HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2012 Draft Watch Part 2

Old
04-27-2012, 11:56 PM
usiel

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfantaj View Post
At 11 The Caps should get a quality player. Maybe GMGM will shock the hockey world be moving into a top 3 pick. Honestly this is a smart move. They could use a top 6 forword or a top 4 d man to solidify the longterm future, next 4-5 years, of deep playoff teams. They have the picks and trade bait to pull it off
Personally only Nails seems the only sure thing...after that there are question marks, IMHO. I'm fine with staying at 11. NHL teams all have varying lists so anticipate a value pick there. Keeping both picks do the caps prospect base well. Projecting 5 years down the line before this years drafts crap potentially has an impact on the roster we are looking at AO at 31/32. Sure if ur trading away the pick for a NHL roster player that is one thing but man gotta take the BPA (always IMHO) when making a pick.

04-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Langway
Intangibles

I'd like to pick up one of the top-end forwards but trading into the top three to five isn't easy. I'm curious if Grigorenko does slip if there would be a temptation to move up for him. In any event, they could actually wind up with both a top six forward and top four defenseman if the draft falls right for them. That's even a fringe possibility if their own pick gets kicked down to 27-30.

You never want to draft for need but from a stylistic standpoint I think they need to target young skilled players that are strong on the puck. That ability will allow for an easier transition to the NHL, esp. if #HunterHockey is here to stay. There's not a whole lot of that in the system, particularly up front. That would be my concern with Teravainen and his ETA although him going top ten would make it moot.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:44 AM
breakawaygoal

I wonder if the Caps look at drafting Olli Maatta? From what I read he seems like a Karl Alzner-type defensive guy.

He'd probably be available at 11th overall, and there's the Dale Hunter/London Knights connection too....

breakawaygoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 02:00 PM
BPMrules

If Huntsy is here to stay, I'd imagine the amount of former London Knights we see arriving in DC via draft/free agency increases a fair amount. We'll have a mix of fancy russians, and canadian kids who are defensively responsible, and good two way players.

BPMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:09 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakawaygoal View Post
I wonder if the Caps look at drafting Olli Maatta? From what I read he seems like a Karl Alzner-type defensive guy.

He'd probably be available at 11th overall, and there's the Dale Hunter/London Knights connection too....
I'd be really disappointed with Maatta at 11. I want whichever one of Rielly, Reinhart, Trouba, Faksa or Teravainen falls to our pick. I think there is a bit of a drop-off after 11.

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative View Post
I'd be really disappointed with Maatta at 11. I want whichever one of Rielly, Reinhart, Trouba, Faksa or Teravainen falls to our pick. I think there is a bit of a drop-off after 11.
I don't think it's a huge drop, particularly among the D, but I agree. They only way I could maybe see it is if it comes down to Reinhart being the one available from that group and they prefer Maatta's skill and hockey sense to Reinhart's steadyness.

Old
04-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Damn, Halifax lost in the QMJHL semis. Won't be able to see them play against Galiev and Saint John...

Watching the whole series, i was pretty unimpressed with Martin Frk...Mackinnon was head and shoulders better IMO, i wouldn't use a first rounder on him unless it's 29-30th or so. Also, Konrad Abeltshauer is a stud. SJ stole him in the 6th round in 2010.

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I don't think it's a huge drop, particularly among the D, but I agree. They only way I could maybe see it is if it comes down to Reinhart being the one available from that group and they prefer Maatta's skill and hockey sense to Reinhart's steadyness.
Really? Of the prospects I listed by name, only Rielly looks more promising. I know Reinhart isn't very physical but i've read he uses his strength well and I think he'll be ready within a year or two.

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative View Post
Really? Of the prospects I listed by name, only Rielly looks more promising. I know Reinhart isn't very physical but i've read he uses his strength well and I think he'll be ready within a year or two.
I think Rielly & Teravainen have the highest upside of that group while Reinhart is probably the safest pick. If Maatta can clean his skating up a bit he has the raw ability to be a more dynamic two-way defenseman. He's not as big but could round into a solid positional, all situations type.

Grigorenko reportedly has mono and it sounds like he won't participate in tests at the combine at the end of the month. He seems like the biggest question mark in the top-end group. Again, I wonder if he won't fall due to risk-aversion by GMs under pressure to get it right.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Grigo will fall big time.
Calling it.

Galchenyuk will go before the Leafs, which will be funny.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Goulet17

I was curious as to whether any Caps fans have an idea either way if the Caps will take the Colorado
2nd rounder (Boston Bruins' 2nd)this year or next.

I can see pros and cons for either decision.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:11 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Grigo will fall big time.
Calling it.

Galchenyuk will go before the Leafs, which will be funny.
leafs would prefer grigo over galchenyuk me thinks

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 03:20 PM
usiel

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
I was curious as to whether any Caps fans have an idea either way if the Caps will take the Colorado
2nd rounder (Boston Bruins' 2nd)this year or next.

I can see pros and cons for either decision.
Hard to say. Don't think the Capitals have to decide till the draft. At least to me the main pro into taking the Boston 2nd this year just to get another prospect into the system but I guess it might be a decision based on if their is a drop off quality wise somewhat predicted before the pick.

Also can see deferring the pick next year as they would still have a 1st and two 2nds for trade purposes even if both 2nds will end up being in the latter half of the round.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Langway
Intangibles

London is now up 3-1 on Niagara and a win away from the Memorial Cup. Maatta is tied for fourth in OHL playoff scoring and also leads London in playoff scoring. If he's there at 11 I think he's played his way into being an option, particularly given the similarities in systems if Hunter sticks around. His skating and conditioning need to improve but he also plays a lot and an NHL program will help.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:00 AM
laika86

Maata actually reminds me a bit of Carlson. He's got a big frame (he should be able to add to his current playing weight), good skater, solid both ways. I would be happy if we drafted him. I prefer him over Gaunce or some of the other guys that are being discussed. If Grigorenko falls, we should try to make a play for him. He's struggled this year, but he has the highest upside in the draft. He would solve our 2C problem.

laika86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:14 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

This draft reeks of 2005 to me.

2 1st rounders, neither top ten, one towards the bottom. Hell, one of them was from Colorado then too.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Langway
Intangibles

So...11 and 16. Hopefully they're not wasted via shoddy habits.

Old
05-12-2012, 09:36 PM
The Consiglieri

It's 16? Well, that's nice. For whatever reason i was assuming our series win would change the slot. Very nice to know it didnt. I never seem to keep track of that stuff. Hopefully we can restock with some nice talent that falls instead of some what the hell? type picks.

The Consiglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:38 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Consiglieri View Post
It's 16? Well, that's nice. For whatever reason i was assuming our series win would change the slot. Very nice to know it didnt. I never seem to keep track of that stuff. Hopefully we can restock with some nice talent that falls instead of some what the hell? type picks.
If they had won tonight it would have been 27+. If you're into the draft that's a heck of a silver lining, I guess, 11+ spots.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Not much else to be into right now other than the draft... maybe Sea Dogs, i guess.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:18 PM
The Consiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
If they had won tonight it would have been 27+. If you're into the draft that's a heck of a silver lining, I guess, 11+ spots.
Yep, unless we made the stanley cup, i always preferred the slotting, especially with this ghastly, hideous brand of hockey that's horrific on the eyes, and not terribly impressive in results either.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:34 AM
pman25

I hope we keep our picks this year and take the best guys there. I don't really wanna trade up or trade picks for players again. We need to get some top prospects into our prospect pool again. After whiffing on Gustafsson, and with Kuznetsov not coming over for a few years, and trading away multiple picks in recent years at the trade deadline, our prospect pool has been depleted. I'm excited to have two first rounders in the teens this year. Obviously I would have preferred our pick to be #30 but it is what it is.

Seems to be a deep year for defensemen in the top half of the first round. People mentioned Olli Maatta as a fit due to the London Knights connection. I can see it happening, but I don't really know much about the player besides what eliteprospects.com gives me...Time to do some research

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:48 AM
The Consiglieri

I would prefer we use the Av's pick in 2013, to the Bruins this year. Unless there's a huge value difference in the classes (and last year supposedly there was), i think it's pretty straight forward, that a Bruins pick, that should be what, 53rd to 55th or so is not as valuable in the fullness of time as an Avs pick that will be probably 40th to 48th. The only difference of course being in the relative value of the crops, if this crop of players is substantially better, than the Bruins pick would be more worth while. I don't think helping the system faster should be of interest, takes years for these guys to develop, and its better to get the best guy possible, and with 2 top 16 picks, we're already going to infuse some quality talent into the farm, hopefully.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:52 AM
pman25

Yeah, I would leave that decision with management. It may be best to save the pick for next year. Is the 2013 class deeper than 2012? That's something that management can decide, because I honestly don't know. I wouldn't really care which year we use it in, but if they really like the crop of guys this year that are slated to go in the late 2nd rd, then yeah, use it! If not, put it to next year.

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Memorial Cup teams set: Shawinigan (host), Saint John (QMJHL), London (OHL) & Edmonton (WHL). You'd have to figure it's Saint John's to lose once again. It should be a good chance to check out a couple of top ten lefty D candidates in Reinhart & Maatta.