HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/W Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL 2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2012, 11:18 PM
RJQuack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Yup. Nate has more skill (not a knock at Drouin, he has a lot of skill too) but Drouin has a lot more hockey IQ. One hell of a passer too.

Thing with Drouin that I heard. He no showed Halifax until December because "he wasn't ready" and worked on getting bigger and not getting knocked around as easily. That shows the dedication he has IMO.
Yeah, Bobby Smith's per$$$$$istance paid off in getting him here. He's a dedicated fellow to the Moo$$$$e

Old
10-01-2012, 11:19 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Drouin's a riser...
Aboslutely. Nowhere to go but up.... But I don't think he gets to #1/2.... Could be Huberdeau like riser though.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Aboslutely. Nowhere to go but up.... But I don't think he gets to #1/2.... Could be Huberdeau like riser though.
He's gonna outplay Shinkaruk IMO.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:28 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
He's gonna outplay Shinkaruk IMO.
Would be a good test, and gauge how good Drouin actually is. Shinkaruk is already an established high scoring winger in the dub, so it's a tall order...

I think Drouin doesn't make the WJC's, which would give him 68 games or so. If he plays a full year I think he'll hit 100+

Old
10-02-2012, 12:41 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

What exactly was that Halifax mini hold out all about? He's bound to get interrogated at the combine interviews about it. Scared to he too far from home? Nervous about jumps in competition? Simply wanted more money? What?

10-02-2012, 01:03 AM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
What exactly was that Halifax mini hold out all about? He's bound to get interrogated at the combine interviews about it. Scared to he too far from home? Nervous about jumps in competition? Simply wanted more money? What?
We'll never truly know. Some say it was becaue the parents saw the package Jonathan's good friend Duclair got, or Nathan's, and wanted a $$$imilar deal. But maybe he actually didn't feel he was ready for major junior. Which clearly wasn't the case. He had something like 27 points in 10 LSL Games.

Old
10-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Hold up, you guys really think he could potentially surpass Mackinnon? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not unthinkable (RNH and Landeskog came out of nowhere and b**** slapped Couturier out of the top spot) but with all the hype Nate's been getting that's saying a lot if Drouin can surpass him.
That makes no sense. Yes they were drafted ahead of him, but you could argue why? Couturier played with mono and still ended the year with 96 points in 58 games, 5th in league scoring, and a 1.66 PPG pace. Nuge was at a 1.54 PPG but Land was 47th in OHL scoring with 66 points in 53 games...a 1.25 PPG pace.
I would not say that Land did anything to to affect Couts.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:19 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
We'll never truly know. Some say it was becaue the parents saw the package Jonathan's good friend Duclair got, or Nathan's, and wanted a $$$imilar deal. But maybe he actually didn't feel he was ready for major junior. Which clearly wasn't the case. He had something like 27 points in 10 LSL Games.
All of the above!

1 - The kid was 5"9 - 155 lbs ending his 1st Midget year, by the time he got to Halifax, he grew and was passed 180 lbs. He wanted to wait and bulk up a little.

2 - The package was already on the table prior to the draft

3 - He had nothing more to prove at the Midget level

Old
10-02-2012, 12:22 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
That makes no sense. Yes they were drafted ahead of him, but you could argue why? Couturier played with mono and still ended the year with 96 points in 58 games, 5th in league scoring, and a 1.66 PPG pace. Nuge was at a 1.54 PPG but Land was 47th in OHL scoring with 66 points in 53 games...a 1.25 PPG pace.
I would not say that Land did anything to to affect Couts.
I agree with Duckjet, this kid can rocket up the rankings in a heartbeat. Maybe not passed the consensus 1st and 2nd draft, but pretty close to them. I would take Drouin over Lazar/Monahan in a heart beat, for example.

And there is such a thing of trying to predict "potential" of a player (upside). What will the player become 5 to 10 yrs from now. As of last season, I would say RNH and Landeskog had a better start to their NHL debut then Couturier. Hence, thus far, those who took these 2 prior to Couturier were right on the money.

Same with Drouin, he has lots of upside to his game, now a full year in the Q will reveal how much upside over the other players he truly has.

But predicting upside and potential is definetely not an exact science!

Last edited by hockey365: 10-02-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old
10-02-2012, 02:31 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey365 View Post
I agree with Duckjet, this kid can rocket up the rankings in a heartbeat. Maybe not passed the consensus 1st and 2nd draft, but pretty close to them. I would take Drouin over Lazar/Monahan in a heart beat, for example.

And there is such a thing of trying to predict "potential" of a player (upside). What will the player become 5 to 10 yrs from now. As of last season, I would say RNH and Landeskog had a better start to their NHL debut then Couturier. Hence, thus far, those who took these 2 prior to Couturier were right on the money.

Same with Drouin, he has lots of upside to his game, now a full year in the Q will reveal how much upside over the other players he truly has.

But predicting upside and potential is definetely not an exact science!

This is my only problem with your pot, other than that I agree. I agree that Drouin has the potential to pass those two but right now Monahan is way ahead of Drouin, Lazar is ahead but not as much as Monahan. To say you'd take him over them right now in a heart beat is foolish.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:13 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Drouin got cold feet after Duclair got a sweet deal... They were supposed to graduate together and win a Telus cup... Then go to Dubuque and BC together...

Drouin would of stayed AAA had Duclair stayed..

He got bored after scoring 60 points in 20 games...

Old
10-02-2012, 04:55 PM
jfb392

Quote:
It slowed him down...

NCAA was him bluffing and getting more money..
How did it slow him down?
He came into the Q bigger and stronger and full of confidence.
He played great from the start and has only gotten better.

You know an awful lot about these LSL kids.
Sounds like someone that used to post here that mysteriously disappeared..

Old
10-02-2012, 05:19 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
about time someone other than me figured it out

Old
10-02-2012, 10:59 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 100
Thanks for the info!

Old
10-02-2012, 11:34 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
This is my only problem with your pot, other than that I agree. I agree that Drouin has the potential to pass those two but right now Monahan is way ahead of Drouin, Lazar is ahead but not as much as Monahan. To say you'd take him over them right now in a heart beat is foolish.
I'm thinking looooooong term, hence, if I was a GM, I would take Drouin over the others mentioned here. You don't have to agree, this is my opinion. His play makin abilities have not surfaced the draft year in couple years.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:37 PM
hockey365

Quote:

Totally agree! The LSL organization, made certain that he wouldn't miss a beat. They made him play every 2nd shift, made sure he was training before and after practices.

It took him a couple games to adjust to the speed of the Q game, but after that he took off like a rocket.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:49 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Drouin got cold feet after Duclair got a sweet deal... They were supposed to graduate together and win a Telus cup... Then go to Dubuque and BC together...

Drouin would of stayed AAA had Duclair stayed..

He got bored after scoring 60 points in 20 games...
This was Duclair's path you're describing here, Drouin has difficulty in school, while Duclair is a strong student.

The Remparts offered Duclair something he couldn't say no, he'll still go to BC or a US college of his choice next Sept, online during the season and on campus during summers, all paid by the Remparts. And until he graduates, even if he turns pro. The video of the press conference is still on the Rempart's website, listen to it. Name me 1 other CHL player who has a similar deal.

Now, if Duclair was advocating school and didn't take this deal, bubbed "best of both worlds", he would be lying!

Drouin on the other hand wanted to go to Halifax since day 1, but knew he wasn't ready. Especially, after seen the class of 94s being complete failures as 16 yr olds. Only Hudon had a strong season. This scared Drouin and wanted to take his time developping.

They knew their paths would be diffirent after Midget. They knew they had 1 shot at the Telus Cup, but came short.....

Old
10-02-2012, 11:55 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
No serious team wanting this kid will care about this question. They might ask, but they all know the game. And in any case every single player is paid $$$! Drouin, Duclair and Mackinnon's present "package" is chump change for the lowers paid player on any NHL team. GMs won't give a hoot!

Old
10-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Tripod

Goal and an Assist last night. 10 points in 5 games.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:01 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:

He was always too good... My opinion is that it was money, his feet were cold around the time Duclair left...

I work in LSL hockey, and I spend enough time at rink to hear things... Not saying they are true... It's very easy for things to spread around here...

Old
10-03-2012, 12:41 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey365 View Post
This was Duclair's path you're describing here, Drouin has difficulty in school, while Duclair is a strong student.

The Remparts offered Duclair something he couldn't say no, he'll still go to BC or a US college of his choice next Sept, online during the season and on campus during summers, all paid by the Remparts. And until he graduates, even if he turns pro. The video of the press conference is still on the Rempart's website, listen to it. Name me 1 other CHL player who has a similar deal.

Now, if Duclair was advocating school and didn't take this deal, bubbed "best of both worlds", he would be lying!

Drouin on the other hand wanted to go to Halifax since day 1, but knew he wasn't ready. Especially, after seen the class of 94s being complete failures as 16 yr olds. Only Hudon had a strong season. This scared Drouin and wanted to take his time developping.

They knew their paths would be diffirent after Midget. They knew they had 1 shot at the Telus Cup, but came short.....
Yes sorry your right... My bad... And yes Duclair got a very very sweet deal...

LSL double shifting Drouin wasn't about developing... They did the same with DeLuca...

It was about winning...

I confused the Boston College part... But I know those 2 go back...

I'm sure their was a 95 BC commit that was going there.... Gauthier ??

Old
10-05-2012, 08:19 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

2 points so far, Mackinnon with a secondary assist.

Battle of the Jonathans, damn I really want to watch this game...

Old
10-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
12 points in 6 games as of now, 6th game not yet over.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:25 PM
jfb392

Third point of the night, primary assist on Andrew Ryan's game tying goal.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
You sure? QMJHL site indicates he did not get an assist.

Closed Thread