HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Watch Part 2

Old
06-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

vCash: 500
As I've said a few times, I'd hang onto the 2013 pick for flexibility reasons. Namely it's available as currency at the deadline if we're in contention.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
As I've said a few times, I'd hang onto the 2013 pick for flexibility reasons. Namely it's available as currency at the deadline if we're in contention.
So would the prospect we get with it if its a good pick no? Saad would have probably returned a lot more for Chicago than a 2nd rounder next year.

This draft was gonna be the best draft ever as well.

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 02:34 PM
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
why would we trade up?
Why not trade up we need someone with some skill at center, and if we never posture up to make the move then how can you complain about the lack of talent at that position?

CAPITAL PUNISHMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:02 PM
IkeaMonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwegand View Post
Why not trade up we need someone with some skill at center, and if we never posture up to make the move then how can you complain about the lack of talent at that position?
Lack of talent on Defense? I wouldn't complain about that.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:57 PM
thewill78

Idk what you guys think of Craig Buttons rankings for the draft but he has Ryan Murray at 13 and Grigirinko at 20.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

thewill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewill78 View Post
Idk what you guys think of Craig Buttons rankings for the draft but he has Ryan Murray at 13 and Grigirinko at 20.

Who is this Jankowski kid? I don't care if he's in a Beer League, a C who scores 50+ goals gets my attention.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:06 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewill78 View Post

craig button is an idiot, you might as well trust don cherry

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Atlas

I haven't seen either kid play but I like what I'm hearing about Lindholm and the Russian goalie.

I have followed the draft very closely for many years--the highly rated Swedes come through a lot of times. Remember when we took Nolan Baumgartner over what's his name? Vancouver drafted him around 14 overall and he was solid as a rock for over a decade. I'm feeble and can't get his name. Baumgartner went around 10 overall, was highly regarded as a top D prospect and just didn't make it for whatever reasons.

Erik Karlsson also went a lot later than he should've. I don't know...of course, I don't have any thought that Lindholm will be a star...I'm only putting together all the good things I've been reading about him with what I've seen of the NHL Draft since about 1985. Lindholm might be a Calle Johansson type. I'd rather have a stud #1C but Calle was very, very good for a long time.

The Russian would become trade bait or turn Holtby into trade bait. He just has the look of a top NHL goalie. Like Varly.

I'm really hoping for Centers, Centers, and more Centers. I trust Mahoney's judgment.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
craig button is an idiot, you might as well trust don cherry

Seconded!

Old
06-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I haven't seen either kid play but I like what I'm hearing about Lindholm and the Russian goalie.

I have followed the draft very closely for many years--the highly rated Swedes come through a lot of times. Remember when we took Nolan Baumgartner over what's his name? Vancouver drafted him around 14 overall and he was solid as a rock for over a decade. I'm feeble and can't get his name. Baumgartner went around 10 overall, was highly regarded as a top D prospect and just didn't make it for whatever reasons.

Erik Karlsson also went a lot later than he should've. I don't know...of course, I don't have any thought that Lindholm will be a star...I'm only putting together all the good things I've been reading about him with what I've seen of the NHL Draft since about 1985. Lindholm might be a Calle Johansson type. I'd rather have a stud #1C but Calle was very, very good for a long time.

The Russian would become trade bait or turn Holtby into trade bait. He just has the look of a top NHL goalie. Like Varly.

I'm really hoping for Centers, Centers, and more Centers. I trust Mahoney's judgment.
I seems like we've been trying to draft a skilled offensive-minded 2C via a late 1st for quite a while now. Maybe it's time to either move up in the draft or abandon the idea altogether.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
I seems like we've been trying to draft a skilled offensive-minded 2C via a late 1st for quite a while now. Maybe it's time to either move up in the draft or abandon the idea altogether.

AnGus bombed horribly. That one hurt. Beech epic failed. Sutherby looked really good for awhile (the series against TB that was lost in the early 2000's) and then he fell apart. I can't think of any others right now.

I remember Poile taking Brad Church, a winger, over center Peter Sykora in the 1995 (?) draft. PS kept falling and falling and *** Poile passed on him, too. Church played 0 games, I think. Sykora is still playing. Sigh. This team.

We took Jason Allison--I liked his skill but I'm not sorry we traded him. He skated so slowly and wasn't a great 1C. His type would be perfect to back up Backstrom, though. We had Pat Peake whose career ended when he broke his foot chasing after an icing. He was good, woulda been a 35 goal guy for a long time. Sigh. This team.

I think you've gotta take a lot of C prospects and just hope. If 1 out of 25 becomes a true 1C (Claude Girioux) and another a 2C, it's worth it.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Atlas

Oh, Boyd Gordon is another. Solid character C. But a 4th liner. Not what you want to spend a first round pick on.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
AnGus bombed horribly. That one hurt. Beech epic failed. Sutherby looked really good for awhile (the series against TB that was lost in the early 2000's) and then he fell apart. I can't think of any others right now.

I remember Poile taking Brad Church, a winger, over center Peter Sykora in the 1995 (?) draft. PS kept falling and falling and *** Poile passed on him, too. Church played 0 games, I think. Sykora is still playing. Sigh. This team.

We took Jason Allison--I liked his skill but I'm not sorry we traded him. He skated so slowly and wasn't a great 1C. His type would be perfect to back up Backstrom, though. We had Pat Peake whose career ended when he broke his foot chasing after an icing. He was good, woulda been a 35 goal guy for a long time. Sigh. This team.

I think you've gotta take a lot of C prospects and just hope. If 1 out of 25 becomes a true 1C (Claude Girioux) and another a 2C, it's worth it.
Gustafsson, Johansson, Kuznetsov in consecutive drafts. If I'm not mistaken, Kuz was considered a center when we drafted him.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
Gustafsson, Johansson, Kuznetsov in consecutive drafts. If I'm not mistaken, Kuz was considered a center when we drafted him.

Oh yeah! Mojo definitely was a 2C prospect. And Kuz was playing C, too. I don't know if Mahoney ever thought of him as an NHL center, though. But you're right. Thing is, other than Gussy, the other C's have a lot of value either as trade bait or if they can play.

I don't think Mojo is going to cut it as the legit 2C guy--but he has value around the league. I'd rather a guy like him at C over a winger with "high upside" or "defensive prowess."

Old
06-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
@VogsCaps: Join @WaltonCaps and I at 2 pm on Caps Report for the 2nd installment in our draft preview series. We'll be joined by Kyle Woodlief of RLR.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:14 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Vogel just said on the podcast that the Caps have to choose their 2nd rounder (BOS 12/COL 13) by Friday.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

GMGM is having a presser on the draft tomorrow so maybe he announces it then.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Carlzner

HF Mock Draft has us picking Gaunce at 11 with Faksa still on the board...

They also have Grigorenko going 3rd to MTL and Galchenyuk going 5th to TML... which definitely won't ****ing happen, much to the dismay of the Leaf fans on HFBoards and on HFStaff.

Finn at 16 with Puoliot, Collberg and Lindholm still on the board. YIKES.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

I'd be pretty skeptical of that draft. They should have plenty of OHL insight but...yikes.

HF moderator mock with yours truly picking Faksa, Maatta and a flyer on Schmaltz in the second, though again they should probably defer and take Colorado's second next year.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:59 PM
IkeaMonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I'd be pretty skeptical of that draft. They should have plenty of OHL insight but...yikes.

HF moderator mock with yours truly picking Faksa, Maatta and a flyer on Schmaltz in the second, though again they should probably defer and take Colorado's second next year.

Now ya'll are just ****ing with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I'll give you guys a list of USHL players that fall in Haar territory for 2012 if you'd like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Jordan Schmaltz
Kevin Roy
Jared Rutledge
Austyn Young

To get the list started.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Carlzner

^ (Considering how well Haar did in camp, it looks like Langway made a good pick with Schmaltz)

Nice picks Langway... i would love for Maatta to fall to 16.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:08 PM
IkeaMonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
^ (Considering how well Haar did in camp, it looks like Langway made a good pick with Schmaltz)

Nice picks Langway... i would love for Maatta to fall to 16.
Jon Sim is probably the best player in NHL Pre-season history, btw.

Didn't see where the pick was for Schmaltz...I guess at 53 I could buy that... I'd also win my bet with "AmericanDream" that he will go closer to #60 than #30.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Now ya'll are just ****ing with me.
High five!

Old
06-13-2012, 03:12 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
High five!

This is an awesome picture and should be used for everything.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:12 PM
pman25

At 11 I see us taking a defenseman that may fall due to circumstance. One of Trouba, Reinhart, Maatta, Dumba, Reilly could be there.

Gaunce and Faksa aren't bad options by any means, but I don't want us taking a center just to take a center.

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote