HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Watch Part 2

Old
06-20-2012, 06:22 AM
tmljeh19

vCash: 500
Can some of you guys enlighten me on who you think are realistic targets at #54? I'm pretty much all caught up in the possibilities at 11 and 16 but I'm not knowledgable of guys in the second or who could fall to there.

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Jackstrom19

Grigorenko is not going to drop past a lot of teams. Even if he has his problems...somebody is going to take a chance on him.

Jackstrom19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Carlzner

Not necessarily...

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Can some of you guys enlighten me on who you think are realistic targets at #54? I'm pretty much all caught up in the possibilities at 11 and 16 but I'm not knowledgable of guys in the second or who could fall to there.
McKenzie's top 60 is a good primer. Scott Kosmachuk, Mike Winther, Daniil Zharkov, Anton Slepyshev, Matia Marcantuoni, Jarrod Maidens. I tend to doubt Komsachuk/Winther falling that far but the other four could. Adam Pelech if he's still around. Plenty of others in that 30-50 range that are appealing but unlikely to fall that far.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:06 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Wow a guy at Red Line has the Caps taking Grigorenko at 11 AND Faksa at 16. Would looovvvveee to see that.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:41 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
Wow a guy at Red Line has the Caps taking Grigorenko at 11 AND Faksa at 16. Would looovvvveee to see that.
Of course the dream would be getting a blue chipper at 11 and THEN getting Grigs at 16. But thats just being greedy. Above scenario would be awesome obviosuly.

The only player I think the Caps should stay away from is Teuvo Teravainen. Small, undersized guys make me very nervous.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
McKenzie's top 60 is a good primer. Scott Kosmachuk, Mike Winther, Daniil Zharkov, Anton Slepyshev, Matia Marcantuoni, Jarrod Maidens. I tend to doubt Komsachuk/Winther falling that far but the other four could. Adam Pelech if he's still around. Plenty of others in that 30-50 range that are appealing but unlikely to fall that far.
Marcantuoni is intriguing. He has a great skill set, injuries derailed his year but he could be a high upside pick at #54.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 12:57 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Looks like ESPN Insider final mock has caps getting Teuvo Teravainen with Trouba going the pick before and Faksa the pick after.

Quote:
Small and physically underdeveloped (5-11, 165 pounds), Teravainen could become a steal in this draft down the line. He needs time to develop, and most of the teams picking ahead of the Caps need impact players ASAP. Because of that, I can see Teravainen sliding to this point, but his talent and skill warrant a top-five selection. The Capitals will be thrilled to get him at this point in the draft, stash him for a few seasons and bring him over to shine with Evgeny Kuznetsov circa 2014-15.
For 16 caps picking Andrei Vasilevski sandwiched between Girgensons and Hertl.

Quote:
Having depth at the goaltending position proved valuable this year to the Capitals, and while they may have found their starter in Braden Holtby, adding Vasilevski gives them options down the line. The Russian netminder owns elite size and has tremendous upside. He definitely looks like a No. 1-caliber keeper as he fits the mold of today's supersized, super-athletic goaltenders.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...nal-mock-draft

06-20-2012, 01:00 PM
pman25

I wouldn't mind Teravainen. Sure he's kinda small, but he is also one of the youngest players in the draft. He will add size before he gets to the nhl in 2 or 3 years

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Of course the dream would be getting a blue chipper at 11 and THEN getting Grigs at 16. But thats just being greedy. Above scenario would be awesome obviosuly.

The only player I think the Caps should stay away from is Teuvo Teravainen. Small, undersized guys make me very nervous.
Agreed. What I've read about him makes me think he's never going to realize his supposed potential. He'll show flashes of brilliance and generally be an inconsistent, incomplete player. Not that I know what I'm talking about.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Capitlols

Teravainen would be great, but I think it makes too much sense for Carolina to pass up on him.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I'm not sure anyone in the draft thinks the game better than Teravainen. It's easier to dominate his age group but that quality is pretty special and he has produced against men as well. I don't think he lasts that long. If they take a forward at 11 I'd guess it's Faksa or Grigorenko falling or they think a hell of a lot of Girgensons.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Carlzner

No to ****ing Vasilevski

Old
06-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Jedgi

Been hoping for Griffin Reinhart since the beginning of the year (unless Yakupov), but now want Grigorenko since it tooks like Reinhart won't be there at 11.

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:24 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Yep at 11 I'm hoping..

Forwards
1. Grigorenko
2. Teuvo
3. Faksa

Defensemen
1. Trouba/Reinhart (thoughts?)
2. Rielly
3. Ceci/Maatta (thoughts?)

So overall I guess...

1. Grigorenko
2. Trouba/Reinhart (thoughts?)
3. Teuvo
4. Rielly
5. Faksa
6. Ceci/Maatta

As asked above, who do you guys think is better between Trouba/Reinhart, and between Ceci/Maatta (most likely for 16th overall, though)

Old
06-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Yep at 11 I'm hoping..

Forwards
1. Grigorenko
2. Teuvo
3. Faksa

Defensemen
2. Rielly

So overall I guess...

1. Grigorenko
3. Teuvo
4. Rielly
5. Faksa
6. Ceci/Maatta

As asked above, who do you guys think is better between Trouba/Reinhart, and between Ceci/Maatta (most likely for 16th overall, though)
Assuming the "thoughts?" is who we should take out of the two, i definitely go Trouba, Maatta.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Jackstrom19

Drafting Grigs at 11 and then Faska or Trouba at 16 would be amazing but that would still leave a hole at 2C with not a lot of fire power to go out and trade for one..am I wrong? I think you have to pair one of the picks up to go get a 2C

Jackstrom19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Capitlols

Sign Olli Jokinen.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:42 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Assuming the "thoughts?" is who we should take out of the two, i definitely go Trouba, Maatta.
Yeah I guess I should've cleared it up... Would you rather Reinhart or Trouba fall to us at 11? And would you rather have Ceci or Maatta fall to us at 16?

Also does anyone have scouting reports on these guys, or more specifically, career potential, projections, or player comparisons? Thanks!

Old
06-20-2012, 01:55 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Yeah I guess I should've cleared it up... Would you rather Reinhart or Trouba fall to us at 11? And would you rather have Ceci or Maatta fall to us at 16?

Also does anyone have scouting reports on these guys, or more specifically, career potential, projections, or player comparisons? Thanks!
Snip-snip from me on Trouba...

Skating - Very good skater, much better than Jordan Schmaltz. Not in the level of Cooper/Matheson but very good. Has great balance and clearly strong foundation as he generates a lot of power in his checks, from his legs. Has enough speed to recover if beaten and also lead the puck up ice. Moves feet well. Good acceleration from a dead stop.

Offense - Not a typical "powerplay quarterback" but has a decent skill set. Hands are not quick and did stumble a few times with the puck. Has a very strong, heavy slap shot that will score some goals. Decent offensive instincts and vision. Most passes were on the tape and did bring the puck up the ice by himself a couple times.

Defense - Big, strong bodied player who goes into the corner and battles. Was out there for a big chunk of the long 5v3 along with Kerdiles and Jones. Not afraid to block shots. Got his stick and glove knocked out of his hand and kept knocking a Force player around in the corner(and received an awful penalty for it as well). Positioning could use a tiny bit of work, as he seemed a bit too eager to stray the crease and work the boards on a couple of occasions, but nothing too glaring.

Intangibles - Assistant captain on the team and displayed a lot of leadership qualities by being vocal and sticking up for teammates. Already a very big bodied player, not sure if he will fill out much more, but he's got some great size already. I think a good comparison for him would be Jack Johnson.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post

Skating - Very good skater, much better than Jordan Schmaltz. Not in the level of Cooper/Matheson but very good. Has great balance and clearly strong foundation as he generates a lot of power in his checks, from his legs. Has enough speed to recover if beaten and also lead the puck up ice. Moves feet well. Good acceleration from a dead stop.

Offense - Not a typical "powerplay quarterback" but has a decent skill set. Hands are not quick and did stumble a few times with the puck. Has a very strong, heavy slap shot that will score some goals. Decent offensive instincts and vision. Most passes were on the tape and did bring the puck up the ice by himself a couple times.

Defense - Big, strong bodied player who goes into the corner and battles. Was out there for a big chunk of the long 5v3 along with Kerdiles and Jones. Not afraid to block shots. Got his stick and glove knocked out of his hand and kept knocking a Force player around in the corner(and received an awful penalty for it as well). Positioning could use a tiny bit of work, as he seemed a bit too eager to stray the crease and work the boards on a couple of occasions, but nothing too glaring.

Intangibles - Assistant captain on the team and displayed a lot of leadership qualities by being vocal and sticking up for teammates. Already a very big bodied player, not sure if he will fill out much more, but he's got some great size already. I think a good comparison for him would be Jack Johnson.
This doesn't sound very much like Jack Johnson IMO. Johnson is more of a smooth skating PMD... pretty bad at defense. I'll take your word, since you obviously have seen more than me... but i don't think JJ is the right comparison.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:03 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Yep at 11 I'm hoping..

Forwards
1. Grigorenko
2. Teuvo
3. Faksa

Defensemen
2. Rielly

So overall I guess...

1. Grigorenko
3. Teuvo
4. Rielly
5. Faksa
6. Ceci/Maatta

Not a fan of Reinhart atm as he seems a bit soft. Maatta seems like a steady type dman. Just looking forward who knows how long Green will be around so if the caps go with forward and a dman with their two 1st rounders would prefer the D to have some offensive upside so Ceci or Lindholm seem more appealing.

Last edited by usiel: 06-20-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: add. content
usiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:06 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
This doesn't sound very much like Jack Johnson IMO. Johnson is more of a smooth skating PMD... pretty bad at defense. I'll take your word, since you obviously have seen more than me... but i don't think JJ is the right comparison.
Well, to be fair, he plays a lot like JJ did at the NTDP.

I think their skating is very similar, in terms of hips and mechanics.

I agree that JJ is more offensive-minded though.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:08 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Maybe Erik Johnson would be a better comparable then? Of course, not questioning Dynamo, but just wondering if he got the names switched up.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:10 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post

Thanks!

And do you think he's a potential #1 or #2 Dman? And would he potentially be a good partner for Green or Orlov?