HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Late Edition: Game Notes, Chi Wolves Vs's Hamilton Bdogs

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2004, 03:17 AM
CorneliusBennet

vCash: 500
Late Edition: Game Notes, Chi Wolves Vs's Hamilton Bdogs

Caught this game on friday night. Quick notes as follows.

Impressive Players:

Chris Higgins - loved this kid. First time I've seen him play and he was rock solid. Really sound in every area of the game, made some really heady passes, always seemed to make the smart play, created offensive chances, was solid in his own zone and in every way shape and form looked like a very solid NHL prospect. He was very impressive. IMO there is simply no comparison as to who I'd want on my list of prospects if given the choice between Higgins and Wellwood. Higgins will be an effective NHL forward one day... He can play at the NHL pace, he can make plays at NHL tempo. He doesn't really appear to have any glaring weaknesses and he played a very smart game. NHL bound, folks.

Plekanec - shifty. I didn't really get a feel for his finishing skills and I don't have my actual game notes in front of me (this is from memory, or what's left of my memory...) so I don't have a detailed analysis of his game but I recall that he can make plays at speed and had a high, typically high, euro skill level. Had at least three or four scoring chances that I saw.

Ron Hainsey - yeah, I know what this is going to get me from the Hainsey-bashing crowd but he played a really solid game on Friday night from what I saw (again, from memory. I just remember him being a very noticable player out there who at times determined the flow of the game) of him. Was really impressed with his size as he seemed really big on the ice. Seemed to actually use his size effectively at times as well. Moved the puck competently. I saw no particular reason why he has incured the wrath of so many people on this board but maybe I haven't seen enough of him. He looked fine to me.

Duncan Milroy - I have no idea where he stands in the list of Montreal prospects and I don't really care to look it up be he was very noticable in Friday's game. Really one of the best players up front for Hamilton. He may have just had a strong game, however, but created some things up front and had some nice opportunities. Intriguing, based on the one game I saw...

Indifferent to:

Kostitsyn - Watched him the entire game. Made particular attempts to seek him out on the ice and see what he brings. I didn't really get a good feel for him as he wasn't the most visible player on the ice. Did pick up a point, however, a primary assist which was more of a lucky bounce than a particularly great play by Kostitsyn. You could tell this guy is a rookie in the AHL, as he pretty much played like one. I don't care if you're a first round pick or not, your first year in any league is going to be one of adjustment. Kost is adjusting from what I saw. He wasn't noticable *behind* the play but he certainly didn't create and never really had a shift where I stood up and took notice. Certainly didn't create the way Higgins did, which was surprising to me. Higgins is pretty obviously used to the N.American game, Kostitsyn doesn't yet appear to be, at least not at the professional level.

Trevor Daley - I kept thinking to myself "wow, who's the dink out there that is way too small to play defense at the NHL level?" I don't care if he's listed at 5'10'' he looked very, very small out there. He was also pushed around a lot. No physical presence whatsoever. Still, a ton of skating skill, had a really nice offensive upside to his game and let go a couple of great, quick shots. Offensively was very impressive, defensively was absolutely terrible. This is a team's best prospect? Huh. Go figure.

Steve Ott - I'm not indifferent to him, I want to bash his face in. What a punk. I guess if I can't say anything nice about the guy

Corey Locke - Honestly I think Hamilton could save some money in airfare by simply putting Locke and Daley in a suitcase together and sending them as frieght instead of having to buy them seats on the plane. They'd both fit. Locke is a superlightweight. Maybe he can play at the NHL level and survive but it's a pretty steep hill he's going to have to climb. I didn't see super offensive upside that screamed "I'm going to the NHL no matter how big I am" but he is a talented offensive player. Again, intriguing, not much else. A huge, huge wildcard who is less likely to make it in/to the NHL, IMO, than he is to get stuck playing at the AHL level.

By the way Travis Roche played another great game for Chicago. Giving respect where it's due. Another step on that guy and he'd be something at the NHL level. His vision of the ice and passing ability are NHL quality. Too bad he's just not a good enough skater to be an effective NHL offensive dman, IMO.

Old
12-06-2004, 01:35 PM
DaveyCrockett

Thanks for the notes. Its always interesting to hear the opinion of someone who saw a prospect play in person.

Old
12-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Double O Soul

always enjoy your posts CB

Old
12-06-2004, 02:16 PM
CorneliusBennet

my pleasure and glad to do it. thanks for your positive feedback.

Old
12-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Another "eyewitness" who agrees with me about Trevor Daley. It's seems in the last few games they have paired him with JP Cote who has returned from injury. IMO Cote was our best defensive defenseman in Hamilton last year, I just hope playing with Daley doesn't hurt his potential in the eyes of Montreal. This is one guy who deserves a chance when/if the NHL plays again.

Old
12-06-2004, 08:54 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

CorneliusBennet great job, I think you summed up these players well. The only thing I'll point out is that Hainsey is inconsistent at best, has the size and skill, seems to lack the smarts or at times the effort. I thought he was great when he was a rookie in the AHL, since he was big, skates well, decent speed and seems to move the puck well, but his play in his own end is shaky at times, he's not physical enough in the crease and if you were at the Hamilton vs Wilkes Bare Pens, oh my did Hainsey ever blow it. With the team already down 3-1, Hainsey fumbles with the puck in his own end while on the PP, has it taken from him for a breakaway SH goal, 4-1 game over. This is why fans can't stand Hainsey at times. He can be great one night, piss poor the next. I really don't think he has the smarts to be a top notch NHLer but he does have a very solid base of skills.

Also Milroy has not been too effective this year, as he's a smart player positionally and solid along the boards, he seems to lack any confidence in the offensive zone. But he's a very slow starter. Don't ask me why but going back to his days with Swift Current and Kootenay, he seems to always start the season slow, then heats up as it goes on, ending the season much better then he starts it.

As for Ott, I really can't stand him and in the 4 road games I went to, he seemed to be the most hated player by the fans. His offensive game isn't much to talk about from what I've seen.

Daley is a great skater but much like Hainsey he really makes some boneheaded plays in his own end. Not the oh he just messed up, but more like, what the hell was he thinking or was he thinking at all?

Higgins has been snake bit this year, he's been a standout player at every level, going back to Avalon, Yale, Team USA, and as a AHL rookie he was 6th in the league in scoring and only 20. This year he has gotten his chances but he's hitting posts, or just wide, right at the goalie. I do think he'll pick it up as the season goes on.

Plekanec is the teams leading scorer this year and was last year as well. He's short but stocky, and he tends to play a little dirty at times. Overall he's very solid all round, but excells offensively. Seems to have good lower body strength which makes him hard to knock off the puck.

Kostitsyn hasn't really played all that well in any of the games I've been to. He looks like he's trying not to make a mistake defensively, but I'll say it seems to be helping his defensive game, since it was his biggest weakness in the past. Still seems very very raw, although not speaking any English can be a problem. I love his shot though, it's heavy and fast, needs some work on the accuracy though.

Old
12-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Steve Ott - I'm not indifferent to him, I want to bash his face in. What a punk. I guess if I can't say anything nice about the guy
Quote:
As for Ott, I really can't stand him and in the 4 road games I went to, he seemed to be the most hated player by the fans.
That's my boy.. Seems to be doing just fine to me.

Old
12-07-2004, 11:40 AM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
CorneliusBennet great job, I think you summed up these players well. The only thing I'll point out is that Hainsey is inconsistent at best, has the size and skill, seems to lack the smarts or at times the effort. I thought he was great when he was a rookie in the AHL, since he was big, skates well, decent speed and seems to move the puck well, but his play in his own end is shaky at times, he's not physical enough in the crease and if you were at the Hamilton vs Wilkes Bare Pens, oh my did Hainsey ever blow it. With the team already down 3-1, Hainsey fumbles with the puck in his own end while on the PP, has it taken from him for a breakaway SH goal, 4-1 game over. This is why fans can't stand Hainsey at times. He can be great one night, piss poor the next. I really don't think he has the smarts to be a top notch NHLer but he does have a very solid base of skills.

Also Milroy has not been too effective this year, as he's a smart player positionally and solid along the boards, he seems to lack any confidence in the offensive zone. But he's a very slow starter. Don't ask me why but going back to his days with Swift Current and Kootenay, he seems to always start the season slow, then heats up as it goes on, ending the season much better then he starts it.

As for Ott, I really can't stand him and in the 4 road games I went to, he seemed to be the most hated player by the fans. His offensive game isn't much to talk about from what I've seen.

Daley is a great skater but much like Hainsey he really makes some boneheaded plays in his own end. Not the oh he just messed up, but more like, what the hell was he thinking or was he thinking at all?

Higgins has been snake bit this year, he's been a standout player at every level, going back to Avalon, Yale, Team USA, and as a AHL rookie he was 6th in the league in scoring and only 20. This year he has gotten his chances but he's hitting posts, or just wide, right at the goalie. I do think he'll pick it up as the season goes on.

Plekanec is the teams leading scorer this year and was last year as well. He's short but stocky, and he tends to play a little dirty at times. Overall he's very solid all round, but excells offensively. Seems to have good lower body strength which makes him hard to knock off the puck.

Kostitsyn hasn't really played all that well in any of the games I've been to. He looks like he's trying not to make a mistake defensively, but I'll say it seems to be helping his defensive game, since it was his biggest weakness in the past. Still seems very very raw, although not speaking any English can be a problem. I love his shot though, it's heavy and fast, needs some work on the accuracy though.

Great post.

Old
12-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Quote:
As for Ott, I really can't stand him and in the 4 road games I went to, he seemed to be the most hated player by the fans.

Steve Ott, you complete me.

Old
12-07-2004, 01:10 PM
CorneliusBennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Verstinks
Steve Ott, you complete me.
Yeah, apparently Otter had him at "Hello"

Closed Thread