HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Hodgson Kassian Trade

Old
04-16-2012, 03:25 AM
n0rthstar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
This. Hodgsons asked for a trade numerous times. His contract was coming up and I think we could have seen a Turris situation. Also, hodgson started becoming invisible and a serious defensive liability when the games got tougher nearing the end of the season. His stock was at it's highest and the Canucks identified a weakness in there organization. A mean power forward with high potential. They made that move before his stock fell. Furthermore, hodgson would have to wait until henrik or Kesler dropped off before taking ice time away. You can't think of it as hodgson for kassian this post season. It's hodgson for Pahlsson. Kassian is for the future. They didn't wanna trade hodgson for a vet in Ufa years. Pahlsson is ten times better defensively and they realized that if hodgsons production was gonna drop they couldn't have him be a liability. Plus the Canucks could get a better young center while trading one of their goalies in the offseason. Is that good enough for you. /thread
Oh I fully understand why they traded him, the timing just seemed really off. Imagine Hodgson's value if he went on a deep successful playoff run with the nucks, I guess they didnt see that happening. Also, isnt the main priority to win the cup in the year they are PLAYING at all costs? Canucks are trying to win a Cup now are they not?

Hodgson would have helped with that more than Kassian is.

Again

my 2cents.

EDIT: Also, hard to think of it as Hodgson for Pahlsson

n0rthstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:28 AM
boredmale

Hodgson would have 1 point in the series if he was still in Vancouver and that one point would have been Game 3.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:58 AM
Zarpan

Hodgson had 5 goals in his last 33 games. He really was not going to be the answer to the Canucks scoring woes during these playoffs.

Zarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:27 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
This. Hodgsons asked for a trade numerous times. His contract was coming up and I think we could have seen a Turris situation. Also, hodgson started becoming invisible and a serious defensive liability when the games got tougher nearing the end of the season. His stock was at it's highest and the Canucks identified a weakness in there organization. A mean power forward with high potential. They made that move before his stock fell. Furthermore, hodgson would have to wait until henrik or Kesler dropped off before taking ice time away. You can't think of it as hodgson for kassian this post season. It's hodgson for Pahlsson. Kassian is for the future. They didn't wanna trade hodgson for a vet in Ufa years. Pahlsson is ten times better defensively and they realized that if hodgsons production was gonna drop they couldn't have him be a liability. Plus the Canucks could get a better young center while trading one of their goalies in the offseason. Is that good enough for you. /thread
The problem with this reasoning is that it isn't Hodgson or Pahlsson, it's Hodgson or Kassian. Pahlsson was acquired in a completely separate trade, so the option remained to have both. If you're talking about impact in this series, then you have to ask is it better having Kassian play 4th line minutes (right down to 3:55 in this game, despite holding his own IMO) or is it better to have Hodgson playing 3rd/4th line minutes and 2nd PP time?

Personally I think it makes a difference to the PP. Enough to change the results? No, probably not. But it also gives us more offensive flexibility, something which we have none of with Daniel out.

The future is a completely different question altogether, although arguments could be made either way.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:06 AM
HiddenInLight

I think the real fleecing of vancouver was Sulzer for Gragnini.....but for kassian/hodgson....I hope BZK works out better next year...he has a brutal case of lazy that will be hard for any coach to break....might ruin his career. It would be a shame to waste that much talent...

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:49 AM
n0rthstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
The problem with this reasoning is that it isn't Hodgson or Pahlsson, it's Hodgson or Kassian. Pahlsson was acquired in a completely separate trade, so the option remained to have both. If you're talking about impact in this series, then you have to ask is it better having Kassian play 4th line minutes (right down to 3:55 in this game, despite holding his own IMO) or is it better to have Hodgson playing 3rd/4th line minutes and 2nd PP time?

Personally I think it makes a difference to the PP. Enough to change the results? No, probably not. But it also gives us more offensive flexibility, something which we have none of with Daniel out.

The future is a completely different question altogether, although arguments could be made either way.
No way is Hodgson playing 3/4th line minutes right NOW. I bet he would be playing first/2nd line minutes if he was still with the nucks with where they are at right now.

n0rthstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
No way is Hodgson playing 3/4th line minutes right NOW. I bet he would be playing first/2nd line minutes if he was still with the nucks with where they are at right now.
I don't know about that, AV doth not ice the rookie. Case in point, Kassian's ice time when he hasn't been all that bad. It would give them that option though, and we don't really have any answers at the moment.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:11 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
You know Hodgson stunk down the stretch and played a large role in the Sabres not making the playoffs right?

Neither team won or lost yet.
Is this sarcasm? He was a big part of us being one of the best teams down the stretch and almost getting into the playoffs. We missed out on the playoffs in December and January.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:16 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
This.

IIRC he asked to be traded right after the SCF game 7. You really want to run deep at playoffs with that guy? And asked to be traded after that.

Canucks didn't know that they would lose Daniel Sedin. **** happens, it's hockey, it's sport.

But imo, they did make a mistake for not getting more out of CoHo. They could have gotten more to help short-term. Long-term, this might help them but it really doesn't give much comfort for now.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners

We wont know how much of a difference it would have made for Vancouver with Hodgson in the lineup, but all I know is that it was a horrible trade for them.

Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Is this sarcasm? He was a big part of us being one of the best teams down the stretch and almost getting into the playoffs. We missed out on the playoffs in December and January.
I was watching the games and he was on for some brutal defensive breakdowns. He looks even more feeble in a Sabres jersey. I don't like the kid anymore. Who asks for a trade the day after losing games seven of the cup finals.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
I was watching the games and he was on for some brutal defensive breakdowns. He looks even more feeble in a Sabres jersey. I don't like the kid anymore. Who asks for a trade the day after losing games seven of the cup finals.
The same kid who's teams medical staff almost ruined his career with the misdiagnosis or an injury but was good enough to wait until the season was over to say something.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:11 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Him being on the ice for goals against and saying that he was one of the main reasons we missed the playoffs are two different animals. He allowed us to have 3 scoring lines, which was key to our climb in the standings. He wasn't an all-star down the stretch, but he was MUCH more of a positive than a negative.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

We need to fire AV. It's time, coaches in the NHL have a shelf life and AVs has expired. He wanted to acquire toughness, we all know he had a hand in the Hodgson deal. Why bother bringing in Kassian and playing him 5 mins. per game? We could have atleast kept CoHo for the playoffs and traded him in the offseason, it's not as if Buffalo would magically have their centerman and reject the trade.

It was a poorly timed move. AV should have toughed it out for CoHo and tried to make the best of it. They reacted far too quickly to CoHo camp's complaints. Personally I'm fine with the trade, I think Kassian will be a good player. It's just the timing I'm not happy with.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:04 AM
ICareyTheTeamPRICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
You know Hodgson stunk down the stretch and played a large role in the Sabres not making the playoffs right?

Neither team won or lost yet.
DO u watch hockey?

ICareyTheTeamPRICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:05 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Neither Buffalo nor Vancouver have won a playoff game since the trade.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:22 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
I get that Kassian is young, but why trade for a guy that brings toughness that the Canucks needed and only use him so little?
Bingo.

given the team can't score right now, trading the guy with the best shot on the team for a guy you won't play significant minutes is a huge fail.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Afinogretzky

to say it was hodgson for pahlsson is just a stupid way to spin what was a **** trade.

pahlsson was acquired for draft picks.

kassian was acquired in exchange for hodgson. there is absolutely no reason why the nucks shouldn't have tried to acquire someone who could have an impact NOW. to say "kassian was acquired for the future" is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. what kind of cup contender downgrades from their 4th leader scorer to an AHL player sitting the bench? with an aging "core" nonetheless. it's laughable.

Afinogretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:25 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
How bad is it hurting Vancouver right now
As the guy who some say is the leader of the anit-canuck crowd--long term Vancouver will like this deal. Kassian will turn into a hartnell or doan--Hodgson was a third liner--this deal will work out for both teams. Hodgson was behind Kesler and Sedin

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogretzky View Post
to say it was hodgson for pahlsson is just a stupid way to spin what was a **** trade.

pahlsson was acquired for draft picks.

kassian was acquired in exchange for hodgson. there is absolutely no reason why the nucks shouldn't have tried to acquire someone who could have an impact NOW. to say "kassian was acquired for the future" is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. what kind of cup contender downgrades from their 4th leader scorer to an AHL player sitting the bench? with an aging "core" nonetheless. it's laughable.
You do realize Hodgson could barely make the NHL last season he was brutal in 8 games and Kassian is playing a lot better at the same age. The Canucks believe Kassian will turn into an offensive force. Our third line was the best line down stretch it was better than when Hodgson was on it. Higgins Pahlsson Hansen> Higgins Hodgson Hansen. It's not even close. Again it was Hodgson being replaced by Pahlsson. Kassina is for the future and to clean up the fourth line.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:02 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Gillis could had a lot more for Hodgson, but he wisely avoided to trade him inside the division/conference.

At least you wont have to face Hodgson 6 time per years in the future. It worth it.
Why did he trade him at all? Not like he had to.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Drij

I'd say Vancouver lost this one short term and long term.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:33 PM

as an outsiders POV couldnt the Canucks have just moved Hodgson up to the 2nd line and move kesler to 2nd line wing or 3rd line center? They could have filled in the toughness through the draft or UFA. Seems like poor asset management.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
0.53 with the Nucks, 0.4 with the Sabres.

Breaking it down further, 0.73 in Dec/Jan and 0.34 in Oct/Nov & Feb with the Nucks. Struggled a bit in Feb. His advanced stats were not great, but he did score get 5G 5A on the powerplay in Vancouver with not a great deal of PP time.
If you want to break this down even further...

Hodgson had 0 points in his first 10 games with Buffalo.

He had 8 points in his last 10 games with Buffalo.

It obviously took Hodgson a while to find his stride in Buffalo, but once he did, he really showed what he can do with top 6 time.

Kassian, on the other hand, has consistently seen his ice time fall in Vancouver.

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Pacem

Rumours are rumours. So far the only thing that has really come out is that Hodgson asked for more ice time, and that was something his agent said. I could be mistaken, but I haven't read anything where there is any truth to him wanted to be traded. I have not kept totally update on it besides some people selling papers making comments.

If Gillis truly didn't want to go into the playoffs with Hodgson because he asked for a trade after game 7, then Gillis is an idiot for not trading him during the off season. Saying that is the reason he was traded when he was, is a weak excuse, IMO.

I don't think the value of the trade was that bad. It fits both teams needs. The timing was absolutely retarded. It would have been a far better move to do it during the off season. Hodgson definitely was slumping with Vancouver at the time of the trade. He was also one of Vancouvers better players night in and night out when they were playing bad hockey in January.

Going into a playoff run, they made a trade for a player who wasn't ready to play for a player who could at least play. Hodgson is an offensive player, and when they traded him they lost another offensive option for their PP. They couldn't account for Sedin being injured. However, did they honestly expect to go on a deep playoff run with all their offensive options staying completely healthy? Usually a team looking to made a run for the cup trades a player that isn't ready for full time duty for a player that can play. Gillis went the other way around.

I was happy it went down when it did, because I don't like the Canucks. It might suck years down the road having my team face a guy like Kassian many times a year, but I see a lot of maybe's and ifs when it comes to his play and what the future brings for him.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote