HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C/W Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL 2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 07:27 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
What comments from Jones are you referring to?
I have no idea. Maybe the "US is the best team" comment? Jones seems like captain material to me.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Oiled up*

vCash: 500
Jones, future captain and Best prospect on the planet.
He doesn't get enough exposure because he is playing in the WHL.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
1. Jones
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. Mac
Great list.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Nope, he won't go 1st unless he puts up Gretzky numbers here on in.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Tripod

If Drouin had played the same amount of games as Mackinnon, the points for each would be 84 for Drouin and 69 for Mackinnon(assuming current pace). That's getting to be big gap in points.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
jigglysquishy

In all honesty, there are three first overall picks this year. Drouin, MacKinnon and Jones are all as good if not better than Yakupov.

To who actually goes first? I see a split of Mac and Jones. Depending on scout.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
In all honesty, there are three first overall picks this year. Drouin, MacKinnon and Jones are all as good if not better than Yakupov.

Yaks > all 3 right now. chill out.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Cut and Dry Sports
@TA_Stephenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
Yaks > all 3 right now. chill out.
You're not doing it right...

All 3 right now > Yakupov this time in 2012.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Drouin on a hot streak? Lol, what?
35 games hot streak brah
pretty inconsistent player overall

Old
02-11-2013, 02:30 PM
c_robio

Quote:

Agree, Yakupov would be 4th or 5th in the 2013 draft class

Old
02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut and Dry Sports View Post
You're not doing it right...

All 3 right now > Yakupov this time in 2012.
Actually it's:

Top picks in 2014 > Top picks in 2013 > Yakupov. If I were a GM, I'd trade my 1st rounder for a 1st round pick in 2020.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:49 PM
AD1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Actually it's:

Top picks in 2014 > Top picks in 2013 > Yakupov. If I were a GM, I'd trade my 1st rounder for a 1st round pick in 2020.
But wait until you see what 2030 has to offer.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Actually it's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1066 View Post
But wait until you see what 2030 has to offer.
Guys, Mark Jankowski has already been drafted.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:08 PM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Actually it's:

I know you're being facetious, but its not like every number 1 is equal year on year. For number ones in their draft year it's looking like

2015 (McDavid)> 2009 (Tavares) > 2013 (Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon) > 2010 (Hall, Seguin) > 2013 (Ekblad, Reinhart) > 2011 (RNH) > 2012 (Yak)

They're all fantastic hockey players, but some years are stronger than others.

McDavid will likely fall behind Tavares. Ekblad could walk away the only one winning trophies. Drouin could be a bust. Yak could repeat the Art Ross. It's all up in the air.

But right now, let's not pretend that the number one in 2012 is better than the number two of 2013 just by virtue of being a first overall pick.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:11 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1891
Quote:
I know you're being facetious, but its not like every number 1 is equal year on year. For number ones in their draft year it's looking like

2015 (McDavid)> 2009 (Tavares) > 2013 (Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon) > 2010 (Hall, Seguin) > 2014 (Ekblad, Reinhart) > 2011 (RNH) > 2012 (Yak)

They're all fantastic hockey players, but some years are stronger than others.

McDavid will likely fall behind Tavares. Ekblad could walk away the only one winning trophies. Drouin could be a bust. Yak could repeat the Art Ross. It's all up in the air.

But right now, let's not pretend that the number one in 2012 is better than the number two of 2013 just by virtue of being a first overall pick.
I don't completely agree with your rankings, but I completely agree with your point. People need to understand this.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:43 PM
BlueStorm

Quote:
Jones, future captain and Best prospect on the planet.
Jones is a year older than MacKinnon which makes a big difference at this level. Jones is also a large player compared to the kids he is playing against. It's easier to look good when you can knock 90% of your opponents around because you are 6 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:42 PM
RJQuack

Quote:

Old
02-11-2013, 10:43 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
Bold statement, care to back it up with some reasoning?
If you look at what that poster has said before, don't expect one lol

Old
02-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Cut and Dry Sports
@TA_Stephenson

Quote:
Actually it's:

That was quite the knee slapper, unfortunately for you, no one ever insinuated that the next year will somehow normally supersede the previous year, year after year.

What's wrong with saying that Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin are better quality potential first overall's in February of their draft years then Yakupov was? Because that's all that was claimed in the first place.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:53 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStorm View Post
Today I saw Drouin for the second year in a row at the Tim Bits Jamboree in Halifax. Last year I was surprised at how he interacted with the kids. This year was even better. He stood out amongst the other Mooseheads. He played on both teams, encouraging the kids by showing off his fancy stick handling and getting them involved in the game. When a kid fell over he helped them up, when a kid scored he cheered like it was a gold medal goal. He jumped back and forth between two games played cross ice with a lot of energy. Last year he spent a couple of minutes speaking with my 4 year old at the end of the game with great enthusiasm. Today he traded sticks with a little guy and played with his stick, the kid forgot about the puck and skated around showing off Drouin's stick to his friends and coaches.
There is more to a franchise player than his ability to score or body check. Drouin is of great character. After Seth Jones' comments at the world junior I see some attitude in him. As for MacKinnon, he was mysteriously absent from last year's Tim Bit jamboree and again this year. I know he is injured but he could have made an appearance in the kids dressing rooms for a meet and greet. Last year he just didn't show up.
What ever team gets Drouin will have a great PR/community relations asset and a 50 goal high light reel sniper.
If the jackets were picking #1 that right there would separate him from Mackinnon and Jones. Ever since the last few failed drafts the jackets have started to weight character pretty heavily when taking players into consideration. And personally id rather have a guy who can put up 75 pts but elevate his whole team and community to a whole other level than a guy who can put up 100 but is a "lone wolf" type.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:15 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Today I saw Drouin for the second year in a row at the Tim Bits Jamboree in Halifax. Last year I was surprised at how he interacted with the kids. This year was even better. He stood out amongst the other Mooseheads. He played on both teams, encouraging the kids by showing off his fancy stick handling and getting them involved in the game. When a kid fell over he helped them up, when a kid scored he cheered like it was a gold medal goal. He jumped back and forth between two games played cross ice with a lot of energy. Last year he spent a couple of minutes speaking with my 4 year old at the end of the game with great enthusiasm. Today he traded sticks with a little guy and played with his stick, the kid forgot about the puck and skated around showing off Drouin's stick to his friends and coaches.
There is more to a franchise player than his ability to score or body check. Drouin is of great character. After Seth Jones' comments at the world junior I see some attitude in him. As for MacKinnon, he was mysteriously absent from last year's Tim Bit jamboree and again this year. I know he is injured but he could have made an appearance in the kids dressing rooms for a meet and greet. Last year he just didn't show up.
What ever team gets Drouin will have a great PR/community relations asset and a 50 goal high light reel sniper.
Kind of OT but ... If you're talking about the "Hals pals skate", MacKinnon was there. There's pictures of him there ...

And agree on Drouin. A lot of Team Canada players described as the "kid" of the group with the child-like energy in him ... So I see him as a great guy to market and build around for the community that drafts him.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:10 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Jones is a year older than MacKinnon which makes a big difference at this level. Jones is also a large player compared to the kids he is playing against. It's easier to look good when you can knock 90% of your opponents around because you are 6 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier.
Definitely agree about the age. But Jones is also pretty lanky and needs to fill out his body, and when you are tall for your age it also generally takes a bit longer to get used to your growing frame. It's not like Jones is a physical monster for his age.

It is the thought of him continuing to grow into his body and physically develop combined with his skill, skating and smarts that is impressive.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:13 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
If the jackets were picking #1 that right there would separate him from Mackinnon and Jones. Ever since the last few failed drafts the jackets have started to weight character pretty heavily when taking players into consideration. And personally id rather have a guy who can put up 75 pts but elevate his whole team and community to a whole other level than a guy who can put up 100 but is a "lone wolf" type.
Jones seems like a great character guy and has been called a future NHL captain. While Drouin's work in the community should certainly be commended and is a positive sign for his character I think a team will still choose who they feel is the BPA, as they should (with character, drive and other intangibles being part of that equation).

Old
02-12-2013, 09:02 AM
LeafDangler

Wait, before this goes any further, MacKinnon has a ridiculous amount of appearances and draws on his time around Halifax and attends all of them. Far more than Drouin (not that it matters). Lets not go making character assessments based on one guy's anecdote about MacKinnon not attending a timbits skate 2 days after he suffered a knee injury.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
35 games hot streak brah
pretty inconsistent player overall
For sure. Take out his best 30 games this year and what do you got?

Closed Thread