HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Line-up When The Nhl Returns!!

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

vCash: 500
Give me a break

Every Leaf contract except Sundin's and Tucker's expires at the end of the 2005-2006 season. It doesn't get more flexible than that. Belfour's 3rd year is an option which we don't have to take.

You guys are trying to say that teams now over the 30-35 million mark, which is about half the league, are going to be considered in violation of the cap right off the bat when hockey resumes. That's just not realistic, for a variety of reasons.

For example, do you realize how few players have contracts right now? Where are these guys supposed to play if only half the league can sign players? It's nonsense.

In your lineups that actually count in this discussion (ie 2005-2006 onwards), you haven't the foggiest clue what several of these guys will make next year or thereafter, so your +12 is completely meaningless, especially when there obviously can't be a cap penalty in year 1. You know Antropov, Poni, Kukumberg, and Steen's salary how, exactly?

Why do you have Tie Domi in the lineup for 2005-2006? His contract is over after this season. That's another 1.8 or whatever it is, I presume? How the blue heck is he getting that in a $35 million cap CBA? How do you know that the Leafs will resign Wilm, Kilger, Berg, Pilar, Belak and Perrott...and you even know their salaries too? Your predictions are totally baseless.

Again, the facts are very simple:

No matter what, salaries are going down, hard cap or tax. It's only a matter of degree.

For the first year of the new CBA, which is at the earliest 2005-2006 for a hard cap system, there is certainly going to have to be a grandfathering phase because half the league is over your cap figure right now.

The Leafs books are basically clean except for Mats, Tucker, and an option on Belfour at the conclusion of year 1 of the new CBA. How you have turned this into the Leafs' situation being totally bleak I really can't fathom.

If you think the Leafs are in crazy cap trouble when they have 1 long-term contract and only one or two players signed after next season, well then where does that leave the rest of the league??

Old
12-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Last edited by Volcanologist: 12-07-2004 at 08:55 PM. Reason: never mind
Old
12-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Every Leaf contract except Sundin's and Tucker's expires at the end of the 2005-2006 season. It doesn't get more flexible than that. Belfour's 3rd year is an option which we don't have to take.

You guys are trying to say that teams now over the 30-35 million mark, which is about half the league, are going to be considered in violation of the cap right off the bat when hockey resumes. That's just not realistic, for a variety of reasons.

For example, do you realize how few players have contracts right now? Where are these guys supposed to play if only half the league can sign players? It's nonsense.

In your lineups that actually count in this discussion (ie 2005-2006 onwards), you haven't the foggiest clue what several of these guys will make next year or thereafter, so your +12 is completely meaningless, especially when there obviously can't be a cap penalty in year 1. You know Antropov, Poni, Kukumberg, and Steen's salary how, exactly?

Why do you have Tie Domi in the lineup for 2005-2006? His contract is over after this season. That's another 1.8 or whatever it is, I presume? How the blue heck is he getting that in a $35 million cap CBA? How do you know that the Leafs will resign Wilm, Kilger, Berg, Pilar, Belak and Perrott...and you even know their salaries too? Your predictions are totally baseless.

Again, the facts are very simple:

No matter what, salaries are going down, hard cap or tax. It's only a matter of degree.

For the first year of the new CBA, which is at the earliest 2005-2006 for a hard cap system, there is certainly going to have to be a grandfathering phase because half the league is over your cap figure right now.

The Leafs books are basically clean except for Mats, Tucker, and an option on Belfour at the conclusion of year 1 of the new CBA. How you have turned this into the Leafs' situation being totally bleak I really can't fathom.

If you think the Leafs are in crazy cap trouble when they have 1 long-term contract and only one or two players signed after next season, well then where does that leave the rest of the league??
I can guess at rookie salaries because they have a max cap .. You want to add super stars Kariya and Kovalev and Pronger and you have problem with me adding kukumberg and Steen .. I don't if know Leafs will resign Wilm, Kilger, Berg, Pilar, Belak and Perrott... but you need players and they are the cheapest ones .. You can get rid of them unless you replace them with equal or less players .. Wilm makes 450 K, Perrott 450 k, Pilar 525 K, kilger 800 k .. How can you find cheaper ones then that ??

If the season started today Leafs have a full roster and a team Salary at 64 million.. That is $29 mil over the limit .. So you can't expect the league to allow the leafs to add Kovelev and Kariya and Lindros do you??

Then next year ... Roberts, Newy, Mogilny,Leetch and Domi the bigger contracts come off the books .. If you replace them with NO ONE

That is for the 5 players ..

$ 20,450,000.00 total

Coming off the books but you have to add at least 5 players to the roster to fill their spots the cheapest players are going to be players like Kukumberg that may be making in the 400 -500 k range not Kariya and Kovalev types ..

and that still puts them at least 10 million plus player additions over the limit.

Now 2 years from now I agree .. Leafs are in a better situation with all but Sundin and Tucker and option Belfour and possibly Nolan .. because if there is no season he gets an extra one added ..

but the whole point is it will take 2 years before the leafs are in a position to sign UFA .. but Pronger will be available next year .. Kariya, Kovalev, Lindros are available now .. are you expecting all these players to wait 1 year to 1 1/2 years (2004-05 & 2005-06) for the Leafs to get out of Salary Cap trouble .. They all could be long signed by then and will be .. Grandfathering means let current contracts expire without penalty.. That does not mean because Nolan contract will come off the books in 2 years you can sign Pronger today ..

The reason the situation is bleak because the Leafs have the HIGHEST Salary in the whole NHL right now under contract.. So that puts them in the worst situation with a a Hard Cap .. That only makes sense as far as new players goes but great for rookies like Steen and Kukumberg and possibly Wellwood.

You keep saying the Leafs will be punished HOW ??.. Sure they can't buy more players but if the season started soon they have a full team and a 64 Million dollar Team Salary. more than anyone .. Teams like the Bruins put themselves in buying mode they let their players go, now they can buy .. Leafs can't ..

next season Grandfathering takes 18-20 off the books still way over and no buying of UFA ..

Not until 2006-07 season can the Leafs rebuild and sign and resign available players ..

Last edited by Mess: 12-07-2004 at 09:52 PM.
Old
12-08-2004, 02:11 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Here is the link to the NHLPA current leaf salaries

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/Player...p?OIDTeam=9608

Old
12-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Sorry Messenger, but I'm all out of patience in this argument. That's it.

I've said what I have to say.

You keep talking about the Leafs alone as if this was specifically their problem, but you're ignoring the impossible logistics of applying a cap that low immediately to half the league's teams. Where are all the unsigned guys going to play? Under your scenario their choices would be quite limited. You haven't addressed this point as of yet. You're also ignoring how much lower salaries would have to be to make a cap like the one you're describing, and instead you keep quoting the Leafs' current payroll as if it meant something.

Old
12-08-2004, 10:43 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

You keep talking about the Leafs alone as if this was specifically their problem, but you're ignoring the impossible logistics of applying a cap that low immediately to half the league's teams. Where are all the unsigned guys going to play? Under your scenario their choices would be quite limited. You haven't addressed this point as of yet. You're also ignoring how much lower salaries would have to be to make a cap like the one you're describing, and instead you keep quoting the Leafs' current payroll as if it meant something.
I agree, the league would need to send about 100 players out to sea on ice floes in order to get every team under a $31 million hard cap.

Old
12-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

That's fine ... I am just pointing out that your expectations are TOO HIGH and realistically not possible .. I could see only one of your players Lindros being added, but he would take a low base heavy bonus short term contract and the league might allow that signing for the good of Hockey, in that after a lockout you want to get fans in, and allow a BIG MARKET over budget team one small "TURN A BLIND EYE" to being WAY OVER THE CAP.

The biggest point of the discussion is that the Owners want a Cap .. That is for their benefit ... They are not concerned about the players .. They want to make money and a Salary Cap forces Salaries down and profits up ..

THEY COULD CARE LESS WHERE KARIYA OR KOVALEV PLAY !!! IMO

They are today's ..UFA .. Next year the trend continues for more UFA ..Joe Nieuwendyk and Brian Leetch lose their NHL jobs in Toronto replaced by Steen and Colaiacovo.. Should the Leafs not show more loyalty and concern to their own UFA then Kariya & Kovalev in the big picture?? Why not try to free up Cap room in order to attempt to resign Leetch, why go looking for a replacement from someone else's castoffs ??

These current UFA can and will be sacrificed for the good of the game .. more younger cheaper players are coming along every day .. You're looking at it from the standpoint of the players here .. but that is why we have a lockout .. Owners are NOT PAYING the players, without money there Lives are worse not better.. and the UFA now are/will be the sacrificial Lambs in this whole mess or play on teams that have Cap Room .. Carolina, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Columbus etc ...or they can go play in Europe and their home countries..or play for peanuts like Kariya did last season ..

If the big $$$ teams wanted them they would have signed them already, under the old NO CAP SYSTEM, and then had them during the Grandfathering phase ....Once the new CBA is signed new player contracts will be subject to the new rules .. No Grandfathering for them that purpose is for the Nolan and Sundin type contracts that are valid & guaranteed under the old agreement, to expire normally without punishing the Teams financially for previous mistakes and large contracts ...

The Players are fighting this CAP bitterly because of what I said above. It lowers contracts and takes away jobs from established NHL players, and gives them to younger inexpensive players and draft picks .. The NHLPA is fighting to save Kariya and Kovalev and others jobs so that Steen type players not currently in this fight as non NHLPA members do not take NHLer's jobs just because they play for less money not because they are better .. In the old CBA teams bought UFA freely and for a draft pick to make the team he had to take the job away from the current NHLer because he was better .. Colaiacovo was sent back to junior , so Leafs could play Klee and Marchment etc.. NOW in a Cap world .. Carlo will be handed that job because of $$$ over skill and Alexei Zhitnik and Mathieu Schneider and other UFA lose their NHL jobs ... That's life in a Cap world ...

Leafs are stuck in the middle they make the most money currently based on last season figures, despite the broken down old CBA system, but as one of the 30 NHL teams must tow the line demanding a CAP .. That really does not benefit them with the on ice product .. but their gain is in their pockets and the teachers fund .. If they are making money now, imagine if you take that OVER THE CAP 29 million and put it into the pockets of the owners and shareholders how happy they will be.. The will live like Kings and Kariya and Kovalev will go where they can to earn a living but it will not be in Toronto, at least not for a few years until Toronto has fallen in line in the NEW CAP world and are free to replace current players with UFA ones, for less money ..

That is the bottom line ....

Last edited by Mess: 12-08-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old
12-08-2004, 01:16 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
I could see only one of your players Lindros being added, but he would take a low base heavy bonus short term contract and the league might allow that signing for the good of Hockey, in that after a lockout you want to get fans in, and allow a BIG MARKET over budget team one small "TURN A BLIND EYE" to being WAY OVER THE CAP.
What a way to piss the fans off even more!!!
Imagine them explaining that scenario:
Bettman:"It was neccesary to wipe out the 04/05 season because it was crucial to the survival of all 30 franchises that we get a hard cap"...."but the leafs can exceed the cap even further by signing Lindros"
Reporter:Why Gary?
Bettman:"Sorry i dont have time to answer anymore questions"...."I'm going to a basketball game with my buddies"

I know you weren't serious about suggesting the league would do something that would undermine their credibility to that extent,but if they did it would be one of the worst decisions Bettman has made yet,and thats saying alot!

Old
12-08-2004, 01:21 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
The biggest point of the discussion is that the Owners want a Cap .. That is for their benefit ... They are not concerned about the players .. They want to make money and a Salary Cap forces Salaries down and profits up ..
The HARD Cap means the Leafs CANNOT sign any player until they are under the Cap.

They might not even be able to re-sign Poni if they make the cap black and white. You're over, you're cooked. I see that as very much unreasonable, but it would fit with a HARD Cap.

I think some people believe that if they were to buy-out Nolan, they could use his money to sign some other player. The trouble is, the buy-out money normally is included in the cap. And buying-out Nolan doesn't get them under the cap, even without including the buy-out dollars.

They are so far over the owners demanded HARD Cap, that even if the entire team restructed their contracts they'd still be over.

Sundin 8, Nolan 6.5, Belfour 8, McCabe 4.5 what is that? 77% of a 35 million dollar cap. These guys are under contract for next year as well.

Best case scenarios:

League provides a one time window to buy-out all the players, with no impact on the cap.

Buy-outs at 2/3 rds. of remaining contract.

Sundin 21 million (4 years?)
Nolan 8 million (2 years)
Belfour 10 million (2 years)
McCabe 6 million (2 years)
Mogilny 3 million (1 year)

Of course that is without pro-rating this year's contracts to a 42 game schedule. SO maybe they could buy-out these guys for about 40 million, and sign them back at the 1/3 they they lost in the buy-out. Of course they'd be UFA, and could sign elsewhere for whatever amount.

The HARD cap that Bettman is after will cripple the Leafs for 2 years.

Old
12-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
I agree, the league would need to send about 100 players out to sea on ice floes in order to get every team under a $31 million hard cap.
My response from an Owners standpoint would be ...WHO CARES !!

it doesn't matter if it is 100 or a 1000 really in their minds ..

They play no part in the current teams Bottom line of Profit and Loss ..

My Response from a Players/NHLPA stand point would be .. Hey we are losing all our jobs here .. Who is going to fight to keep them... Their situation is no different then a big Manufacturing Plant or Retail Chain Laying Off or Shutting down .. They are unemployed just like UFA Hockey players in this situation .. They need to find work elsewhere, and Employers while sympathetic to their plights certainly could care less what happens once they are gone, or at least soon forgotten anyways ..

That is why we have a lockout Folks !!... Two sides fitting for completly opposite things ... and neither side cares about the others ...

The players do not care IF or HOW much money the Owners make or Lose each year as long as they get paid to feed their Families ..

The Owners do not care IF or HOW UFA players earn a living ..They only want to make a profit so they can feed their Families ...

Such is the hard cruel reality of life .. IN THE REAL WORLD .. Not just the HOCKEY WORLD !!!!!!!!!!

Old
12-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
What a way to piss the fans off even more!!!
Imagine them explaining that scenario:
Bettman:"It was neccesary to wipe out the 04/05 season because it was crucial to the survival of all 30 franchises that we get a hard cap"...."but the leafs can exceed the cap even further by signing Lindros"
Reporter:Why Gary?
Bettman:"Sorry i dont have time to answer anymore questions"...."I'm going to a basketball game with my buddies"

I know you weren't serious about suggesting the league would do something that would undermine their credibility to that extent,but if they did it would be one of the worst decisions Bettman has made yet,and thats saying alot!
Right .. You got the whole point of my post ...

I wanted others to look at it from the way you did .. and how it sounds and looks.

Here the league is in a lockout to get a Salary Cap and then when they get one they ignore all that and let Teams freely sign UFA despite being way over the amount agreed upon BY BOTH SIDES in a new CBA..

If realistically as you point out, even the Lindros at low base, high bonus contract sounds unbelievable, about a local Toronto boy returning home for the good of Hockey and the game.

Then how in the world could anyone explain the possibility of Toronto not only signing Lindros but Kariya, Kovlaev & Pronger to boot ???

(Not picking on you here Pep..just using your UFA names as the example here, other names could be substituted but the results and point the same)..

They would have no credibility in the eyes of anyone and this whole Cap and fight would mean nothing if it is completely ignored..

That is why Life in Toronto will change as a result, they will have to tow the line and cut spending and reduce Salary to fall in line and you do that by removing and lowering players and salary and replace the labour force with cheaper inexpensive replacements ...not HIGH PRICE UFA .. IMO ...

Are you not saying the exact say thing I am in your post but in different words..??

Old
12-08-2004, 01:58 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
The locked out players are of no concern to anyone, including the fans.

What we want is a Hard Cap and cost certainty, and since the plan is to seek an impasse with replacement players (which the fans have said they'd watch ) it is encouraging that some of the players who caused these problems will not be missed by those fans .

The unsigned players can take the jobs in Europe, Asia, wherever.

Old
12-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
The locked out players are of no concern to anyone, including the fans.

What we want is a Hard Cap and cost certainty, and since the plan is to seek an impasse with replacement players (which the fans have said they'd watch ) it is encouraging that some of the players who caused these problems will not be missed by those fans .

The unsigned players can take the jobs in Europe, Asia, wherever.
Hey you forgot the AHL and ECHL ... What makes Kariya and Kovalev Special ...

When the Leafs bring up Colaiacova and Wellwood and Wilm and Perrott and Stajan and Telly ... Look at all the Hockey jobs right there available alone that need to be filled!!!! ... The AHL has a 5 vet rule .. but hey if it helps get Kariya back on skates and feeding his Family I am even willing to bring up Ling and Druken if need be to the big Club to bring the Team Salary in line with a HARD CAP ...

Now Toronto might sign Lindros and Kariya and Kovalev ...and they might even get to play in Toronto next year .. but it will be the AHL and they will not be wearing Maple Leaf jersey's but the Baby Leaf ones and heck the colours are even the same ...

As silly as it sounds that scenario is CLOSER TO POSSIBLE then the Toronto Maples Leafs signing any UFA in a HARD CAP world for the next 2 years at least..

Good Question ULF ..

Why are Leaf fans concerned about what happens to Paul Kariya and Kovalev any more then the are about Hoglund and Lumme ???

Last edited by Mess: 12-08-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old
12-08-2004, 02:34 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I like what they've done to the Wild's first line and first defense pairing though:

Gaborik-Lindros-Kovalev

Schultz - Pronger

And they operate under the cap. Isn't that impressive?

Old
12-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I like what they've done to the Wild's first line and first defense pairing though:

Gaborik-Lindros-Kovalev

Schultz - Pronger

And they operate under the cap. Isn't that impressive?
Hey it works in Atlanta too with Heatley & Kovachuk and Lehtonen surrounded by Pronger, Lindros, Kariya and Kovalev .. and Columbus and

Hey don't forget Pittsburgh ..

Kovalev -- Lemieux -- Recchi
Kariya -- Evgeny Malkin -- Lindros

Pronger -- Jackman
MA Fleury

and still way under a cap of 35 million ..

What about Florida ... Luongo is their highest paid player at 2.4 Mil .. you could add all 4 of the big 4 UFA above to Luongo, Jokinen, Weiss, Nathan Horton, Boumeester, Huselius, Anthony Stewart, for the future and still have room under a cap..

Those are the kind of teams drooling for a Hard Cap ..Bettman's small market babies he is fighting so hard to protect from folding and having egg on his face for recent really bad expansion ideas ..

Don't worry guys these UFA will all find homes .. Just sadly not in Toronto is all..

Old
12-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Pulfy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdomi
Roberts Sundin Mogilny
Tucker Nieuwendyk Nolan
Stajan Antropov Domi
Belak Wellwood Perrot

Leetch Mccabe
Klee Kaberle
Berg Pilar
Berehowsky(7th)

Belfour- Tellqvist
i think coliaicivo should be in the roster

Old
12-08-2004, 03:07 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs_fan1001
i think coliaicivo should be in the roster
Torn eardrum, and concussion, he's out for weeks, maybe months.

Old
12-08-2004, 03:29 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Torn eardrum, and concussion, he's out for weeks, maybe months.
Where did the length of time he may be out information come from?

Old
12-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Hey it works in Atlanta too with Heatley & Kovachuk and Lehtonen surrounded by Pronger, Lindros, Kariya and Kovalev .. and Columbus and

Hey don't forget Pittsburgh ..

Kovalev -- Lemieux -- Recchi
Kariya -- Evgeny Malkin -- Lindros

Pronger -- Jackman
MA Fleury

and still way under a cap of 35 million ..

What about Florida ... Luongo is their highest paid player at 2.4 Mil .. you could add all 4 of the big 4 UFA above to Luongo, Jokinen, Weiss, Nathan Horton, Boumeester, Huselius, Anthony Stewart, for the future and still have room under a cap..

Those are the kind of teams drooling for a Hard Cap ..Bettman's small market babies he is fighting so hard to protect from folding and having egg on his face for recent really bad expansion ideas ..

Don't worry guys these UFA will all find homes .. Just sadly not in Toronto is all..
Heh.

I think you're completely out to lunch.

IMO there is no way the league is suddenly going to cater to poor teams that can't afford to spend more than the cap anyway, while punishing the successful teams that are pillars of the league by forcing them to cut players. I find this notion absolutely ridiculous.

I guess we'll see, but I think you are way off base here.

Old
12-08-2004, 03:55 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:

Are you not saying the exact say thing I am in your post but in different words..??
Yes.
They will allow those teams currently exceeding the cap to continue doing so until such time as it is no longer neccesary.They really have no choice.
And IMHO there can be no exceptions or this lockout will be viewed as a farce.

The more we discuss the lockout the easier it is to see why its such a difficult situation to resolve.And i doubt we've touched on 25% of the actual issues the 2 parties face.
Hope is fading.

Old
12-08-2004, 04:08 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Made it up ... based on the fact he can't fly, and has a concussion from taking a puck in the head, and on how you just don't know with a concussion. Some players can be out a couple games, and then we have others like that kid from Phoenix who was out months. Oh, and closer to home, McCauley...

Old
12-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Torn eardrum

Shedden said the team should be thankful for getting two points Tuesday, but any positive emotions were almost certainly dampened by the loss of defenceman Carlo Colaiacovo, who was struck on the side of the head by a shot in the third period.

“It’s a torn eardrum, as far as we know, and a concussion,” said Shedden, describing injuries that could keep Colaiacovo out for a long time.

Shedden shook his head when asked if he ever knew a young player who suffered so many unconventional injuries as Colaiacovo, who was sidelined for an extended period of time last season when he ran headlong into an open penalty-box door.

“No I don’t,” replied Shedden, “but he plays hard and unfortunately that’s meant he’s run into some bad injuries.”

http://www.thetelegram.com/news.aspx...&StoryID=25878

Old
12-08-2004, 04:15 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Heh.

IMO there is no way the league is suddenly going to cater to poor teams that can't afford to spend more than the cap anyway, while punishing the successful teams that are pillars of the league by forcing them to cut players. I find this notion absolutely ridiculous.

But these small market / poorly run teams are the reason for the Hard Cap demand.

If they are under this cap, the league isn't catering to them, just allowing them to operate within the new rules.

The teams over the cap have to operate within the rules as well, or else there is absolutely no reason to lock them out in the first place.

Leafs would be over the cap. No room to sign anyone, that is the entire point of a cap.

Old
12-08-2004, 04:18 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Torn eardrum

Shedden said the team should be thankful for getting two points Tuesday, but any positive emotions were almost certainly dampened by the loss of defenceman Carlo Colaiacovo, who was struck on the side of the head by a shot in the third period.

“It’s a torn eardrum, as far as we know, and a concussion,” said Shedden, describing injuries that could keep Colaiacovo out for a long time.

Shedden shook his head when asked if he ever knew a young player who suffered so many unconventional injuries as Colaiacovo, who was sidelined for an extended period of time last season when he ran headlong into an open penalty-box door.

“No I don’t,” replied Shedden, “but he plays hard and unfortunately that’s meant he’s run into some bad injuries.”

http://www.thetelegram.com/news.aspx...&StoryID=25878
I read that story too, still doesn't answer my question.

Old
12-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Heh.

Pep you have been living in the life of luxury for so long on the side of the Big Market teams being a Leaf Fan ..

The old CBA did the exact opposite it favoured the Big Market rich teams who could afford to sign all the TOP UFA while the small market ones had to sit around and just watch as the Guerin's, Belfour's, Hatcher's went for the big money ...

They said they want to even the playing surface for all teams to be equal .. They want a Hard Cap so that Calgary and Florida have as much chance as Toronto or Philly providing they have Cap room for the same UFA on the market...

In the old CBA agreement the weaker, small market teams sat around and watched the big market ones snap up the top UFA each year and get stronger ..

Now the shoe is on the other foot .. Big Market $$$ no longer will drive UFA and give them an advantage in the NHL .. In fact it becomes a direct disadvantage in the a CAP WORLD .. right now . They will for the next few years pay the price of free unlimited spending ..

The Leafs and Philly and Dallas and Colorado and Detroit and NYR and St. Louis will sit around on their hands and watch Columbus, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Phoenix, Florida, Nashville snap up all the PRIME UFA on the market ..

This advantage only last for the next few seasons though ... because once the grandfathering period and old contracts expire and all 30 teams are officially under the HARD CAP the playing surface for UFA is EQUAL AGAIN and all 30 teams can get into a bidding war for a Prime UFA and only Cap room available will determine who wins out in the bidding war .. The big market teams still hold an edge but it is no longer $$$ related but lifestyle related .. Do you want to live in Columbus or Toronto if both are offering $5 mil a season for a NHL SUPER STAR...in the NEW CBA

and you are right in a few years all salaries after the current ones expire will be lower in a cap world and eventually teams will look similar again to what a big market does now ....just cut all salaries in half lets say .. and you have a 35 Million dollar team .. Same names and faces just instead of 10 mil Pronger is making 5 and Nolan is making 3 mil instead of 6 ...and so on ..

That is what is going to happen and unfortunately Leaf fans and big market teams have been spoiled the past 5 years ..with unlimited spending for UFA and in fact are the ones mainly responsible for the mess in the first place

Edmonton is forced to trade Dougie Weight because they can't afford him and St Louis gives him 8 million and season ..and now players compare themselves to Weight and want the same money no matter what team they are on and 1/2 the NHL can't compete.

A Hard Cap puts an end to all the foolishness that has gone on for so long and Leafs have to pay the price for change and survival of the NHL ...Sad but True

Last edited by Mess: 12-08-2004 at 04:56 PM.
Closed Thread