HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 | Rangers vs Senators

Old
04-17-2012, 12:12 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

vCash: 500
After this game.... Rangers are luckers... must go out from PO

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:14 AM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Turris was 56% in the FO circle tonight, much improved over game 1 & 2.

The shot count tonight was a clear indication of offensive zone time, the Sens had significantly more of it than the Rangers.

Yes the Rangers had their breakaways, but they happened after the score was 1-0 as I recall and the Sens were definitely taking chances to get the tie.
Zone time yes, and it gave them shots but the Rangers had as many quality scoring chances. I was sitting in row B by the visitors face-off dot, and the Rangers have to be given credit for a Roman Legion style defensive shell. The Sens D would toss the puck back and forth a lot trying to find lanes, and the shots that got through were often not great scoring chances. The Rangers make very few coverage errors to exploit.

This is where they missed Alfie because he is one of the best at handling the puck it tight quarters and making things happen.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:17 AM
BigEyedPhish

1) I think this game could have easily gone anyway, which is exactly what this series means..

2) If the Rangers beat us the rest of the league better watch out because it is only because of Lundqvist that they did.. and hot goalies win Championships.

3) If the Rangers do beat us, I think this is the beginning of a Lundqvist era where he may start becoming part of the upper echelon of goaltenders of all time.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:22 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Agreed, though I thought Condra played much better tonight. Butler was a pleasant surprise, thought he played played quite well too.

The team did managed 39 shots on net, had 21 blocked, and missed on numerous others. They created traffic, had rebound opportunities, they just didn't finish.
I liked Butler as well tonight. He might make a good partner to fill Spezza's line as well, with Condra sitting instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Gonchar is just horrible ou there. Soft, doesn't check, coughs up the puck, loses battles along the boards. I really can't stand him anymore!
This feels random. I have no problem with Gonchar's game tonight and was even surprised with the hipcheck he threw.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:24 AM
BigEyedPhish

Gilroy is ****ing terrible...

I have no clue what Murray saw in him.. While i did not like Lee either, I think we could have gotten a better defensive guy than Gilroy for him..

GUHH..

This series will come down to goaltending Lundqvist is on another Level.. But Anderson is IMO one of the more reliable goaltenders we have ever had... Awesome is all I can say..

Old
04-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Inf4mous0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantas View Post
Finally, the crowd was just awesome. From the "Alfie" chants, to "Andy", to booing Boyle...really lively, fun and just a great atmosphere overall.
Was my first playoff game as well, and the atmosphere was soooo fun. I wish it was like that there every game

Inf4mous0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:29 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post

I have no clue what Murray saw in him.. While i did not like Lee either, I think we could have gotten a better defensive guy than Gilroy for him..

GUHH..

This series will come down to goaltending Lundqvist is on another Level.. But Anderson is IMO one of the more reliable goaltenders we have ever had... Awesome is all I can say..
I thought Gilroy played a decent game, but for sure Carkner comes back in the lineup

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:34 AM
True Believer

1. This game was stolen by the Rangers. We dominated most of the 1st and 2nd periods.

2. Lundqvist is great but the system that the Rangers play also deserves a lot of the credit for this win. The guy is a sponge though. Rarely gave a bad rebound.

3. To the Spezza haters: go away. Please cheer for another team. Your constant hatred of one of our best players is hackneyed and tired. I am sick of the (largely bandwagon fans) who fail to recognize that Spezza has tightened up his game considerably from a few seasons ago. I realize you probably only watch the Sens during playoff time but stop pretending he is throwing out 5 blind drop passes a game like he used to. He is being swarmed by shutdown guys that are assigned to dog him all game. He is still one of the best players in the world and his regular season performance confirms that.

4. To the bandwagon jumpers and the rest of the people who want to hate on and nitpick the team: Please remember that we aren't even supposed to be here right now. Enough of the whining and complaining from people who seem to think anything short of a Stanley Cup win is a tragedy. Win or lose the future is very bright. Karlsson, Cowen and Greening have been very impressive considering this is their first time in the playoffs.

We were a bounce or two away from winning this game. Wednesday should be great.

True Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 12:57 AM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Believer View Post
1. This game was stolen by the Rangers. We dominated most of the 1st and 2nd periods.

2. Lundqvist is great but the system that the Rangers play also deserves a lot of the credit for this win. The guy is a sponge though. Rarely gave a bad rebound.

3. To the Spezza haters: go away. Please cheer for another team. Your constant hatred of one of our best players is hackneyed and tired. I am sick of the (largely bandwagon fans) who fail to recognize that Spezza has tightened up his game considerably from a few seasons ago. I realize you probably only watch the Sens during playoff time but stop pretending he is throwing out 5 blind drop passes a game like he used to. He is being swarmed by shutdown guys that are assigned to dog him all game. He is still one of the best players in the world and his regular season performance confirms that.

4. To the bandwagon jumpers and the rest of the people who want to hate on and nitpick the team: Please remember that we aren't even supposed to be here right now. Enough of the whining and complaining from people who seem to think anything short of a Stanley Cup win is a tragedy. Win or lose the future is very bright. Karlsson, Cowen and Greening have been very impressive considering this is their first time in the playoffs.

We were a bounce or two away from winning this game. Wednesday should be great.
To be fair I could probably count 4-5 blind passes by Spezz that were giveaways tonight..

Some of them were very irritating because he had the time to think and do something smarter with them..

This isn't what cost us the game tho. The only thing that cost us the game is a lucky shot.

I for one (even if we lost this series) am more than proud of my Sens.

Old
04-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARS View Post
Konopka is definitely a playoff player. For that reason alone I'd re-sign him(and this is coming from someone who couldn't wait for him to leave the team in the season)
Me too and I agree. At worst 13th guy. And I am in on the depth players. Butler had a horrible season really but he was among our best player tonight.. when almost everyone played a great game. We have serious depth.. 15 or 16 forwards deep.. real depth in that they can contribute in the playoffs. We have lots of players breaking out... but with what Winchester has done, what Konopka has done and even what Butler did this game.... What Carkner did in Game 2.... .We have a lot of decent NHL quality players... Plus Regin who in his limited games was very good... and he will be back.

What to do? I know one thing... we need to have a 23 man roster every day of the season next year and move guys in and out... and the black aces in the playoffs... well a lot of them will be good and contribute when they play. Butler might not play next game... if Alfie is back and he just had his best game this year and was one of our most dangerous players... I love the depth. We have more depth then ever... imagine Arnason being a deadline deal or Shuberty being a D and a Forward in the freaking Cup run. We have tons of depth... Grinder depth... talent depth too in Butler, Petersson, Hoffman, De Costa.... And more grinders then you can imagine.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbane sens fan View Post
I was thinking the same thing actually RE Spezza. Assuming Alfie is back something like:
Greening-Spezza-JOB
Foligno-Turris-Butler
Michalek-Smith-Alfie
Winnie-Konopka-Neil

If The 2nd line plays like it did tonight then they might draw attention and the smith line should command some respect.
Spezza can't contribute in these games.... obvious thing is to throw Alfie on his line because Alfie makes any line.... Foligno and Turris are getting tons of chances and doing well... Spezza is struggling... you want to make a line on the Senators work and you throw Alfie on it! So obvious! If Alfie plays on Wed.. it will be with Spezza for certain!

Old
04-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
Call me crazy, but I'm more confident that we can win this series now than I was before the game. I felt we were a bit lucky in game 2, but tonight we dominated more than either team has so far this series... without Alfie.
We played a perfect game... and still lost. I was happy after the game if a bit frustrated... it can go two ways.. we keep playing this perfect game with everyone playing hard and crushing the net and still lose because it is Ranger hockey we are playing.. or we were unlucky tonight and we outplayed the Rangers.. which I think we did and if we play this hard and this well we will inevitably get the bounces and win some games and the series. We played their game better then they did and they still won. Was it luck or are they able to win these trench fights?

Old
04-17-2012, 01:41 AM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Spezza can't contribute in these games.... obvious thing is to throw Alfie on his line because Alfie makes any line.... Foligno and Turris are getting tons of chances and doing well... Spezza is struggling... you want to make a line on the Senators work and you throw Alfie on it! So obvious! If Alfie plays on Wed.. it will be with Spezza for certain!
I tend to agree with trent though, in that i would like to try and get spezza away from giradi and mcdonagh. Alternatively, if they were to keep those two on spezza with that proposed lineup the turris and alfie line should be able to exploit their matchups

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
I'm sorry, but it's been a while since Spezza's been a force in a playoff game. Since we eliminated Buffalo in 07, we've played about 18 playoffs games, and Spezza had a huge impact in about 2 or 3 of those.

It's not just this series. Would I like to eat crow? Sure. I want to see him as the leader going forward, I really do.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:00 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

I said I'd leave this thread for a bit while the knee-jerkers acted life Leaf fans for 4 pages of negativity. (TRADE EVERYBODY!!).

Nice to be back among the land of the sane. Love the descriptions from the fellas who attended the game. Good to know SBP was electric.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:00 AM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
I'm sorry, but it's been a while since Spezza's been a force in a playoff game. Since we eliminated Buffalo in 07, we've played about 18 playoffs games, and Spezza had a huge impact in about 2 or 3 of those.

It's not just this series. Would I like to eat crow? Sure. I want to see him as the leader going forward, I really do.
That would be fantastic and what I fully expect from him. He had the spotlight tonight and was the guy we needed to step up and carry the offence and for 90% of the game he was trying to do too much and forcing plays that just weren't there. He definitely needs to be shooting more. If anyone can beat Lundqvist with a pure snipe it's Spezza, he had 34 goals in the regular season and he needs to be getting it on goal or at least creating rebounds. He was also trying to make way too many fancy paces from tough distances, was way too predictable and was not using the ice that the Rangers were giving him.

He needs to watch some game video and break down what it takes to get past Girardi/McDonagh and how to beat Lundqvist.

He IS a leader on this team and he needs to get it going on Wednesday. He's got another shot. I am his biggest fan, but he cannot keep coasting he needs to produce.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 02:05 AM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

The buzz from the crowd and atmosphere was on another level tonight. Definitely the loudest the building has been since the 07 finals. Soaking it all up, you can really tell everyone was ecstatic to have playoff hockey back and fans did everything we could to rally the team. There were many cases where it seemed the team fed off the energy of the crowd and it almost led to a goal.

In the last 5 minutes when everyone was still thinking the game could be tied, the whole , "Right Now" and "Your team needs you, you can make a difference" thing played and EVERYONE stood up. Sure that this was clearly seen on TV but what wasn't seen was how it spread throughout the building section by section. People were getting each other going and after a minute it was pure towel madness.

Also the chants.....Boyle, Lundqvist, Alfie, You Suck Ref and extremely emphatic Go Sens Go was just deafening. Was great to see and I was going as loud as I possibly could.

Well done Sens Army! We rocked SBP and we need to keep it up. Now to rest the voice and do it all again on Wednesday.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:11 AM
derriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
I was in the same boat as you. He's really impressed the hell outa me this playoff. Theirs a reason he was an AHL all-star in the past. The guy can play. He had to recreate his game to make the NHL though. He was my favourite player back in the day with the 67s when he played with Lance Galbraith. They terrorized OHL defences.
Holy god. I somehow have always overlooked his stats. He had a couple ppg or almost ppg years in the ahl. He had like 90 pts in 60 games in junior, and one of the ahl playoffs, he had like 24 points in 16 games.

I've always respected him for preserving for so long like Carkner, but I'm liking him more and more

I also wonder why O'brien hasn't gotten more pt. I thought Foligno and him were our best forwards in the first, but he got less and less ice as the game went on. He also played really well in game 2. I guess the stache just doesn't trust him enough yet

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 03:20 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

Quote:

Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't thnk he played that poorly..

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:00 AM
Kamina
Amok

vCash: 50
I love Spezza, he's my favourite player on the team. But if we're going to take this over the Rangers, he's got to play better.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Bilbo Baggins

To think that when we traded for Turris, I was not a real fan of the move, considering what we were giving up. I am now starting to really like this move. In a few years I think we could have a really strong 1/2 center combination. He just needs a few more pounds on him to really show what he can do in tough battles. I guess Murray does know what he is doing!

Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:31 AM
TSA0402

Quote:

GUHH..

I don't think Gilroy played a bad game last night. Playing better than when he started with this team. As a #6 if he can be ok defensively and be a marginal offensive guy, then its not the end of the world.

If this team plays this type of game for the next 4 games, they should win the series. Turris alone should have had at least three points.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 05:40 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 73
We played a good game for most part and probably should have walked away with the win. Lundqvist and Andy were both amazing tonight so props to them.

My only issue which has been talked about to death already is that all of our offense was being generated by our bottom 6. Even when Alfie is back I think so far these playoffs have shown that we need another elite top 6 winger.

That's what the next couple years will show us, whether we have one in Zibby or Silf or if we need to acquire one through free agency or trade.

What's done is done though so looking forward to Game 4.

04-17-2012, 05:57 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Spezza is trying to do too much. Great, he's throwing a few hits this series, but he's reverting to his drop passes and dipsy doodles. I have a feeling Alfredsson isn't going to be ready for game four. Spezza can't continue trying to do **** on his own.

Michalek.... it's like he's not even in the lineup.

Shout out to some of the "Bingo boys". Condra had a nice game, same with Butler.

Lundqvist is in God mode though. Going to take something either extra special to beat him, or it's going to take more shots of Del Zotto's skate.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Oh and on a positive note:

WTF Bobby Butler.
Yeah he was awesome.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote