HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

give the Ducks a new Chris Kunitz

Old
04-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Elvs

vCash: 500
give the Ducks a new Chris Kunitz

I and many Ducks fans, would like to see a new Kunitz-like player alongside Getzlaf and Perry, to keep them going at all times and to simplify their game as they tend to become flashy and play on the perimeter at times. Someone who gives their all every shift and is physical. Doesn't have to be as good as Kunitz, but someone who at least could put up around 40 points on that line.

Who's available that could be had in return for Nick Bonino/Andrew Cogliano/2nd round pick (#36 overall), either seperately or in some combination of two or all three pieces involved?

Last edited by Elvs: 04-18-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Dubinsky?

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

For that? Nothing better than what they already have...Devante Smith-Pelly.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
For that? Nothing better than what they already have...Devante Smith-Pelly.
Unless DSP takes a major step forward next season, he's not gonna give you 40+ points even playing alongside those two. Even during his good period late in the season, he wasn't producing at a rate high enough that justifies for a top six forward (not even a complemtary kind of one). He's basically what Beleskey once used to be on that line, good when you wanted to spread the scoring out, but only there because we had no one else.

Also, I want DSP on the right wing on the 3rd line, as it seems we could have a small center there (Koivu) and potentially even Cogliano on the left side... It's also his natural position.

Last edited by Elvs: 04-18-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old
04-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Elvs

A realistic target, on a non-contender and that wouldn't cost the whole world, would be Chad LaRose, Carolina. Usually around the 35 point mark, could potentially reach the 40 mark on the Ducks top line and work out as a complementary guy imo. Good speed, great work ethic and good defensively. Is on a cheap contract too so he wouldn't be bad for the third line if he's not the answer on the top line.

Main thing is the Ducks, even after a trade for him, would still have the pieces left in adressing the biggest need. The 2nd line center hole.

Basically, I have a few ideas already but it's always interesting seeing what players you hadn't thought about might pop up, and who fans of other teams would be willing to give up.

Last edited by Elvs: 04-18-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old
04-18-2012, 06:22 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Tyler Kennedy? He looks like man-bear-pig but fits every thing you listed.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:32 PM
wej20

Dubinsky seems like the best suggestion so far.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Dubinsky seems like the best suggestion so far.
Best player named in the thread, sure. But the Ducks wouldn't get him for the pieces I pointed out, it would take the #6 overall and even then Dubinsky would probably slot in as our 2nd line center. So there would still be that hole left on top line.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:00 PM
AmericanRocket91

RJ Umberger, Kris Versteeg, Ryan Malone are three realistic possibilites. I'd think Malone would waive his NTC to play with the twins. RJ like Nash probably wants to get out of the Columbus. Versteeg might be harder to pry away because of his success this year but he'd be a good fit as well.

AmericanRocket91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Unless DSP takes a major step forward next season, he's not gonna give you 40+ points even playing alongside those two. Even during his good period late in the season, he wasn't producing at a rate high enough that justifies for a top six forward (not even a complemtary kind of one). He's basically what Beleskey once used to be on that line, good when you wanted to spread the scoring out, but only there because we had no one else.

Also, I want DSP on the right wing on the 3rd line, as it seems we could have a small center there (Koivu) and potentially even Cogliano on the left side... It's also his natural position.
Well, we can debate his potential progress, but for the pile of manure offered, you won't get anything better...which was my point.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Well, we can debate his potential progress, but for the pile of manure offered, you won't get anything better...which was my point.
So much more than just how good a player is determines someones value. There's a huge differance in value between a consistant 30+ point winger on a struggling team that's 30 years old (I'm keeping LaRose as an example) and a 40-60 point winger on a good team that's 25-30 years old (Dubinsky, Malone etc.).

It doesn't take Dubinsky to have an upgrade over DSP, there's plenty of players who ranks in an area in between those two. This is not bashing on DSP, I think he'll have a great future and just maybe could he turn out a good complementary top six winger next season already, but I don't like the idea of just handing the spot out to him. Add a consistant 30+ point winger that's physical to the team (again using LaRose as an example), if DSP proves better than him next season, then great. Suddenly we'd have LaRose on our 3rd line, at a reasonable contract too.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:48 PM
wej20

Quote:
Best player named in the thread, sure. But the Ducks wouldn't get him for the pieces I pointed out, it would take the #6 overall and even then Dubinsky would probably slot in as our 2nd line center. So there would still be that hole left on top line.
Dubinsky is much better as a LWer than a Centre.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Dubinsky is much better as a LWer than a Centre.
Yes he is. But if you move that #6 overall pick for Dubinsky, what are you going to use in acquiring a 2nd line center that's better than Koivu? Do that trade, your only options are.

a) play Dubinsky at center, deal the other assets pointed out in the OP for a complemantary top six winger.

b) play Dubinsky on the left wing on the top line and hope Murray can lurk Olli Jokinen into signing as a free agent. If he can't we're stuck with one of Koivu, Bonino or Holland as our 2nd line center.

If getting a guy of Dubinsky's or Malone's value, and still have the assets left to also go out and acquire a better 2nd line center than Koivu was so easy, Murray would have done so a long time ago.

This is why I want to spend the #6 overall pick on a new 2nd line center, and the less valuable assets showed in the OP on a winger that's not ideally a top six winger, but who could work out in a complentary role. Do the #6 overall pick for a winger if you want, but I (and I think I speak for you as well) see the hole on the center position as a bigger need to fill in exchange for that asset.

Last edited by Elvs: 04-18-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old
04-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Exit Dose

No one has said it yet, so I will: Penner.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Gundee1114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
No one has said it yet, so I will: Penner.
Personally, this is what I'm leaning towards. I wouldn't mind having a Top 6 of

Penner-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Koivu/FA/?-Selanne

Seems pretty decent to me

Gundee1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:15 PM
ponder

I'm sure Dubinsky would not cost the 6th overall pick, his trade value is much lower, he's been playing like crap for awhile. He's already behind Gaborik, Cally and Hagelin on the wing depth chart, if Kreider stats coming on strong next year Dubinsky could become obsolete in New York pretty fast, he could easily become a 3rd liner. They've got plenty of other wing prospects too, like JT Miller, Christian Thomas and Fasth, not to mention MZA who could potentially compete for a top 6 spot. I'm not convinced Torts loves Dubinsky, he could easily not be in their long term plans.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

MacArthur is a good complimentary player. He could probably get around 60 points while playing a decent all-around game.

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yes he is. But if you move that #6 overall pick for Dubinsky, what are you going to use in acquiring a 2nd line center that's better than Koivu? Do that trade, your only options are.

a) play Dubinsky at center, deal the other assets pointed out in the OP for a complemantary top six winger.

b) play Dubinsky on the left wing on the top line and hope Murray can lurk Olli Jokinen into signing as a free agent. If he can't we're stuck with one of Koivu, Bonino or Holland as our 2nd line center.

If getting a guy of Dubinsky's or Malone's value, and still have the assets left to also go out and acquire a better 2nd line center than Koivu was so easy, Murray would have done so a long time ago.

This is why I want to spend the #6 overall pick on a new 2nd line center, and the less valuable assets showed in the OP on a winger that's not ideally a top six winger, but who could work out in a complentary role. Do the #6 overall pick for a winger if you want, but I (and I think I speak for you as well) see the hole on the center position as a bigger need to fill in exchange for that asset.
Gross. Do not trade the 6th overall pick for Dubinsky, that would be horrible. I know you said not too but I just want to highlight that fact.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:

He was also like 19, playing on lower lines for the most part, and had a broken foot in there. His potential's much higher than Beleskey's, and could be quite fine in that role.

I'm all for Pancakes, though. Cheap, has chemistry with the two, will be cheap and probably motivated after some bad times in LA cost him some serious coin. If we go into next year with him, Pears, Ryan, Selanne, DSP and Palmieri as our top 9 wingers, I'd be pretty happy.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:34 AM
Halpysback

If Toronto fans are willing to move Kulemin it seems like he'd fit well up there.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:41 AM
DJN21

ville leino for free?

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
So much more than just how good a player is determines someones value. There's a huge differance in value between a consistant 30+ point winger on a struggling team that's 30 years old (I'm keeping LaRose as an example) and a 40-60 point winger on a good team that's 25-30 years old (Dubinsky, Malone etc.).

It doesn't take Dubinsky to have an upgrade over DSP, there's plenty of players who ranks in an area in between those two. This is not bashing on DSP, I think he'll have a great future and just maybe could he turn out a good complementary top six winger next season already, but I don't like the idea of just handing the spot out to him. Add a consistant 30+ point winger that's physical to the team (again using LaRose as an example), if DSP proves better than him next season, then great. Suddenly we'd have LaRose on our 3rd line, at a reasonable contract too.
Perhaps I wasn't very clear. For sure there are players who could come in and do the job better than DSP for now. But based on what was being offered it is my belief that you would get nothing of real value and hence, you would be better to go with what you have (DSP). Not that DSP should be the only option or that the team shouldn't look to upgrade if they can.

As to the Penner suggestions, well...I would rather not. I think everybody knows how inconsistent he has been through his whole career. There is an old saying that comes to mind...fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:46 AM
mpp9

Dubinsky is an unbelievably overrated player. 6th overall for him? Really?

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:34 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Dubinsky is an unbelievably overrated player. 6th overall for him? Really?
He had one down year, I hardly think that the Rangers (a cup contending team) would trade an established young 50+ wing center/winger for a 2nd round pick. You should look at what players were picked #6 overall the last ten years... You're defenitely not getting a sure future top six forward. I'm not saying the Ducks should do it (I would at least want the Rangers 1st rounder back as well), just that the pieces in the OP wouldn't get it done.

As for Penner, that's who I expect the Ducks will end up with. Unfortunely though, he doesn't play Kunitz style of hockey in the slightest.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:38 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Still, he's not that good, and is probably overpaid. I wouldn't really want to acquire him, let alone give up an asset that good.

I'd definitely toss it for Pavelski, though, maybe add a bit. IMO he's exactly what we need.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote