HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECQF: #2 Boston Bruins v. #7 Washington Capitals Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2012, 01:15 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
ECQF: #2 Boston Bruins v. #7 Washington Capitals Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
You proposed Neuvirth and a 2nd. That's absurd.
They got Echlecher (sp?) who isn't even playing in North America. Roster spot filler.
Yeah, losing Neuvirth would have been a death knell of the Caps playoff chances.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I just don't know how much Knuble has in his legs.

He's too slow to really get in on the forecheck and as a result, he's a Holmstrom or bust type of player. Take a 7-8 minute time period of ice time, maybe more if he's got PP time.

When he's not scoring, that's a lot to gamble.

I think Aucion's rubbish, but I have to wonder if that spot shouldn't go to Halpern. Faceoffs = critical. Beagle's doing great, but Halpern's a vet.
If he gets into on the forecheck he could exhaust the hell out of Boston just cycling it around.

I want to see a Ward-Halpern-Knuble line working the boards at least once before I die.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
It's ridiculous how much he turned his game around. I watch a fair share of Columbus games for work and he's been coast city for them for 2 years. They practically threw a parade when he was shipped out.
He was also brought in as a top-6 player, and then relegated to checking line and PK duties this season.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:17 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, losing Neuvirth would have been a death knell of the Caps playoff chances.
Well maybe that would have been holtby who got sat on.... So maybe!

Old
04-15-2012, 01:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Well maybe that would have been holtby who got sat on.... So maybe!
Haha, well true enough.

The entire premise of that trade suggestion was that I believed in Holtby more than Neuvirth, so dealing a current and future backup for a 2C was good business. Obviously what's transpired since then only strengthens my convictions on that issue.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
The NHL ends after the 2012 playoffs i guess.

Vermette at 2C leaves us wanting a 2C.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:22 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Haha, well true enough.

The entire premise of that trade suggestion was that I believed in Holtby more than Neuvirth, so dealing a current and future backup for a 2C was good business. Obviously what's transpired since then only strengthens my convictions on that issue.
I'm with u 100%. After seeing him last year in dc I was sold on him as the goalie. Neuvy has a cheap contract. Good enough to go in next season with those two. If a hockey trade can be made as you suggested, then move him and get a journeyman #2. Otherwise we'll have cheap goalie contracts next season.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:22 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
The NHL ends after the 2012 playoffs i guess.

Vermette at 2C leaves us wanting a 2C.
I guess you don't think the guy currently dominating the series in net has any chance to be the starter next season?

Neuvirth at 1G leaves us wanting at 1G.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
I guess you don't think the guy currently dominating the series in net has any chance to be the starter next season?

Neuvirth at 1G leaves us wanting at 1G.
Neuvirth had a typical sophomore slump. Let's see how he does next year, when he's still only 23 years old, before we completely write him off like you've been doing for so long.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:30 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Neuvirth had a typical sophomore slump. Let's see how he does next year, when he's still only 23 years old, before we completely write him off like you've been doing for so long.
Yeah, maybe he'll bounce back and claw his way up to league-average again.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:32 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Caps vs Bruins Part2

Son... Thanks!

Previous thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1157777

Stupid iPad I can't edit title. Another mod please fix title to a complete title ala first one.

Last edited by HSHS: 04-15-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old
04-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Ridley Simon

Neuvirth isnt the make or break player for the Caps in G. Once we traded Varlamov, that make or break G became Holtby.

Neuvirth is a solid tender, and of course he could possibly grow as a player. Or, he may not.

As much as Braden Carlzner wants to tout the fact that Neuvirth isnt done growing at the age of 23, while that certainly true...so is the opposite. He could arguably get worse (remember Jim Carey, people?).

Just because a player is young doesnt mean their growth will always be better. For all we know, this could be as good as it gets for Neuvirth. Maybe his pinnacle was last season's numbers, and performance.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
We don't need to turn another thread into the same discussion about Neuvirth. No one's opinion seems to have changed. Let's just leave it. Please.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Neuvirth isnt the make or break player for the Caps in G. Once we traded Varlamov, that make or break G became Holtby.

Neuvirth is a solid tender, and of course he could possibly grow as a player. Or, he may not.

As much as Braden Carlzner wants to tout the fact that Neuvirth isnt done growing at the age of 23, while that certainly true...so is the opposite. He could arguably get worse (remember Jim Carey, people?).

Just because a player is young doesnt mean their growth will always be better. For all we know, this could be as good as it gets for Neuvirth. Maybe his pinnacle was last season's numbers, and performance.
You can say the same for Holtby.

Why trade either of them?

Old
04-15-2012, 01:46 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
You can say the same for Holtby.

Why trade either of them?
If you don't get it at this point, you never will.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I think either have a similar chance to be alright.

there's just a bigger book on one, and there's less on the other.

I think many, rightfully, gravitate to the fiery NA goalie. It is what it is.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Changing the topic, where has Beagle been working on his draw skills and why did Bruce not utilize him?

Old
04-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
He was also brought in as a top-6 player, and then relegated to checking line and PK duties this season.
After he started playing like crap with Nash, yeah. It was probably a vicious Columbus cycle.

Old
04-15-2012, 01:59 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Changing the topic, where has Beagle been working on his draw skills and why did Bruce not utilize him?
Because gmgm would rather overpay for the likes of steckel and brads on 4th line

Old
04-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Did anyone else notice the look on Backstrom's face after he took that slapshot just before he scored? You could see how much he wanted to score (and then he did). Despite his performance last year, Backstrom's going to be a playoff hero throughout his career. I cannot overstate how much I love the guy.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
We don't need to turn another thread into the same discussion about Neuvirth. No one's opinion seems to have changed. Let's just leave it. Please.
**** yeah we do

Old
04-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Ridley Simon

Looks like McQuaid wont be back for game 3 or 4, according to ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/...ling-games-3-4

Thats good news for the Caps. More Joe Corvo!

Old
04-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

much as i hate a lot about strategies and such, 1 thing the players can control is how many of them play well at once. among the forwards it seems we cant get enough of them playing well in the same game. game 1 its A and B, game 2 its C and D while A and B are invisible.

beagle is winning draws but we need a lot more from a 3rd line. chimmer needs to step up and be a factor. couldnt we use his speed on the forecheck? oh wait, i forgot, we just dump, no chasing involved.

i wonder as well how long the D can keep up the mistake-free hockey. that 3rd pair is gonna be game-to-game, hopefully theyre solid enough in G3 so the caps can get a lead in the series and ensure a 3rd home game.

Old
04-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Watching the replay of the goal from the low angle, I'm not so hard on sarge for that play. He blocked the shot. He's doing what he's told. Puck was shot in, he brings his lega together to close the gap. He's just not quick enough to respond like others. When u strategize to block shots, that happens. Confluence of a deflected shot, slow reaction by sarge and Hendricks, poor decision by holtby.
That is how I saw it also. Schultz didn't locate the puck after he blocked the shot until it was pretty much too late for him to clear it. When you are looking to block a lot of shots like the Caps are doing you are accepting that those blocked shots can end up anywhere.

Schultz was slow to locate the puck, Hendricks was slow to recognize that Schultz didn't know where the puck was, and Holtby was way too aggressive.

It happens. If anyone is expecting perfection then I don't know what to tell them...

Old
04-15-2012, 02:34 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

For all the regular season discussions about playing with a lead, I am curious if anyone else thought we didn't sit back, shell, turtle, whatever you want to call it, in the 3rd, more than in the previous 5 periods.

I think we did not. Someone posted in the GDT, they thought we did a little. And he may be right and I am fine if we did.

I didn't see us under siege at least. Alzner hinted about opening it up a bit more in a pregame tweet. We can only speculate about playing with a lead in the 3rd, was what he was talking about, though.

Closed Thread