HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/W Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL 2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Dgill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
So what is Drouin's realistic NHL upside? He kind of reminds me of Jordan Eberle. Or is he more Patrick Kane?
I think his skill set is similar in the way Patrick Kane/Claude Girioux plays. Small flashy forwards who are exceptional with the puck, can put up points, great hockey sense, and great speed.

What I love about Drouin is his work ethic. He never takes a shift off and is always skating in both ends creating opportunities for his team. That's something that we haven't been seeing from MacKinnon as much as of late, at least not as much as he was doing earlier on.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:39 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
So what is Drouin's realistic NHL upside? He kind of reminds me of Jordan Eberle. Or is he more Patrick Kane?
Not much Eberle IMO. More Kane/St. Louis/Giroux ... Maybe not the tenacity that Giroux brings, but the finesse, sense and size the other two do.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:44 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Drouin seems driven and goal oreinted while MacKinnon seems coasting and content with where he is at the moment. MacKinnon needs to simplify his game and go back to the basics. Drouin on the other hand can just keep playing like he has.

I'm excited for Saturday's game. It would be nice to see MacKinnon have a big game against a rival to get the ball rolling again.
it's becoming like a broken record amongst Moose fans ... MacKinnon wants the highlight reel goal every night and Drouin seems to be more the fan favorite now, me included.

MacKinnon's still a big game player and I hope he steps up when the going gets tough in the playoffs ...

And by the way there's little chance the game Saturday night happens at this rate ... Bathurst won't travel in this snow.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:16 PM
c_robio

Was also at the game Wednesday night

Other than the unsportsmanlike penalty, I thought Mackinnon was better in the 1st period, created some chances and made a real nice breakout pass to spring Frk on a breakaway. He also made a real nice cross ice feed, I can't remember who it was to though. He has been snakebit lately. I don't think he's coasting by any means, always brings it every shift. He does seem to be pressing but I'm not really worried.

In the 2nd and 3rd periods Drouin hit another gear and was just phenomenal. He looked like an obvious #1 overall pick, and yes I've seen Jones play multiple times. There was one shift where he had a dangerous rush up the left side, then a Rimouski player was skating the puck out of their zone with Albethauser following him, Drouin just flies by our top Defenseman strips the Rimouski player and heads back in for another dangerous rush up the right side, just incredible.

Jones and Mackinnon likely go 1 and 2 for physical and positional reasons, but based purely on hockey talent Drouin is alone at the top imo.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Tripod

Watching the game tonight on Sportsnet, and Drouin has stood out more. But it was just announced that MacKinnon might not return due to an injury. And now Moncton is beating Halifax 5-2....and Halifax was winning 2-0 at one point.

Old
02-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Watching the game tonight on Sportsnet, and Drouin has stood out more. But it was just announced that MacKinnon might not return due to an injury. And now Moncton is beating Halifax 5-2....and Halifax was winning 2-0 at one point.
To be fair, our defence (minus Weegar) is utter ****... like seriously... absolute ****. Drouin now has a 16-game point streak, and with MacKinnon possibly out this will be his time to shine and show just how good he can be without him.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Daneurism

Caught the game tonight.

I thought both Mackinnon and Drouin looked very good. I'm not sure who played better.

Shame that Mackinnon didn't play the full contest.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:44 PM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
I can honestly see him sliding out of the top-3, only because of the amount of 2-way, big stud centres ranked in the top-10 (MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm)

However it ALWAYS comes down to who picks where and what their scouts deem to be their personal BPA

Old
02-08-2013, 10:50 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
To be fair, our defence (minus Weegar) is utter ****... like seriously... absolute ****. Drouin now has a 16-game point streak, and with MacKinnon possibly out this will be his time to shine and show just how good he can be without him.
Yeah I've been defending our D for awhile, but it's starting to become more noticeable ... Konrad has played terrible the last few, as have Hardie and Murphy ...

Time for Drouin to step up anyways.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
I can honestly see him sliding out of the top-3, only because of the amount of 2-way, big stud centres ranked in the top-10 (MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm)

However it ALWAYS comes down to who picks where and what their scouts deem to be their personal BPA
This, exactly this. 150% this.

Old
02-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Leehh

1. Jones
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. Mac

Old
02-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
1. Jones
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. Mac
Bold statement, care to back it up with some reasoning?

Old
02-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Backlund

vCash: 50
A GM will have to be high out of his mind to take Drouin 1st. It's Jones or MacKinnon, Drouin will go top 5.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

Should be interesting to see how Drouin plays without Nate out there creating all that space for him due to injury. I'm guessing he will "coincidentally" play worse for any amount of time Nate's out. Could see clear signs of it against Moncton after Mackinnon left in the second.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
Should be interesting to see how Drouin plays without Nate out there creating all that space for him due to injury. I'm guessing he will "coincidentally" play worse for any amount of time Nate's out. Could see clear signs of it against Moncton after Mackinnon left in the second.
I'm not so sure he'll "play worse"... He already showed at the WJC that he was able to play without him; granted he was playing with TWO spectacular line-mates, whereas with Halifax he has Frk and whoever will be put on the first line (not to take anything away from them)..

Personally, I think they should move a winger up and put Drouin at centre... it's his natural position, and it'll help him prove that he's a multi-position player. If it doesn't work, switch it up.. but at least give him the chance.

As for the Moncton game, what exactly did he do that showed him "playing worse" without Nate?

EDIT: Take a look at posts 72 & 74... It wasn't Drouin that was playing worse, it was the whole team. Sure he didn't have his best game, but when you're getting dominated like that, I don't expect you to make highlight reel plays without the line-mate you have tremendous chemistry with.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Cut and Dry Sports
@TA_Stephenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post

LOL. Can I get a drink of that to?

If anything, Nate has been carried by Drouin this season. JD has been the superior player since September. Superior meaning he's light years better? No, but he's played better.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Dgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut and Dry Sports View Post
LOL. Can I get a drink of that to?

If anything, Nate has been carried by Drouin this season. JD has been the superior player since September. Superior meaning he's light years better? No, but he's played better.
To be fair when Drouin was injured Nate played exceptional. To say Nate has been carried by Drouin isn't a fair statement. Although Drouin has played better when they've been both healthy. This has been especially noticeable as of late with how flat MacKinnon has been playing.

MacKinnon really needs to kick back into the gear he was playing at in October.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
To be fair when Drouin was injured Nate played exceptional. To say Nate has been carried by Drouin isn't a fair statement. Although Drouin has played better when they've been both healthy. This has been especially noticeable as of late with how flat MacKinnon has been playing.

MacKinnon really needs to kick back into the gear he was playing at in October.
I wish I could have thought of this... I was trying to say the exact same thing, but after the 4th paragraph I just decided not to bother

A few notes:
Nate's longest point drought was 2 games, Drouin's is only 1.
Nate's longest goal drought is 5 games (twice).. Drouin's is 6.
In Nate's first 5 game goal drought, he had 4 assists.. His second, 6 assists.
In Drouin's 6 game goal drought he had 8 assists.
Nate is a +37 in 41 games, with 69pts (28g 41a).. and 43pim.
Drouin is a +30 in 35 games, with 73pts (29g 43a).. and 20pim.
If Drouin wasn't hurt, at his current pace, he'd game 85pts by 41 games.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:43 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
If I were a GM, I don't know that I'd ever take a guy who could just be on a hot-streak over guys like MacKinnon and Jones. Drouin is obviously a very talented young player, but if you let 9 games bump him up from #3/#4 to #1, you're either probably not a very good scout, or one of the absolute best.

Old
02-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
If I were a GM, I don't know that I'd ever take a guy who could just be on a hot-streak over guys like MacKinnon and Jones. Drouin is obviously a very talented young player, but if you let 9 games bump him up from #3/#4 to #1, you're either probably not a very good scout, or one of the absolute best.
How is Drouin on a hot streak? He is the only player...drafted or not drafted that is averaging over 2 PPG for the season. I guess he is on a season long streak.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:04 PM
mapes

Drouin on a hot streak? Lol, what?

Old
02-10-2013, 08:12 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

I'm a bigger fan of Drouin as a prospect than I was of Yakupov last year. The ability to make plays in traffic is huge with me and I feel Drouin is ahead of Nail in this regard. That being said I think Jones is #1 on 25 or more teams lists right now.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:44 PM
SnapVirus

I'd take Drouin on the Habs.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:06 PM
BlueStorm

Today I saw Drouin for the second year in a row at the Tim Bits Jamboree in Halifax. Last year I was surprised at how he interacted with the kids. This year was even better. He stood out amongst the other Mooseheads. He played on both teams, encouraging the kids by showing off his fancy stick handling and getting them involved in the game. When a kid fell over he helped them up, when a kid scored he cheered like it was a gold medal goal. He jumped back and forth between two games played cross ice with a lot of energy. Last year he spent a couple of minutes speaking with my 4 year old at the end of the game with great enthusiasm. Today he traded sticks with a little guy and played with his stick, the kid forgot about the puck and skated around showing off Drouin's stick to his friends and coaches.
There is more to a franchise player than his ability to score or body check. Drouin is of great character. After Seth Jones' comments at the world junior I see some attitude in him. As for MacKinnon, he was mysteriously absent from last year's Tim Bit jamboree and again this year. I know he is injured but he could have made an appearance in the kids dressing rooms for a meet and greet. Last year he just didn't show up.
What ever team gets Drouin will have a great PR/community relations asset and a 50 goal high light reel sniper.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:48 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStorm View Post
Today I saw Drouin for the second year in a row at the Tim Bits Jamboree in Halifax. Last year I was surprised at how he interacted with the kids. This year was even better. He stood out amongst the other Mooseheads. He played on both teams, encouraging the kids by showing off his fancy stick handling and getting them involved in the game. When a kid fell over he helped them up, when a kid scored he cheered like it was a gold medal goal. He jumped back and forth between two games played cross ice with a lot of energy. Last year he spent a couple of minutes speaking with my 4 year old at the end of the game with great enthusiasm. Today he traded sticks with a little guy and played with his stick, the kid forgot about the puck and skated around showing off Drouin's stick to his friends and coaches.
There is more to a franchise player than his ability to score or body check. Drouin is of great character. After Seth Jones' comments at the world junior I see some attitude in him. As for MacKinnon, he was mysteriously absent from last year's Tim Bit jamboree and again this year. I know he is injured but he could have made an appearance in the kids dressing rooms for a meet and greet. Last year he just didn't show up.
What ever team gets Drouin will have a great PR/community relations asset and a 50 goal high light reel sniper.
What comments from Jones are you referring to?

Closed Thread