HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

James Neal suspended 1 game. Asham 4. Adams 1.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Pens1566

vCash: 500
Not sure how the game for Neal can be justified after letting Weber go without a suspension. Asham got a little less than I expected actually.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Definitely. I'm 25 so when the Pens won in '09 I was graduating college and had a few months off before I started my job. So at the time it was a huge deal since I had nothing else to occupy my time. Three years later and I've gained a lot of perspective. I'm married and have a career. That definitely takes away from how attached I feel to being a fan of a hockey team.

The only point I was trying to make was that I don't see crying as a negative thing which I felt was being hinted at in the last few pages. Like I said some get angry and smash things, others get sad or disappointed and shed a few tears. Different strokes for different folks.
I think when you realize like I did that them winning doesn't pay the bills, etc, you get some real perspective.

For me my daughter, wife and family is what is important in life. When I was a teen, I lived and breathed hockey.

Your priorities just change as you get older, but I see no harm in someone being sad or crying. Just throwing stuff and acting like a fool isn't the kind of example I want to set for my daughter, and my wife deserves better.

If they lose tonight, then we get to have a more exciting than usual offseason speculating what will happen, even if nothing does come about as I suspect.

Always gotta find the positives in life... Why dwell on miserable things?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I think when you realize like I did that them winning doesn't pay the bills, etc, you get some real perspective.

For me my daughter, wife and family is what is important in life. When I was a teen, I lived and breathed hockey.

Your priorities just change as you get older, but I see no harm in someone being sad or crying. Just throwing stuff and acting like a fool isn't the kind of example I want to set for my daughter, and my wife deserves better.

If they lose tonight, then we get to have a more exciting than usual offseason speculating what will happen, even if nothing does come about as I suspect.

Absolutely. Great post.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:48 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Losing sleep or stressing over sports is yet another typical example of "first world problems" in my opinion. When you're a kid and you have little else to really worry about then it makes sense to get so caught up in it. As an adult though you do tend to put things into perspective and realize that certain things just aren't worth your mental, physical, and emotional health.

No shame in being dedicated and passionate to your favorite team(s) though. I myself am just as dedicated and passionate about the Pens now at almost 30 as I was in my teens. Am I going to lose sleep over getting bounced from the post-season though? Not at all.

As you pointed out, we always have plenty to look forward to for next season. We'll still have two of the best players in the world on our roster, complimented by some other world class talent. It's not as though this is a make or break season for us by any means.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efs5030 View Post
Schenn got called for charging... Don't get why you guys are still whining. And Schenns hit wasn't aimed for Martins head. Neal's shot at Giroux was clearly a headshot...
shame Neal didn't connect a little better

66877168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Not sure how the game for Neal can be justified after letting Weber go without a suspension. Asham got a little less than I expected actually.
Weber is a bigger star. That's it. Both deserved suspensions.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66877168 View Post
shame Neal didn't connect a little better
Yeah, then Flyers fans would ACTUALLY have something to whine about, nothing connected, no injuries, yet they want Neal suspended 20 games.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
Couldn't agree more. Losing sleep or stressing over sports is yet another typical example of "first world problems" in my opinion. When you're a kid and you have little else to really worry about then it makes sense to get so caught up in it. As an adult though you do tend to put things into perspective and realize that certain things just aren't worth your mental, physical, and emotional health.

No shame in being dedicated and passionate to your favorite team(s) though. I myself am just as dedicated and passionate about the Pens now at almost 30 as I was in my teens. Am I going to lose sleep over getting bounced from the post-season though? Not at all.

As you pointed out, we always have plenty to look forward to for next season. We'll still have two of the best players in the world on our roster, complimented by some other world class talent. It's not as though this is a make or break season for us by any means.
We are lucky, we get to watch two of the best players in the world. In Dec I remember people ready to jump off a bridge because they insisted Crosby was never going to play again.

Now some of the same people are mad because he.... Pushed a glove away from a guy he doesn't like... Oh nos!

This team is still young, I feel pretty confident in thinking we have many years of great hockey ahead of us. I am confident Morrow will be manning this PP by this time next season and that has me excited as hell and I am looking fwd to him pissing on the Flyers, Rags, Caps, etc.

We have a ton to look fwd to, I don't get the doomsayers.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Speaking of trolling and brooms, I was 11 when the Pens beat the Hawks. One of my schoolmates was a Chicago fan and I brought in a broom to school and gave it to him! What a ****** I was!

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Whakahere

vCash: 903
Send a message via MSN to Whakahere
Quote:

we either and all the people that want to blow up this team. People don't thin we "were" the favorite because we had sid, malkin and staal it was because our overall team looked very strong.

sadily we have plain sucked but we still have a very strong core.

Whakahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I thought Neal deserved a one game suspension for the hit on Couts. He hit a guy without the puck and left his feet. I'll just pretend they suspended him for that because suspending him for a headshot that didn't even connect much or cause an injury is ridiculously ticky-tac.

Last edited by Captain Hook: 04-18-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:17 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
We are lucky, we get to watch two of the best players in the world. In Dec I remember people ready to jump off a bridge because they insisted Crosby was never going to play again.

Now some of the same people are mad because he.... Pushed a glove away from a guy he doesn't like... Oh nos!

This team is still young, I feel pretty confident in thinking we have many years of great hockey ahead of us. I am confident Morrow will be manning this PP by this time next season and that has me excited as hell and I am looking fwd to him pissing on the Flyers, Rags, Caps, etc.

I honestly couldn't care less about this fairweather fans. Between that and starting a thread on the playoff board "apologizing" for our game 3 antics, I think I'm more turned off by our own fanbase in this series than Philly's.

Old
04-18-2012, 02:18 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Yeah, then Flyers fans would ACTUALLY have something to whine about, nothing connected, no injuries, yet they want Neal suspended 20 games.
Steckel should've gotten the death penalty in that case.

Old
04-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I honestly couldn't care less about this fairweather fans. Between that and starting a thread on the playoff board "apologizing" for our game 3 antics, I think I'm more turned off by our own fanbase in this series than Philly's.
Really? It had to be a troll... Can't imagine any long time Pens fans giving two left balls what other fans think.

These playoffs have been ****ing brutal.... It is only halfway through the first round... At this rate there won't be anyone left to play because they will all be suspended.

Did Rag fans apologize for their dirty play? What about Nashville?

Wait... I bet Coyote fans apologized because they tried to kill Hossa... But Hawk fans accepted the apology because Keith is the devil... Nuck fans wanted an apology from Hawk fans, but everyone hates the Nucks, but Oiler fans who are tankers.

Old
04-18-2012, 03:41 PM
LIPensFan98

I'm actually happy about the Neal suspension. I don't think he deserves it based on other decisions by Shanny but I think it helps the Pens in the longer run.

They win tonight without Neal. Then they come home, get back a HUGE offensive threat/40 goal scorer. That would give this team a huge boost and hopefully enough to win 5. If the series gets to 6, I can't see the Pens losing.

LIPensFan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 04:46 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Really? It had to be a troll... .
unfortunately no, it was a regular poster IIRC

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
unfortunately no, it was a regular poster IIRC
I don't understand... But whatever.

I guess hockey is the new golf and I missed the memo on the cover sheets.

Old
04-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Terrapin

Quote:

Good posts you guys. I agree. I was 17'ish back in 91-92. I lived and died with each game. Now, I still rarely miss watching a game. I think I've missed about 5 in the last 3 years, much to my wifes dismay. But winning or losing doesn't effect me whatsoever, except giving me something to do every other night. However, I still do find myself getting way more worked up over games than I should.

And, this may sound sadistic or something, but there's nothing funnier than listening to talk radio, reading forums, etc after big losses. The day after the Steelers lost to Denver, listening to 93.7 all day had me laughing my ass off.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:24 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
I don't understand... But whatever.

I guess hockey is the new golf and I missed the memo on the cover sheets.
yeah, i've seen enough of the crap they try to do to us that i dont care either.

for years, we've taken that stuff and tucked our tail. lately we've arguably been a tougher and more gritty team(not this year) as well as holding the edge with fights.

so we were finally able to build a team to deal with that (keeping up with the jones') if they're the aggressor once in a while...so be it

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
yeah, i've seen enough of the crap they try to do to us that i dont care either.

for years, we've taken that stuff and tucked our tail. lately we've arguably been a tougher and more gritty team(not this year) as well as holding the edge with fights.

so we were finally able to build a team to deal with that (keeping up with the jones') if they're the aggressor once in a while...so be it
Yeah funny how that works. Philly's been the dirtiest, toughest team for 45 years. Boston is huge and tough. So are the Rags. They all stir **** up, fight, hit, etc. But that's just 'good, hard play' I guess. The Pens for some reason should just stand around and take it, like they did decades ago.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote