I don't know what's hockeylike in Olive, TBH. Czerkawski is good, since it's basically like Hrkac... or simply Rattler when translated. Which actually is hockeylike.

Bonk was part of the Czech nat. team = German nat. team bunch along with Jagr, Reichel and Lang.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:25 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

The Nolan family is in the thick of hockey right now:

Ted Nolan's son, 6'3 227 lbs. Jordan is in the Western Conference Finals with a goal, +2 and fourth line minutes. According to The Hockey News, "Has excellent size and he uses it to play a gritty, agitating style with plenty of physicality." The significant thing is that the 22 year old has been in the line-up for each and every Kings game this post season after being a call up in the regular season, on his entry-level contract.

Ted Nolan is coaching Latvia in the 2012 World Championships and they had won back to back games after losing the opener to Russia on two Malkin goals. Then today, Latvia lost to the Czechs on a Petr Nedved goal (The guy still plays??).

Quote:
STOCKHOLM – Petr Nedved’s third period marker helped produce a Czech Republic win, further solidifying his team’s goal of moving into the quarterfinals of the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship.

The Czech Republic earned a 3-1 win over a rugged and competitive Latvian side that battled them throughout. For 50:50, Latvia and the Czech Republic were at a stalemate until Nedved seized the opportunity and change the course of the game.

"I think we played better as a team than in the last couple of games," said Ales Hemsky. "We played better in the neutral zone and moved the puck a little better. But they played well too."

Nedved took a long pass from and shook defender Kristaps Sotnieks, skated in alone on a break and scored forehand high on Edgars Masalskis.

Latvia and the Czech Republic were even most of the evening until Petr Nedved scored at 9:10 of the third period to give the Czech Republic the lead and the win.

With the win, the Czech Republic moved to third in their group with 8 points, just behind Sweden and Russia who have 12 apiece.

In six previous contests since 2000, Latvia has not beaten the Czech Republic, managing only a tie when they hosted the World Championship in 2006 in Riga. But this was a game that featured good scoring chances by both teams and quality goaltending.

"Teams like these have good players," said Hemsky. "They play a solid system, and everybody’s doing what the coach tells them. It’s always a tight game. It’s never an easy game here anymore."

As they have in their first three games of the tournament, Latvia scored the first goal of the game. Armands Berzins scored off a pass from Ronalds Kenins at 3:55 of the second period.

For Berzins it was his first goal of the World Championship; for Kenins it was his third point in as many games since being inserted into the lineup for game two against Germany.

The Czech Republic equalized the score 5:03 later when Milan Michalek converted a rebound to tie it 1-1. Jakub Nakladal sent the puck on goal that was saved by Masalskis. But Michalek picked up the biscuit and went backhand forehand and then in the net past the outstretched Masalskis.

The goal was Michalek’s first of the World Championship and came as both teams played four on four hockey. Guntis Galvins and Petr Prucha were both given roughing penalties at 7:36.

Latvia came into this game with the fourth best power play percentage in the tournament at 31% but could not capitalize on the man advantage they were given throughout the game.

For the 40-year-old Nedved, it was his first goal in four games.

"It was a nice breakaway and he’s a great player," said Hemsky of Nedved. "You can see his patience. He’s played for a long time, so he knows what to do."

Tomas Plekanec added a power play goal at 13:22 to seal the win.

For Latvia it was a solid effort. They now sit fourth in their group with six points and Norway on their heels with four. Their next game on Saturday is against Norway.
http://www.iihf.com/competition/272/...ash=d50e9311f3

Old
05-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

I wanted to say something about the Habs hiring French Canadians. People have made a big deal about it, but Quebec has it's own culture, outsiders may not view the issue the same way, and I don't think it's a big deal. I know someone who knows Bergevin, but he and his wife are not French Canadian and no one in their family speaks French. Of course he would listen to any offer, but he has a job and it would be tough for his family to adjust. I just wanted to give a different perspective on the issue and have people look at it from the prospective employee's viewpoint. No, I'm not going to name drop on a friend.

"Ducks sign coach Boudreau to 2-year extension (Yahoo! Sports) "- 2 hours ago"

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) The Anaheim Ducks have signed coach Bruce Boudreau to a two-year contract extension through 2014-15.
Gainey rejoining Stars as senior advisor (Yahoo! Sports) "- 7 hours ago"

FRISCO, Texas (AP) Bob Gainey is returning to the Dallas Stars as a senior advisor to the team."

Old
05-11-2012, 12:54 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
I must concur with Boone Jenner!
I was hanging out with Boone Jenner at the Oshawa Generals year-end banquet tonight.

And by "hanging out with", I mean eating a free meal 3 tables away from him.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:55 AM
jarek

Anyone else slightly creeped out by this?

Old
05-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
Anyone else slightly creeped out by this?
If you think that's creepy, check out the cover of the current issue of Time magazine. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...0,304585.story

Old
05-11-2012, 02:30 AM
jarek

Was that actually published? How on earth did that get past the editors?

Old
05-11-2012, 10:36 AM
seventieslord

That kid's got it figured out.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
I don't know what's hockeylike in Olive, TBH. Czerkawski is good, since it's basically like Hrkac... or simply Rattler when translated. Which actually is hockeylike.

Bonk was part of the Czech nat. team = German nat. team bunch along with Jagr, Reichel and Lang.
What does Tkachuk mean? Its a slavic name (I think the polish spelling is Tkazcuk)

Old
05-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

I laughed so hard at this one and then I thought about DaveG for some reason.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:52 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

I'd say weaver. Sounds Ukrainian though, not really Polish.

Old
05-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
I'd say weaver. Sounds Ukrainian though, not really Polish.
Its both (my guess because its slavic) Daniel Tkazcuk was polish but keith is ukranian iirc

Old
05-13-2012, 11:16 PM
BraveCanadian

This draft is dead..

Old
05-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
This draft is dead..
Everyone is eliminated.

05-14-2012, 10:04 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
It always gets slow at the end. When are we voting on this round?

Old
05-14-2012, 10:36 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Everyone is eliminated.
Personally I blame you and your sub-standard top 6 wingers.

Closed Thread