HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Bernier to Tampa Bay

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2012, 02:38 PM
  #1
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,684
vCash: 500
Jonathan Bernier to Tampa Bay

With as good as Quick's been I can see him expendable plus he'll be a cheaper option than Schneider or Luongo. I don't know what his value is to LA but Columbus decided to take a mid first over him in the Carter trade. So I think Det 1st straight up?


Last edited by LightningStrikes: 04-17-2012 at 01:19 PM.
HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:12 PM
  #2
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames
 
Vasilevskiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Barcelona
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,729
vCash: 500
Probably would have to take Malone or Connolly + pick for Bernier + defense-man

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
  #3
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,684
vCash: 500
LA was willing to give him to Columbus instead of a pick in the teens, why would we have to add? I don't see LA trading Voynov but if they did I would send Malone, Connolly has too much potential to trade already.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:09 PM
  #4
PoundCake
Go Bolts!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
With as good as Quick's been I can see him expendable plus he'll be a cheaper option than Schneider or Luongo. I don't know what his value is to LA but Columbus decided to take a mid first over him in the Carter trade. So I think Det 1st straight up?
Are you sure L.A. even offered Bernier to Columbus? I'm assuming they wouldn't want to trade their backup goalie right before the playoffs.

I could have seen a trade like Bernier + Johnson for Tampa 1st + Malone after the playoffs, but then the Kings went and traded Johnson to Columbus He would have been a great fit in Tampa.

I doubt we would try to get Voynov. I think Yzerman will try to sign an experienced top 4 dman (like Brewer) to fill our current #3 spot. Then draft Dmen and let them develop in the AHL for a bit.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 04:18 PM
  #5
BarberioTheBarbarian
Registered User
 
BarberioTheBarbarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
I think Yzerman will try to sign an experienced top 4 dman (like Brewer) to fill our current #3 spot. Then draft Dmen and let them develop in the AHL for a bit.
Wideman or carle could fill that void.

BarberioTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:25 PM
  #6
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,684
vCash: 500
I didn't see anything that specifically said Bernier was offered but I've read lots of rumors that he was. LA was desperate for scoring so I think they would've sacrificed their back up goalie. I would've loved Johnson+Bernier but I think it would've cost more than our 1st and Malone. Unless we can get Ohlund to retire and his contract come off the cap I don't like us signing another 4 mil plus 30 year old D man. I think we are better trading for a few younger and cheaper players like Lee and hoping they can become serviceable.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:27 PM
  #7
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan
 
Follower of Yzlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,617
vCash: 1159
Isn't Ohlund a 35+ contract? Those don't come off the cap once the guy retires, do they?

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:29 PM
  #8
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberioTheBarbarian View Post
Wideman or carle could fill that void.
I don't see us going after Carle or him having any interest in us, we traded him after 12 games. Let's get back on track and hear suggestions on goalie proposals not named Schneider there's enough of those.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:38 PM
  #9
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I didn't see anything that specifically said Bernier was offered but I've read lots of rumors that he was. LA was desperate for scoring so I think they would've sacrificed their back up goalie.
I vaguely recall something along the lines of Columbus not being interested in Bernier, but we don't know if LA was pitching Bernier as the centerpiece of a deal rather than the final piece with Jack Johnson.

The persistent rumor was that the Kings wanted to keep onto Bernier until they got Quick signed to a longterm deal. Quick is UFA after next season, so they wanted an insurance policy just in case. Whether or not they decide to deal Bernier in the offseason will probably depend on how well contract talks go with Quick.

Personally, I'd go after Schneider before Bernier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake
Are you sure L.A. even offered Bernier to Columbus? I'm assuming they wouldn't want to trade their backup goalie right before the playoffs.
If Bernier had gone to Columbus, most expected the Blue Jackets to include Curtis Sanford in the deal as well. Sanford was having a decent season before his injury and had three solid starts against the Kings (1.67 GAA, .952 sv%)--Including the infamous game where the Kings scored a last second goal when the clock seemingly froze at 0.3 seconds.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:50 PM
  #10
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
With as good as Quick's been I can see him expendable plus he'll be a cheaper option than Schneider or Luongo. I don't know what his value is to LA but Columbus decided to take a mid first over him in the Carter trade. So I think Det 1st straight up?
Yeah but Quick needs a contract still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
Probably would have to take Malone or Connolly + pick for Bernier + defense-man
Rumor earlier was Bernier for Malone, Malone wouldn't waive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberioTheBarbarian View Post
Wideman or carle could fill that void.
Meh. Better options out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I didn't see anything that specifically said Bernier was offered but I've read lots of rumors that he was. LA was desperate for scoring so I think they would've sacrificed their back up goalie. I would've loved Johnson+Bernier but I think it would've cost more than our 1st and Malone. Unless we can get Ohlund to retire and his contract come off the cap I don't like us signing another 4 mil plus 30 year old D man. I think we are better trading for a few younger and cheaper players like Lee and hoping they can become serviceable.
Or creating three good pairings rather than 1 great pairing, 1 very good pairing, 1 average pairing and 1 crappy pairing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
Isn't Ohlund a 35+ contract? Those don't come off the cap once the guy retires, do they?
No hes not a 35+, thats why him retiring would be a good thing.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:41 PM
  #11
2 Weekes Notice
Registered User
 
2 Weekes Notice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Non-traditional Land
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
I've kind of been on the Bernier train for a bit. It's more risky than Schneider, but that Vancouver situation is turning so toxic that I think they'd make difficult trade partners. Plus, even though he's not a sure thing, the idea of getting a possible 23-year-old franchise goalie to tie to Stammer and Hedman is pretty tantalizing.

Plus I'm worried about Schneider's cost getting out of control. If Bernier could be had for DET 1st + maybe ours or Minnesota's 2nd, I'd consider that fine since it'd be nice to not have to part with Connolly/our first. Although, upping the trade to get Voynov is tempting too. If Willie Mitchell was younger I'd be interested in him, he's been fantastic against Vancouver IMO.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 11:07 PM
  #12
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Interesting to see how Schneider plays in the playoffs....if they go 4 and out, then he might be available albeit somewhat pricey. If they start to come back and Schneider is the reason, then it's going to be tough for the Canucks to make a decision on their goaltending situation. Can Luongo get them to the cup down the road? Unfortunately for the Canucks, they're stuck with him contract wise.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:03 AM
  #13
PoundCake
Go Bolts!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
I'm assuming the deal would look something like:

To Tampa:
Bernier

To L.A:
Det 1st
Forward prospect


Maybe Tampa adds a 2nd round pick or switches the 1st to Tampa's 1st? I'm not to sure what Berniers value is or what Yzerman would offer for him though.

I really don't see Yzerman trying to pick up any other major players from L.A. either.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:16 AM
  #14
garmonbozia
Registered User
 
garmonbozia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
I'm assuming the deal would look something like:

To Tampa:
Bernier

To L.A:
Det 1st
Forward prospect


Maybe Tampa adds a 2nd round pick or switches the 1st to Tampa's 1st? I'm not to sure what Berniers value is or what Yzerman would offer for him though.

I really don't see Yzerman trying to pick up any other major players from L.A. either.

Why not? I'd almost prefer a deal for one of L.A.s defensemen than for Bernier. Forbort in particular would be an awesome acquisition, though I wouldn't scoff at any of Greene, Martinez, Voynov, Muzzin, or Hickey if they were available.

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:28 AM
  #15
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
Why not? I'd almost prefer a deal for one of L.A.s defensemen than for Bernier. Forbort in particular would be an awesome acquisition, though I wouldn't scoff at any of Greene, Martinez, Voynov, Muzzin, or Hickey if they were available.
A trade for any of LA's D you mentioned besides Voynov doesn't help our top 4. Forbort is similar to Aullie but not as far along. Muzzin and Hickey are similar to Barbero but not putting up his numbers, not sure their contract situations but maybe we could trade a late round pick for their RFA rights to improve our prospect depth. Greene and Martinez would be 5/6 so not worth trading picks or prospects for.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:35 AM
  #16
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
A trade for any of LA's D you mentioned besides Voynov doesn't help our top 4. Forbort is similar to Aullie but not as far along. Muzzin and Hickey are similar to Barbero but not putting up his numbers, not sure their contract situations but maybe we could trade a late round pick for their RFA rights to improve our prospect depth. Greene and Martinez would be 5/6 so not worth trading picks or prospects for.
Martinez and Greene would both be 3/4 guys for us. Not even a question really.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:40 AM
  #17
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Martinez and Greene would both be 3/4 guys for us. Not even a question really.
Exactly. Martinez, if he stays healthy is a solid 4. Big if.

Greene is 28 (soon 29) and wouldn't be a bad pickup for a few years. Gives someone responsible to stay home while Heddy roams.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:55 AM
  #18
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Exactly. Martinez, if he stays healthy is a solid 4. Big if.

Greene is 28 (soon 29) and wouldn't be a bad pickup for a few years. Gives someone responsible to stay home while Heddy roams.
So LA's bottom 6 pairing would be our top 4 pairing? If that's the case we are in for another bad year. Martinez isn't any better than Lee. Is smaller than him and LH which we have a log jam of, I'd like our 3/4 to be Lee/Brewer. Lee looked good for us after we got him. Plus neither of those players are UFA's so why give up assets for them when we can sign bottom 6 guys much cheaper. We need to find someone to play with Hedman and move Brewer to 2nd pair. We have plenty of young 5/6 type players on the roster or in AHL. Now if it's a cap throw in a Bernier trade ok, but to try to get them isn't going to help our D.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:37 PM
  #19
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
So LA's bottom 6 pairing would be our top 4 pairing? If that's the case we are in for another bad year. Martinez isn't any better than Lee. Is smaller than him and LH which we have a log jam of, I'd like our 3/4 to be Lee/Brewer. Lee looked good for us after we got him. Plus neither of those players are UFA's so why give up assets for them when we can sign bottom 6 guys much cheaper. We need to find someone to play with Hedman and move Brewer to 2nd pair. We have plenty of young 5/6 type players on the roster or in AHL. Now if it's a cap throw in a Bernier trade ok, but to try to get them isn't going to help our D.
Only reason those guys are in those roles are because Scuderi, Doughty, and Mitchell in front of them. Martinez is head and shoulders above Lee in production and actual talent. Lee at this point is a miscast top four who needs to grow and learn how to cut off lanes. He had a great first week and a decent second week and tailed off hard.

I don't know how you can say we have those guys in Norfolk now, because we don't. Barberio still needs work in his end (and supposed improvement in foot speed, but I don't see it) and Gudas looks solid but a guy without a lot of offense isn't going to get rushed in here. Ideally we'd get Voynov, but thats a pipe dream at this point.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:04 PM
  #20
kinghock
Registered User
 
kinghock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mahwah,NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
From Kings point of view Bernier is available for overpayment only.
Check what Colorado gave for Varlamow last year.
Bernier and Hickey/ Muzzin for Connolly/Tampa’s first

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:18 PM
  #21
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
From Kings point of view Bernier is available for overpayment only.
Check what Colorado gave for Varlamow last year.
Bernier and Hickey/ Muzzin for Connolly/Tampa’s first
Verlamov was a more proven player with some playoff experience. Bernier isn't worth that, Col gave a 1st they thought would be in teens and a 2nd not 2 top 10 picks.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
  #22
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
From Kings point of view Bernier is available for overpayment only.
Check what Colorado gave for Varlamow last year.
Bernier and Hickey/ Muzzin for Connolly/Tampa’s first
Doubtful considering they already tried to move him this year for scoring help.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:24 PM
  #23
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Only reason those guys are in those roles are because Scuderi, Doughty, and Mitchell in front of them. Martinez is head and shoulders above Lee in production and actual talent. Lee at this point is a miscast top four who needs to grow and learn how to cut off lanes. He had a great first week and a decent second week and tailed off hard.

I don't know how you can say we have those guys in Norfolk now, because we don't. Barberio still needs work in his end (and supposed improvement in foot speed, but I don't see it) and Gudas looks solid but a guy without a lot of offense isn't going to get rushed in here. Ideally we'd get Voynov, but thats a pipe dream at this point.
I would say Lee and Martinez are pretty even, Lee hasn't lived up to his draft spot but still has the talent and potential to be a solid top 4 and we don't have to give up anything to get him. Gudas isn't ready needs at least 1 more year. Aullie who technically is in the AHL now will be on our bottom pair, Barbero was just named best defender in the AHL so I think playing bottom 6 minutes he'd do fine and he'd help our PP. Mikkelson isn't in the AHL but I see him be resigned to a 2 way deal so will be in the bottom pair or AHL. So we only need a top pair D to play with Hedman.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:42 PM
  #24
LightningStrikes
Moderator
SFY
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,360
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
From Kings point of view Bernier is available for overpayment only.
Check what Colorado gave for Varlamow last year.
Bernier and Hickey/ Muzzin for Connolly/Tampa’s first
Doubtful. At the time of the trade Varlamov was already a proven playoff performer and had played 11 more regular season games than Bernier has to date. And he posted better stats in those games, too. Plus those picks were expected to be a lot lower.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:38 PM
  #25
kinghock
Registered User
 
kinghock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mahwah,NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Doubtful considering they already tried to move him this year for scoring help.
They did not. This never been confirmed.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.