HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Game 3 | Rangers vs Senators

Old
04-17-2012, 08:59 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Turris has blown my mind this series. I think this is the best he has played for us all year, and he still hasn't had his full training camp

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:03 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Turris has blown my mind this series. I think this is the best he has played for us all year, and he still hasn't had his full training camp
Yeah, he was also great in the playoffs for Phoenix as well. He has definitely played better than our number 1 centre.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Flamingo

vCash: 500
Lots of kudos to their D, but our D played pretty well too. Karlsson on the 2-on-1, Cowen winning the puck in the corners. There was a stretch (in the 2nd?) where they and our centres had way too many turnovers, when passed from down low hit the Rangers point man and they were able to keep the pressure on.

And Kuba with the stick-lift to prevent a sure goal. Play of the game.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:05 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
He's looking good for sure. I think it's a safe bet to say that if he adds some more strength he'll be even more dominant.

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

I really hope Spezza and Milo pull their head's out of their rear end's and show up next game. Frustrating.

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:23 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
Lots of kudos to their D, but our D played pretty well too. Karlsson on the 2-on-1, Cowen winning the puck in the corners. There was a stretch (in the 2nd?) where they and our centres had way too many turnovers, when passed from down low hit the Rangers point man and they were able to keep the pressure on.

And Kuba with the stick-lift to prevent a sure goal. Play of the game.
Even Big Rig and Gilroy did a good job on Richards and Gaborik.

A 1-0 game tells you that goaltending and defence for BOTH teams were a major factor.

Looking forward to Game 4. Our team plays better with their back up against the wall. They're like cobras yo!

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:33 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

One of the best games I have ever seen live, right from the opening anthem when the whole arena was singing Oh Canada, they were in it to the very last whitsle to end the game. If not for Lunquist & the other 5 goalies on the ice with him, it could have been a blow out for Ottawa. Ottawa certainly had their chances & without Alfredsson on the PP he was sorely missed. Kudos to the fans for making SPB rock last night.

I don't know what is going on with Spezza but it's what I have been saying about his game for yrs. Those stupid plays he tries to make are not working in the playoffs the way they were working for him in the regular season. He has to change his game to play a smarter puck management game & he has to play 200' just like Turris is playing. When he has an opportunity to shoot he has to shoot, stop with the fancy plays & always looking for the pretty play when it's ugly goals that win playoff games. At least with Michalek he plays a 200' game & makes good defensive plays.

We are also seeing the importance of Konopka as Maclean uses him for all the key faceoffs & then quickly takes him off the ice & on several occassions he was in the thick of it. I just wish someone would have gone after Boyle again in the 1st period to let him know it's still not over & take him off his game. O'Brien & Butler also had a good game in fact, all of the Calder Cup guys were good, just wish some of our vets would see that & step up. Both Kuba & Gonchar look old, slow & play very soft, Kuba especially just rarely hits anyone, really hope they do not re-sign him & are able to trade Gonchar next season. Really need to get a big physical defenseman for next season who plays a nasty game.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:46 AM
ILLESToO
Godspeed, Bryan....

Was at the game last night, little bit sad cause it was the first time I saw the Sens get shutout, drove 4 hours also to get there.. I have to say, I really like him, but Spezza was our WORST forward, BY FAR! It was crazy, seriously even John Scott would've been better and I am not kidding. He was absolutely pure **** out there, the only time I saw him was when he lost the puck or when he made a feed to Turris down low, he could have used his shot but I think it was the right play, if Turris was ready to get a pass and O'brien one timed the puck we would have been up 2-0, but things happen fast ...
I won't talk about Michalek cause I think everybody knows he goes as Spezza goes so. On defense I thought Kuba was so-so, I really liked Gonchar's game defensively, was surprised to see Travis Yost bash him on Twitter. Cowen was also solid in this game and Anderson deserved to win cause he made so huge saves, but at the end, Turris looked like our #1 center last night

ILLESToO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:50 AM
blahblah3

vCash: 10458
I don't have much faith in Spezza, as my posts indicate, but I think if he is going to get his **** together it will be by shooting more. It is the most obvious way he can improve his game at this point that will have immediate benefits. Also, get Michalek off that line, they don't work together.

blahblah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:50 AM
HavlatMach9

Guys I don't know if you don't understand it, but Spezza sucks up the best d-man pairing from each team. He needs wingers who can actually capitalize on the chances he creates. It puzzles me how he managed to score so much this season.

You can see he's creating chances but sometimes makes a pass instead of shooting. He's trying a little too hard but he'll be back to form in the remaining games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah3 View Post
Also, get Michalek off that line, they don't work together.
So we roll a two third liners with Spezza as our first line?

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Batali Crocs*

This one stung and will continue to sting a while longer. We should have won this game.

Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Jonathan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
One of the best games I have ever seen live, right from the opening anthem when the whole arena was singing Oh Canada, they were in it to the very last whitsle to end the game. If not for Lunquist & the other 5 goalies on the ice with him, it could have been a blow out for Ottawa. Ottawa certainly had their chances & without Alfredsson on the PP he was sorely missed. Kudos to the fans for making SPB rock last night.

I don't know what is going on with Spezza but it's what I have been saying about his game for yrs. Those stupid plays he tries to make are not working in the playoffs the way they were working for him in the regular season. He has to change his game to play a smarter puck management game & he has to play 200' just like Turris is playing. When he has an opportunity to shoot he has to shoot, stop with the fancy plays & always looking for the pretty play when it's ugly goals that win playoff games. At least with Michalek he plays a 200' game & makes good defensive plays.

We are also seeing the importance of Konopka as Maclean uses him for all the key faceoffs & then quickly takes him off the ice & on several occassions he was in the thick of it. I just wish someone would have gone after Boyle again in the 1st period to let him know it's still not over & take him off his game. O'Brien & Butler also had a good game in fact, all of the Calder Cup guys were good, just wish some of our vets would see that & step up. Both Kuba & Gonchar look old, slow & play very soft, Kuba especially just rarely hits anyone, really hope they do not re-sign him & are able to trade Gonchar next season. Really need to get a big physical defenseman for next season who plays a nasty game.
Totally agree with all that. What a great game it was. It's really fun to see that we are matching the NYR with intensity. I know we all expect more from Jason and Milan but it was really fun to see that they didn't get much from their two top line either.

Jonathan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Garden Faithful

that ottawa ice was perfect!

Garden Faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
This one stung and will continue to sting a while longer. We should have won this game.
Yup. A little of this, and a little of "I ain't even mad."

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden Faithful View Post
It was humid in Ottawa yesterday. **** happens.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:04 AM
blahblah3

vCash: 10458
If Alfredsson comes back I would put him on with Spezza and Greening. I'd rather see anyone other than Michalek with Spezza at this point. Unfortunately, I don't think we will be seeing Alfredsson next game.

blahblah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARS View Post
... Also, regarding the Rangers, I honestly think the only reason why they were first in the east is because of Lundqvist. The rest of their team is pretty mediocre, and the Flyers, Bruins, and, heck, even the Devils are head and tails better than the Rangers and are much more dangerous teams.
I'm a Rangers fan and I pretty much agree. Lundqvist made a non-playoff team into a regular playoff visitor, always the clear team MVP. Now that the team is playoff material, he got them into the 1st in the east. Sure, Gaborik has been great, Callahan always does his thing, Girardi, McDonagh and Del Zotto have been impressive most of the time, but we missed Staal most of the season and still miss Sauer. Richards was unimpressive most of the season.

Rangers very seldom dominate their opponents, they're not what you call a skill team (which you have probably seen by now ), they have to work really hard, which they have done basically the entire season. When Ottawa wins the board battles, you gain huge momentum, because that's what the Rangers have to win, to gain momentum of their own.

Ottawa's style of play suits the Rangers badly and everyone can see it's a close series, as expected. However, I still give the edge to the Rangers, mainly because of Lundqvist and perhaps better team depth. I don't think anyone thought this would be a sweep. It has been a very entertaining series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
The Rangers were 1st in the East for a reason.

Ryan McDonagh is one of the most underrated Dmen in the league. He's a good a shut down player as their is. What he's done on Spezza this series is amazing. Im in awe watching this kid play D.
He is quickly becoming an All-Star. After Staal's concussion, it has been him and Girardi shutting down the top opposition and most of the time, they do a really good job. McDonagh is big, physical and a great skater, which makes him a tough matchup against any offensive star.

I think you're too hard on Spezza in here, he hasn't had a cakewalk. I also have to say it's such a t(h)reat watching Karlsson. He's like a copy of Coffey.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden Faithful View Post
No surprise the best game of the series happened in Ottawa.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Iamok
#Panic

It was funny hearing the NYR fans try and claim that MSG > SBP atmosphere. Man, our crowd was sooo much better.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:15 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
It was funny hearing the NYR fans try and claim that MSG > SBP atmosphere. Man, our crowd was sooo much better.
IMO MSG had the worst atmosphere out of the 16 buildings so far. Their fans remind of Manchester City's in that they just sort of sit there and wait to be entertained. Its a very entitled group.

I'm really hoarse today, but it was all worth it. I'll be back for game 6.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:20 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Spezza was terrible and McDonagh and Girardi had no influence on that. He took what, 3 or 4 stupid minor penalties? He wasn't moving his feet at all. I mean you really expect to beat McD and Girardi while stationary? He made terrible decisions with the puck. Horrible giveaways and low percentage plays. Some were 0 % plays that had no chance of working. Countless times he turned the puck over at the blueline and the Rangers were off the other way. If you're too lazy to skate and create space for yourself, at least dump it in and get it deep, don't hand it on a silver platter to the other team.

Maybe the new baby at home played a part in this, but no way is playing against Girardi, McD and Lundqvist an excuse for his bad play. He has played well for the most part this year, he is capable of playing against top defensive players.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:24 AM
BrawlFan

I think you gotta put Alfie up with Spez for game 4 and let Turris go with Foligno and Butler/Silfv (CROSSING FINGERS!!!)

Rationale: Simple, Spez needs Alfie or a player like that to take some attention away. If Michalek would have been able to do it then we would have seen Spez with some more room but right now he's being checked so hard and noone is helping him out. Enter Alfie who is just the kind of player that can draw some of that attention.

Turris is playing strong but make no mistake we win/we lose with our big guns and Spez is our big gun.

EDIT: honestly it may even spark Michalek putting him with Turris because clearly he isn't playing well with a pass-first center so stick him with a shoot first center. We gotta juggle this TBH because we need to be more in control right now these chances are too fluky and they are playing some real real good defence

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:31 AM
coladin

vCash: 1413
I thought MSG was quite loud, probably the best I have ever heard it. I think that HBO series has really turned that team's fanbase to very passionate levels. THey really believein their team.

I do agree with that Ranger fan, Hank is a big reason for their seeding. They are not a highly skilled team but are well coached and do not stray from their game plan, their mission. To me, it is Devils hockey of yore. Frustrating to watch unless you are a fan of the team. Not a very exciting team. That is just how they play and Ottawa was very patient and had great opportunities, just could not score. It happens.

The arena had a young atmosphere, just bursting at the seams with energy. The kids are coming! Only a matter of time before the arena gets more passionate as the older folks will be pushed aside for the twentysomethings.

Spezza has to relax and just play. Same with Michalek, who has been more disappointing considering how much Spezza has to do as a center. When Milan struggles he looks SLOW.

Turris is going to be a pivotal piece for this franchise.

I liked everyone's game.

Neil? He did not do much? Not very engaged I thought. I don't think he is anywhere near 100%.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Synthetek

vCash: 408
Send a message via AIM to Synthetek
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah3 View Post
If Alfredsson comes back I would put him on with Spezza and Greening. I'd rather see anyone other than Michalek with Spezza at this point. Unfortunately, I don't think we will be seeing Alfredsson next game.
I'm going to agree with you, Greening/Spezza/Alfie and Foligno/Turris/Milo

Synthetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:46 AM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
I think you gotta put Alfie up with Spez for game 4 and let Turris go with Foligno and Butler/Silfv (CROSSING FINGERS!!!)

Rationale: Simple, Spez needs Alfie or a player like that to take some attention away. If Michalek would have been able to do it then we would have seen Spez with some more room but right now he's being checked so hard and noone is helping him out. Enter Alfie who is just the kind of player that can draw some of that attention.

Turris is playing strong but make no mistake we win/we lose with our big guns and Spez is our big gun.

EDIT: honestly it may even spark Michalek putting him with Turris because clearly he isn't playing well with a pass-first center so stick him with a shoot first center. We gotta juggle this TBH because we need to be more in control right now these chances are too fluky and they are playing some real real good defence
Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote