HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Neal & Craig Adams suspended for Game 4; Arron Asham suspended for four games

Old
04-17-2012, 10:25 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
The hit on Couturier... I just timed it, was over 2 seconds after he had touched the puck.

Torres was 0.8 seconds.
Torres has a whole defence already. Shannys stupid video is all he needs to play at his hearing, take his zero games and go back to trying to hurt guys, just like Neal.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Torres has a whole defence already. Shannys stupid video is all he needs to play at his hearing, take his zero games and go back to trying to hurt guys, just like Neal.
Yep, a...

*Charge

*Interference

*Headshot

Is now fine apparently.

If you were 'bracing' ofc.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
The owners freaked when Shanny was laying out the law early on and told him to chill out with the multiple game suspensions. Saying that, Neal as a repeat offender and getting only on game is a joke. The players have no clue whats right or wrong. anymore. Oh well lets put these suckers to bed in game four and that is a great way to pay back Neal.
I don't have a real a problem with the length of the suspension. I just don't like the explanation. If they believe there was no attempt on Couturier and that it was just a collision, so be it. That explanation, though I find it hard to believe, I can deal with. But the Giroux hit's explanation is mind boggling. He was essentially suspended simply for charging. Then Shanny takes it upon himself to explain that he is a repeat offender, which would make me think he is going to go harder on him. Then he suspends him one game. Why mention the previous offenses if they aren't going to count for anything? It makes the explanation that much more flawed. They need to get someone else in there or just come up with a better system entirely.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't have a real a problem with the length of the suspension. I just don't like the explanation. If they believe there was no attempt on Couturier and that it was just a collision, so be it. That explanation, though I find it hard to believe, I can deal with. But the Giroux hit's explanation is mind boggling. He was essentially suspended simply for charging. Then Shanny takes it upon himself to explain that he is a repeat offender, which would make me think he is going to go harder on him. Then he suspends him one game. Why mention the previous offenses if they aren't going to count for anything? It makes the explanation that much more flawed. They need to get someone else in there or just come up with a better system entirely.
This.

If the one game was for the hit on Couturier, I would be...accepting of it. However, 0 games for that hit, and 1 for the hit on Giroux only because it came 45ish seconds after the previous hit? Laughable.

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:31 PM
bennysflyers16

If Torres gets anything, I hope Yotes file a grievance against NHL. Shanny just explained that those hits are OK.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Appleyard

It just should not be so subjective in every case...

Just like the law, yes, each case is viewed on it's individual merits, but within a framework... so murderers cannot be given 2 years in prison, and someone who stole a loaf of bread cannot be given 5 years!

Something like:

If repeat offender has to be at least a 2 game ban.

If last offence was within 6 months has to be a 3 game ban.

No offences for 3 years and slate wiped clean.

Not saying those rules should be in, as just trying to make examples, but they need a set framework of rules to justify the length of ban.

That way, even if people viewed it as unfair, at least everyone is treated the same.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
If Torres gets anything, I hope Yotes file a grievance against NHL. Shanny just explained that those hits are OK.
I don't buy the conspiracy theory crap... but you realized that that would basically require the NHL filing a grievance against itself, right?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:35 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I don't buy the conspiracy theory crap... but you realized that that would basically require the NHL filing a grievance against itself, right?
I don't think it's ridiculous to assume the league treats it's star players differently than it's journeymen, grinders and rookies. These suspensions prove it and it happens all the time in every sport.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I don't think it's ridiculous to assume the league treats it's star players differently than it's journeymen, grinders and rookies. These suspensions prove it and it happens all the time in every sport.
I meant the league-fixing-games-for-the-team-it-owns conspiracy. The one you mention is pretty obvious.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Last I checked, charging a player =/= bracing yourself.

Usually, the idea is to distribute the force through them so one does not have to "brace." Apparently all those years of hockey training vanished right at that moment.

He was really protecting himself ! Gotcha!

NOBLE NEAL! NOBLE NEAL! NOBLE NEAL!

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Brozgalov

Just for future reference, do we throw out Pens fans who come to our board and try to discuss things legitimately? I tried that over there and got banned from the thread within minutes... Just wondering...

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:58 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
Just for future reference, do we throw out Pens fans who come to our board and try to discuss things legitimately? I tried that over there and got banned from the thread within minutes... Just wondering...
Honestly, I really don't understand the urge of going to another team's board to have a discussion. Especially not when up 3-0. Of course they are gonna be annoyed.
There are plenty of Pens fans roaming the main board.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:59 PM
TyrannoMeszarosRex
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Ugh, I have a headache from reading the Pens board. Some of the posts include such topics as:

"Why wasn't Schenn suspended for charging if Neal was?"

"The Flyers got the league to give the suspensions by faking injuries and taking dives."

"The NHL perceives the Flyers as (get this) Angelic victims."

"Shanahan is only trying to please Laviolette because he complained to the media. Bylsma took the moral high road and it wound up hurting the team."

Unreal.
What a bunch of idiots. Do they actually believe the **** that comes out of their mouth or are they just trolling? Hypocrisy at it's finest.

TyrannoMeszarosRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Last I checked, charging a player =/= bracing yourself.

Usually, the idea is to distribute the force through them so one does not have to "brace." Apparently all those years of hockey training vanished right at that moment.

He was really protecting himself ! Gotcha!

NOBLE NEAL! NOBLE NEAL! NOBLE NEAL!
That was Neal's explanation after the game, and Shanahan swallowed it like a sucker. The fact that Neal tracked Couturier and jumped into him should have told Shanahan all he needed to know about that BS excuse.

Kerry Fraser:

Quote:
The fact James Neal left his feet and moved slightly right into Couturier prior to impact eliminates any free pass I might have given the Pens star that this was just an accidental collision. James Neal saw Sean Couturier on the road ahead and in his lane.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:05 PM
BernieParent

There is just no logic in this league anymore. Someone mentioned the Boulerice 25 game suspension. There was also the Downie 20 gamer. Nice job setting a precendent on Flyers and then forgetting about it afterwards!

Part of me wonders if the delay today was Shanahan wanting to suspend them for longer, but being overruled.

Shameful.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Devastate

Ovechkin scores a goal, and braces for collision. Never saw the glass coming!

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:14 PM
nightstalker78
Rookie User

First post.Been browsing these boards for awhile.I gotta say some of you flyers fans are making me embarrassed to be one.All the whining I've read the last two days about this is getting old.I can bet if it had been Rinaldo or say Shelley you would all be okay with what was given out.In fact,most of you probably wouldn't even be calling for one.You've all become no better then the whiney penguin fans you ***** about all the time.With that said,the best revenge is to do what we've been doing and get the sweep tomorrow.

nightstalker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:15 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Heads up anyone who is okay with the suspension, and hasn't seen that clown shanahans explanation video, don't watch.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Honestly, I really don't understand the urge of going to another team's board to have a discussion. Especially not when up 3-0. Of course they are gonna be annoyed.
There are plenty of Pens fans roaming the main board.
Different perspectives. Talking with fans from other fan bases who aren't completely insane can expand your knowledge on certain subjects. I haven't gone to the Pens board but I enjoy roaming a bit. As good as the Flyers boards are many of the discussions will hold an obvious home based bias.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:22 PM
mibro0224

Does it really really bother anyone else that part of the explanation was: no injury. There EASILY could have been a serious injury on either play.

League discipline is a joke. Let's just end this tomorrow and move on.

mibro0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker78 View Post
First post.Been browsing these boards for awhile.I gotta say some of you flyers fans are making me embarrassed to be one.All the whining I've read the last two days about this is getting old.I can bet if it had been Rinaldo or say Shelley you would all be okay with what was given out.In fact,most of you probably wouldn't even be calling for one.You've all become no better then the whiney penguin fans you ***** about all the time.With that said,the best revenge is to do what we've been doing and get the sweep tomorrow.
Bye bye.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker78 View Post

You definitely haven't been paying much attention around here if you think so many here are such blind supporters of Rinaldo and Shelley.

Edit: On top of that, I think most people here are baffled at the general state of league discipline more than anything else. The whole system is a mess.

04-17-2012, 11:28 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Different perspectives. Talking with fans from other fan bases who aren't completely insane can expand your knowledge on certain subjects. I haven't gone to the Pens board but I enjoy roaming a bit. As good as the Flyers boards are many of the discussions will hold an obvious home based bias.
Well, yeah. I get that. I post a lot on the main boards, and at times on the boards of other teams.
But there's a series thread on the main boards to do exactly that. I imagine a lot of Pens fans don't want to bother with other fans (especially Flyers fans) right now, so they stay on their own board to avoid the various **** people throw at them.
And when Flyers fans still insist on starting a discussion with them on their own board they get annoyed. Can't be shocked by that. They're never gonna share our view point here.

I read their board, too - and saw the discussion going on between them and Brozgalov -, but I don't see the point in posting there right now.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
No, but it's to be expected with those whiners. I actually played it straight and posted that 'Open Letter to Pens fans' in their 'Say something Positive Thread' and got away with it!!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
That was Neal's explanation after the game, and Shanahan swallowed it like a sucker. The fact that Neal tracked Couturier and jumped into him should have told Shanahan all he needed to know about that BS excuse.

Kerry Fraser:
How would you all feel about Kerry Fraser as League Disciplinarian?

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote