HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/W Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL 2013 Draft)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-15-2012, 05:07 PM
  #376
Leehh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Canada
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzerman View Post
Easily a top-5 talent IMO. Elite stick skills like the ones Drouin has are super rare to find. He is so damn fun to watch.
Teravainen > Drouin and it's not even close.

Btw last year almost everyone here were bashing teravainen 'he's way too small to play in NHL' yet you're praising Drouin who is same height and just 15pounds heavier, denial much?

Also teravainen is better skater than Drouin, so shall we already start to bash him for hes size?

Leehh is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 06:01 PM
  #377
Money Baer
Unsustainable
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Westeros
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Teravainen > Drouin and it's not even close.
Care to elaborate on this bold statement? Teravainen is further ahead in his development, but to say "it's not even close" when Drouin has been tearing it up, and showing nothing but high end skill seems a little off.

I agree that as of right now Teravainen > Drouin ... but it's not such a great gap as you would suggest.

Looking forward to hear your reasoning.

Money Baer is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 06:39 PM
  #378
Leehh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Canada
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Care to elaborate on this bold statement? Teravainen is further ahead in his development, but to say "it's not even close" when Drouin has been tearing it up, and showing nothing but high end skill seems a little off.

I agree that as of right now Teravainen > Drouin ... but it's not such a great gap as you would suggest.

Looking forward to hear your reasoning.
Well, if you did watch them U-18 tournees last year you probably noticed Teravainen's stick handling skills is something special, only current NHLers do have better hands than he does. Look at 1:28 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLXU2S-d1k0

Leehh is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 06:46 PM
  #379
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 4,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Well, if you did watch them U-18 tournees last year you probably noticed Teravainen's stick handling skills is something special, only current NHLers do have better hands than he does. Look at 1:28 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLXU2S-d1k0
I'm not sure how that helps your argument at all. We all know Teuro has unreal hands. You're comparing two players and not even taking into account Drouin at all.

Pilgore88 is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 07:02 PM
  #380
Leehh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Canada
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
I'm not sure how that helps your argument at all. We all know Teuro has unreal hands. You're comparing two players and not even taking into account Drouin at all.
Was comparing their stick handling skills, apparently i did forget to mention it on my first reply.

Leehh is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 07:06 PM
  #381
Money Baer
Unsustainable
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Westeros
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 50
Yes Tevu has some great stickhandling abilities, but a small clip doesn't really support your bold statement. I think it's a little premature to say "It's not even close" when comparing the two.... Drouin has been playing like a top 5 pick since last years playoffs... We could easily be saying in a couple years Drouin > Tevu "not even close".

Why not wait and see?

Money Baer is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 07:15 PM
  #382
Leehh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Canada
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Yes Tevu has some great stickhandling abilities, but a small clip doesn't really support your bold statement. I think it's a little premature to say "It's not even close" when comparing the two.... Drouin has been playing like a top 5 pick since last years playoffs... We could easily be saying in a couple years Drouin > Tevu "not even close".

Why not wait and see?
He haven't assisted many goals this year so can't find any highlights, i think it will take way more than couple of years if he even surpasses Teravainen on stickhandling, since that's one of the things you kinda born with. I personally know few guys who have worked on their stick handling for something like two decades and they not even half good as teravainen is.

Leehh is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 07:18 PM
  #383
canucksPK
Registered User
 
canucksPK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Okanagan BC
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
teravainen and drouin are both phenomenal, and even though I think Teravainen was a top 6 player in 2012, I'd have to say there's more to like about drouin and he's a better prospect.

canucksPK is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 07:25 PM
  #384
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
 
Patmac40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Was comparing their stick handling skills, apparently i did forget to mention it on my first reply.
It still doesn't back up your argument though. Drouin does that kind of thing every game. He has at least one time a game where he just dipsy-doodles around defenders and sets up a play. If you're basing it off that one clip then him and Drouin have pretty similar stick-handling abilities. This isn't a bash on Teravainen at all but if he really has the ability (which I believe he does), that video doesn't do it justice.

here's him showcasing his stick-handling at top speed. Does it prove that he's a better stick-handler? No. But it shows that he has that elite stick-handling that Teravainen has.

Patmac40 is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 07:45 PM
  #385
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,934
vCash: 500
what was the real story behind why he wouldn't report the first half of last year?

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 07:51 PM
  #386
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 22,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
what was the real story behind why he wouldn't report the first half of last year?
I heard he felt he wasn't ready, some say he just wanted to stay close to home, others say he was bribed I don't know if it has been confirmed.

mapes is online now  
Old
10-15-2012, 07:57 PM
  #387
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,843
vCash: 500
Who sees enough of both Jokerit and Halifax to say which player is better "AINEC"? Seriously.

I'm in the States and I'm over the moon happy to seen one CHL game every Friday night, one Jr. tournament in the winter (U20s), one in the spring (Mem Cup), and maybe a dozen and a half D1 NCAA games a year.

How are you guys regularly watching both the QMJHL and SM-Liiga? How can I get in on that action? Please PM me, because I'd love to be able to watch any hockey game in the world.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 08:06 PM
  #388
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
what was the real story behind why he wouldn't report the first half of last year?
Here is the story in the Halifax Chronicle-Herald that came out when Drouin finally signed with the Moose.

Here is the story I put up today at TheHockeyWriters-Combine.

Did Bobby Smith have to offer any special inducements? - there is nothing that has come out to that effect to my knowledge.

ikelechien is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 08:09 PM
  #389
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
How many games have you seen this year lehhh? Drouin's hands are unreal, so to say it's not even close is comical... I can't comment on Teuvo because I haven't seen much, just like you clearly haven't seen much of Drouin.

Edit: how much does Teuvo weigh? I thought he was around 160-165... Drouin is 192.

RJQuack is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 08:17 PM
  #390
conway902
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
Teravainen > Drouin and it's not even close.

Btw last year almost everyone here were bashing teravainen 'he's way too small to play in NHL' yet you're praising Drouin who is same height and just 15pounds heavier, denial much?

Also teravainen is better skater than Drouin, so shall we already start to bash him for hes size?
15lbs is a huge difference for a teenager, I'm not sure what your getting at.

conway902 is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 08:22 PM
  #391
conway902
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
How many games have you seen this year lehhh? Drouin's hands are unreal, so to say it's not even close is comical... I can't comment on Teuvo because I haven't seen much, just like you clearly haven't seen much of Drouin.

Edit: how much does Teuvo weigh? I thought he was around 160-165... Drouin is 192.
I might get flamed for this but I would take Drouin every time and I would take him over anyone outside the top 3 in the 2012 draft.

conway902 is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 08:27 PM
  #392
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by conway902 View Post
15lbs is a huge difference for a teenager, I'm not sure what your getting at.
Jokerit site has him at 170 lbs. so it's more than 15 pounds it looks like.

RJQuack is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 08:30 PM
  #393
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by conway902 View Post
I might get flamed for this but I would take Drouin every time and I would take him over anyone outside the top 3 in the 2012 draft.
I agree. Although there weren't too many forwards selected in the first half of last years first round. Drouin's stock has risen big time this year already and it's warranted. After MacKinnon, Jones, Mnahan, Barkov I think he could be the best forward.

RJQuack is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
  #394
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Jokerit site has him at 170 lbs. so it's more than 15 pounds it looks like.
OK, HalifaxDucks, let me know if I am overstating the point when I say that the size issue with Drouin is becoming a non-issue especially since he just came through a growth spurt and may have another one left in store and 5'11 and 190 is quite acceptable at 17. Granted strength is still something he has to work on, however, he is unlikely to fall in the draft like Teravainen because one of the reasons Teravainen fell was because of size and strength.

As to who is better, that is still to be determined, they are different players. Teravainen has skating and stickhandling as his core assets; Drouin has vision and passing. Who will be better, wait five years. My money is on Drouin because I think there are fewer unknowns with him - could I be wrong; let me know in five years.

ikelechien is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 08:46 PM
  #395
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,934
vCash: 500
I find the comparison b/w the two of them odd, esp. b/c of the size difference. from what i've seen of drouin he doesn't really remind me of teuvo.

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 08:48 PM
  #396
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
OK, HalifaxDucks, let me know if I am overstating the point when I say that the size issue with Drouin is becoming a non-issue especially since he just came through a growth spurt and may have another one left in store and 5'11 and 190 is quite acceptable at 17. Granted strength is still something he has to work on, however, he is unlikely to fall in the draft like Teravainen because one of the reasons Teravainen fell was because of size and strength.

As to who is better, that is still to be determined, they are different players. Teravainen has skating and stickhandling as his core assets; Drouin has vision and passing. Who will be better, wait five years. My money is on Drouin because I think there are fewer unknowns with him - could I be wrong; let me know in five years.
Drouin has passing, vision, and probably the best hands in the draft.

Breakfast of Champs is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 09:01 PM
  #397
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Drouin's moves are just sick. Want habs to draft.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 09:02 PM
  #398
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
what was the real story behind why he wouldn't report the first half of last year?
Remember hearing it was cause he wanted to graduate with his friends at PC, but I could be wrong though.

shello is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 09:36 PM
  #399
Leehh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Canada
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
How many games have you seen this year lehhh? Drouin's hands are unreal, so to say it's not even close is comical... I can't comment on Teuvo because I haven't seen much, just like you clearly haven't seen much of Drouin.

Edit: how much does Teuvo weigh? I thought he was around 160-165... Drouin is 192.
I've seen 10 games of tt this year and 4 drouin's. Drouin has some good hands but they don't match teuvo's. Drouin is more like 180lbs not 192lbs, you just can't keep the off season weight on, and yes i'm speaking from experience.

Leehh is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 09:50 PM
  #400
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
I've seen 10 games of tt this year and 4 drouin's. Drouin has some good hands but they don't match teuvo's. Drouin is more like 180lbs not 192lbs, you just can't keep the off season weight on, and yes i'm speaking from experience.
Jonathan , himself, stated this week he is currently 5'10 3/4 and 190 lb. The game is not just about hands, it is also about between the ears. It is between the ears, the vision, that Drouin has it above his peers including Teuvo.

And I said before, who will turn out better, let me know in five years.

ikelechien is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.