HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Watch Part 2

Old
06-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Now ya'll are just ****ing with me.
High five!

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:12 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
High five!

This is an awesome picture and should be used for everything.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:12 PM
pman25

At 11 I see us taking a defenseman that may fall due to circumstance. One of Trouba, Reinhart, Maatta, Dumba, Reilly could be there.

Gaunce and Faksa aren't bad options by any means, but I don't want us taking a center just to take a center.

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:33 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
I'd be pretty skeptical of that draft. They should have plenty of OHL insight but...yikes.

HF moderator mock with yours truly picking Faksa, Maatta and a flyer on Schmaltz in the second, though again they should probably defer and take Colorado's second next year.
Nice choices. If the 1st rounders are kept landing a C and a D seems like the most likely. I'm almost leaning toward Slater Koekkoek or Lindholm over Maata at 16 looking at that mock as he seems pretty intriguing.

If Trouba slips I'd be all over that at 11. Then maybe a Gaunce/ZG/Hertl at 16.

06-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/...ld-isles-go-d/
Quote:
How about on offense? Anyone that Long Island might covet or who makes the most sense?

McKenzie: “If the Islanders opt for a forward, the obvious choices, assuming Yakupov is gone, would be Filip Forsberg, the big Swedish winger, Alex Galchenyuk, the offensive center who plays alongside Yakupov in Sarnia, or maybe Teuvo Teravainen, the diminutive Finn whose stock is skyrocketing. Big Russian center Mikhail Grigorenko, who plays in Quebec, is also a consideration but I suspect his stock may fall and take him out of the top 5 and maybe even out of the top 10.”
NHL.com mocks here, here and here have the Caps taking Dumba/Collberg, Pouliot/Girgensons & Reinhart/Collberg. A D first and then a forward seems quite possible but those combos? I'd be surprised.

I think Maatta is a little bit of a safer choice. Upside could favor SK/EL but Maatta offers a more mature game that should allow them to fast-track him for a depth role.

Woodlief raved about Laughton on CapsReport. I share much of the belief in the player but not necessarily the offensive upside. It seems like a work in progress that requires faith mainly because he seems to be around the puck so much.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
fast-track him for a depth role.
Is that really what we/they should be concerned with?

Also if Grigorenko falls to 11, you just know they're taking him. Which I guess I'm alright with.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Is that really what we/they should be concerned with?
Not exclusively but it lessens the bust rate. The player needs to carry attractive upside as well as a safe floor but they're better served not targeting projects that will require three plus years given their track record. Not that those two in particular necessarily will take that long.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

If Dumba was there for us I'd cry tears of joy, but Grigorenko is more likely.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Carlzner

Honestly, if Dumba, Trouba, and Murray are off the board and Faksa is available, and we take a defenseman....

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/...ld-isles-go-d/

NHL.com mocks here, here and here have the Caps taking Dumba/Collberg, Pouliot/Girgensons & Reinhart/Collberg. A D first and then a forward seems quite possible but those combos? I'd be surprised.

I think Maatta is a little bit of a safer choice. Upside could favor SK/EL but Maatta offers a more mature game that should allow them to fast-track him for a depth role.
Would love the first and third combos, hate the second. And I'm not a Dumba fan, but him at 11 is tremendous upside for the pick.

Agreed that Maatta is probably a safer D pick and would be pleased if he's available at 16. And I agree with the concept of early picks that are close to NHL roles in some capacity. In recent years, a vast majority of our more "successful" draft picks have reached the NHL quickly. We're not Detroit. So picking players who project to fit our development model is probably a good thing.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

If McPhee takes another flight risk draftee, I'll vomit. Their prospect depth can't take it right now. They need to restock with players who are determined to play in North America.

Dumba would be silly if he slipped. I'm still on board with Faksa and Maatta.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
If McPhee takes another flight risk draftee, I'll vomit. Their prospect depth can't take it right now. They need to restock with players who are determined to play in North America.

I'm still convinced that Kuznetsov is determined to play in NA. What we need is someone who is determined to play in NA ASAP. The problem with Kuznetsov is that he has no urgency to get here. Gustafsson turned out not to be determined even to play hockey at all. But yeah, McPhee needs to hit on at least one of if not both of the 1st rounders.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:55 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post

They can handle one flight risk of the two picks, but not both. If Grink falls to 11, they can afford to take him (especially since he's already in NA... risk is lower).

I'd rather they steer clear of Vasilevski though (of course I don't think they should be using 1sts on goalies anymore regardless) unless he falls to them later in the draft.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:02 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I'm still convinced that Kuznetsov is determined to play in NA. What we need is someone who is determined to play in NA ASAP. The problem with Kuznetsov is that he has no urgency to get here. Gustafsson turned out not to be determined even to play hockey at all. But yeah, McPhee needs to hit on at least one of if not both of the 1st rounders.

Not sure if determined is the work I would use, but I think it's still likely he'll play in NA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
They can handle one flight risk of the two picks, but not both. If Grink falls to 11, they can afford to take him (especially since he's already in NA... risk is lower).

I'd rather they steer clear of Vasilevski though (of course I don't think they should be using 1sts on goalies anymore regardless) unless he falls to them later in the draft.
Can they handle another 1st rounder blown right now? I don't think so. There's not much in the prospect pipeline. I think they need to hit on both of these, or hit on one and turn the other around for a current NHLer. I'd trade down if Grink was there at 11 and someone really wanted him.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Assuming we keep 11 and 16 and use Boston's 2nd (53 or 54 depending on what New Jersey does), I would hate Vasya at 11 or 16, but love him at 53.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:52 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Assuming we keep 11 and 16 and use Boston's 2nd (53 or 54 depending on what New Jersey does), I would hate Vasya at 11 or 16, but love him at 53.
New Jersey's keeping their pick this year, so the BOS pick is 54th overall.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Hey guys, Wild fan coming in peace.

Hypothetical situation for everyone: say come draft day, Grigorenko is available at #7. Minnesota's GM looks over to Washington's GM; they lock eyes. They both know what the other is thinking...

At this moment in time, is Washington willing to trade #11 & #16 for Grigorenko?

Thanks for your time!

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post

Hypothetical situation for everyone: say come draft day, Grigorenko is available at #7. Minnesota's GM looks over to Washington's GM; they lock eyes. They both know what the other is thinking...

At this moment in time, is Washington willing to trade #11 & #16 for Grigorenko?

Thanks for your time!
I would hope not.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:18 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:

Thanks for your time!
No one knows, but I sure as hell wouldn't.

I also sincerely wish that every non-Caps fan would stop assuming we are going to take every ******* Russian we can get our picks on.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:20 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:

Thanks for your time!
I don't like where this is going...

As for the trade, I think the Caps need two players out of those picks, so no, I wouldn't move them to move up.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:22 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
No one knows, but I sure as hell wouldn't.

I also sincerely wish that every non-Caps fan would stop assuming we are going to take every ******* Russian we can get our picks on.
Well, we do know that, for better or worse, McPhee doesn't seem to fear the "Russian factor" at all.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:23 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
I don't like where this is going...
From that turtleshell wussbag system we played last year, it would appear some part of Washington mated with Minnesota.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:25 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Well, we do know that, for better or worse, McPhee doesn't seem to fear the "Russian factor" at all.
While true I'm honestly so tired of out-of-town fans and Russian related things.

Got a 38 year old Russian who is over the hill? Caps want him!

Got a cocky 20 something Russian who isn't welcome round these parts? Caps want him!

Got a 17 year old Russian who likes to hula hoop? Caps want him!

Old
06-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

Quote:

Thanks for your time!
54 or Colorado's second in '13 (whichever they end up opting for), yes. Otherwise, no. Not for 7. Not unless they don't value the likely range of players at 16 much.

The interesting little wrinkle at 7 is 8-10 all being current division teams. That may not last much longer but if they really don't want to see a player go inside the division that would be the spot to jump to.

Last edited by Langway: 06-14-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old
06-14-2012, 02:58 PM
noptov

Quote:
They both know what the other is thinking...
Somebody knows what GMGM is thinking?

noptov is offline   Reply With Quote