Notices

[Speculation] J.Staal Unhappy in Pitt

Old
04-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Nordberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I'd actually do Staal for Gio without thinking twice.
Same here, and I think the Pens might go for this.
I love Gio but I don't think he's as important as some make him out to be. We would lose even more physicality on the back end though.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Rangediddy

vCash: 567
I could handle a Gio for Staal, but only if Brodie continues to develop as well as he was while he was healthy this year.

He'd replace most of the things Gio has so we'd still have a pretty good offensive defensman as well as the great defensive offenseman.

Rangediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 04:33 PM
nogger
Former 4th liner

Yikes, I would never give up Gio for Staal.

This would slightly make our offence better, but horribly deplete our already weak backend.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 04:37 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Yikes, I would never give up Gio for Staal.

This would slightly make our offence better, but horribly deplete our already weak backend.
Exactly. The Flames defensive depth is really weak. They move Giordano and they have no one to fill in. Some are going to say Brodie, but who fills in Brodie's spot?

If the Flames make a move it has to be forward for forward or defenseman for defenseman, or two separate deals where you find that same balance. If they are going to only move one guy and want Staal it likely has to be Iginla or Cammalleri that gets shipped out.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 04:43 PM
nogger
Former 4th liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Exactly. The Flames defensive depth is really weak. They move Giordano and they have no one to fill in. Some are going to say Brodie, but who fills in Brodie's spot?

If the Flames make a move it has to be forward for forward or defenseman for defenseman, or two separate deals where you find that same balance. If they are going to only move one guy and want Staal it likely has to be Iginla or Cammalleri that gets shipped out.
Iginla for Neal

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:42 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Iginla for Neal
Neal is younger, cheaper, better and signed long tem.

Lots of luck with that one.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:57 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Iginla for Neal
We wish. Never going to happen.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Xelstyle

The only depth we'd have is on LW. If we move Iggy, I'd like to see some RW come back whether it's a proven top 6 or a prospect on the border.

On the topic of Staal, some people are regarding him way too highly...would he be the Flames' best center? Absolutely. Doesn't make him a #1 though. He still needs to reach the #2 status. In periods where Crosby/Malkin have either/both been down, Staal hasn't exactly stepped up and shown offensive prowess to be a #1 or a great #2.

Still...won't complain if we get the guy somehow.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Flameshomer

Gio for staal, then draft one of the many good defensemen available at 14 to replace him.
all I see is winning.

Honestly though, I hate to say it, I think we'd have to add to gio to make it go. Even though he's great.

Flameshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:01 AM
MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post

I think Brodie could replace pretty much everything that Gio provides within 2 seasons. You are right in your point, and I see no reason why we couldn't trade a forward for another dman, or just sign one via FA this offseason. Gio for Staal is a trade you make 10 times out of 10. Its a fact that dman are easier to find than top centreman. We also have Leach and Ramage in our system and I think Connolly may perhaps be able to step in the role that Brodie provided last season as well.

I hate to say it, but I think we would need to add as well. I think the Pens would either want a draft pick or someone like Howse.

MVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:53 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
I think Brodie could replace pretty much everything that Gio provides within 2 seasons. You are right in your point, and I see no reason why we couldn't trade a forward for another dman, or just sign one via FA this offseason. Gio for Staal is a trade you make 10 times out of 10. Its a fact that dman are easier to find than top centreman. We also have Leach and Ramage in our system and I think Connolly may perhaps be able to step in the role that Brodie provided last season as well.

I hate to say it, but I think we would need to add as well. I think the Pens would either want a draft pick or someone like Howse.
One significant advantage we have this summer is cap space. This is a valuable asset especially since our owners will spend to the cap. This puts us in a position to pick up a decent but overpaid player in a trade to help prevent creating gaping holes.

I agree with your assessment that it will take Giordano+ to land Staal, well what if we put in Backlund, then it becomes Gio & Backlund for Staal+ IMO. The Pens (or at least the fans) would like to get rid of Martin who is a good defenseman that plays top 4 minutes, based on ability alone he is worth more than Backlund IMO, but because of his contract his value drops so maybe we could pull off a deal like this.

to Pens:
- Giordano
- Backlund
to Flames
- Staal
- Martin

we add a bigger contract but we pick up Staal without creating a major void in the lineup

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:19 AM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

vCash: 352
Staals the real deal. 50 points and 25 goals in 62 games, so nearly a point-per game and would be a 30 goal scorer. This was with 2nd line center minutes, playing with Dupuis and Sullivan and 2nd PP unit. He also finished the last 11 games as the #3. Now imagine if he had been on the first line with Neal and Kunitz. 82 points and 35 goals? Plus his defensive skills

AimForTopCheddar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
to Pens:
- Giordano
- Backlund
to Flames
- Staal
- Martin

we add a bigger contract but we pick up Staal without creating a major void in the lineup
I'd call adding Martin creating a huge void in the lineup.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:17 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimForTopCheddar View Post
Staals the real deal. 50 points and 25 goals in 62 games, so nearly a point-per game and would be a 30 goal scorer. This was with 2nd line center minutes, playing with Dupuis and Sullivan and 2nd PP unit. He also finished the last 11 games as the #3. Now imagine if he had been on the first line with Neal and Kunitz. 82 points and 35 goals? Plus his defensive skills
I've been saying for 2-3 years now we need to go after this guy for his #1 potential. Too bad, at this point we likely do not have resonable expendable assets to acquire him.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:55 PM
MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
One significant advantage we have this summer is cap space. This is a valuable asset especially since our owners will spend to the cap. This puts us in a position to pick up a decent but overpaid player in a trade to help prevent creating gaping holes.

I agree with your assessment that it will take Giordano+ to land Staal, well what if we put in Backlund, then it becomes Gio & Backlund for Staal+ IMO. The Pens (or at least the fans) would like to get rid of Martin who is a good defenseman that plays top 4 minutes, based on ability alone he is worth more than Backlund IMO, but because of his contract his value drops so maybe we could pull off a deal like this.

to Pens:
- Giordano
- Backlund
to Flames
- Staal
- Martin

I'd do that deal. I still think Backlund has potential and I don't want to totally give up on him because he's left a sour taste in my mouth after this season, but it would be worth it IMO. Martin seems to be in a comparable (not entirely the same) situation that Bouwmeester is in here. He has never really found his niche with the Pens. Perhaps with a change of scenery, and the right coach, he could turn things around again.

I think the Pens do this for the cap flexibility this deal gives them and they get a quality 3C back with upside.

If Feaster could pull this deal off, my next move would be to acquire Raymond from the Nucks.

Old
04-20-2012, 03:07 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
I'd do that deal. I still think Backlund has potential and I don't want to totally give up on him because he's left a sour taste in my mouth after this season, but it would be worth it IMO. Martin seems to be in a comparable (not entirely the same) situation that Bouwmeester is in here. He has never really found his niche with the Pens. Perhaps with a change of scenery, and the right coach, he could turn things around again.

I think the Pens do this for the cap flexibility this deal gives them and they get a quality 3C back with upside.

If Feaster could pull this deal off, my next move would be to acquire Raymond from the Nucks.
Surprisingly, I've always been a fan. Bring the kid home already!

Old
04-20-2012, 04:03 PM
MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Surprisingly, I've always been a fan. Bring the kid home already!
Staal and Raymond would fall under the age group that the Flames are lacking in. They would both fill needs on our roster and would tie us over until the next generation of prospects are ready for the show.

Old
04-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

God no Raymond is awful. Haven't you guys watched the games?

Sean Monahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:11 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalkeg View Post
Buy low and sell high...There is no doubt in my mind Raymond can add something that this team is lacking. I've watched most of Raymond's career, he is a solid support guy for points and is fast as hell.

Old
04-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Buy low and sell high...There is no doubt in my mind Raymond can add something that this team is lacking. I've watched most of Raymond's career, he is a solid support guy for points and is fast as hell.
I like Raymond too. He'd likely be cheap and I think there is upside to him. We're set on the left side though, so one of him, GlenX, Tanguay or Cammaleri would have to move over.

On Staal, moving Giordano would kill us right now. We have 2 top 4 defensemen right now, we'd have one without him. I understand guys like Suter, Jackman, Wideman and Stuart are available this summer, but there's no guarantee any of them want to sign with a team that has missed the playoffs for three straight years. We have no clear direction right now and that needs to change in a hurry. I'm an advocate of the non-scorched earth rebuild. Like the Blues, Flyers and Sens. But for that to work you actually have to move UFA's at the deadline. Something Feaster has yet to do.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:07 PM
MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalkeg View Post
Raymond has had an off year, but he's speed would be a huge asset to our team. I also think Raymond has the potential to reach 30 goals. He would get that opportunity here as well. Like Gnome said, his value is at an all time low. I would be all over acquiring him.

Old
04-20-2012, 06:24 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Raymond has had an off year, but he's speed would be a huge asset to our team. I also think Raymond has the potential to reach 30 goals. He would get that opportunity here as well. Like Gnome said, his value is at an all time low. I would be all over acquiring him.
Mason Raymond is essentially a Blake Comeau clone without the physical presence.
I know you mention he would get an opportunity here, but he has been given that opportunity on a MUCH better Vancouver team and has done nothing with it. The only trade I would consider is something around Babchuk and Raymond.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:14 PM
King Of The North
Iggy2014GoBruins

He's had two off years now...now way he can get 30 goals unless a top talent carries him there

King Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:13 PM
MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Mason Raymond is essentially a Blake Comeau clone without the physical presence.
I know you mention he would get an opportunity here, but he has been given that opportunity on a MUCH better Vancouver team and has done nothing with it. The only trade I would consider is something around Babchuk and Raymond.
Raymond is actually an RFA after this season, something around Babchuk may not be that far off. Although I think they are interested more in a dman similar to Hannan, and since he's a UFA that does us no good.

Trust me, I hear your concerns about Raymond and they are valid. Your points are the reasons the Nucks fanbase is unhappy with him and why he may be available. My thought process is the guy still has good upside and has all the tools, he would come cheap and hopefully a change of scenery would get his game turned around. As long as the asking price wouldn't be huge, I think it would be worth it.

While Raymond lacks the physicality of Comeau, Comeau IMO lacks the offensive creativity and instincts that Raymond has which is why I prefer him. Again, I think Comeau looks like a lost puppy when he carries the puck in the offensive zone, and he always looks tentative when he shoots the puck on net.

I remember when Glencross played for Columbus, and every time we played them I was like who is this guy? His numbers were never great, but he seemed to always play well against us. I get the same feeling from Raymond, he seems to always have a good game against us and I'm sure he takes his game up a notch every time he the plays the Flames. I have a feeling that given the right opportunity that Raymond would do really well here.

Its just my opinion, of course I could be wrong...

Old
04-21-2012, 12:29 AM
StanDarsh

I'd take Staal in a heartbeat.

StanDarsh is offline   Reply With Quote