HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Iron Man 3

Old
04-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Gobo
Stop looking Gare

vCash: 500
I thought Thanos was coming in Thor 2? Isn't that the "greater force"?

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
I thought Thanos was coming in Thor 2? Isn't that the "greater force"?
Thor 2 is about Malekith the Accursed and Hela.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:43 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
I loved it. Then again I love the character and RDJr. 1>3>2

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:57 AM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

Just got back from a midnight show, and I think The Avengers spoiled me. Seriously, this was not as good as the second one (which I liked and most people trashed). Too much comedy this time.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 04:11 AM
serge2k

I liked the second one, but this one was better.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 04:19 AM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
I liked the second one too but this was alot better. Definately recommend seeing it can't wait for the DVD to come out.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:06 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

I got bored with the endless comedic bantering. Especially with minor characters.

Spoil:
Too much of that kid, who just happens to be the smartest 10 year old in Tennessee at the very least. At least he didn't pal around with the TV truck guy for 20 minutes, although it looked like it was headed there.

Pepper gets sucked in by the deceptive scientist chick after what appeared to be a night of painting toenails and Hagen Das. Saw that coming a zillion miles away.

And The Mandarin. What a shame. They just crapped all over that character. If Nolan fanbois want to claim something was stolen from him, how about jokes about drunken British actors from "The Prestige"? Meanwhile we get another Obadiah/Justin Hammer type, just with a superpower.

Honestly, I had little idea who Shane Black was, but now that I know he wrote "Last Action Hero", it makes sense. Please keep this hack far, far away from The Avengers 2.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Adam Warlock

I had very high expectations for this movie. Marvel was on such a roll with the Avengers, and the trailer for I3 with the Mandarin, plus rumors of the Extremis based story...this movie just had so much potential. Needless to say I was a bit disappointed. The movie wasnt bad, but it had the potential to be great.

Spoil:
The first 40 minutes of the film were really promising. I really liked how they were portraying the Extremis characters and the Mandarin. To me, the logical thing to do was have the Mandarin push Stark to the emotional brink, and then have Stark use the Extremis to strengthen himself and set up for a show down.

Instead, they got too flashy, too gimmicky. The movie lacked feel because they went out of their way to make it silly. The Mandarin twist was a swing and a miss. Other than Loki, these Marvel movies have lacked a true villain...and the Mandarin had that potential. Killian was nothing special, and his "plan" was very unclear. What was the deal with the VP?

The action scenes were cool, but too forced. The airplane scene was just kind of thrown in there. That was really the biggest weakness of this movie...they tried to do too much. Many of the sub story lines were under developed. The president was just kind of there, and Rhodey was thrown in and out.

The biggest missed opportunity was the connection to the Avengers. There were some references...but they could have done a much better job and still not let it over shadow the fact that this was an Iron Man movie. The Extremis story line has a natural connection to Captain America and Hulk with the whole "trying to replicate the super soldier serum"...they didnt really explore that. The other obvious question they dodged was why wouldnt shield and captain america be involved with finding the Mandarin? Rhodey kind of touched on this...saying it needed to be and American issue...but when Stark had conversations with the kid...they could have easily had him say something on the subject...even if it was a subtle "I dont know where they are".

Overall, it was entertaining...but it could have been better. They have so much material to work with, I hope they do a better job with Thor 2 and Captain America 2.

Adam Warlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:25 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I had very high expectations for this movie. Marvel was on such a roll with the Avengers, and the trailer for I3 with the Mandarin, plus rumors of the Extremis based story...this movie just had so much potential. Needless to say I was a bit disappointed. The movie wasnt bad, but it had the potential to be great.
In regards to Killian's plan....

Spoil:
Basically, he was hired by the VP to kill the President is what I got from it. In the end, it was the old "I have no agenda, I just want money and power" like Hans Gruber in Diehard. It's becoming the new trope of all action films....pose as a terrorist with religious or political intent as a distraction to be a thief.

Old
05-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Philly85*
I Ain't Even Mad

Heard it sucks

Philly85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:17 PM
McSkittlez
Jumbo Trollton

Just watched it. I want to like it but I can't. I was rather disappointed. I know nothing about the Mandarin in the comics but the route they decided to take with the Mandarin was plain awful. IMO, this was better than Iron Man 2 which I thought was pretty mediocre. Iron Man 1 >>>>>>>>> Iron Man 3 >> Iron Man 2. The trailers made this movie seem like it had ton of potential, but it failed in the end.

McSkittlez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Heard it sucks
You heard wrong. It's not as good as the first one but you'll be entertained.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD12 View Post
I think personally a lot of these Marvel/Disney movies have been hit or miss so far, when it's good it's really good when it isn't it isn't but I am so freaking excited for Guardians of The Galaxy, all the casting so far is very intriguing I mean Chris Pratt (Andy Dwyer) as Star-Lord, Zoe Salanda as Gamora, Micheal Rooker (Merle Dixon) as Yondu, and Lee Pace will make an excellent villain. Dave Bautista's casting is a little strange to me but I'm banking on Drax not having a ton of meaningful dialogue. To me I think the voice of Rocket Raccoon will be immensely important and if the rumors of H. Jon Benjamin are ever confirmed I think this movie will shoot up my list of anticipated movies only behind TASM 2.
Director reveal Guardians is connected to Avengers 2: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/video/v2...vengers-2.html

Old
05-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Adam Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
In regards to Killian's plan....

Spoil:
Basically, he was hired by the VP to kill the President is what I got from it. In the end, it was the old "I have no agenda, I just want money and power" like Hans Gruber in Diehard. It's becoming the new trope of all action films....pose as a terrorist with religious or political intent as a distraction to be a thief.
Spoil:
That's an interesting take on it. I saw it as the other way around...the VP was working for Killian. The one scene at the VPs house they zoomed in on his daughter who was missing a leg. I wasnt sure what that meant, either Killian attacked his family to threaten the VP or maybe he offered his daughter a new limb from the extremis virus? Regardless, it still just seemed like a unnecessary sub plot that didn't really make much sense.

Adam Warlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:09 AM
kihei

vCash: 2003
Busy, very, very busy.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:16 AM
USC Trojans
Fight On!

I was a bit underwhelmed by the final battle though. They've been hyping up all the new armors but they barely got any screen time. Just flashing by the screen a few times...

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:37 AM
Slopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Spoil:
That's an interesting take on it. I saw it as the other way around...the VP was working for Killian. The one scene at the VPs house they zoomed in on his daughter who was missing a leg. I wasnt sure what that meant, either Killian attacked his family to threaten the VP or maybe he offered his daughter a new limb from the extremis virus? Regardless, it still just seemed like a unnecessary sub plot that didn't really make much sense.

Spoil:
The VP found out about the extremis and wanted it for his daughter. In return, Killian wanted to essentially be the US' main defense contractor, or something. That was my understanding.

Slopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Big Poppa Puck
U JUST MADE THE LIST

It was good. Probably better than 2. I enjoyed the comedic parts "Dads leave, don't be a ***** about it." "Mom I gotta go, something magical has happened"

I didn't mind the kid's parts too much, at first I was cringing because I thought there would be too much of it and would lead to something dumb like the cheesy crane scene in Spiderman.

I hated how they ruined The Mandarin character, even if the actor guy did bring some laughs. I also didn't like how we didn't see a lot of "Iron Man" it was mostly just Tony Stark.

The post credits scene did really add anything either. It was just there. You'd think they set up Thor 2, Cap 2 or The Avenger 2 or something.

I'm looking forward Wolverine and Thor 2 later this year, I hope they're better.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopo View Post
Spoil:
The VP found out about the extremis and wanted it for his daughter. In return, Killian wanted to essentially be the US' main defense contractor, or something. That was my understanding.
Mine too.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
It was good. Probably better than 2. I enjoyed the comedic parts "Dads leave, don't be a ***** about it." "Mom I gotta go, something magical has happened"

I didn't mind the kid's parts too much, at first I was cringing because I thought there would be too much of it and would lead to something dumb like the cheesy crane scene in Spiderman.

I hated how they ruined The Mandarin character, even if the actor guy did bring some laughs. I also didn't like how we didn't see a lot of "Iron Man" it was mostly just Tony Stark.

The post credits scene did really add anything either. It was just there. You'd think they set up Thor 2, Cap 2 or The Avenger 2 or something.

I'm looking forward Wolverine and Thor 2 later this year, I hope they're better.
I think it served more as a reminder that Stark and Banner are still associating with each other. Also I think they(or rather Whedon) haven't fully thought out Avengers 2 yet, making hints to that a bit too difficult at this stage. Like I posted previously, Guardians Of The Galaxy seems to set it up more.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Fire AV
#FreeMcIlrath

vCash: 420
First of all, the post credit scene is not worth waiting for.

Spoil:
I was actually positively surprised, aside from the villain. The other thing that bothered me, was that the scene showed that Stark is still actively in contact with the Avengers. It's obviously hard to do for every movie, but it really didn't make sense that he couldn't get any backup from his friends, like you know... the god, or the monster. Still, aside from that plot hole, which was pretty unavoidable anyways, it was a great movie.

Fire AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Miss Mess

I loved it - RDJ was great as always!

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:32 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post

Thor looks pretty good, I don't have high hopes for Wolverine.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:43 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Well, forecasts have 3 crushing it, on pace for the 2nd biggest opening ever, only behind Avengers. They are going to be hopelessly lost without RDJ, though. He is getting pretty expensive and he's tiring of the role. I have my doubts about him doing another movie after Avengers 2.

Eventually they are going to attempt a reboot or continuation without him, and it will be both far too soon and a mistake. The same thing will happen to Batman. Hollywood just doesn't know when to leave things alone, or how to walk away on top. It's a shame, because there are other characters that deserve attention.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:46 PM
kingsholygrail
Smug

MFW... First half of the movie.

MFW.. Second half of the movie.

What happened to sticking with the source material, Marvel?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote