HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

International Hockey better than NHL?

Old
12-03-2013, 08:04 PM
xsnyper

vCash: 500
International Hockey better than NHL?

Personally, I prefer international hockey tournaments over the NHL. I find them more exciting and I prefer the rules/regulations (larger ice, automatic icing, no fights, etc).

I'll actually watch the World Championships instead of the NHL playoffs despite most of the best players not being there.

Do you think one day NHL will adopt all international rules?

xsnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Erikfromfin

Columbus GM Jarmo Kekäläinen stated that he wants to bring the 3 point system from Europe to NHL. As first european GM in NHL his going to be key players convincing other gms etc in gm meetings to international systems etc.

Erikfromfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:44 PM
JackSlater

Sometimes it's better. The top end teams are better than NHL teams, but the lower level teams are much worse. The lack of chemistry can be a double edged sword in terms of entertainment value.

No, the NHL will never adopt all IIHF rules. It's ambiguous at best as to whether or not those rules produce a better product, and it's not like international rules have any sort of historical significance over the rules used in the NHL. Some rules might change (fighting) but the NHL for example would never increase the ice size and lose out on those seats for basically no monetary gain.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Yakushev72

For me, two things about international hockey make it more interesting: (1) generally more of an all-star lineup in international hockey as opposed to club teams, and (2) the element of nationalism, which creates more drama and intensity than the more contrived city versus city rivalry, especially when the vast majority of players have no connection to the cities they represent.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
For me, two things about international hockey make it more interesting: (1) generally more of an all-star lineup in international hockey as opposed to club teams, and (2) the element of nationalism, which creates more drama and intensity than the more contrived city versus city rivalry, especially when the vast majority of players have no connection to the cities they represent.

I agree.

I'm less interesting in players from Ontario supposedly representing teams in Florida or California, than I am in a USA vs Canada game. Regardless of whether that game consists of AHL players or only European based ones. (That said, I recognize the benefit that those players have on growing the sport in the southern US).

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote