HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Neal suspended 1 game. Asham 4. Adams 1.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:07 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

vCash: 500
You just can't talk hockey in terms of defending players with friends who support the enemy. Mostly, i keep it light hearted. "Did you see Crosby shove that glove!?". My response "I know. What a punk." in a sarcastic tone.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
You just can't talk hockey in terms of defending players with friends who support the enemy. Mostly, i keep it light hearted. "Did you see Crosby shove that glove!?". My response "I know. What a punk." in a sarcastic tone.
Well, when they're posting stuff on your facebook wall (and, as said before, these are local people to me that I've known IRL for YEARS) like "I dare you to defend this ****. I can't be friends with someone who'd be a fan of these ********. You're no better than them for being a fan of them.", and doing everything they can to dance around the words "YOU DID THIS!", yeah...

I'm not the one who initiated it with them.

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:14 PM
PPPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
A girl I was best friends with in high school is in town the next few months, but lives in Philly.

We're civil. I always assumed people from Philly became zombie creatures who say that everyone sucks. Not true apparently.
Haha I used to go to school at State College where there was is a huge mix of Pitt/Philly. I found the thing that unites us is also what divides us, hatred of eachothers team. Which is a bit weird but as fans we love to hate, we need the rivals, it makes winning so much sweeter.

So as a Flyers fan I love that we seem to have the edge now, and trust me, I rub it into my pitt friends. But I also know it won't last and eventually it will come back the other way and when it does it will be horrible (i only have to look back about 3 years for an example). So while i disdain the penguins I think it would crush me if they were to ever fold somehow/change divisions/crosby's career ending.

PPPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGoalie View Post
I won't defend Hartnell for the biting incident, but he hasn't done anything dirty in a long while, and never really was much of a head hunter or cheap shot artist.

As for Schenn running around, he is playing a clean game. If you think his crosscheck on Crosby was dirty you must have missed Crosby running at him well after the puck was gone. His hits this series have all been legal. The hit on Martin was not worse than what Neal did because the puck was actually present. The video clearly shows his feet were planted at the moment of impact, which Neal's clearly were not.

Grossman's hit was knee on knee. It was almost the same play as what happened with Orpik on Stepan, which I thought was suspension worthy, so I won't argue that. I thought both Grossman's hit, and Orpik's on Stepan, were suspension worthy, but both also did not look to be intentional or malicious. I thought they were reckless and irresponsible hits. If Grossman were to be suspended I would not argue it in the least, although I'm not sure I would classify it, or Orpik's as "dirty," as I don't think the intent was there.
I don't have a problem with Hartnell, except for his repulsive ugliness. He's a pest, a ******, and a tool, but I'd like to have him on this team. He'd need a haircut though.

The Neal hit on Couts was bad because he left his feet. Schenn on Martin was bad because Martin was engaged with another player, and was in a defenseless position. I don't mind if Neal gets a game for it. But having seen him play for a little over a year now, I don't see any history of this stuff from him.

Grossman's knee on knee was cheap, but that type of play is still pretty common. No biggie.

I watched the Asham hit about 100 times, and the only thing dirty about it was the little punch when Schenn was down. Someone retaliating with a crosscheck to the chest is something that happens probably 5 or 10 times a game. Just so happened that Schenn wilted like a dying flower. I don't mind Asham getting a game either, but I don't think there was anything dirty about that play except for the punch.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:16 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
Well, when they're posting stuff on your facebook wall (and, as said before, these are local people to me that I've known IRL for YEARS) like "I dare you to defend this ****. I can't be friends with someone who'd be a fan of these ********. You're no better than them for being a fan of them.", and doing everything they can to dance around the words "YOU DID THIS!", yeah...

Heh. OK i understand now. Thats pretty harsh. My IRL friends who i've known for years would never do that.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:18 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
So, people who were RL friends of mine before this series are no longer friends of mine.

They're actually holding me personally responsible for Neal and Asham's actions.

I'm serious.
Mine get pissed at me when I'll admit after a game that we were out-classed. They tell me to "nut-up" and "stop trying to take the high road."

Probably pisses them off that I won't be baited into anything from them. Also shuts them up quicker.

God love 'em when they're not playing the Pens or another one of my teams, though.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Terrapin

Quote:

No offense, but I think your friends need to get a life.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:20 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I don't have a problem with Hartnell, except for his repulsive ugliness. He's a pest, a ******, and a tool, but I'd like to have him on this team. He'd need a haircut though.

The Neal hit on Couts was bad because he left his feet. Schenn on Martin was bad because Martin was engaged with another player, and was in a defenseless position. I don't mind if Neal gets a game for it. But having seen him play for a little over a year now, I don't see any history of this stuff from him.

Grossman's knee on knee was cheap, but that type of play is still pretty common. No biggie.

I watched the Asham hit about 100 times, and the only thing dirty about it was the little punch when Schenn was down. Someone retaliating with a crosscheck to the chest is something that happens probably 5 or 10 times a game. Just so happened that Schenn wilted like a dying flower. I don't mind Asham getting a game either, but I don't think there was anything dirty about that play except for the punch.
I think both will play a factor. The initial contact wasn't to the head and Schenn was right back in the game. Thems are the facts. As for Neal. I thought the Giroux hit looked more intentional. The Couturier hit. Geno was right there. Neal could've been trying to jump around the contact and hit him square on.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
I think both will play a factor. The initial contact wasn't to the head and Schenn was right back in the game. Thems are the facts. As for Neal. I thought the Giroux hit looked more intentional. The Couturier hit. Geno was right there. Neal could've been trying to jump around the contact and hit him square on.
I just don't know what Neal was thinking. I'm sure he was past the point of caring, and trying to deliver a 'message'. It was still pretty lame though. Maybe they should have delivered that message during game 2. Or delivered it by killing a penalty, making a save, clearing the zone, etc. Whatever.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:25 PM
KaylaJ
I like stories

Most of my non Penguin fans are those of teams who have been in the same situation and know soon it could all come crashing down. They even have a dark humour when their team is doing well so it is fun. The people who blame me for actions I am not involved in or dished it but couldn't take it were long ago left by the wayside.

KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Nothin yet?

Dovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:27 PM
KaylaJ
I like stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
Nothin yet?
We haven't even heard anything on the Shaw case, so I'm guessing it'll all come out at once or he'll take his time and we won't know til at earliest tomorrowish so he can deal with everything since the next game isn't til Wednesday.

KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:28 PM
st5801

I'm a Pens fan, and I would say...

Neal - 1 game. The hit on Couturier was dirty and is a clear suspension. The hit on Giroux was high, but I don't think he was targeting his head.

Asham - 2 games. I understand that kind of cross check can happen and he may not have been targeting the head, but you have to be under some level of control. Plus, the punch to the head when he was down can't be excused.

Last edited by st5801: 04-16-2012 at 06:55 PM.
st5801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
We haven't even heard anything on the Shaw case, so I'm guessing it'll all come out at once or he'll take his time and we won't know til at earliest tomorrowish so he can deal with everything since the next game isn't til Wednesday.
Damn, i wanna know nowwwww.

Old
04-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Sager
U talkin to me punk?

Nealer won't get a suspension. He's a superstar.

www.nhlwheelofjustice.com

Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:32 PM
mpp9

For the sake of getting Vitale in the lineup, I want Asham out for the series.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

The results will likely get bad reactions from the main board, they want blood.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:14 PM

Neal should get a $5000 fine and Ash shouldn't get anything.

IMO what Weber did was way worse.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGoalie View Post
Our players were punished for their actions. The same should go the other way. That's fair right?
Did Derrian Hatcher get suspended for knocking out Crosby's teeth with a cross check?

Steve Durbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
st5801

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Neal should get a $5000 fine and Ash shouldn't get anything.

IMO what Weber did was way worse.
You can't fine someone more than $2500. The team could be fined for anything beyond that if the NHL thinks its appropriate.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:32 PM
stygian16*

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5801 View Post
You can't fine someone more than $2500. The team could be fined for anything beyond that if the NHL thinks its appropriate.
..2 hearings

stygian16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Mike Keenan was blabbing that we're out of control and that we need our leadership starting with our head coach. Pretty sure he called him Bylsmith.

Dude looked right at the video of the Schenn charge and only criticized Asham. They also failed to show the Grossmann knee or criticize any of the Flyers dirty plays. The hockey coverage we get really is horrible.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:43 PM
st5801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Mike Keenan was blabbing that we're out of control and that we need our leadership starting with our head coach. Pretty sure he called him Bylsmith.

Dude looked right at the video of the Schenn charge and only criticized Asham. They also failed to show the Grossmann knee or criticize any of the Flyers dirty plays. The hockey coverage we get really is horrible.
Its the most important part of the season, and we're taking bad penalties and getting key guys suspended. I'm the biggest Pens fan you'll find, but I don't see how the lack of leadership and discipline can be defended. Yes, the media are idiots, and yes, there are other dirty players out there, but we're the ones down 3-0 in the series and giving up an absurd number of goals.

Old
04-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5801 View Post
Its the most important part of the season, and we're taking bad penalties and getting key guys suspended. I'm the biggest Pens fan you'll find, but I don't see how the lack of leadership and discipline can be defended. Yes, the media are idiots, and yes, there are other dirty players out there, but we're the ones down 3-0 in the series and giving up an absurd number of goals.
No key guys are getting suspended. Asham is a 4th line plug, Adams a 4th line plug and PK'er on an atrocious PK. Neal won't be suspended. They didn't take any stupid penalties in the first two games other than Letang's puck over the glass in game 2. Game 3 was already in the bag by the time the shenanigans started.

As for leadership, it's one of those things people say you have when you win and you don't if you lose. Everybody in the media loved NFL coach Rex Ryan his first couple years for his outgoing and player friendly attitude, last year they missed the playoffs and it's because he's not strict enough, too player friendly not enough of a hardass. Eli Manning wasn't a take charge enough guy, too meek everybody said early in his career, couple of Super Bowls later, most clutch player in the league. Both dudes are the same as they were, but perception changes on outcome.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:53 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

If Neal gets suspended, I will hand in my hockey watching membership. Asham will probably get something for the little rabbit punch but the hit itself was just a retaliation. His stick came up after the hit and cut Schenn.

Not one of the Flyers was actually hurt, which seems to be a big determining factor in suspensions at the moment.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote