HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/W Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL 2013 Draft)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2012, 08:51 AM
  #276
Izzy
Moderator
#SloveniaForGold2018
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,966
vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
I remember Drouin checking Cole murphy (#12) pretty tight and throwing his weight around... But not overly physical. Drouin has the vision that MacKinnon doesn't have, but Nate ran thru a couple guys tonight
Yeah, Mackinnon is kind of having a more energetic version of Frks play. That's how it somewhat looked to me tonight, although I don't know if he can match Frks shot.

But Drouin made an insane play last night across the paint (called off for being kicked in)

Izzy is online now  
Old
09-30-2012, 09:36 AM
  #277
tony d
The man
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,382
vCash: 500
Drouin looks like he's going to be the real deal. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in the future.

__________________
People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline  
Old
09-30-2012, 10:42 PM
  #278
Ched Brosky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 500
Just had a question for people who have seen him play. Is he really as good as people say or could he be somewhat of a product of Mackinnon/Frk like Esposito was of Radulov and Ebert was of Ellis

By somewhat I mean be more of a 2nd/3rd or even later round pick kind of player if it wasn't for his linemate

Ched Brosky is offline  
Old
09-30-2012, 10:51 PM
  #279
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
Just had a question for people who have seen him play. Is he really as good as people say or could he be somewhat of a product of Mackinnon/Frk like Esposito was of Radulov and Ebert was of Ellis

By somewhat I mean be more of a 2nd/3rd or even later round pick kind of player if it wasn't for his linemate
Take my comments for what they're worth (A Moosefan) but I can easily say No. They complement each other nicely, but not one of them is getting points (riding off coattails) because of the other. Drouin's everything; size, speed, hands, skill is noticeably better than last year. He can control the play and is calm as anyone on the ice with the puck, which he didn't as much last season.

RJQuack is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 11:40 AM
  #280
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,880
vCash: 500
Drouin is an amazing talent, it comes as no surprise to me that he's tearing it up...

He may go 1st... It's not unthinkable...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 12:01 PM
  #281
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Take my comments for what they're worth (A Moosefan) but I can easily say No. They complement each other nicely, but not one of them is getting points (riding off coattails) because of the other. Drouin's everything; size, speed, hands, skill is noticeably better than last year. He can control the play and is calm as anyone on the ice with the puck, which he didn't as much last season.
Size? Isn't he a bit undersized?

Circulartheory is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 12:09 PM
  #282
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Size? Isn't he a bit undersized?
I saw measurements that had him at 5'8'' 160 lbs after he was drafted in the Q and he's now up to 5'11'' (5'10.5'' officially) 190 lbs (187 officially), so he's definitely put on some size.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 12:18 PM
  #283
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,369
vCash: 500
5'11 190 is the same as Giroux, not big but not a smurf. Players with that kind of skill and smarts make it work

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 01:06 PM
  #284
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,693
vCash: 500
Well, I'm not trying to call him criminally undersized, but if there was one thing he was lacking, it would probably be size.

Circulartheory is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 01:26 PM
  #285
NS Bluenoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Size? Isn't he a bit undersized?
He was referring to improvement over last year... not his size overall as it relates to typical size.

He put on weight and is much stronger this year.

NS Bluenoser is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 01:32 PM
  #286
Stoneberg
Bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
Just had a question for people who have seen him play. Is he really as good as people say or could he be somewhat of a product of Mackinnon/Frk like Esposito was of Radulov and Ebert was of Ellis

By somewhat I mean be more of a 2nd/3rd or even later round pick kind of player if it wasn't for his linemate
Season ticket holder here. He's already way better than Frk as far as I'm concerned, based on the playoffs last season and the start of this season. Definitely not a product of Mackinnon either, I'm confident he would rip up on a separate line without any issue. It pains me to say, as a Cole Harbour native, but it's not outside the realm of possibility for him to compete with or surpass Nate in the draft based on the development I've seen.

Stoneberg is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
  #287
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
Season ticket holder here. He's already way better than Frk as far as I'm concerned, based on the playoffs last season and the start of this season. Definitely not a product of Mackinnon either, I'm confident he would rip up on a separate line without any issue. It pains me to say, as a Cole Harbour native, but it's not outside the realm of possibility for him to compete with or surpass Nate in the draft based on the development I've seen.
That seems to be what everyone who has seen the two play recently says, and I don't disagree.

Breakfast of Champs is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 02:54 PM
  #288
Izzy
Moderator
#SloveniaForGold2018
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,966
vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Well, I'm not trying to call him criminally undersized, but if there was one thing he was lacking, it would probably be size.
Doesn't seem to be done growing though, got a lot taller since last season, and has time to build actual mass

Izzy is online now  
Old
10-01-2012, 03:37 PM
  #289
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,218
vCash: 500
Slick hands. I prefer this goal than Mac's previous goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwcy4zxfEMc

Jabba11 is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 05:22 PM
  #290
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 610
I really don't know much about Drouin or Mackinnon as I am from Toronto. I apologize if this has already been answered/discussed early in the thread but I really don't want to look through that many pages to find out

I was just wondering if any of you could give me a glimpse of..

Style of play, Closest NHL comparable, potential NHL impact (Line, point totals) of either player.

JVReemer is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 05:56 PM
  #291
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 32,979
vCash: 69
Hold up, you guys really think he could potentially surpass Mackinnon? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not unthinkable (RNH and Landeskog came out of nowhere and b**** slapped Couturier out of the top spot) but with all the hype Nate's been getting that's saying a lot if Drouin can surpass him.

DuckJet is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 05:59 PM
  #292
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
I don't think Drouin will challenge Mackinnon for #1. He's easily one of the most improved players, and has boatloads of skill, and may even put up more points this season, but MacKinnon still looks great, and a better prospect.

RJQuack is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 06:17 PM
  #293
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,880
vCash: 500
Drouin's a riser...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 07:28 PM
  #294
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 20,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I really don't know much about Drouin or Mackinnon as I am from Toronto. I apologize if this has already been answered/discussed early in the thread but I really don't want to look through that many pages to find out

I was just wondering if any of you could give me a glimpse of..

Style of play, Closest NHL comparable, potential NHL impact (Line, point totals) of either player.
Nate - Hossa/Kovalchuk
Drouin - Eberle/Giroux

Nate has always been the number 1 guy for 2013 but Drouin has improved drastically over time. Both could go top 5 IMO.

mapes is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 07:53 PM
  #295
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Hold up, you guys really think he could potentially surpass Mackinnon? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not unthinkable (RNH and Landeskog came out of nowhere and b**** slapped Couturier out of the top spot) but with all the hype Nate's been getting that's saying a lot if Drouin can surpass him.
Its possible for sure. Not likely, but possible.

So far this season Drouin has looked better, and his patience with the puck/decision making under pressure has been out of this world. MacKinnon has looked good but he still rushes his decisions occasionally or gets ahead of himself with his hand speed and loses possession. Drouin has the best hands/vision of any 2013 eligible I have seen, and its not close.

Breakfast of Champs is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 08:07 PM
  #296
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 20,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Its possible for sure. Not likely, but possible.

So far this season Drouin has looked better, and his patience with the puck/decision making under pressure has been out of this world. MacKinnon has looked good but he still rushes his decisions occasionally or gets ahead of himself with his hand speed and loses possession. Drouin has the best hands/vision of any 2013 eligible I have seen, and its not close.
Yup. Nate has more skill (not a knock at Drouin, he has a lot of skill too) but Drouin has a lot more hockey IQ. One hell of a passer too.

Thing with Drouin that I heard. He no showed Halifax until December because "he wasn't ready" and worked on getting bigger and not getting knocked around as easily. That shows the dedication he has IMO.

mapes is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 08:10 PM
  #297
Ryan English
@ryanenglish_FC
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Drouin compares well to Marty St.Louis. He creates offense constantly through his hands and agility, and he is creating almost as much offense as Nate to start this year. I think Drouins offense is more sustainable as he uses more IQ and patience to make plays than Nate, who uses his physical tools such as acceleration and strength.

I feel their ceiling is similar, both have All-star potential but I think Drouin tops out about #5-8, and Mackinnon still goes #1 because his game translates well to the Pros.

Ryan English is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 08:22 PM
  #298
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,880
vCash: 500
Drouin will go top 5....

He shouldn't of stayed in AAA....


He would be even more dominant...

I don't see a St.Louis comparison.... He's not small enough..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 08:30 PM
  #299
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Drouin will go top 5....

He shouldn't of stayed in AAA....



He would be even more dominant...

I don't see a St.Louis comparison.... He's not small enough..
Eh, I don't think it matters at this point.

He wanted to get stronger and possibly keep his NCAA eligibility (never heard about him even having a verbal commitment, but I'll take his word for it) and made the decision to join the Moose when he felt comfortable.
It didn't hurt him or anything and he's adapted to league very well.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
10-01-2012, 10:01 PM
  #300
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Eh, I don't think it matters at this point.

He wanted to get stronger and possibly keep his NCAA eligibility (never heard about him even having a verbal commitment, but I'll take his word for it) and made the decision to join the Moose when he felt comfortable.
It didn't hurt him or anything and he's adapted to league very well.
It slowed him down...

NCAA was him bluffing and getting more money..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.