HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/W Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL 2013 Draft)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-15-2012, 09:07 PM
  #401
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
 
Patmac40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
I've seen 10 games of tt this year and 4 drouin's. Drouin has some good hands but they don't match teuvo's. Drouin is more like 180lbs not 192lbs, you just can't keep the off season weight on, and yes i'm speaking from experience.
Speaking from experience, it's damn hard to lose 10 pounds in just a month's worth of games and practices because on top of the cardio you're still gaining muscle mass. He'll likely drop to about the 184-185 range at season's end. He already said this week that he's at 190. And it certainly shows in his game too because in addition to his stick-handling, he's really effective at protecting the puck with his body against bigger opponents.

Patmac40 is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 09:08 PM
  #402
Leehh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Canada
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
Jonathan , himself, stated this week he is currently 5'10 3/4 and 190 lb. The game is not just about hands, it is also about between the ears. It is between the ears, the vision, that Drouin has it above his peers including Teuvo.

And I said before, who will turn out better, let me know in five years.
If you would see teuvo more you'd be saying exact opposite, the thing here is that Drouin will be ready for NHL sooner because of the fact that he has played NA style hockey his whole life. That's also solely the reason why scouts tend to rank them NA players higher. Skill wise i'd go for teuvo before drouin at the moment, like you said time will tell, my moneys on teuvo.

Leehh is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 09:12 PM
  #403
Leehh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Canada
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Speaking from experience, it's damn hard to lose 10 pounds in just a month's worth of games and practices because on top of the cardio you're still gaining muscle mass. He'll likely drop to about the 184-185 range at season's end. He already said this week that he's at 190. And it certainly shows in his game too because in addition to his stick-handling, he's really effective at protecting the puck with his body against bigger opponents.
I personally did lose 10-15lbs in first month, so that's the base for my thought's.

Leehh is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 09:16 PM
  #404
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
 
Patmac40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
I personally did lose 10-15lbs in first month, so that's the base for my thought's.
The training that these guys go through on a day-to-day basis makes it almost impossible for that to happen unless they just never drink water at all.

Patmac40 is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 09:24 PM
  #405
Leehh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Canada
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
The training that these guys go through on a day-to-day basis makes it almost impossible for that to happen unless they just never drink water at all.
I know, that was exact same for me back then. For me it was easy to gain/lose weight.

Leehh is offline  
Old
10-15-2012, 09:28 PM
  #406
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
OK, HalifaxDucks, let me know if I am overstating the point when I say that the size issue with Drouin is becoming a non-issue especially since he just came through a growth spurt and may have another one left in store and 5'11 and 190 is quite acceptable at 17. Granted strength is still something he has to work on, however, he is unlikely to fall in the draft like Teravainen because one of the reasons Teravainen fell was because of size and strength.

As to who is better, that is still to be determined, they are different players. Teravainen has skating and stickhandling as his core assets; Drouin has vision and passing. Who will be better, wait five years. My money is on Drouin because I think there are fewer unknowns with him - could I be wrong; let me know in five years.
I don't think size was too big an issue last season... In the playoffs he showed his ability to out-muscle bigger players along the boards which I was very impressed with. It's next ot impossible to knock him or Nathan off the puck, and has controlled the play so well this season.

He has grown a little, and has put on weight as he said in an interview with John Moore a couple of days back.

IMO, no ones vision is better than Jo's for this draft... Can't speak on hands, but he must be up there.

RJQuack is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 07:53 PM
  #407
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Jo's got some nasty hands... Right up in the top of his class.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 08:42 PM
  #408
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
I personally did lose 10-15lbs in first month, so that's the base for my thought's.
So does Byfuglien every year, you guys should learn to keep the weight off in the summer

HabLover is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 08:52 PM
  #409
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,753
vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
So does Byfuglien every year, you guys should learn to keep the weight off in the summer
Byfuglien? I think you mean 45-50 lbs.

Victorious Secret is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 09:39 AM
  #410
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,898
vCash: 50
Playmaker or sniper?

seafoam is online now  
Old
10-19-2012, 09:42 AM
  #411
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,976
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Playmaker or sniper?
Both.

But playmaker more than sniper.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:07 AM
  #412
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,898
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Both.

But playmaker more than sniper.
Thanks, how is his skating? He seems to have all tools and the offensive skill set to be a force in the NHL but he needs the skating to go along with it.

seafoam is online now  
Old
10-19-2012, 11:11 AM
  #413
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
 
Patmac40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Thanks, how is his skating? He seems to have all tools and the offensive skill set to be a force in the NHL but he needs the skating to go along with it.
Incredibly deceptive agility. Good speed in general. Doesn't have quite the same explosive quality that Mackinnon has but his agility combined with his stick-handling makes defenders miss an awful lot.

Patmac40 is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 11:26 AM
  #414
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,898
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Incredibly deceptive agility. Good speed in general. Doesn't have quite the same explosive quality that Mackinnon has but his agility combined with his stick-handling makes defenders miss an awful lot.
Thanks! He seems very underrated, I wouldn't be suprised if he was the best foward to come out of this draft in 5-10 years.

seafoam is online now  
Old
10-19-2012, 11:38 AM
  #415
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Thanks! He seems very underrated, I wouldn't be suprised if he was the best foward to come out of this draft in 5-10 years.
He definitely has that potential. People often compare him to Eberle and Giroux, who were both picked in the back half of the first round but ended up atleast near the top in their draft class.

mapes is online now  
Old
10-19-2012, 11:50 AM
  #416
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Thanks! He seems very underrated, I wouldn't be suprised if he was the best foward to come out of this draft in 5-10 years.
I dont find him underrated at all, he is ranked where he should be and gets plenty of hype. I think he could be a top foward in this draft aswell.


Last edited by 1972: 10-19-2012 at 12:17 PM.
1972 is online now  
Old
10-19-2012, 12:40 PM
  #417
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,898
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
I dont find him underrated at all, he is ranked where he should be and gets plenty of hype. I think he could be a top foward in this draft aswell.
Underrated may have not been the right word to use, I meant more like overshadowed by the MacKinnon hype.

seafoam is online now  
Old
10-19-2012, 12:52 PM
  #418
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Incredibly deceptive agility. Good speed in general. Doesn't have quite the same explosive quality that Mackinnon has but his agility combined with his stick-handling makes defenders miss an awful lot.
Have you noticed Drouin's new top gear this year? It's faster. His skating is improved and doesn't lag behind MacKinnon, although he can't kick it into top gear as quickly.

And I think he's a playmaker in the NHL. Both in junior. Making a case to threaten Monahan and Barkov as top forward after Nate.

RJQuack is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 01:38 PM
  #419
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
 
Patmac40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Have you noticed Drouin's new top gear this year? It's faster. His skating is improved and doesn't lag behind MacKinnon, although he can't kick it into top gear as quickly.

And I think he's a playmaker in the NHL. Both in junior. Making a case to threaten Monahan and Barkov as top forward after Nate.
Oh yes I've noticed. His skating has definitely improved. Like I said his explosiveness of kicking it into the next gear isn't up to the level Mackinnon's is but there's a solid improvement from last year. Agility is definitely his strongest suit no doubt.

Patmac40 is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 01:50 PM
  #420
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,090
vCash: 500
Still not back yet; officially out for tonight's game vs. Sherbrooke.
Cam Russell said last game that if these were playoff games he'd be in the lineup, but they're waiting for him to be 100%.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:37 PM
  #421
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Is he day to day ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 10:56 PM
  #422
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Is he day to day ?
Yes, he's officially been "day-to-day" for the duration of the injury.
He did tweet that he can't wait to get back onto the ice today, so hopefully he's finally ready to get back at it.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 11:02 PM
  #423
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yes, he's officially been "day-to-day" for the duration of the injury.
He did tweet that he can't wait to get back onto the ice today, so hopefully he's finally ready to get back at it.
It's his ankle right ? Or is that Duclair ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 11:03 PM
  #424
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
It's his ankle right ? Or is that Duclair ?
That's Duclair

Drouin = shoulder. Drouin won't play till at least Wednesday.

RJQuack is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 11:06 PM
  #425
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
That's Duclair

Drouin = shoulder. Drouin won't play till at least Wednesday.
What was the inital timeframe ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.