HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Allen, Dean Chynoweth & Ryan Ward Not Renewed

Old
04-16-2012, 03:58 PM
CodeE

vCash: 500
1. Finish terribly, again.
2. Blame the GM and Coach.
3. Assistant coaches get fired.
4. Whine and complain that they didn't deserve it.

Come on people, if Allen and Chynoweth were so good, we wouldn't be the 4th worst team in the NHL.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Please make sure the new coaches have no association with Massachusetts
Too narrow. NO ASSOCIATION WITH NEW ENGLAND! NOT EVEN COLLEGE! It's a brutal area of the country. I'm not even joking.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Symon Asher

I assume they will not be replaced as a cost cutting move. Weight will add video coach to his job description as Assistant GM and Assistant Coach

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:18 PM
JTforPres2012

Why replace the assistants when JT is drawing up the plays?

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Hip Of Rick

vCash: 50
Meh, don't really care about this move until replacements are named.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Hipietro

Of course Capuano stays, right Wang? You ****ing ********.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:36 PM
stranger34

Bummed for Chynoweth. I teach his little girl tennis on weekends and she is awesome! I used to ask her about players. Loved Hamonic, Martin, and Montoya. Had good things to say about everyone. Then I once dared to ask her what she thought about Rick DiPietro...

"He's TERRRRRRIBLLLEEEEEE!!!!! and hes signed for 9 more years!"

thus we have an inside scoop on why DC is out of a job

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Unless they changed the rules you can play and coach at the same time, though no one these days would do something as dopey as that unless they were trying to save money. Uh oh.

A Question For Everyone: What if they don't fill the positions to save money?
Rick 'Reg Dunlop' DiPietro

On a serious note, were both leftover from the Gordo administration? It's hard for me to give this organization the benefit of the doubt -- ever -- but maybe they're letting Cappy put his own staff in place?

On a less serious note (hopefully), I can't completely rule out DP back there as if he doesn't retire, Wang gets an asst coach and a cap hit for the price of one. FCW.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:28 PM
malPHONEY

As much as Scottie Allen is a good guy, we'd hate him of he was the head coach.

I wish we'd just get the firing of Capuano over with already. I know the Islanders are trying to establish some sort of continuity so they're not the team that fires it's head coach every year. Yet, his departure is an inevitability.

Can't we start next season with a blank slate? Nope, we're the Islanders.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post

Come on people, if Allen and Chynoweth were so good, we wouldn't be the 4th worst team in the NHL.
Perhaps they were the reason the Isles were so bad.
Maybe Cappy was being held back by them.

Oh yeah:

Last edited by PWJunior: 04-16-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Don't do that
Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Gleb2006

Really? Allen goes but Capuano stays

ugh

I loved Scott Allen the most of anybody in the Islanders organization, I hope he has success wherever he goes

Last edited by Gleb2006: 04-16-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Gleb2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:14 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
how much money do assistant coaches make ?
Free tickets to every game. One hot dog and a small soda, we are talking about Islander's assistant coaches right ?

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:26 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
I hope Thompson would be smart enough to reject an assistant coach offer only to hold out for a head coaching job. We all know Weight is being groomed so taking an assistant job would not make him any closer to the head coaching job with the Isles.
Wang did not renew their contracts. They weren't fired per se. So Wang just kept these guys on this year so he didn't have to fire and pay another grouping. Notice that has nothing to do with winning, just money. Winners absurd these things to try to win.

Thompson is an all in the family loyalist. He gets a bump in pay. Grahame coaches the AHL team.

Either way, is Cappy really picking HIS assistants? Heck no. Wang/Snow/weight are.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Guess Barney and George Jetson are unemployed?

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:50 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Rick 'Reg Dunlop' DiPietro

On a serious note, were both leftover from the Gordo administration? It's hard for me to give this organization the benefit of the doubt -- ever -- but maybe they're letting Cappy put his own staff in place?

On a less serious note (hopefully), I can't completely rule out DP back there as if he doesn't retire, Wang gets an asst coach and a cap hit for the price of one. FCW.
I think so. On the change most clubs would have asked the coach to change his staff somewhat at will, but I expect Wang wanted to wait until their contracts expired to save money.

If he does get to pick his staff guess what we get? Just like an old teacher once told me about the President once. "You better hope he doesn't die, because most people hire people less than themselves." Cap is challenged to coach on this level, and that's being nice about it. I can only fear what he would bring in.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:04 PM
cjdv16

Sad to hear about Scott Allen. Likable guy. Real nice guy as a person and he seemed to have pride and integrity.

For those thinking that this is a sign of things to come, think again. Like all inept managers and leaders, this is simply another case of firing the wrong people and creating a smoke screen.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Pnut

Quote:
I think so. On the change most clubs would have asked the coach to change his staff somewhat at will, but I expect Wang wanted to wait until their contracts expired to save money.
I don't understand, is it assumed that it doesnt matter who comes in as assistants they will make more than the previous assistant coaches (whether the old ones were fired or they let their contracts run out)?? For a organization that as a whole is known as such a penny pincher?
Quote:
If he does get to pick his staff guess what we get? Just like an old teacher once told me about the President once. "You better hope he doesn't die, because most people hire people less than themselves." Cap is challenged to coach on this level, and that's being nice about it. I can only fear what he would bring in.
Yes I agree especially the last few VPs weren't the brightest lightbulbs.

But as many have pointed out in other threads Weight is smarter than Cappy and maybe with some arm twisting (by Wang and Snow) another guy (just one new assistant is enough) can improve things so much results wise next season. A new coach that is better than Cappy (like Weight) and therefore will bring Cappys game up??? I know it sounds crazy, but Cappy can't get worse!

Hey hiring a better coaching staff means that the team might be that much better with a year older team + people having consistent years (Okposo and Bailey, I'm looking at you) + a better coaching staff = that we make the playoffs next season and Cappy gets an extension instead of fired ?Crazy?

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:31 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
I don't understand, is it assumed that it doesnt matter who comes in as assistants they will make more than the previous assistant coaches (whether the old ones were fired or they let their contracts run out)?? For a organization that as a whole is known as such a penny pincher?

Yes I agree especially the last few VPs weren't the brightest lightbulbs.

But as many have pointed out in other threads Weight is smarter than Cappy and maybe with some arm twisting (by Wang and Snow) another guy (just one new assistant is enough) can improve things so much results wise next season. A new coach that is better than Cappy (like Weight) and therefore will bring Cappys game up??? I know it sounds crazy, but Cappy can't get worse!

Hey hiring a better coaching staff means that the team might be that much better with a year older team + people having consistent years (Okposo and Bailey, I'm looking at you) + a better coaching staff = that we make the playoffs next season and Cappy gets an extension instead of fired ?Crazy?
Are you sure they are hiring anyone to back fill? I count at least two positions that have remained vacant. One being the director of scouting during a rebuild no less. I bet Chuckie pooh has been to at least kindergarten deck hockey game and noticed only one coach behind the bench, then thrown it out during snuggle movie night with Snow & Lil' Ricky that cutting back on coaches would open more leg room for the head coach to walk around on during games looking like a lost little puppy dog.

On your first question, he let their contracts expire as opposed to cutting them last summer, and paying them and their replacements. Sorry for not being clear...

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
I guess Cappy has some friends out of work.
Technically they were Gordon's friends Capuano just inherited them.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Bummed for Chynoweth. I teach his little girl tennis on weekends and she is awesome! I used to ask her about players. Loved Hamonic, Martin, and Montoya. Had good things to say about everyone. Then I once dared to ask her what she thought about Rick DiPietro...

"He's TERRRRRRIBLLLEEEEEE!!!!! and hes signed for 9 more years!"

thus we have an inside scoop on why DC is out of a job
But she loves Montoya? She might know about one goalie but I wouldn't trust her beyond that lol.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post

THIS!!

listen they may be nice guys and I also loved hearing Allen in between periods but in the end coaching staff was a FN joke and this is probably just a cost cutting measure by our cheap ass owner but regardless of the fact. When a 21 yr old star player is drawing plays and your coach and assistants are staring at awe... SOMEBODY HAS GOT TO GO!!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Nyifan12

How about Eric Cairns as an assistant?

Nyifan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Someone on twitter today posted a reminder that these are Scott Gordon left overs????

04-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Someone on twitter today posted a reminder that these are Scott Gordon left overs????
Whats the question?

Yes, they were both Gordon left overs. Remember that Gordon had Nolan's leftovers as well his first year. Gordon actually came out and said (via Botta) that he had a choice but decided to stick with Nolan's guys (Lacroix and Gallant) because both were professionals and he preferred to not make waves. But once their contracts expired, he got new assistants as well (Allen and Dean).

I wish I could find that article in which Botta discusses the situation of hiring assistants right after Gordon was hired.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:13 PM
majormet

I think they had to go, but probably because their contracts ran out. These guys have been part of 3 losing seasons.

I think Staios will be the asst coach on defense, while Weight will be the offensive asst coach until Cappy gets canned around game #22

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote