HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Watch Part 2

Old
06-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Snip-snip from me on Trouba...

Skating - Very good skater, much better than Jordan Schmaltz. Not in the level of Cooper/Matheson but very good. Has great balance and clearly strong foundation as he generates a lot of power in his checks, from his legs. Has enough speed to recover if beaten and also lead the puck up ice. Moves feet well. Good acceleration from a dead stop.

Offense - Not a typical "powerplay quarterback" but has a decent skill set. Hands are not quick and did stumble a few times with the puck. Has a very strong, heavy slap shot that will score some goals. Decent offensive instincts and vision. Most passes were on the tape and did bring the puck up the ice by himself a couple times.

Defense - Big, strong bodied player who goes into the corner and battles. Was out there for a big chunk of the long 5v3 along with Kerdiles and Jones. Not afraid to block shots. Got his stick and glove knocked out of his hand and kept knocking a Force player around in the corner(and received an awful penalty for it as well). Positioning could use a tiny bit of work, as he seemed a bit too eager to stray the crease and work the boards on a couple of occasions, but nothing too glaring.

Intangibles - Assistant captain on the team and displayed a lot of leadership qualities by being vocal and sticking up for teammates. Already a very big bodied player, not sure if he will fill out much more, but he's got some great size already. I think a good comparison for him would be Jack Johnson.
Interesting, thanks. (Agree that the Johnson comparison doesn't seem great though.) I guess I'd be alright with the pick. I've kind of fallen in love with Lindholm though. I think Faksa is my first choice at 11, assuming Grigorenko isn't there, but I think Lindholm is my second. I'd take him over Trouba, whom I admittedly don't know as much about.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Carlzner

Yes to Lindholm. HOPE he falls to us. If we take Faksa(Or Grig), he's my #1 choice for a guy at 16.

He plays similarly to Karlsson, and has been a late riser to the mid-teens just like EK too. I really like his game, I think he'll be a really good player. Been under the radar for awhile.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

The Karlsson comparison doesn't sound very appropriate to me. He definitely doesn't sound like he has that kind of offensive upside, and sounds more defensively responsible. I guess offensive upside can be pretty hard to predict for players coming out of the Swedish leagues though.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:14 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
Maybe Erik Johnson would be a better comparable then? Of course, not questioning Dynamo, but just wondering if he got the names switched up.
Admitedly, I'm awful with player comparisons. It's much more of...I loathe it, especially around here with most posters. Not here, but the prospects forum.

"Vasilevski? Totally Varlamov"

"Oh, I've heard of Malcolm Subban, I'd compare him to Fred Brathwaite."

"Zemgus Girgensons is Latvian? I'd say Arturs Irbe is a solid comparison."

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Maybe Erik Johnson would be a better comparable then? Of course, not questioning Dynamo, but just wondering if he got the names switched up.
EJ is an interesting comparison. Sorta.

I think he's a 2nd pairing defenseman most likely. Safe pick for most teams, he's a very good player.

Ceiling i'd say #2 defenseman, but that's the absolute ceiling, so who knows if he reaches it.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I've read Foote comparisons for Trouba but maybe a Zbynek Michalek with a better shot and more offense overall. I think he could be there at 11 potentially.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 02:16 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Thanks!

And do you think he's a potential #1 or #2 Dman? And would he potentially be a good partner for Green or Orlov?
I think he'd be really solid with Green. He's got the "eraser" aspect to him, while at the same time, having a CANNON of a slapshot, to hold his own in the offensive end with Green.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Carlzner

Don't see Trouba falling past TB at 10.
If he did, I would take him in a heartbeat over someone like Faksa

Old
06-20-2012, 02:21 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Ceiling i'd say #2 defenseman, but that's the absolute ceiling, so who knows if he reaches it.
Essentially this. I don't see him ever as just a plug on the bottom pairing, but he's #2ish with more appropriate on a second pairing.

Kinda like Jack Johnson! Boom!

Last edited by IkeaMonkey*: 06-20-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old
06-20-2012, 02:41 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

^thanks guys...

And I agree... Go Grigorenko if available at 11, if not Trouba/Teuvo then Faksa IMO and then at 16 take one of Ceci/Maatta/Lindholm/Collberg.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:53 PM
sycamore

The other thing with TT is he is also several years away from being NHL ready. Makes more sense for the Caps to take a more NHL ready draft pick to take advantage of Ovechkin/Backstrom's prime years.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:02 AM
Atlas

If he is as advertised, I don't think Faksa will make it to #11.

I can see him going as high as #5. He sounds somewhat like Jordan Staal in effectiveness. A couple of GM's will value that over the riskier forwards.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:15 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Admitedly, I'm awful with player comparisons. It's much more of...I loathe it, especially around here with most posters. Not here, but the prospects forum.

"Vasilevski? Totally Varlamov"

"Oh, I've heard of Malcolm Subban, I'd compare him to Fred Brathwaite."

"Zemgus Girgensons is Latvian? I'd say Arturs Irbe is a solid comparison."
How can you compare a forward with a goalie? wtf
If i had to compare him to any other great latvian player i`d say Sandis Ozolins.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:22 AM
EHCler

Well there will definitly be a quality player left @ number 11, however the draft works out. I expect as always that at least one team in the top 10 will go off the board and pick a player rated in the 12-20 range. As we can use prospects at every position we are in a very comfortable position, so I would like to see us draft one "real center". We have a short and long term void at that position.

Despite BPA we should try not to draft 2 D-Man either in the first round. (Faksa or Grigs would be awesome) and at 16 Maatta or Lindholm.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:00 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
Maybe one day soon, we will hear George say, you also cannot have enough centers.

It shouldn't take a hockey insider to figure that out. Do the cup winners in recent memory prove that?

Years of drafting a lot of defensemen can be presumed to have left us thin at C.

George's body of work has focused on drafting D and holding them. But I don't see it as the key to the cup.

Since young dmen seem to take longer to mature or peak over forwards, the Ovi led instant contender situation George found himself in, probably required him dealing from a position of abundance - young D - to seize the plain as day easy to see great opportunity to win a cup, as Ovi took the world by storm. George held the young D and stayed the course, and led by Sarge may well lead us to a cup when they all mature. But I see a missed opportunity to win one sooner.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-21-2012 at 09:30 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:14 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
How can you compare a forward with a goalie? wtf
If i had to compare him to any other great latvian player i`d say Sandis Ozolins.

Not me.

Others here.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

GMGM better not draft the 5'10 player some people are giving us in mocks.
If chris bourque, MP, and that new guy we got from boston are all to small to play in the NHL dont pick small forwards with high picks.

Also stay away from goalies in the 1st round. maybe snag one in the 2nd or 3rd

also random thought, since hunter is going to be helping with the drafting what are some of the top targets on his JR team this year

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Small is fine if the talent is also there. I'm not as sanguine as are others that he'll still be on the board, but I'd be ecstatic if the Caps were able to land Teuvo Teravainen.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:29 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Honestly, TT scares me the most of any player in Top 10 discussions.

Collberg scares me the most in discussions about who to take at #16.

In my opinion, we need to go "safe" with one of the two picks. Trouba, Gaunce and Girgensons are on my "safe" list. If we are gonna go for a home run type pick with one of them, I'm hoping for Lindholm or Dumba.

I will pull my ****ing hair out if we take defensemen with both picks. Remember the last time we had multiple first rounders and went D both picks? We ended up with a big guy more useless than Sarge and a Sasha even more hated than #28.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:47 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
Yeah I dont want double dipping on Ds this year. Even if we have to take a guy with only a slightly lower grade. A lot lower, yeah take the D. And then trade him, if need be.

What is the foundation of the old hockey adage, you can never have too many defensemen? Why are they more important than centers?

You get 4 centers, 6 dmen, 8 wingers, 2G.

2G, but they are a different animal than skaters. A well coached team can overcome deficiencies there. And a GM targeting solid two way players, versus lets say "flighty cherry pickers" goes along way to prevent quality scoring chances before the G gets the puck.

Next up, you only get 4 centers. A GM cannot f around here. Our team has always missed out on that big stud center. Nick has gone a LONG ways toward addressing its, but its clear that one is not enough. One elbow, one shadow, we are dead in the water. Even Ted has spoken publicly about it. I miss Arnott, when healthy of course. And in his yute, what a stud he was.

Then 6 defensemen, and the 8 wingers.

I think its safe to say you can never have enough of all positions.

That is life as a GM however, constantly finding the right balance between them all. He chooses to hoard the D.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
The other thing with TT is he is also several years away from being NHL ready. Makes more sense for the Caps to take a more NHL ready draft pick to take advantage of Ovechkin/Backstrom's prime years.
Conversely, their prime window may not be until after Sochi anyway and it's possible Teuvo is ready in two years. I agree with the concerns with Collberg translating but I think Teravainen's processing of the game makes him worth the risk, esp. in a draft where there aren't a lot of clear top six talents. He's also pretty decent defensively. Skating and overall strength are needed but he's got big-time skill and poise.

Drafting for immediate need could land them something like Olli Maatta & Tom Wilson...contributors but to what extent? TT will be gone anyway I'd wager. There are eight players I'd consider remote possibilities at 11: Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Murray, Forsberg, Reinhart, Rielly, Dumba & Teravainen.

As far as Hunter targets you've got to look at the OHL overall as he has extensive knowledge through coaching and prepping for OHL drafts and the recruitment process, although some of those takes could be dated. The OHL Prospects blog always does a great job going over that league. On the Knights after Maatta there's Anderson, Tierney, Athanasiou and the Ruperts.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:59 AM
pman25

^^Also from London is Seth Griffith, RW. Should go 2nd-3rd round. So he could be an option at 54 or 77 if Dale gives the thumbs up. But yes, Dale is also there to give advice on players his team has had trouble playing against, not just the players he has coached.

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Conversely, their prime window may not be until after Sochi anyway

Old
06-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Draft reading from the past:

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Reliving the Hickey pick never gets old. Good stuff.

Also, Applebee's.

Last edited by Langway: 06-21-2012 at 01:01 PM.